What's new

L. Ron Hubbard - The REAL reason people leave Scientology: ARC Breaks

CommunicatorIC

@IndieScieNews on Twitter

I've seen this data referenced numerous times before, but never in its own thread, and never with verification from Bill Franks. I also think it is significant that it was posted on the South African Independent Scientology blog, Scientologists back in comm.

What is sad are the people in the BIC comment thread who try to explain this away or suggest that Bill Franks "misduplicated" or "misunderstood."

The REAL reason people leave Scientology

https://backincomm.wordpress.com/2015/03/23/the-real-reason-people-leave-scientology/

* * * * * BEGIN QUOTATION * * * * *

(Article submitted by Kent Bengtsson)

CONFIDENTIAL: WHY PEOPLE LEAVE – LRH

A while ago I received a “friend request” on Facebook from Bill Franks. My first impulse was to ignore it from the accounts I had heard of when he was ED Int, back in the early eighties. But then I thought; many people who are today outside, were doing bad things back when they were on high pressure posts in the SO, so why not give him a chance.

So I looked at his profile and my attention got caught by a Blog article called “The real reason people leave Scientology – ARC Breaks” (Link supplied at end of article)

This is the part of it written by Bill Franks himself, and it appears he wants this to be spread, for many to see, so I have taken the liberty to copy it here:

“Firstly, I swear that this is the absolute and complete truth even though it occurred 37 years ago.

Secondly, a little about me which might put things into perspective as to why I saw what I am about to say as very significant and in a way horrific. I was in the SO for a little under 14 years. I attained the “rank” of Lt. Commander through promotions only by Hubbard.

I was OEC and FEBC (trained by Hubbard), HSDC, Class IX when I left in December 27 1981, as well as DSEC, NOTs auditor, plus assorted other stuff. I was OT V plus NOTs, plus sec-checked up the wazoo over the years. I also audited between 3-4000 hours conservatively speaking-probably much more, a lot of this was under LRH as the C/S.

I spent about 3 1/2 years working with Hubbard pretty directly on the ship at various posts. I got to know him as well as anybody did.

Thirdly and to the point of all this preamble, on one night in 1974 I found myself in David Mayo’s office in the tween decks of the Apollo. It was very late or early in the morning. We were, I believe in the port of Safi, Morocco.

A student of mine, I was currently D of T and Mayo was Flag Senior C/S, had blown. Hubbard was extremely angry with us due to this blown student of mine on the FEBC program. In an attempt to show Hubbard what we had done to handle this guy we collected up all the sec-checking that he had received over the last 2 months, it had been a lot (poor guy), and presented it to him along with an outline of this student’s progress on the courses he had taken. We had also wanted to show him how we had been careful that he hadn’t gone by misunderstoods, etc.

We waited and waited and about 0300 hrs a messenger came down with a despatch written by LRH. My memory does not recall any folders being returned. The despatch was entitled Very Confidential underlined. He went onto say that “if you or Franks ever reveal any of this information that I am about to reveal, the consequences will be severe for SCN.”

He then wrote “a person does not blow due Overts or Witholds. He blows only due to ARC BKs.

“However, if any of this information ever became public, I would lose all control of the orgs and eventually Scientology as a whole.” Signed, LRH.

Both Mayo and me looked at one another completely incredulously. I cannot speak for Dave but I was completely flabbergasted as I realized at that point of digestion that he is talking about something that 75-80% of the tech is premised upon. Furthermore, the OEC/FEBC was currently anchored by the latest” development” at the time -being the L’s, L-10, 11 & 12. Which for those who don’t know is about OW’s. I don’t believe Mayo or I talked about this again until we were out where I saw him at his auditing facility in Montecito, California in 1983. I believed we were a bit shell shocked about this.

As for me, I began to see more and more that Scientology was merely a big prison camp. I stayed in for another 7 plus years but I was always mindful of this and always had in mind changing this “tech.” I believe it is the key to what we have all seen and experienced as brainwashing.

That is all. I hope someone who wants to use this will do so as there is no doubt that there is good in the tech it is just a matter of where is it.

How do you sort out the good and the bad and at the same time keep the good without throwing out the baby with the bath water.

I regret that I could not fix this during my tenure.

Best, wogman Bill Franks”

I know this is not exactly South African news, but in the light of the Scientology scene in South Africa, I think this should be known. Well, I think we all know this already on some level, but we did not know that LRH himself admitted to this, and made the decision to keep it under lids.

