ESMB has entered archive mode. All posts and threads that were available to the general public are still readable. The board is still searchable. 

Thank you all for your participation and readership over the last 12 years.

If you want to join in the conversation, please join the new ESMB Redux at www.exscn2.net.

Kicked The Cult In 2012. Still Decompressing And Finding MY Way.

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Voodoo, May 7, 2019.

1. Voodoo

Voodoo Free Your Mind And Your Ass Will Follow

Yes, I wrote that before reading your instructions.

Much appreciated!

Voodoo

2. strativarius

strativarius Inveterate gnashnab & snoutband

Yep, now yer on yer way proper like mate.

Thinks ... If only that numpty FAIRNINGTON could have been half so appreciative ...

Last edited: May 8, 2019
    tesseract likes this.
  3. JustSheila

JustSheila Crusader

:) Good to have ya!

Just so you know a little about me: I was in the SO for 9 years, in Estates and at AOLA, and left in 1986. I did the OEC, the ESTO course, Class V and through OT IV, plus countless full hats. I was never a Scientologist before the Sea Org and was 16 when I joined.

Since I just got a bad cut through the nail of my index finger while trimming shrubs, I can't type too well right now, so sorry for the short post.

We each have to find our own way. I'm completely out of Scn, but as long as you don't "ridge up" at the information here, I'm sure you'll get along fine and maybe some of the FZers will participate more with you onboard. :)

Personally, I'm glad to hear you have the integrity to find the crimes of Scientology despicable and not give it excuses. :thumbsup:

The rest, well, maybe it's fortunate for you I have an injured index finger right now. :giggle: Just teasing, but L Ron Hubbard was always a scammer and a ripoff artist. There were less horrible times before the Sea Org existed, but even the original ACC students were abused by Ron and messed up. I met a lot of them at AOLA. :sad:

Despite all that, the power of a person's mind is so strong that I think a few people just willed themselves to improve using Scientology. There are surely more humane, proven methods than what L Ron pushed. That the most vicious actions of Scientology are completely on-policy as written by Ron is an undeniable fact. DM of course, created the push for new buildings, but most of his actions are Scientology as written.

I hope to have some good conversations with you about these things. :yes: For now, well, that's about all I can type for today. (Owie finger!)

4. Voodoo

I totally get where you're coming from. I have no reality on Terril Park's experiences with OTII, just as you have no reality on my experiences with Clear.

I also have no reality on touch assists, having never experienced any wins from receiving them, though I've known others who rave about them. :scratch:

Same goes for the incessant pulling of withholds. Up to a point, I experienced real relief from confessing my 'sins', but beyond that it was just sheer mental abuse and torture from which I received NO benefit. After too many sessions of being hammered for my withholds, I began to develop a powerful ridge against the process. I mean, for God's sake, how many times do I have to confess the same damn transgressions?? :dizzy:

My dumb ass didn't realize at the time that the cult was simply probing me to build a dossier they could use to blackmail me in the future. Thank God I never did FPRD. That shit would have surely driven me stark raving mad. That, or I would have wound up strangling someone.

But yeah, different people got different things out of their association with the tech and the cult itself. Some good, some bad, some totally tragic.

5. Voodoo

Man, that's good to know. I would much rather hang with a group where all viewpoints are tolerated, than one where everyone is forced to toe the party line (left or right). That's not freedom. It's cultish.

Like I said before, I'm 100% anti-CoS, and more or less moderate where the tech is concerned. In my personal experience, some of the tech is valid and helpful, while some of it is absolute bullshit. As to LRH, I think he was a genius with severe personal defects. More than a 'Source' or seer, I think he was brilliant at finding (or recognizing) the workable tech of others, then incorporating those techniques into his own gig. It sadly follows that he eventually took credit for originating every single word of Scn tech, when nothing could be further from the truth. :no: I believe Sarge when he said LRH told him, "I failed."

Alrighty. Thank you much for helping out a newbie. :cheers:

Type4_PTS and tesseract like this.
  6. Voodoo

Thank you. Do I get to attest now, or do I have to take an exam? :runaway:

7. Voodoo

Thanks, Sheila. I've been reading the critics for six years now, so I have a wealth of information I didn't have when I was in the bubble. Even then I knew something was wrong with the church - I just couldn't put all the pieces together. What I didn't know at the time was, that was by design. :grouch::angry:

By deliberately cutting the flow of information to its parishioners, the cult keeps them from putting two and two together, which then keeps them stupid and securely tethered to the yoke. :no:

I worked for the SO about the same length of time as you did. Let me stop right there and thank you for your service. Despite everything that's wrong with that organization, I am sure that you gave true help to others along the way. I've got a lot of respect for ex SO and other staff. They sacrificed tremendously in pursuit of some lofty goals, and no one should ever give them short shrift for that.

I can't disagree with you about LRH. The guy was a seriously flawed person his entire life. Despite the fact that he audited (and was audited) more than anyone alive, it seemingly never did him a damn bit of good. May as well stamp NCG (no case gain) on every one of his folders, eh? :think:

I hope to share more of my history as time goes on. I'm just a small fish in the grand scheme of things, but I know how much our favorite cult intelligence agency loves to spread vicious lies about its critics. I went very public in 2012 and they didn't put up a hate website on me. Not worth the trouble, I suppose, but still... :confused:

Thanks again for the warm welcome!

Lulu Belle, Type4_PTS and Enthetan like this.
  8. strativarius

strativarius Inveterate gnashnab & snoutband

No, there's no exam, but make sure you write a success story after you've attested.

9. Voodoo

My success story is my declaration of independence from the lunatic cult! :cool:

10. Anonymous100

Anonymous100 Patron

Welcome! Thanks for that. Your wins on going clear are similar as mine when I left scn and realised I didnt have a bank (according to life outside scn) to get rid of. So phobias etc left me I became v chatty and I felt my mind opened up and had such affinity for the rest of the world etc ...so sounds like we achieved similar gains which is interesting and makes me think its all down to individual perception.

Little David likes this.
  11. Voodoo

Thanks for the validation, Rose. I'm glad to hear that you got something out of your Clear step. I'm also very glad that you're out of the cult.

As I said upthread, I don't give a rat's patoot whether or not my gains match up to Hubbard's overblown promises. I got something immensely special to me out of it, which I've never lost.

In the end, that's all that really matters. :D

Enthetan and Dulloldfart like this.
  12. JustSheila

JustSheila Crusader

The thing is, you never needed a via. You know what I mean?

Maybe it took some time to discover that, but anyone who acts as a via between you and your soul or your destiny is basically a usurper of your energy, a vampire, whether it means taking your young years, your money, or your ambitious, imaginative endeavors. Spiritual vampires.

You would have been fine without Scientology and had a lot more years to your life, too. :yes:

Thank you SO much for coming forward publicly in 2012. I also did a media stint and came forward publicly. It takes courage. I took a long time (years!) to get up the guts to stand up to the C of S. You did it in a much shorter time. That's SO cool! :love2:

Index finger injury or I would have written more, sorry. Should have had two stitches but I'm good with butterfly bandaids and appalled at the US healthcare situation, so did it myself. It will be a few days before I'm up to 90 wpm again. :giggle:

Churchill and Type4_PTS like this.
  13. Voodoo

That's a powerful insight, Sheila. It underlines a point that's rarely made during these conversations, which is the enormous responsibility inherent in the act of assuming control over the spiritual enlightenment of others.

Spirits, minds, and bodies are frail things, and can so easily be injured by haphazard, careless treatment. Malicious treatment by spiritual guides and helpers is even worse, and can result in life changing harm to those unlucky enough to find themselves under such people's care and supervision.

Lord knows, most of us on this board have lived through varying degrees of mistreatment at the hands of the cult. To be fair, many of us also experienced excellent care and supervision on the part of select individuals in our time inside that group, but it was usually the luck of the draw that we wound up in such good hands.

Despite Hubbard's strict insistence on delivering Scn services within a tightly defined set of 'standard' practices, the personal experiences of those involved with the church has been anything but. Tens of thousands have discovered (much to their horror) that, not only was the care and supervision of their spiritual quest slipshod and lacking in any sort of 'standard', much of the time participation in church services was like being put through a meat grinder.

Because of the church's abject refusal (or inability) to assume honest responsibility for the sacred trust bestowed upon them by their parishioners, ninety percent of their followers have left, and will have nothing further to do with them.

I don't think I can name another religious group that has suffered such devastating attrition, as the church of Scientology.

Thank you for the kind words about my coming out. At the time it seemed like the only honorable choice I had. I'd been in too long, and had seen far too much to just walk away quietly. I felt duty bound to say something publicly. I did, and it felt amazingly liberating. I'm sure you felt something similar when you went public.

Hope your finger heals soon!

Lulu Belle and Operating DB like this.
  14. HelluvaHoax!

HelluvaHoax! Platinum Meritorious Sponsor with bells on

Talking about "WINS FROM SCIENTOLOGY", I am reminded of a time I was in Scientology and went out with friends bowling. I have only bowled a few times as a kid and have no idea how to bowl, never did. I sometimes luckily hit a strike or spare but virtually everything I do is fundamentally wrong.

So!

Bunch of Scientologists now bowling. I started bowling strikes! And spares! Nearly 200 score! WTF???

The ball felt really tiny in my hand and I was (for unknown reasons) "in the zone". It was simple to control the ball and put it exactly where i wanted. My form was still abominably wrong (e.g. no spin on the ball) but i could at least "AIM" it and hit was i was aiming at.

