What's new

Joanne Wheaton: How Scientology Treats Widows and Orphans

J. Swift

Patron with Honors
Although the story of Joanne Wheaton has been told before, it bears repeating as a cautionary tale of how the Cult of Scientology treats widows and orphans.

The Apostle James said of true religion:

Pure and undefiled religion before our God and Father is this: to look after orphans and widows in their distress and to keep oneself unstained by the world. -- James 1:27. HCSB

Volume 70, Number 281 :
FRIDAY, February 10, 1984

Widow donated workers' comp benefits to sect

From Sun reports

The widow of an Air Florida pilot whose jet plunged into the Potomac got
$300,000 in workers' compensation benefits for her husband's death—and the
next day donated nearly half the money to the Church of Scientology.

Joanne Wheaton also invested much of the remaining payment in a firm operated by a Scientologist.

Larry Wheaton's plane crashed Jan. 13, 1982, onto a crowded bridge in Wash-
ington, D.C., and then into the Potomac River. Only five of the 79 people aboard
survived.

Wheaton and his wife were ardent Scientologists and had made sizable contributions to the sect before the crash.

Wheaton, 34, who was earning $72,000 a year as an Air Florida pilot, left no will.
His wife inherited their house in southwest Miami and a $142,000 life insurance
policy.

The life insurance money was Joanne Wheaton's to spend as she saw fit. But
not so with the workers' compensation benefits, a probate judge says.

"I was flabbergasted," Dade Probate Judge Francis Christie said of learning
that the workers' compensation money had been spent.

Christie told The Miami Herald in a story published Thursday that the money
was supposed to go into Wheaton's estate to pay off any debts and at least part
was supposed to be safeguarded until the couple's two sons, Eli, 2, and Joshua, 8,
turn 18.

Court records show Mrs. Wheaton got $300,000 on June 8, 1982, and the next day
spent $299,400 this way:

- $80,000 went to the Church of Scientology for church expansion. .
- $42,000 to the sect's Library Donation Service, which places books about
Scientology in public libraries.
- $8,000 to the building fund of the Learning Academy, a Scientology school
in Miami.
- $5,000 in gifts to Church of Scientology ministers.
- $150,000 invested with MSR Inc., a Dade County firm owned by a Scientologist named Robert Almblad.
- $10,000 in a certificate of deposit
- $4,000 for credit card debts left by
her husband.

Joanne Wheaton said in an interview with The Herald that her lawyers never
told her the workers' compensation money wasn't hers to spend.

"The funds I donated to the church were not supposed to have been donated," she said. "It was a little flub on the part of one of the attorneys. I had not been advised that by law, it had to go into the estate."

Former Florida Attorney General Robert Shevin, appointed by the probate
judge, filed suit Wednesday on behalf of Mrs. Wheaton and her two sons seeking
return of the $150,000 invested in MSR and punitive damages.

The various entities of the Church of Scientology are not named. Shevin wrote
them a letter threatening to sue, and $145,400 was returned.

The sect also excommunicated Almblad and another Scientologist, Kenneth
McFarland, who was the sect's deputy commander of international expansion at
the time. Shevin says in the suit that both men coerced Mrs. Wheaton to give
away the money.

Mrs. Wheaton also gave the sect at least $75,000 of her husband's insurance
policy. But since the policy was not a probatable asset, she was entitled to give
that away.

Five months after the crash, Mrs. Wheaton and her two sons moved to Bel-
leair. She remains a devoted Scientologist.

Contacted at her Belleair home Thursday evening, Mrs. Wheaton had no further comment....

ref: http://www.jlaforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=846408

/////

Last edited:

J. Swift

Patron with Honors
The Cult of Scientology sought to take all of Joanne's insurance money after her husband's tragic death. By doing this, the Cult robbed her children of their trust funds. Had the probate court not intervened, the money would have never been returned by the Cult.

Fast forward from 1984 to 2011 and we see that Joanne Wheaton is still a Scientologist.