Was that a wise decision, you think?

Kent Bengtsson

http://cofsexit.blogspot.co.uk/2014/04/the-real-reason-people-leave.html?spref=fb

Editor Footnote:

Before publishing this article, BIC made direct contact with Bill Franks regarding the authenticity of what is reported here. He personally verified this account, and added the following in his response to our query:

“I still think this revelation would be quite meaningful and helpful to people thinking about leaving……….. This will no doubt come across as hyperbole but, especially for the SO people who are subjected to hours and hours of “sec checking” and “roll back’, it really is not. This “hat” was greedily grabbed up by Miscavige who uses it to build his kingdom. I am not saying or inferring that confessing things to someone appropriate is not beneficial, but doing it under stress with everyone looking at your folder, though supposedly confidential, is “under stress” with many negative consequences, such as the RPF, the hole, etc.

Kind Regards, Bill”

* * * * * END QUOTATION * * * * *

JustSheila

Crusader
Bill Franks made that statement right here on ESMB, too, and that L Ron Hubbard knew this and intentionally misled others to believe that it was overts and withholds that caused upsets, full well knowing that this would only instill them with a false guilt when they were actually upset. Bill Franks was here on ESMB for only a little while, though. He wanted us to know this and a few other truths about the conartist psychopath, Hubbard. Bill Franks seems to me to be a very nice man.

Veda

Sponsor
Bill Franks' posts start here - Feb 2011. Topic 'Brainwashing':

Yes, I wrote it and all I can add is that Hubbard often wrote his C/S's on foolscap paper and I am sure the paper was disappeared but this is an accurate telling of what Hubbard thought of his o/w tech. best, Bill franks

:)

"...we must have command of their values... the first loyalty [to himself] is destroyed... by demonstrating errors in him... Degradation and conquest are companions... degradation can be accomplished... by consistent and continual defamation. Defamation is the best and foremost weapon of Psycho-politics on the broad field."

L. Ron Hubbard, 1955, from his "Russian" Brainwashing Manual.

Elronius of Marcabia

Silver Meritorious Patron
The reason people leave is mistreatment on a "personal" level, it's the common thread
of almost every left or leaving story your gonna hear.

Hoobards upside down horse shit theory a person leaves because of their misdeeds
is so low and so depraved and insidious as to only be compared to abusers
like wife beaters and child abusers.

Think about it "you pulled it in" says the wife beater, you made it happen.

Sick fuckin shit :angry: and Hubbard used it to dominate and control and make himself rich
in the process.

When I see Hubbard reffered to as "Ron" makes me wanta puke my lunch :puke:

Veda

Sponsor

I've seen this data referenced numerous times before, but never in its own thread, and never with verification from Bill Franks. I also think it is significant that it was posted on the South African Independent Scientology blog, Scientologists back in comm.

What is sad are the people in the BIC comment thread who try to explain this away or suggest that Bill Franks "misduplicated" or "misunderstood."

The REAL reason people leave Scientology

https://backincomm.wordpress.com/2015/03/23/the-real-reason-people-leave-scientology/

-snip-

It's veering uncomfortably close to the truth: that Hubbard was willing to lie to Scientologists, not just about himself, but also about auditing tech; and that Hubbard had a hidden agenda which was the opposite of his advertised "Humanitarian aims."

JustSheila

Crusader
It's veering uncomfortably close to the truth: that Hubbard was willing to lie to Scientologists, not just about himself, but also about auditing tech; and that Hubbard had a hidden agenda which was the opposite of his advertised "Humanitarian aims."

Exactly, Veda. The fact that Hubbard knowingly and intentionally further abused those who suffered under his regime and further insulted and abused them by accusing them of crimes and wrongdoing when he actually knew they left due to genuine upsets over genuine mistreatment, and the fact he incorporated this bullshit into so much of the tek says it all.

Veda

Sponsor
'BIC' is nervous because they are dangerously close to pulling back the curtain.

A repost that may explain some of what they fear they may find:

The term, initially used, was 'thought reform'.

During 1950, in September, the Miami News published an article under the headline BRAIN WASHING TACTICS.

Edward Hunter, in 1951, adopted the term, using it in the title of his book, 'Brain-Washing in Red China'.

brainwashing-in-red-china.jpg

Hubbard appears to have been aware of this text.

