What's new

Kate Bornstein has lung cancer and needs our help.

CommunicatorIC

@IndieScieNews on Twitter
From Tory Ortega:

http://tonyortega.org/2013/03/20/sc...onfidential-files-in-forced-abortion-lawsuit/
KATE BORNSTEIN IS KICKING CANCER’S ASS, BUT COULD USE A HAND

Last year, we were very pleased to write a Voice cover story about Kate Bornstein, one of New York’s most original performance artists, a well-known gender activist, and a former first mate for L. Ron Hubbard on the yacht Apollo (back when Kate was Al Bornstein).

What pleases us less is the fight that Kate has been engaged in against lung cancer. She was diagnosed in August, and after a successful surgery, the disease rallied and is giving her more trouble. The good news, however, is that her doctors tell her that it’s curable, and she’s fighting hard with a regimen of chemotherapy and diet.

In the meantime, she could use a little help. So today, she’s starting a GoFundMe site where we can all donate a little to help her out. As soon as we have the URL on that site, we’ll post it here. And please, if you haven’t yet read Kate’s amazing memoir, A Queer and Pleasant Danger, do yourself a big favor and buy a copy now.

And here’s the link to her fundraising site. Please go there!
Amazon link to A Queer and Pleasant Danger (Amazon).

Barnes and Noble link to A Queer and Pleasant Danger (Barnes and Noble).

Lurker5

Gold Meritorious Patron
I need to post comment so remember tomorrow to go and donate. Can't do right now.

We are with you Kate - hang in there. :thewave::pixiedust:

Lermanet_com

Gold Meritorious Patron
crappy news, thanks for the notice

I was at FOLOEUS when Kate was Lt Commander Alan Bornstien CO FOLO EUS

Arnie Lerma

CommunicatorIC

Again submitted, moderated, approved and cross-posted to Marty's blog on his most recent post as follows:

http://markrathbun.wordpress.com/2013/03/20/something-can-be-done-about-it-2/#comment-259523
CommunicatorIC |

March 20, 2013 at 9:07 pm

Congratulations on the new blog. You can be sure I will follow it.

I cross-posted the following very late on the prior thread. While it is off-topic, and it is bad form to repeat myself, I’m going to see if I can cross-post it again only because it is a matter of great importance.

Kate Bornstein has lung cancer and needs our help.

From Tory Ortega:

http://tonyortega.org/2013/03/20/scientology-ordered-to-turn-over-confidential-files-in-forced-abortion-lawsuit/

“KATE BORNSTEIN IS KICKING CANCER’S ASS, BUT COULD USE A HAND

Last year, we were very pleased to write a Voice cover story about Kate Bornstein, one of New York’s most original performance artists, a well-known gender activist, and a former first mate for L. Ron Hubbard on the yacht Apollo (back when Kate was Al Bornstein).

What pleases us less is the fight that Kate has been engaged in against lung cancer. She was diagnosed in August, and after a successful surgery, the disease rallied and is giving her more trouble. The good news, however, is that her doctors tell her that it’s curable, and she’s fighting hard with a regimen of chemotherapy and diet.

In the meantime, she could use a little help. So today, she’s starting a GoFundMe site where we can all donate a little to help her out. As soon as we have the URL on that site, we’ll post it here. And please, if you haven’t yet read Kate’s amazing memoir, A Queer and Pleasant Danger, do yourself a big favor and buy a copy now.

And here’s the link to her fundraising site. Please go there!”

Kate’s Go Fund Me Page – Help Kate Bornstein Stay Alive
http://www.gofundme.com/2cxb6w

Amazon link to A Queer and Pleasant Danger (Amazon):
http://www.amazon.com/Queer-Pleasant-Danger-Memoir/dp/0807001651/

Barnes and Noble link to A Queer and Pleasant Danger (Barnes and Noble):
http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/a-queer-and-pleasant-danger-kate-bornstein/1110784336

Claire Swazey

Spokeshole, fence sitter
I found out about this from reading about the gofundme link that TrevAnon posted, yesterday, then saw this.

I hope she will recover and that the treatment heals her. It appears that she has plenty of moral support, too.

Lotta good people out there in need. My heart goes out to all of them.

Smurf

Gold Meritorious SP
Kate Bornstein has cancer...

Ex-Scientologist Kate Bornstein has cancer. The good news, direct from the team of skilled doctors on her case, is that the cancer is curable. However, the treatment plan that gives Kate the best chance of beating cancer is incredibly expensive. Kate has spent the past thirty years helping the rest of us Stay Alive—now it’s our turn to give back. Let’s HELP KATE BORNSTEIN BEAT CANCER AND STAY ALIVE!

This August, Kate was diagnosed with lung cancer. She underwent surgery, after which extensive testing led her doctors to believe that the cancer was gone. However, in February, Kate’s doctors discovered that this was not, in fact, the case. The cancer was back. Since receiving this news, Kate has seen numerous talented physicians and other medical professionals. The consensus is that Kate’s cancer IS CURABLE. However, Kate’s treatment plan is more complicated than most because she has suffered from another kind of cancer--CLL, or Chronic Lymphocytic Leukemia--for over fifteen years. Kate will undergo chemotherapy and radiation treatment. She will eat according to strict nutritional diet plan and she will take a large number of supplements that will strengthen her body’s ability to handle the chemo and radiation.

CommunicatorIC

From Tony Ortega: http://tonyortega.org/2014/04/20/ea...entology-has-more-money-than-ever/#more-14458

Kate Bornstein needs your help

We’re posting the recent appeal by Barbara Carrellas, partner to Kate Bornstein, a person who is very important to the Underground Bunker community. Please give it a read and consider helping out.

Hello friends and family,

This is Barbara, Kate Bornstein’s partner in life, love and art. I’m writing to ask—once again—for your help.

