What's new

John Sugg is now a Scientology member and Executive Editor of COS's Freedom magazine

CommunicatorIC

@IndieScieNews on Twitter
John Sugg is now a member of the Church of Scientology and the Executive Editor of the Church of Scientology's Freedom magazine.

As set forth in his 2008 Columbia Journalism Review article "Parting Thoughts," John Sugg has had a long career in journalism, having held senior editing and writing positions at The Miami Herald, Palm Beach Post, Atlanta Constitution, American Lawyer, Tampa Tribune, and the Creative Loafing alternative group.

As reflected in today's article by Tony Ortega, Mr. Sugg has now capped off that career by becoming a member of the Church of Scientology and the Executive Editor of the Church of Scientology's Freedom magazine:

http://tonyortega.org/2016/05/11/fr...month-absence-and-it-arrived-with-a-surprise/

* * * * * BEGIN EXCERPT * * * * *

We checked the masthead right away, and got a bit of a surprise. Here’s the entire staff list…

Executive Editor
John F. Sugg

Associate Editor/News
Bruce Leonard

Associate Editor/Investigations
Dan Luzadder

Associate Editor/Features
Ajay Singh

* * * * * END EXCERPT * * * * *

http://www.truthaboutscientology.com/stats/by-name/j/john-sugg.html

attachment.php

It is comforting to know that after a journalism career that began in 1970, Mr. Sugg has completed Student Hat and has learned how to properly use a dictionary and study.

Attachments

• JohnSuggScientologyServiceCompletions.PNG
    JohnSuggScientologyServiceCompletions.PNG
    131 KB · Views: 590
Last edited:

Knows

Gold Meritorious Patron
Re: John Sugg is now a Scientology member and Executive Editor of COS's Freedom maga

Poor John Sugg. He knows nothing about mind control and hypnosis. So the cult pulled the ole "see for yourself" trick on him...he went in and got hypnotized with the big talking panels...then did the student hat course where he got more influenced with the loaded language.

Perhaps John Sugg's should look into the real biography of L Ron Hubbard.

Use some skills he has before he does to much damage as he works for the devil and spends his blood money.

ForLease

Maximus Squirrel
Re: John Sugg is now a Scientology member and Executive Editor of COS's Freedom maga

Sugg himself showed up with a frothing mess of a smear post aimed at Tony. Check the comments under newer posts.

I'd bring it over, but it's not worth copying the lies.

Churchill

Gold Meritorious Patron

John Sugg was a wacko 9/11 conspiracy theorist (the "dancing Israelis who anti-Semites believe had foreknowledge of the attack) before Scientology.
He also was a defender of Palestinian Islamic Jihad leader, and convicted terrorist, Sami al-Arian.

Today he displayed his formidable TR-L journalistic talents, mounting an unbridled ad him attack on Tony Ortega.

Monique Yingling, aka "Blinky" is no longer the public face of Scientology, replaced, it seems, by this nut job.

CommunicatorIC

John Sugg responds.

http://tonyortega.org/2016/05/11/fr...t-arrived-with-a-surprise/#comment-2670713743

* * * * * BEGIN QUOTATION * * * * *

John F. Sugg • 4 hours ago

Oh, Tony, there you are, gutless as always. Your blog item shows a decided lack of knowledge about Freedom, and your propaganda voice is determined to skew every statement you utter. I once tried to ask you a question at an event, and that must have scared the bejesus out of you. Since you are in no way a journalist, you aren't compelled to confront the people you slime. You won't confront me -- you could have called me; I may or may not have told you much, but I would have at least noted that you engaged in a small bit of journalistic ethics by confronting an intended target of an attack. But you attempt to slither in through one of our associates, who, of course, laughed at your sad, sneaky little stratagem.

Although not particularly interested in a dialogue with you, I will comment on one thing: Stop whining. You have been outting people for years only because of their religious beliefs -- naming and providing pictures, in photos and places of, dear God, CHILDREN. But, then, with your backpage.com mentality, you seem to have a perverse fascination in kids. You have no problem with trafficking them, no issue with making them targets of your attacks. After attacking, attacking and attacking a religion for decades, when that religion gets curious about you, why you scream "intimidation!." Absolutely hilarious.