In fact, she is a Squirrel Buster who was photographed last week in Texas with fellow Squirrel Buster Ed Bryan:

420110705193749001_t607.jpg

Despite Scientology taking $75,000 from her husband's life insurance policy after he was killed -- and seeking the $300,000 that was intended for her and her children's future -- Joanne remains in the Cult. What must go on inside of her head?

/////

Last edited:

Axiom142

Gold Meritorious Patron

-- Joanne remains in the Cult. What must go on inside of her head?

/////

I think I can answer that one.

“Not very much.”

From my experience, long-term Scientologists just can’t think for themselves. At least not outside of the parameters set for them by their cult. It’s almost as if there are a set of rules for allowable thoughts and patterns of behaviour. Deviation from these rules is not just not allowed, it is unthinkable.

I’ve had several conversations with die-hard cultists in East Grinstead and whenever I have crossed that line into Subjects That Cannot Be Discussed, it’s as if they become mortally afraid. “Don’t talk to me about that. I don’t want to hear it.”, “It’s not the truth!” “I’m auditing on OTVII right now and I don’t want to get into looking at that sort of thing.” And let’s not forget George Baillie being thrown into a rage by the suggestion that David Miscavige beat his staff.

I think that to remain a Scientologist for any length of time means that you have to be a certain type of person. But also, being in the cult for any length of time erodes your critical thinking abilities. We are now getting down to the hard-core cultists who are very difficult to get through to. Sadly, most who are left will probably never wake up now.

Long-term Scientologists just don’t think like other people.

Axiom142

SchwimmelPuckel

Genuine Meatball
I think I can answer that one.

“Not very much.” <snip>
An accurate observation! - Hmm.. That was one point in Intelligence Quotient per auditing hour that Hubbard promised?

I just want to highlight and emphasize the importance of this story that Swift posted here..

Usually we'd expect someone that had been cheated this badly and extorted this callously to be rather pissed about it.. But here we have the victim being ever so pleased about it!

That's Hubbardian Mindboggeling for you! - Scientology 'tech' doing exactly what it's supposed to do! - Bilk every last dime out of you, while conditioning you to be thankful for it!

Shit! - I need to yell some generalities out the window!!

:angry::duh::fighting:

HelluvaHoax!

Platinum Meritorious Sponsor with bells on
An accurate observation! - Hmm.. That was one point in Intelligence Quotient per auditing hour that Hubbard promised?

I just want to highlight and emphasize the importance of this story that Swift posted here..

Usually we'd expect someone that had been cheated this badly and extorted this callously to be rather pissed about it.. But here we have the victim being ever so pleased about it!

That's Hubbardian Mindboggeling for you! - Scientology 'tech' doing exactly what it's supposed to do! - Bilk every last dime out of you, while conditioning you to be thankful for it!

Shit! - I need to yell some generalities out the window!!

When a Scientologist first cognites that they are the victim of a con game, but they're not quite out yet....

howard-beale.jpg

"I'M AS 1.5 AS HELL
AND I'M NOT GOING TO
PULL IT IN ANY MORE!!"

Good twin

Floater
Wow. I sure wouldn't have recognized Joanne from that photo. I don't suppose I look much like I did in '82 either.

I just want to say that as much as I regret being part of the cult, I do remember Joanne getting compassion and support that wasn't totally mercenary. Larry's death was shocking and sad and Joanne's friends happened to be Scientologists. She did what she did because what she did is how Scientologists handle crisis. She didn't have to be crush regged. She was already on board.

Yes. It still sucks. I wonder how her kids are doing.

anonomog

Gold Meritorious Patron
Wow. I sure wouldn't have recognized Joanne from that photo. I don't suppose I look much like I did in '82 either.

I just want to say that as much as I regret being part of the cult, I do remember Joanne getting compassion and support that wasn't totally mercenary. Larry's death was shocking and sad and Joanne's friends happened to be Scientologists. She did what she did because what she did is how Scientologists handle crisis. She didn't have to be crush regged. She was already on board.

Losing a hubby when you have small kids is a horrible thing. I'm glad to hear she did get some compassion and support. I figured she was given a hard time as well as being crush regged. Thanks for that.

