What's new

Katie Holmes: Blacklisted in Hollywood because of Scientology

Lulu Belle

Moonbat
http://www.celebuzz.com/2012-07-03/...-because-of-scientology-exclusive-guest-blog/

New York Times best-selling investigative journalist Ian Halperin, who spent years infiltrating Scientology and authored Hollywood Undercover, reveals how Katie Holmes fears Tom Cruise and the controversial church will her keep her from her daughter – and how the actress plans to escape their grip.

Tom Cruise’s 50th birthday on July 3 has been overshadowed by his pending third divorce. But the breakup between Hollywood’s ‘Top Gun’ and Katie Holmes last week didn’t really catch us off-guard: Indeed, we knew the oddball marriage’s fate was sealed the moment an overzealous Cruise leapt onto Oprah Winfrey’s couch to tell the world how much he loved the much-younger Holmes back in 2005.

It all seemed too premeditated, too valiant an attempt to misdirect us from his previous breakup with ex-wife Nicole Kidman, who also turned her back on Cruise and his controversial religious beliefs.

But the biggest reason it appears Holmes, 33, left Cruise, 49, was because her once thriving acting career had taken a big hit ever since she became connected to Cruise and the controversial Church of Scientology.

A close friend of Holmes claims the ex-Dawson’s Creek star’s promising career had been “blacklisted” in recent years.

The friend pointed out how Holmes’ career had taken a downward spiral because Hollywood is terrified about the rise of Scientology, so much so that it has skewed the results of Oscar voting on more than one occasion. It’s fairly obvious that the Hollywood establishment don’t want to see a Scientologist win an Oscar for fear that it will just help them recruit more celebrities and everyday members. Can you imagine the speech that one of them might make to a billion viewers if they actually won?

“It’s no coincidence why Katie hasn’t been getting the roles she deserves,” the friend said.

“She wants to win Oscars but instead has been getting fluff roles. There’s a good reason why her husband has never won an Oscar. He was brilliant in Born on the Fourth of July and should have won. He was also denied for Jerry Maguire and Magnolia. Look at another Scientologist, John Travolta. He seemed like a shoo-in for Pulp Fiction but was also denied.”

Cruise’s second wife, Kidman, was a perfect example of this phenomenon. Her performance in To Die For was brilliant, for which many pundits considered her the odds-on favorite to win the Oscar. That was when she was still married to Cruise and she was a practicing Scientologist. She wasn’t even nominated. Then, a few years ago, only after she divorced Cruised and renounced Scientology, she won her Oscar for The Hours. That’s probably not a coincidence.

The close friend of the actress says she saw the writing on the wall four years ago at lunch in New York, when a broken Holmes confided to her how miserable she was. “She felt trapped like a moth in a bath,” the friend said.

Now, Holmes holds an optimistic view about her new life with six-year-old Suri – but she harbors troubling doubt regarding how the Hollywood megastar and his powerful Church will respond.

(read more at link above)

Good twin

Floater
I hope Katie and her legal team have read The Art of War. They've pissed off a hornets nest. Hopefully they will be able to keep the cult and Tom out in the open enough to shoot their feet full of holes.

Happy Independence Day, Brave girl.

All three relevant Scientologists in Hollywood are blacklisting Katie Holmes, how will she ever survive.

Now if Balloon Boy, Octomom, and Joe The Plumber, start blacklisting her too, she might as well just throw in the towel and go back to waiting tables

FoTi

Crusader
Maybe now that she's escaped, her career will blossom.....

At least she can afford body guards and have some protection from the cult.

I hope all the publicity she's getting right now reaches a lot of Scientologists and helps them to wake up and walk away.

Tom of Helatrobus

Patron Meritorious
That's a great article. Thanks for posting.

I don't like the idea the artist are blacklisted for religion or crazy beliefs. Although it would be a catastrophe for someone like Cruise to go on a LRH rant while accepting an Oscar. He was amazing in "Born on the Fourth of July" and "Magnolia." Still I could understand how blacklisting could happen.

