Kelly Reno on Christmas after she lost her son to Scientology Disconnection

CommunicatorIC

@IndieScieNews on Twitter
Kelly Reno on Christmas after she lost her son to Scientology Disconnection.

http://www.mikerindersblog.org/disconnection-redux-who-qualifies-to-be-declared/#comment-72109

* * * * * BEGIN QUOTATION * * * * *

Kelly Reno says

December 21, 2014 at 3:28 pm

This is the first Christmas I will not be able to see my son. He chose to disconnect from me after I told him how I really felt about the church and I assured him I would never be coming back. It is sad that it has come to this. I was quiet for years about my true feelings about the church because I didn’t want my son to have to make a choice between the church or his mother. He disconnected from me by text message a few months ago. All I could do was text back letting him know that I’m sorry he feels that way and that I will always be here for him no matter what.

I was inspired today to share part of my story. Now that I have lost my son to the church’s toxic disconnection policy, there’s no reason for me to be quiet. It has been almost five years since I quietly walked away from the church and began rebuilding my life. When I was in the church I had many friends and was somewhat of an “opinion leader.” Having had a good amount of professional success with my writing, I often gave seminars and talks on writing for Celebrity Center and on the Freewinds. I was married to a big contributor to the church and helped put on many fundraising events. But I began to see through the lies and left on my own cognizance. I’ve probably been declared a suppressive person, but have never seen anything official on this from the church. To those who know me, they will attest that I’m about as suppressive as a golden retriever. Below is part of a private letter I sent to my best friend of 20 years when I walked away a few years ago. This explains my story.

“First I want you to know that I miss you. I care deeply about you and you have been my best friend for many years despite the long distance and long gaps in communication. I will always love you and treasure you. You’re an amazing, bright star and I love you to pieces. But I want you to know that I am no longer part of the church and will not be coming back. I’ve communicated this to many church members who have called and emailed over the last couple of years and I have been left alone for the most part. I suppose I’m on a disaffected list.

I want you to understand where I’m coming from and that’s why I’ve waited until I had the time to sit down and write. I know you know part of the story. When I left xxxx and moved away in 2009, I already had one foot out the door as you probably know. Between the insane financial situation with xxxx and the constant fundraising—all combined with the fact that my life was getting WORSE rather than better after doing L11, Power, Power Plus and the complete Basics line-up – I began to see that something was very, very wrong. As my life got worse and the money ran out completely, I couldn’t get any help from the church, unless of course I paid more money. When L11 didn’t “work” I went back twice for review (at my own expense). Unwilling to pay yet again to fix it, I gave up. At a time when I needed help the most, I felt shut out and alone. This is when I began to LOOK at what was really going on with my broken marriage, my church and my so-called friends.

Just moving away from the physical church in LA living in the mountains was the first part of my long healing process. I began to read the so-called “entheta” on the internet which I had never done before. I read Debbie Cook’s email and listened to the many critics of the church and found quite a bit of truth. I also listened to and read the church’s pieces on their critics like the Freedom magazine articles and the “who is so and so” sites and found those to be quite sickening. I learned a lot during this time and came to the conclusion that the church had evolved into something I no longer wanted to be a part of.

I don’t understand how you, being on the front lines at xxx don’t see through the bullshit. You must read the stories of ex-staff and ex-church members being used and abused. All of Int. management is gone for Christ’s sake! What about the crazy never-ending fundraising? What about the majority of the original Clears being declared suppressive? What about the failing “ideal” orgs? What goes through your mind when you see the fake church stats being busted by the critics – how the church is shrinking and not expanding while you’re being told it’s straight up and vertical expansion? How do you explain away the empty orgs? Are all the critics of the church lying? Are they all crazy? Well, I don’t think they are. In fact, I know they are not. I don’t see massive expansion of the church. I see empty buildings, empty “ideal” orgs.

I remember you showing me the video that OSA made about Marty Rathbun and Mike Rinder. Around that same time the MAA in LA was grilling me about being in communication with those two, sure that they’d contacted me to get me to leave the church. They hadn’t. Quite honestly, I didn’t even know who Marty Rathbun was and I had no idea that Rinder had left the church years earlier until you showed me that video. I left the church on my own cognizance after bad results with my auditing, un-handled originations about my auditing and the severe and never-ending financial disaster with creditors my then husband was creating.

I am sorry that I ever took part in IAS fundraising activities and helped put on these events. I sincerely thought that funds were being raised for such activities as building learning centers for underprivileged kids in third world countries and to help VM activities, unaware that the funds were actually stashed away in reserves and had grown to over a BILLION dollars! All that time the church had the money for these “urgent” projects in reserves that could have easily financed any of these activities. Yet the fundraising goes on today – hundreds and thousands of dollars continue to be squeezed out of poor regular guys who are going into debt to help the latest “cause” of the IAS when in fact its going into reserves and not being used for whatever “crisis of the week” is happening. It is sickening. Anyway, I’m sure you’ve read about all this stuff. I just don’t get it – why you stay and support this group. It’s a rotten sinking ship.