In 1955, Hubbard secretly wrote a booklet - said by him to be a Russian Communist textbook. The "Russian" booklet denounced Dianetics multiple times. The Hubbard Dianetic Research Foundation commenced to mailing the "Russian" manual to individuals and organizations, including right wing organizations, the FBI and the U.S. Department of Defense.

L. Ron Hubbard defined what he considered to be brainwashing on the cover of his 1955 booklet. Under the word 'Brainwashing' appeared:

"The art and science of asserting and maintaining dominion over thoughts and loyalties... through mental healing."​

_________​

While I have mixed feelings about the 1960s Australian Anderson Report, IMO Anderson was spot on - almost prescient - regarding Hubbard's use of the "Brainwashing Manual" on others.

By 1965, the date of the issuing of the Anderson Report, Hubbard had only implemented - maybe - half the ideas and methods of that manual, while continuing to gradually incorporate the majority of the rest of the Manual into Scientology doctrine.

It would be 1974 before full implementation would have occurred, yet, in the mid 1960s was written:

"One remarkable exhibit tendered to the Board was a series of extracts form the Brain-washing manual..."

Anderson_Report_p084-brainwashing.jpg

This was 50 years ago. Amazing.

One can debate what the term brainwashing means, and cult apologists have a number of well honed arguments to nullify assertions that Scientology involves brainwashing; however, we know Hubbard's definition, and he even provided us with a 64 page booklet - originally used as a black propaganda vehicle to smear critics and dissidents as Communists - a booklet which, as the Anderson Report warned us, is, essentially, the "blueprint for Scientology."

_________​

A recent observation by Marty Rathbun:

"...Ron educated his followers on the mechanics intentionally used to control and damage the mind and simultaneously employed by him to do precisely that to his followers. It is diabolical in that the followers having been educated by Ron on the techniques would then never guess they would be used on the followers."

Bingo! :thumbsup:

Many years ago, I wrote about Hubbard's confidential instructions to Scientologists that they use "aberrative" and "enemy tactics" on Scientology's enemies, and how Hubbard had, also, secretly, used "aberrative" and "enemy tactics" on Scientologists, and how these tactics had been incorporated into the doctrine of Scientology, and about how Hubbard would often mention "enemy tactics" and, inevitably, present himself as the opponent of those tactics. This assured Scientologists that Hubbard would never use such tactics on them.

Perhaps the single most glaring example of this is Hubbard's secret use, on his own followers, of the ideas and methods of his 1955 hoax "Russian textbook on Psycho-politics."

The "Russian textbook" had been remarkably described in the mid 1960s in the Australian Anderson Report. 22 years later, an examination of this topic was published in the book, 'Messiah or Madman?' and, 14 years after that, an extensive examination was published in the e-book 'Brainwashing Manual Parallels'. Yet, the original piece in the mid 1960s Anderson Report stands out as an example of early and extraordinary insight. (And, by the way, it wasn't by Anderson, but by an unnamed contributor, whose contribution, Anderson, to his credit, recognized.)

One of the earliest to recognize this pattern by Hubbard was Volney Mathison, who, in 1954, wrote that Hubbard "uses the very power he has denounced." :

dianetics-hypnosis-by-volney.jpg

2014brawas.jpg

Hubbard denounced his "Russian" manual.

Hubbard had a master plan. He knew what he was doing.

Per his own definition of the word, "brainwashing," he forwarded ideas and implemented methods that would result in brainwashing - brainwashing according to his own definition, and according to his own blueprint.

Veda

Sponsor
Some background

[video=youtube;Fa3h3pnhg8s]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fa3h3pnhg8s[/video]

Not everyone leaves because they're upset and, definitely, most people do not leave because they have undisclosed misdeeds

Most on the below list were nether upset, nor were they hiding crimes. They simply chose to leave.

__________​

People have been leaving the CofS since 1954 when Scientology was incorporated as a Church. Before that, people left Dianetics, some of the better remembered are J.A. Winter (who wrote the Introduction for 'DMSMH'), and John Campbell (who published the first article on Dianetics in his 'Astounding Science Fiction' magazine). They left in 1950 and 1951.