As many of you know, Kate’s lung cancer is back. It reappeared in late December in a lymph node behind her collarbone. The good news is that it did not travel far from its original site. Recent scans show it’s not in her brain or bones. The further good news is that it did not reappear anywhere that had been previously treated with radiation and chemotherapy. This means that the doctors can treat this new tumor aggressively and the treatment is likely to work. We have been assured that this cancer is still curable.

The bad news is that the treatment for this second round is way more intense than the last. (And we thought that round was challenging!) This means that in addition to more intense chemo and radiation, she needs more supplements and alternative therapies to keep her fighting. She’s much weaker with this new treatment and needs to spend more on transportation to and from treatments. She has a hard time doing basic tasks, like preparing food for herself and the pets. Even getting dressed to go to chemo/radiation treatments is a challenge. Small tasks are not just physically, but also emotionally, overwhelming. This “brain fog” and the accompanying extreme energy drain are common, yet hideous side effects of the treatment. Worse yet, these effects will continue for months after treatment has stopped. This means we have no idea when she can return to work.

We are deeply grateful for your astoundingly generous donations of over $100,000 last year. It’s the support of her community—and we mean emotional, physical, and psychic support, as well as financial—that helps Kate #StayAlive. We still have a bit of that $100,000 left and we are stretching it as far as it can possibly go. (Let me take a moment to thank the people who are currently providing their services and products at reduced cost.) But Kate is going to run out of money very soon.

In short, if Kate is going to #StayAlive, she needs the financial support of her community once again. Kate wants me to be sure to tell you how hard it is to ask for this kind of support. She knows many of you have financial challenges of your own. Please give only if and what you can afford. All of the money raised goes directly towards Kate’s treatment.

Here’s the PayPal link to donate: http://bit.ly/1pkRV4K

Whether or not you can donate, you can help Kate #StayAlive by letting others know how they can help. Please forward/post/distribute this message widely. For inquiries and/or offers of help, write to KateStayAlive(at) gmail (dot) com.

And just so you know, Kate is truly appreciative of all the supportive tweets and other messages she’s been receiving. Please understand that although it’s hard for her to respond to all of them, they mean the world to her.

Thank you, thank you, thank you.

Love,

Barbara Carrellas
& Team Kate

La La Lou Lou

Crusader
Best of luck to Kate and Barabara! I have read her last book and it is very interesting reading for anyone who wants to know about the SO, working on the ship or what life is like to be in the wrong body. I thoroughly recommend her writing. I'm looking forward to more!

Anonycat

Crusader
Updated posted by Laura Vogel 6 months ago

Hello to all of Kate's fantastic supporters!

I have some exciting news for you, direct from Kate: KATE IS OFFICIALLY LUNG CANCER-FREE!!! Yesterday, Kate had a PET scan, which showed that there is NO LUNG CANCER in her body.

As a result of this exciting news, we have decided to close this fundraiser. THANK YOU for your donations. Your support, financial and emotional, has meant the world to Kate. You have literally saved her life.

On a personal note, I would like to thank each and every one of you, from the bottom of my heart, for helping my Auntie Kate stay alive. Seeing that she means as much to all of you as she does to me has been incredibly powerful. You've shown me that we, as a community, have an immense power to change--and even to SAVE--lives. You've renewed my faith in the power of giving and in the power of asking for help. It's been an absolute honor to facilitate this fundraiser.

Thank you.

Needs to be updated with:

Hello friends and family,

This is Barbara, Kate Bornstein’s partner in life, love and art. I’m writing to ask—once again—for your help.

As many of you know, Kate’s lung cancer is back. It reappeared in late December in a lymph node behind her collarbone. The good news is that it did not travel far from its original site. Recent scans show it’s not in her brain or bones. The further good news is that it did not reappear anywhere that had been previously treated with radiation and chemotherapy. This means that the doctors can treat this new tumor aggressively and the treatment is likely to work. We have been assured that this cancer is still curable.

The bad news is that the treatment for this second round is way more intense than the last. (And we thought that round was challenging!) This means that in addition to more intense chemo and radiation, she needs more supplements and alternative therapies to keep her fighting. She’s much weaker with this new treatment and needs to spend more on transportation to and from treatments. She has a hard time doing basic tasks, like preparing food for herself and the pets. Even getting dressed to go to chemo/radiation treatments is a challenge. Small tasks are not just physically, but also emotionally, overwhelming. This “brain fog” and the accompanying extreme energy drain are common, yet hideous side effects of the treatment. Worse yet, these effects will continue for months after treatment has stopped. This means we have no idea when she can return to work.

We are deeply grateful for your astoundingly generous donations of over $100,000 last year. It’s the support of her community—and we mean emotional, physical, and psychic support, as well as financial—that helps Kate #StayAlive. We still have a bit of that $100,000 left and we are stretching it as far as it can possibly go. (Let me take a moment to thank the people who are currently providing their services and products at reduced cost.) But Kate is going to run out of money very soon.

In short, if Kate is going to #StayAlive, she needs the financial support of her community once again. Kate wants me to be sure to tell you how hard it is to ask for this kind of support. She knows many of you have financial challenges of your own. Please give only if and what you can afford. All of the money raised goes directly towards Kate’s treatment.

Here’s the PayPal link to donate: http://bit.ly/1pkRV4K

Whether or not you can donate, you can help Kate #StayAlive by letting others know how they can help. Please forward/post/distribute this message widely. For inquiries and/or offers of help, write to KateStayAlive(at) gmail (dot) com.

And just so you know, Kate is truly appreciative of all the supportive tweets and other messages she’s been receiving. Please understand that although it’s hard for her to respond to all of them, they mean the world to her.

Thank you, thank you, thank you.

Love,

Barbara Carrellas
& Team Kate