That's not just me talking. Heck, the anti-Scientology clan has pretty much outted you. True, you don't print their assessments of you on your blog; it might... um, enturbulate your cult-like followers. But here's celeb Carmen Llywelyn, who in a public letter summed you up: "“[W]hen I decided to finally confront you, out came more lies. … I hope no one is stupid enough to ever trust you again.” Even better, the alpha male of anti-Scientologists, Marty Rathbun, has come after you like a low-flying missile: "Tony Ortega’s blogging campaign against my wife Monique and me over the past three months has resulted in the largest wave of hate we have experienced" ... "Tony's sexist pitch" ... "Tony Ortega and his unnamed sources will rue this day when they declared Monique Rathbun as fair game and subjected her to intentional libel." That's a big "ouch," Tony.

You can call my response to GBP "unhinged." But, of course, you don't actually tell you the rabble what I wrote to GPB; you are, of course, a coward. So here's the nut of what I wrote:

"I am writing a media and ethics column dealing, in part, with the highly distorted program you ran on Scientology. I have a number of questions at the end of this message that derive from GPB’s Code of Ethics.

"I also have contacted the PR people in the Church, both at the international and Atlanta operations, and you apparently made no effort to reach them for comment. Instead you used a clip from another Atlanta station that hardly conveyed “other side” of the story. And you briefly mentioned one Church member, although he had no official capacity. Four prominent Atlanta citizens, all involved major humanitarian projects in Georgia (one of them a state senator), spoke at the Atlanta Church opening — you neglected any mention of their remarks, which actually talked about important issues in the city and state that are supported by the Church. You were, however, rudely dismissive about the one Scientologist you interviewed, saying other people would “dispute” his assertion about the Church’s alignment with MLK and Malcolm X. What other people? All four of the well-known African-American speakers at the Church opening very much resonated MLK’s vision, and they obviously applauded the Church’s furtherance of goals MLK would have endorsed.

"Before I go further, here are a few statements from GPB’s own Code of Ethics:

"'Fact check all claims before they are broadcast.'

"'Offer an opportunity for subjects to respond to direct or indirect allegations.'

"'Never offer an open forum to a single viewpoint without offering a similar opportunity for divergent or opposing viewpoints.'

"'Verify any claim with two independent sources before broadcast/publication.'

"'Be able to identify the source of every fact, even the ones that have been reported over and over.'"

"Have you read the GPB Code of Ethics? Is it your opinion that your broadcast on Scientology adheres to those ethical principles? Can you explain how or how not?

"The overwhelming bulk of your broadcast — more than 13-plus minutes out of 15:42 minutes — was devoted to an unchallenged attack on the Church by Tony Ortega, That’s comparable to a Holocaust denier being allowed 85 percent of a broadcast while the only response was a clip from other media stating the general position of the Anti-Defamation League.

"It is a matter of public record that Ortega was the chief spokesman for his previous newspaper employer in defending business practices that pimped children to pedophiles. Ortega and his employer have been highly criticized for profiteering from that human trafficking. Did you explain that to your listeners? Did you check Ortega’s background? Here’s a start:
Code:
http://thedailycannibal.com/2012/09/26/blameless-shameless/

"And, of course, why you should have been wary is that Ortega — who makes his living attacking Scientology (because he was ousted from his last newspaper job) — was allowed to state numerous false, deceptive and exaggerated items, while no effort was made to respond to them. One example, Ortega claimed there were fewer than 20,000 Scientologists in the world. Did you attempt to check that information? Did you have someone from the Church who could have responded? The obvious answer to both questions is “no.” In 2014, highly regarded economists at Florida State University conducted an exhaustive study of the economic impact of Scientology on Clearwater — determining that the Church added almost $1 billion to the local economy. The economists’ study showed that about 13,000 Scientologists live in the Tampa Bay area, while 9,000 visiting Scientologists are in Clearwater for extended stays each year. Those facts are readily available:
Code:
http://www.freedommag.org/issue/201412-expansion/single-greatest-contributor.html

"Again, based on easily available information, the number of visiting Scientologist in Clearwater has increased by about 284 percent since the Church opened its cathedral, the Flag Building, in November 2013.