TheRealNoUser

Patron with Honors
snip...In fact, she is a Squirrel Buster who was photographed last week in Texas with fellow Squirrel Buster Ed Bryan:

Aren't Scientologists embarrassed by having to call themselves "Squirrel Busters"?

"Yes, that's right . . . you are an evil little squirrel, and I am here to bust you. Look, I even have an official-looking clipboard with a sticker issued by the International Association of Squirrel Busters. The sticker shows a squirrel with a line struck thru him and a circle. That means NO SQUIRRELS. It doesn't get more official than that. Yes, that's right buddy. If we find a squirrel, we are going to bust him."

Is that pretty much the thought pattern? Are there any ex-Squirrel-Busters here who can shed some retrospective light on this matter? Or is it all just too shameful?

Jachs

Gold Meritorious Patron
Aren't Scientologists embarrassed by having to call themselves "Squirrel Busters"?

Is that pretty much the thought pattern? Are there any ex-Squirrel-Busters here who can shed some retrospective light on this matter? Or is it all just too shameful?

The Master at Arms (Sea Org Ethics Officer) at St Hill in the 90s used to talk in tones of vengeance about beating up SPs, but he never went out and did it, but would try to incite rage and rig it, push it.I look back and see hubbards dark policies corrupting his mind.

I heard recently hes out of the Sea Org now, after the rage evaporates i bet he looks back at what the hell took a hold of him as he was actually a good guy, just like any war it needs language to incite hate, hubbards paranoiac writings the fuel.

TR'SIN

Patron with Honors
. . . . . .

Right GT? Hard to tell what makes the years take their toll. That was a real hard deal and she didn't even blink before shelling it all out. In fact, the resulting up roar was all about the SP's attacking the local group, rather than fact checking their relentless money-grabbing tactics.

I didn't like it then and like it even less now.:angry:

paulkatz

WHOA THERE, COWBOY! The woman pictured is not Joanne Wheaton of Clearwater, FL.

The Cult of Scientology sought to take all of Joanne's insurance money after her husband's tragic death. By doing this, the Cult robbed her children of their trust funds. Had the probate court not intervened, the money would have never been returned by the Cult.

Fast forward from 1984 to 2011 and we see that Joanne Wheaton is still a Scientologist.

In fact, she is a Squirrel Buster who was photographed last week in Texas with fellow Squirrel Buster Ed Bryan:

This woman is Joanne Wheaton (originally from Canada, I believe.) Past friends of the Joanne of this thread always knew of SB Joanne but haven't seen a foto before.
As to any judgements anyone cares to make, Joanne was a dedicated SCN and never regretted her donations, even after the judgement in Miami.
Larry was a friend of mine. Not an acquaintance or a hi how are ya. A friend. Yes, he was responsible for a terrible, preventable and, prehaps, unforgivable tragedy, for which he paid the ultimate price, leaving behind parents, a wife, a brother and two young sons.
What I do know is that had he survived, he would spend the rest of this life, and probably future ones, too, trying like hell to make up the damage.

paulkatz

[

The lady in the foto above is not the Joanne Wheaton referred to in this thread! Yes, the names are the same, and Joanne's friends from the old days in CLW knew there was another JW in Scientology, but until now, I've not seen a foto.
I have not seen her in years and don't know if she's in or out, tho I knew her to be a dedicated Scientologist.

paulkatz

That's because the woman in the foto is not Joanne Wheaton of CLW, FL. Yes, the names are the same, and JW's friends have always known there was another Joanne Wheaton in SCN, shown here. How could you a=a the Joanne in the foto with the lovely, slim, sexy, keyed out Joanne you knew in the 80's?

paulkatz

I know her. She's a fucking bitch. I swear a lot because I'm angry. I apologize to those I offend.
NAAM, which one do u know? If you have contact info for the Joanne I'm talking about (not the Squirrell Buster) pls email me <redacted>
Thanks.
PS and if "my" JW is a fing bitch now, she wasn't always that way

Last edited by a moderator:
NAAM, which one do u know? If you have contact info for the Joanne I'm talking about (not the Squirrell Buster) pls email me <redacted>
PS and if "my" JW is a fing bitch now, she wasn't always that way

I sent you a private message.

Last edited by a moderator: