What's new

Jon Atack on BBC-1 Sun Morning Ten am UK time, channeling Dr Hubbard

AnonyMary

Formerly Fooled - Finally Free
See Jon Atack, author of A Piece of Blue Sky

channeling Dr Hubbard on the Big Questions TV Show
Sunday morning, on BBC1, at ten am (UK time) .

So glad Jon is going to be on.

Watch Live:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/bbcone/watchlive/
BBC One, London schedule
Sunday 20 May 2012 10am

Episode 18
Episode 18 of 19, The Big Questions, Series 5

Duration: 1 hour

Nicky Campbell asks: is there a difference between a religion and a cult?

Nicky's guests include Cristina Odone, journalist on The Telegraph; Rabbi Yitchak Schochet from Mill Hill Synagogue; and Cole Moreton, author of Is God Still an Englishman: How We Lost our Faith (But Found New Soul).

Contributors also include Francesca Stavrakopoulou, professor of ancient religion at Exeter University; Dr George Chryssides from Birmingham University; Simon Cooper from the Unification Church; and Glenn Carter, President of the UK Raelian Movement.

Also joining in the discussion, Livingstone Fagan, Branch Davidian survivor of the Waco siege; Yoel Ben David from Jews for Jesus; and Ian Haworth from the Cult Information Centre; as well as Juliana Buhring, who was brought up in The Children of God and is now a director of Safe Passage Foundation; and Barbara Weed, who has not seen her son since he became involved in an internet group four years ago.

Other guests taking part are Jon Atack, author of A Piece of Blue Sky, and Rod and Linda Dubrow-Marshall from the International Cultic Studies Association

The Big Question Featured in this Episode
Is there a difference between a cult and a religion?

Take Part in the Debates

You too can take part in the debates:
via Twitter @bbcbigquestions, please use the hashtag #bbctbq or via Facebook
http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Big-Questions/351996461495563

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01j2n2n

hartley

Patron with Honors
Some of the usual suspects lined up for this one!

I predict more pointless woffling about how there aren't any cults just misunderstood new religious movements except for the ones that actually kill people of course. And I'm wondering if this will be Jon Atack in person or just an old recording of him.

Axiom142

Gold Meritorious Patron
This programme wasn’t just about Scientology of course, but we did get a little discussion on the subject, with Jon Atack giving a quick overview of his experience in the cult and a short description of ‘the big secret’ i.e. Body Thetans etc.

There were several representatives from ‘NRMs’, who all denied that they manipulate members (of course). Unfortunately, we didn’t get any OSAbots, probably they have given up any attempt at public debate as they know that they have no defence against the truth and would be torn to shreds.

One thing that I had noticed before, but was reinforced by the personal accounts is how similar these groups are with regard to tactics uses – i.e. we alone know the secrets of the universe, if you don’t follow us you will suffer for all eternity, anyone who criticises us is wrong, yada, yada, yada.

For all FB devotees, there is a facebook page if you want to add your own voice to the debate: http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Big-Questions/351996461495563

Axiom142

Sharone Stainforth

Silver Meritorious Patron
The thing I noticed the most was how Mr. Ralian had it in for Ian Haworth.

Talk about attack the attacker, he reminded me of a scientologist, was it Mary Demoss with their "How many babies have you raped to day?"

or George Bailey with "beating your wife", the one you haven't got.

Aside from Jon Attack getting a brief spell, I was glad to see Juliana managed to get some very good points across, and made the other side a little uncomfortable.

Smilla

Ordinary Human
This programme wasn’t just about Scientology of course, but we did get a little discussion on the subject, with Jon Atack giving a quick overview of his experience in the cult and a short description of ‘the big secret’ i.e. Body Thetans etc.

There were several representatives from ‘NRMs’, who all denied that they manipulate members (of course). Unfortunately, we didn’t get any OSAbots, probably they have given up any attempt at public debate as they know that they have no defence against the truth and would be torn to shreds.

One thing that I had noticed before, but was reinforced by the personal accounts is how similar these groups are with regard to tactics uses – i.e. we alone know the secrets of the universe, if you don’t follow us you will suffer for all eternity, anyone who criticises us is wrong, yada, yada, yada.

For all FB devotees, there is a facebook page if you want to add your own voice to the debate: http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Big-Questions/351996461495563

Axiom142

I thought he'd withrawn from commenting on Scientology - it's good to know that he still gets a chance to say his piece. It took a lot of guts to speak when he first did. I wish him well.

Ogsonofgroo

Crusader
^^^ ditto! Always nice to see OG coming out of the woodwork to reiterate on culty activities, did he actually do the interview? Anyhoo the more the merrier~ tick-tick-tick-tock-tra-la-la~

:coffee:

Axiom142

Gold Meritorious Patron
I thought he'd withrawn from commenting on Scientology - it's good to know that he still gets a chance to say his piece. It took a lot of guts to speak when he first did. I wish him well.

He got sued by a member of the cult and was quiet for a while. Can’t blame him, when I was a member, he was viewed as evil personified and thus a prime target for their dirty tricks.

But, his book remains available (well worth reading BTW) and others have taken up the struggle now.

Axiom142