"So, if there are roughly 20,000 Scientologists in Florida, how can there be only 20,000 Scientologists in the whole world, as Ortega mendaciously states? Churches are booming in Taiwan, Japan, Moscow, throughout Europe, Australia, New Zealand, Africa, not to mention dozens of U.S. Churches (and California has at least as many Scientologists as Florida). Based on information, again easily available, did you not question Ortega’s claim? Did you, as a journalist and as a GPB employee who should adhere to the organization’s Code of Ethics, check that fact? Did you check any of Ortega’s facts? Did you invite the Church to participate in your broadcast?
"Unlike you, I do offer a chance to respond. Please provide answers to the following questions, including any documentation you have to your answers.

"1. What information prompted you to do a program on Scientology in Georgia? Was it suggested by Ortega or a public relations practitioner?

"2. How was contact made with Tony Ortega? For what reason? Please provide me with any emails between you and Ortega before or after the broadcast.

"3. Were you aware that for 20 years Ortega’s primary activity was attacking Scientology? Were you aware that he seeks to profit from defaming the religion?

"4. Since Ortega was the single source for your program’s attacks on Scientology, did a vehement anti-Scientologist constitute a fair and balanced program?

"5. Did you question why Ortega left the Village Voice?

"6. Were you aware that Ortega was Village Voice’s primary defender of child sexual prostitution in the newspaper’s “Backpage.com”? Did you ask Ortega about his role in “Backpage.com”?

"7. Do you consider the advocacy of child prostitution to be credentials for any source appearing on a program on GPB? Does GPB generally support and give comfort to those who profit from human trafficking?

"8. Are you aware of the incidents where Ortega has fabricated entire stories, under fictitious bylines? Is that a reason he should be regarded as an “expert” on any subject?

"9. Ortega made many claims about Scientology. Did you make any effort to ascertain the validity of his claims? He claimed, as noted above, that there are fewer than 20,000 Scientologists. What evidence did he show? Is it your or GPB’s practice for sources to make highly disputed allegations without substantiation?

"10. Did you inquire about Scientology’s work in disaster relief, anti-drug programs, anti-psychiatric abuse efforts, and more?

"11. Have you ever met a Scientologist? Please name them. Have you ever been in a Scientology Church? Where?"

* * * * * END QUOTATION * * * * *

This is NOT OK !!!!

Gold Meritorious Patron

I guess he DID read KSW #1 at the start of Student Hat:

"This is a deadly serious activity, bla, bla, bla, every man, woman & child, bla, bla, bla. :spacecraft::aliengreeting::ignore:

Type4_PTS

Diamond Invictus SP

I guess John Sugg believes that exposing the lies, corruption, criminality, and countless human rights abuses of Scientology as an "attack". :duh:

John, if you are lurking in this thread by chance you may wish to investigate the organization you're working for. One of the nastiest organizations on the planet in the past 100 years.

Here's your next C/S:

WTFU!

whoisxenu

Patron with Honors

Well, Sugg certainly has FREEDOM'S style down:omg: Jim Lynch must be smiling in his grave.:hattip:

Knows

Gold Meritorious Patron

John Sugg responds.

http://tonyortega.org/2016/05/11/fr...t-arrived-with-a-surprise/#comment-2670713743

* * * * * BEGIN QUOTATION * * * * *

John F. Sugg • 4 hours ago

Oh, Tony, there you are, gutless as always. Your blog item shows a decided lack of knowledge about Freedom, and your propaganda voice is determined to skew every statement you utter. I once tried to ask you a question at an event, and that must have scared the bejesus out of you. Since you are in no way a journalist, you aren't compelled to confront the people you slime. You won't confront me -- you could have called me; I may or may not have told you much, but I would have at least noted that you engaged in a small bit of journalistic ethics by confronting an intended target of an attack. But you attempt to slither in through one of our associates, who, of course, laughed at your sad, sneaky little stratagem.