Captain Koolaid

Patron Meritorious
So Scios can't win an Oscar? That means they're fair gamed by Hollywood! Disgusting, makes my blood boil. :wink2:

BTW: I've seen Magnolia, and Mapother IV was really impressive. Problem is, though, that in this movie he didn't act. He really is so tightly wound. The director said 'Just be yourself, Tom, think of all the SPs trying to besmirch LRH. The result was epic, but a performance it was not. So no Oscar for the cult's golden boy.

Moosejewels

Patron Meritorious

I don't like the idea the artist are blacklisted for religion or crazy beliefs. Although it would be a catastrophe for someone like Cruise to go on a LRH rant while accepting an Oscar. He was amazing in "Born on the Fourth of July" and "Magnolia." Still I could understand how blacklisting could happen.

Agree with you whole-heartedly Tom. While being blacklisted for religious views isn't new to Hollywood, "blacklisting" it is still something we should not condone nor support.

olska

Silver Meritorious Patron

So does anyone offhand know who were the nominees, and the winners, of the Oscars for the years that Cruise made those two movies?

Just because Cruise hasn't won an academy award doesn't mean anything other than that the voting members of the academy didn't feel his performance was up to it, compared to other performances for that particular year. Same with Travolta and any other scientologist. Frankly, as far as Travolta is concerned, I don't get what all the fan fussing is about anyway...

Didn't Paul Haggis win for Crash? or something else? while he was still a scientologist? and Juliette Lewis, who was raised in scientology, won for her performance (I believe it was her first major performance) opposite Robert DeNiro in that movie about the crazy ex-con out for revenge... (name of the movie escapes me right now...)

Good grief -- LOTS of our "favorite" actors/ actresses have been passed over for those awards! For example, Paul Newman raked in the bucks for Hollywood for all his life; was passed over for awards year after year, finally won ONCE irrc. Susan Lucci, a woman with amazing "personality" and probably the best actress ever in daytime TV, was passed over for the Emmy award again and again for years.

In my personal opinion, one of the biggest disappointments was the year that the movie Seabiscuit -- one of the best ever made in Hollywood -- was passed over when Lord of the Rings won everything there was to win. Had nothing to do with scientology or religion of any kind, near as I could tell.

Veda

Sponsor
Agree with you whole-heartedly Tom. While being blacklisted for religious views isn't new to Hollywood, "blacklisting" it is still something we should not condone nor support.

I don't think it's quite that official. It's one or two person's opinion.

And that it's about "religion," when Scientology operates as a for-profit blackmail-collecting slave-labor-utilizing business, is a bit of a leap.

"Anti-religious bigots in Hollywood blacklist Humanitarian Tom Cruise because of his religious beliefs." :melodramatic:

Kirk Douglass and Burt Lancaster were actors in Hollywood for decades without receiving an Oscar.

Maybe Tom Cruise should be patient. :)

DagwoodGum

Squirreling Dervish
I suggest that Hollywood cuts those who they've blacklisted some slack once they formally get out and renounce their ties to Scientology. Not that I endorse the blacklisting at all but I feel that those blacklisted are owed some consideration to atone for what was done to them in the backrooms where such awards are determined.
Well wait a minute, of course there could be no such blacklisting as that would be conspiratorial in nature and some board leaders and those who cow tow to them have decreed that theories regarding such as tin foiled fantasies, so I guess end of story. Despite the piles of evidence that those who conspire leave laying around one must never be seen to endorse or believe in such manipulations or orchestrations as it could lead to the exposure of other evils… All explained in Hanlon's Razor: "Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity". :ohmy:

Last edited:

Smilla

Ordinary Human
I see no reason to believe that any blacklisting has taken place. Did I miss the evidence?

Sindy

Crusader
I see no reason to believe that any blacklisting has taken place. Did I miss the evidence?

This story sounds like one of those, "quick, find something, anything to say about this Cruise/Holmes/Scientology thing, we've got juicy deadlines to meet" type of thing. Expect lots of that and all need to be prepared to read through a fair amount of BS.

It's all still very, very fun. Screw you cult and thank you Katie Holmes!