Unbelievable. Exhilarating!

So, because i was in Scientology was that an OT WIN?

Because i was with other Clears and OTs was that bowling win due to being around theta beings?

Is this worthy of an OT SUCCESS STORY in Advance! magazine, because i "rose above my bank" or "as-ised my considerations" or "suddenly had an unprecedented havingness resurgence so I could "have" strikes!"???

What if I stated here that the LRH tech is why I had that amazing win? Would everyone agree? Would some criticize me as a flakey cult member still drinking kool aid?

Would people here be afraid of "invalidating" my win by saying I was stupid to assign this "bowling miracle" to LRH's tech?

I must have applied some "tech", right? Otherwise how could i have suddenly bowled like that?

Could i have written an OT WIN that I "now knew I would never bowl a crappy score again!"?

TRUTH REVEALED: We were all drinking beers and the rock-n-roll PA system was rocking. This was "after-hours" bowling in a total party atmosphere. So i was totally buzzed-on-beer.

QUESTION: Is beer therefore "technology" because I had "huge wins" and it "worked"???

PRO-BOWLING TIP: BeerTech, get some!

15. Type4_PTS

Type4_PTS Diamond Invictus SP

I also don't recall any wins from receiving touch assists, but did seem to get good results consistently from delivering them.

I just assumed that others did as well same as me, and was surprised when comparing notes with others, who saw them as pretty much ineffective.

After studying some scientific literature on the placebo effect and how best to invoke it I realized that I was excellent at doing just that, and am confident that that IS how I got my results.

Actually, one of the posters on this forum (no longer active) who was an OT VIII completion, believes that HIS wins along the "bridge" were due to the placebo effect as well. I believe that was discussed here in this thread.

16. Voodoo

As with so much of the tech of Scientology, touch assists have been over-promoted as to their value and workability. While I believe the technique does put a person in better communication with their body, I don't believe that they induce healing by, and of themselves.

Real healing is accomplished through improving the condition of a host of various physical and spiritual factors such as: sleep/rest, nutrition, environment, external stresses, internal stresses, immune system, personal relations, personal outlook, body toxicity, body pH, general health, microbiological environment, system integrity, medicines, medical procedures, prior treatments, and last but not least, the bedside manner of care-givers.

There is also the variable of patient receptivity. Patients sometimes exhibit a phenomenon called, 'non-compliance'. This is when a patient rejects their medicines, medical procedures, or other prescribed therapies. It can happen in counseling, too.

Hubbard obviously ignored the need for a comprehensive approach to healing when he promoted his assist tech to his followers. An honest man would have made doggone sure it was well understood by one and all, that his assists were just that - an assist to a well rounded treatment plan.

I don't know whose fault it is, but somehow the label, 'assist', morphed into 'panacea'.

17. programmer_guy

programmer_guy True Ex-Scientologist

...And chiropractic treatment for my old back injury. A touch assist didn't help at all.

(also low dose Iron with vitamin C can fix purpura.)

Last edited: May 10, 2019
    JustSheila and Voodoo like this.
  18. Voodoo

That mirrors my experiences with touch assist tech and chiropractic therapy.

For whatever reason, touch assists never bit on me. Who knows, maybe I was just resistant and un-receptive to some stranger repeatedly touching my body? I don't know, but they were always a huge waste of time to me.

A lot of what Hubbard introduced as workable tech, was tested on just a few individuals prior to release to the broad public as 'fully researched'. Sometimes his 'research' involved just one test subject.

Now, that's my view of touch assist tech, but it's only based on my observations of one test subject - me, so take it with a grain of salt. ;) Your mileage may vary.

JustSheila likes this.
  19. Dulloldfart

Dulloldfart Squirrel Extraordinaire

"In the zone" regarding physical activity happened with me only once, playing darts. Interesting, because alcohol was involved too. Now, I've drunk alcohol while playing darts many other times, but the phenomenon didn't repeat.

What is this "In the zone"-ness as encountered by top athletes? It seems to be the same phenomenon as "being exterior", often (heatedly) discussed on ESMB.

Alcohol can lead to a temporarily altered mental state too. Think I'll stop here. :biggrin:

Paul

tesseract likes this.
  20. Dulloldfart

Dulloldfart Squirrel Extraordinaire

Touch assists? I think TA's work, when they do, by "balancing up flows". There's no need to get deeper into whatever subtle-energy systems are in one's extended anatomy, "meridians"/"acupuncture points" in Chinese medicine.

Someone who has had a bunch of TA's will be relatively well-balanced, and so the marginal benefit of one more TA will be small. Someone who has never had one, or any other balancing procedure (Touch for Health comes to mind, as I did a couple of workshops in that), is likely to respond much better as there is more to be put right.

Paul