Although not particularly interested in a dialogue with you, I will comment on one thing: Stop whining. You have been outting people for years only because of their religious beliefs -- naming and providing pictures, in photos and places of, dear God, CHILDREN. But, then, with your backpage.com mentality, you seem to have a perverse fascination in kids. You have no problem with trafficking them, no issue with making them targets of your attacks. After attacking, attacking and attacking a religion for decades, when that religion gets curious about you, why you scream "intimidation!." Absolutely hilarious.

That's not just me talking. Heck, the anti-Scientology clan has pretty much outted you. True, you don't print their assessments of you on your blog; it might... um, enturbulate your cult-like followers. But here's celeb Carmen Llywelyn, who in a public letter summed you up: "“[W]hen I decided to finally confront you, out came more lies. … I hope no one is stupid enough to ever trust you again.” Even better, the alpha male of anti-Scientologists, Marty Rathbun, has come after you like a low-flying missile: "Tony Ortega’s blogging campaign against my wife Monique and me over the past three months has resulted in the largest wave of hate we have experienced" ... "Tony's sexist pitch" ... "Tony Ortega and his unnamed sources will rue this day when they declared Monique Rathbun as fair game and subjected her to intentional libel." That's a big "ouch," Tony.

You can call my response to GBP "unhinged." But, of course, you don't actually tell you the rabble what I wrote to GPB; you are, of course, a coward. So here's the nut of what I wrote:

"I am writing a media and ethics column dealing, in part, with the highly distorted program you ran on Scientology. I have a number of questions at the end of this message that derive from GPB’s Code of Ethics.

"I also have contacted the PR people in the Church, both at the international and Atlanta operations, and you apparently made no effort to reach them for comment. Instead you used a clip from another Atlanta station that hardly conveyed “other side” of the story. And you briefly mentioned one Church member, although he had no official capacity. Four prominent Atlanta citizens, all involved major humanitarian projects in Georgia (one of them a state senator), spoke at the Atlanta Church opening — you neglected any mention of their remarks, which actually talked about important issues in the city and state that are supported by the Church. You were, however, rudely dismissive about the one Scientologist you interviewed, saying other people would “dispute” his assertion about the Church’s alignment with MLK and Malcolm X. What other people? All four of the well-known African-American speakers at the Church opening very much resonated MLK’s vision, and they obviously applauded the Church’s furtherance of goals MLK would have endorsed.

"Before I go further, here are a few statements from GPB’s own Code of Ethics:

"'Fact check all claims before they are broadcast.'

"'Offer an opportunity for subjects to respond to direct or indirect allegations.'

"'Never offer an open forum to a single viewpoint without offering a similar opportunity for divergent or opposing viewpoints.'

"'Verify any claim with two independent sources before broadcast/publication.'

"'Be able to identify the source of every fact, even the ones that have been reported over and over.'"

"Have you read the GPB Code of Ethics? Is it your opinion that your broadcast on Scientology adheres to those ethical principles? Can you explain how or how not?

"The overwhelming bulk of your broadcast — more than 13-plus minutes out of 15:42 minutes — was devoted to an unchallenged attack on the Church by Tony Ortega, That’s comparable to a Holocaust denier being allowed 85 percent of a broadcast while the only response was a clip from other media stating the general position of the Anti-Defamation League.