Aerial

Patron with Honors
So does anyone offhand know who were the nominees, and the winners, of the Oscars for the years that Cruise made those two movies?

Best Actor Nominees 1989

Tom Cruise Born On The Fourth Of July
Kenneth Branagh Henry V
Morgan Freeman Driving Miss Daisy
Daniel Day Lewis My Left Foot
Robin Williams Dead Poets Society

Best Supporting Actor 2000

Michael Caine The Cider House Rules
Michael Clarke Duncan The Green Mile
Tom Cruise Magnolia
Haley Joel Osment The Sixth Sense
Jude Law The Talented Mr Ripley

Not even in the Marcabian Confederacy could an argument be made that Tom Cruise was more deserving of the Oscar than Daniel Day Lewis.

As for Best Supporting Actor, Michael Caine was a worthy winner but so would Haley Joel Osment and Michael Clarke Duncan have been too.

Tom Cruise's jaw clenching does make a great acting performance.

I'm not saying that The Academy always gets it right, but they did in those two instances

Claire Swazey

Spokeshole, fence sitter
I do not think anyone should be blacklisted for being a Scn'ist. I also don't think anyone should be blacklisted for divorcing a Scn'ist or not liking a Scn'ist.

In general, blacklists are a bad idea.

Mick Wenlock

Admin Emeritus (retired)
I do not think anyone should be blacklisted for being a Scn'ist. I also don't think anyone should be blacklisted for divorcing a Scn'ist or not liking a Scn'ist.

In general, blacklists are a bad idea.

well yeah but where did anyone on this thread suggest that it would be a good idea? As far as I can see it was speculation from the reporter Halperin - and pretty thin speculation at best. Cruise has never been a great actor. He has been in some good films that showcased his limited talent pretty well and he has box office appeal. More power to him for that but oscars don't get awarded based on earnings.

As for JT - apart from the surprise that he had the ability to act within him and actually turned in a good performance - probably the director got more credit for that than JT himself - and has he turned in any sort of performance that would even get him a nomination?

I have movies from both actors in my dvd collection - actually more JT than Cruise.

Smilla

Ordinary Human
Rather than being blacklisted, I think his lack of awards is more likely due to his not being a particularly good actor, and having a not very likeable personality.

Claire Swazey

Spokeshole, fence sitter
Mick,

I'd been talking about the concept of someone not being nominated for an award based on religious or political affiliation, including being a Communist in the 50s and 60s- on another thread. This thread's a tie in. That's all.

Lulu Belle

Moonbat
Personally, I think that who wins and Oscar and why is a mystery to a lot of us.

It's funny how many Oscars are won for movies that no one I know has ever seen.

How many people here, for instance, have seen Monster's Ball, the movie Halle Berry won an Oscar for in 2001? I've never seen it and no one I knew at the time had ever seen it.

Not to mention the fact that Berry, though very beautiful, is not known to be a a particularly great actress.

Sometimes it just seems kind of...random.

olska

Personally, I think that who wins and Oscar and why is a mystery to a lot of us.

It's funny how many Oscars are won for movies that no one I know has ever seen.

How many people here, for instance, have seen Monster's Ball, the movie Halle Berry won an Oscar for in 2001? I've never seen it and no one I knew at the time had ever seen it.

Not to mention the fact that Berry, though very beautiful, is not known to be a a particularly great actress.

Sometimes it just seems kind of...random.

I've seen Monsters Ball and except for the fact that Billy Bob Thornton was in it, I liked it.

Cherished

This story sounds like one of those, "quick, find something, anything to say about this Cruise/Holmes/Scientology thing, we've got juicy deadlines to meet" type of thing. Expect lots of that and all need to be prepared to read through a fair amount of BS.

It's all still very, very fun. Screw you cult and thank you Katie Holmes!
I totally agree.

It’s fairly obvious that the Hollywood establishment don’t want to see a Scientologist win an Oscar for fear that it will just help them recruit more celebrities and everyday members.

I'd say that's "fairly obvious" to the person it is fairly obvious to. But not to the rest of us.