The last time I saw you, you expressed concern that I would drift away from the church and you said that I was weak. Well, I’m not weak and I’ve left for good. It took massive courage for me to break away from a culture and a group that I was entwined with for so long. Knowing that I would have few friends and no stable data, I did it anyway. That took a hell of a lot of courage. I went through a LOT all by myself. I had no one to talk to, no friends to call, no family that would understand. But I remained positive and I came out on the other side stronger than ever and determined to create a new life.

For me, walking away from my many long-term friends was the hardest part—knowing that if I were to leave the church those friends would disconnect and never talk to me again. I have confronted that fact that people who would abandon me as a friend because of what religion I practice (or don’t practice) aren’t really friends—are they? Having conditional friends is as good as having no friends. Realize that your church friends do not love you unconditionally. In fact, they will turn on you the second they’re told to.
After a good long look, I decided to move on from the church and my conditional friends, for what I was experiencing was no longer a positive, spiritual journey for me. It was quite the opposite. It was all about money and making more money and donating more money and on and on.

My life outside of the church is absolutely beautiful. I am truly happy and free and I wish you were out here with me living and creating and having fun. I’m in love, I live in paradise, I’ve made many wonderful real friends, I am healthy and have a sane and happy family. Of course it isn’t all perfect, but it’s damn good. Inside the church, the outside world is made to look like a dangerous, dreary place. I was led to believe that if I left terrible things would happen to me. That’s so untrue! I’m here to tell you it is so beautiful out here. People are good and kind and yes, even spiritual. I have a good, sane family life and a thriving little business. I am free to study and read whatever I like and be friends with anyone I choose and I am sitting smack dab in the middle of the life of my dreams. I can love others without reservation. This is LIVING. It is amazing.”

* * * * * END QUOTATION * * * * *

For the record, and to the extent anyone cares, Kelly Reno's Scientology Service Completions
http://www.truthaboutscientology.com/stats/by-name/k/kelly-reno.html

]Kelly Reno in Scientology's Published Service Completion Lists

The following 19 individual completions for Kelly Reno appear in official Scientology publications:
Kelly RenoGRADE 0Celebrity 2991996-12-01
Kelly RenoGRADE I EXPANDEDCelebrity 3171999-02-01
Kelly RenoSTUDENT HATCelebrity 3191999-06-01
Kelly RenoHUBBARD PROFESSIONAL TR COURSECelebrity 3211999-10-01
Kelly RenoPURIFICATION RUNDOWNCelebrity 3211999-10-01
Kelly RenoVOLUNTEER MINISTER COURSEAuditor 3032002-12-01
Kelly RenoTHE OT DOCTORATE COURSEAdvance 1642003-05-15
Kelly RenoEXTERIORIZATION & THE PHENOMENA OF SPACE COURSEAdvance 1802005-02-01
Kelly RenoHAPPINESS RUNDOWN AUDITINGCelebrity 3722006-02-01
Kelly RenoGRADE II RELIEF RELEASECelebrity 3722006-02-01
Kelly RenoGRADE III FREEDOM RELEASECelebrity 3722006-02-01
Kelly RenoGRADE IV ABILITY RELEASECelebrity 3722006-02-01
Kelly RenoCOMMAND OF THETA COURSEFreewinds 632006-06-01
Kelly RenoL 11 NEW LIFE RUNDOWNSource 1802006-07-01
Kelly RenoDIANETICS & THE DIANETICS LECTURES AND DEMONSTRATIONS COURSEAdvance 1972008-05-01
Kelly RenoSCIENCE OF SURVIVALS THE SCIENCE OF SURVIVAL LECTURES COURSEAdvance 1982008-09-01
Kelly RenoSELF ANALYSIS COURSEAdvance 1982008-09-01
Kelly RenoBOOK COMPLETIONAdvance 2012009-05-01
Kelly RenoBOOK COMPLETIONAdvance 2012009-05-01

Note: The dates listed above are the approximate publication dates of the magazines, which may be weeks or months later than the actual date the service was completed.

Kelly Reno in Scientology's Publications

The following 1 mentions of Kelly Reno appear in official Scientology publications:
Kelly RenoCrusadersImpact 1012002-09-01

Note: The dates listed above are the approximate publication dates of the magazines, which may be weeks or months later than the actual date the service was completed.

Miss Ellie

Miss Ellie
I hope that everyone will be able to see and be with their loved ones sooner than later.

Disconnection hurts more than JUST the "people" involved. It hurts us as a society - it hurts those that have to choose their sanity or their enslavement.

All I want for Christmas is for the phone to ring in all those homes that have known only silence due to disconnection.

Here is to a better year - here is to all those that have taken a stand and are holding it.