"It is a matter of public record that Ortega was the chief spokesman for his previous newspaper employer in defending business practices that pimped children to pedophiles. Ortega and his employer have been highly criticized for profiteering from that human trafficking. Did you explain that to your listeners? Did you check Ortega’s background? Here’s a start:
Code:
http://thedailycannibal.com/2012/09/26/blameless-shameless/

"And, of course, why you should have been wary is that Ortega — who makes his living attacking Scientology (because he was ousted from his last newspaper job) — was allowed to state numerous false, deceptive and exaggerated items, while no effort was made to respond to them. One example, Ortega claimed there were fewer than 20,000 Scientologists in the world. Did you attempt to check that information? Did you have someone from the Church who could have responded? The obvious answer to both questions is “no.” In 2014, highly regarded economists at Florida State University conducted an exhaustive study of the economic impact of Scientology on Clearwater — determining that the Church added almost $1 billion to the local economy. The economists’ study showed that about 13,000 Scientologists live in the Tampa Bay area, while 9,000 visiting Scientologists are in Clearwater for extended stays each year. Those facts are readily available:
Code:
http://www.freedommag.org/issue/201412-expansion/single-greatest-contributor.html

"Again, based on easily available information, the number of visiting Scientologist in Clearwater has increased by about 284 percent since the Church opened its cathedral, the Flag Building, in November 2013.

"So, if there are roughly 20,000 Scientologists in Florida, how can there be only 20,000 Scientologists in the whole world, as Ortega mendaciously states? Churches are booming in Taiwan, Japan, Moscow, throughout Europe, Australia, New Zealand, Africa, not to mention dozens of U.S. Churches (and California has at least as many Scientologists as Florida). Based on information, again easily available, did you not question Ortega’s claim? Did you, as a journalist and as a GPB employee who should adhere to the organization’s Code of Ethics, check that fact? Did you check any of Ortega’s facts? Did you invite the Church to participate in your broadcast?
"Unlike you, I do offer a chance to respond. Please provide answers to the following questions, including any documentation you have to your answers.

"1. What information prompted you to do a program on Scientology in Georgia? Was it suggested by Ortega or a public relations practitioner?

"2. How was contact made with Tony Ortega? For what reason? Please provide me with any emails between you and Ortega before or after the broadcast.

"3. Were you aware that for 20 years Ortega’s primary activity was attacking Scientology? Were you aware that he seeks to profit from defaming the religion?

"4. Since Ortega was the single source for your program’s attacks on Scientology, did a vehement anti-Scientologist constitute a fair and balanced program?

"5. Did you question why Ortega left the Village Voice?

"6. Were you aware that Ortega was Village Voice’s primary defender of child sexual prostitution in the newspaper’s “Backpage.com”? Did you ask Ortega about his role in “Backpage.com”?

"7. Do you consider the advocacy of child prostitution to be credentials for any source appearing on a program on GPB? Does GPB generally support and give comfort to those who profit from human trafficking?

"8. Are you aware of the incidents where Ortega has fabricated entire stories, under fictitious bylines? Is that a reason he should be regarded as an “expert” on any subject?

"9. Ortega made many claims about Scientology. Did you make any effort to ascertain the validity of his claims? He claimed, as noted above, that there are fewer than 20,000 Scientologists. What evidence did he show? Is it your or GPB’s practice for sources to make highly disputed allegations without substantiation?

"10. Did you inquire about Scientology’s work in disaster relief, anti-drug programs, anti-psychiatric abuse efforts, and more?

"11. Have you ever met a Scientologist? Please name them. Have you ever been in a Scientology Church? Where?"

* * * * * END QUOTATION * * * * *

Well, there ya go ...a Scio bot journalist using Marty Rathbun's scathing hate he spewed at Tony Ortega (part of the blood money gag order buy out)...

Looks like Marty has his exchange in abundance...'in'...

JustSheila

Crusader

Well, there ya go ...a Scio bot journalist using Marty Rathbun's scathing hate he spewed at Tony Ortega (part of the blood money gag order buy out)...

Looks like Marty has his exchange in abundance...'in'...

Marty Rathbun the shitstorm lightning rod.

Obviously this clown John Sugg didn't attend the Atlanta opening. Except for the Senator, those 'famous people' didn't say much of anything. They were just handed awards and all but one (the Senator who thinks the Atlanta center is for Narconon, btw... won't she be surprised later?) actually looked embarrassed to be publicly named.

And who cares how many times Flag counts its Solo auditors coming in and out and all the people ordered there to retread basics on GAT II? Number of visits does not equal 'each is a separate individual.' :duh: Exhaustive research. What a joke. They asked Flag for those stats.

Operating DB

Truman Show Dropout

Knows

Gold Meritorious Patron

John Sugg is a hired gun for Scientology propaganda magazine called "FREEDOM"
johnsuggcover1.jpg

***New Essay****
https://scientologymoneyproject.com...ctural-collapse-of-the-church-of-scientology/

Congrats John Suggs!! You have reached the EEE PEE of Scientology.

HATE!

Now don't you want to have others to have this amazing WIN?

Okay, good!

You have written up your success story in the latest edition of Freedom Magazine. Now - see the Registrar for your next step to Total Spiritual Freedom!:whistling:

Little David

Gold Meritorious Patron

From the Scientology Media Productions page:

Plus, the editorial headquarters of Freedom magazine, which produces hard-hitting human interest and investigative stories, are housed at SMP. Freedom itself is being expanded as a global news organization that encompasses print, television, radio and Internet platforms.

CommunicatorIC

Scientology Freedom Magazine Executive Editor John Sugg goes after news media

Scientology Freedom Magazine Executive Editor John Sugg goes after news media ("Merchants of Chaos").

Tony Ortega has an update.'

http://tonyortega.org/2016/06/24/fo...entology-appeals-ruling-on-religious-grounds/

* * * * * BEGIN EXCERPT * * * * *

Sugg goes after Merchants of Chaos

A new issue of Scientology’s propaganda magazine Freedom is out, and the June/July edition features an essay by its executive editor, John Sugg, who is a favorite around here. Sugg complains that Americans are distracted by spooky and nonsensical conspiracy theories (and how!), but he ends up blaming “merchants of chaos,” journalists, for the problem.

[SNIP]

We thought Sugg’s former fans, when he was a figure of some note in the Tampa area for his work at The Weekly Planet, might find this passage fun…

Many years ago, a wise man, L. Ron Hubbard, thought about fabricated conspiracy theories that are intended to manipulate and depress society. He characterized the purveyors of such trash as “merchants of chaos.” “They deal in confusion and upset,” Mr. Hubbard wrote. “Their daily bread is made by creating chaos. If chaos were to lessen, so would their incomes.” Those “merchants” weren’t all bartering conspiracies, but the finely crafted conspiracy was always part of their arsenal.

Scientology’s founder identified many who fit the role of merchants of chaos, but of particular note are the media, politicians and militarists. “It is to their interest to make the environment seem as threatening as possible, for only then can they profit,” he wrote in 1963—just a month after JFK’s assassination, a time when every merchant of chaos was clamoring to foist every conceivable scare story on the world.

“We speak loosely of ‘good press,’” Mr. Hubbard mused. “Is there any such thing today? Look over a newspaper. Is there anything good on the front page? Rather there is murder and sudden death, disagreement and catastrophe. And even that, bad as it is, is sensationalized to make it seem worse.

“This is the coldblooded manufacture of ‘a dangerous environment.’”

The decades haven’t blunted Mr. Hubbard’s words. But although the term “conspiracy theory” wasn’t the popular lingo five decades ago, it was and is a favorite tool of merchants of chaos.

* * * * * END EXCERPT * * * * *

Lulu Belle

Moonbat

Freedom used to be staffed by Sea Org members only.

Does anyone know if this guy is SO, or does he have a similar deal that Danny Sherman has?

CommunicatorIC

Freedom used to be staffed by Sea Org members only.

Does anyone know if this guy is SO, or does he have a similar deal that Danny Sherman has?
I am very confident that he is not SO. And while I don't have the links handy, my understanding is that the COS / Freedom recently hired other non-SO professional journalists to work at Freedom. Off the top of my head I recall one journalist who was also teaching an extension course on writing at UCLA, for example. I don't recall of the latter person is still at Freedom.

lotus

stubborn rebel sheep!

Unprecedented pathetic has been! :confused2:
Just pathetic! :nervous:

Already severly indoctrinated - loose electron shooting in the crowd!