Then came the transition to Scientology, after Hubbard lost the rights to the name 'Dianetics', and decided to drive former business partner, supporter and benefactor bonkers (who was a "one lifetime" Dianeticist), by concocting - pretty much overnight - "Whole Track Maps," and then the book 'History of Man' ("This is a cold blooded and factual account of your last sixty trillion years.") And more left.

Richard DeMille, who wrote some pieces now attributed to Hubbard, left around 1953. There were many others.

Around 1954, Hubbard, applying his "religion angle," wrote a for-display-to-Raw-Meat&Homo-Saps&Wogs 'Creed', and made Scientology a "Church," and more left.

1955 saw the publication of the vitriolic and devious 'Manual on Dissemination of Material' and the fraud-upon-Scientologists fake 'Russian textbook', and more decided Scientology was not for them, and left.

In 1959, L. Ron Hubbard Jr. left.

Lots of people left in the early 1960s with the era of 'Security Checking', deciding that any group that insists that its members undergo metered interrogation, with such questions as "Have you ever had any unkind thoughts about L. Ron Hubbard?" was not for them.

By 1965, Hubbard wrote 'Keeping Scientology Working', invented the SP Doctrine and SP Declares, Disconnection, the Fair Game Law, and the very confidential, "deadly serious," and vital to your survival, history of the universe&your mind, and starting calling himself 'Source', and many more people left. Amongst them was the first person to have been a 'Doctor of Scientology' (the Class 12 of that day), Jack Horner.

In 1967 came the Sea Org and Xenu, and more left.

By the late 1960s and early 1970s, the Commodore and his ashtray-carrying 13 year old girl servants were a law unto themselves on the 'Flagship', the "safest and sanest place in the universe," and more left.

John McMaster, 'The World's First Real Clear' and the 'Pope' of Scientology, left.

Writer William Burroughs came along, was involved briefly, did the Clearing Course then, upon completion, when asked if he wished to sign up for OT2, said, "No thanks," and left.

Many others left.

Then came the RPF and the RPF's RPF, and more left.

By early 1977, Hubbard had written his "LSD, Years after they had Come of off' HCOB, in which he described people who had ever taken LSD as "zombies," and soon after told them that they were required to wear rubber suits and run around for hours, and more left.

Then, in July 1977 came the FBI raids, and two years later came the court-ordered release of thousands of pages of secret Scientology documents, revealing much of Hubbard's secret spying and covert attack tech, and even more left.

Then Hubbard decided that almost everyone was "Clear" and needed to exit Missions (which he was in the early stage of looting), and go "up lines" and spend their money there; and, while in hiding from (real or imagined) subpoena servers, Hubbard even wrote a "Common Sense Moral Code" - making him an authority on "morality" - that advised, amongst other things, against being sexually promiscuous so as to avoid having "ground glass in the soup," and more people left.

This was followed, a few years later, by Hubbard responding to the Mission Holders Meeting of late 1981 by sending his #1 henchman, David Miscavige, to "handle" the next Mission Holders meeting of late 1982, and more left.

Then, roughly around that time, came the partial unearthing of Hubbard's past by way of the "Shannon documents," obtained through the Freedom of Information act (by a curious non-Scientologist), and more left.

By July 1984, there was Gerry Armstrong vs. Church of Scientology, and the further unearthing of Hubbard's past, and even more left.

Then came books like 'Messiah or Madman?' and 'Barefaced Messiah', and many more left.

Then came the Internet.

And then came ESMB.

And then more books, and now the upcoming Documentary.

Little David

Gold Meritorious Patron
Marty Rathbun on Bill Franks 2 days ago:

vinaire | March 21, 2015 at 4:28 pm | Reply
Marty, how do you plan to patch up with people who were hurt by your past actions, and who still feel upset with you. One such person is Bill Franks. I am curious to know because Bill Franks is a friend of mine. He is a good guy like you are. Like you he was also enmeshed in the evil system of Scientology.

Leland

Crusader
Marty Rathbun on Bill Franks 2 days ago:

vinaire | March 21, 2015 at 4:28 pm | Reply
Marty, how do you plan to patch up with people who were hurt by your past actions, and who still feel upset with you. One such person is Bill Franks. I am curious to know because Bill Franks is a friend of mine. He is a good guy like you are. Like you he was also enmeshed in the evil system of Scientology.

Probably a lot of work and digging...but curious when and where these 2 crossed paths.

Bill Franks.....was the CO of FCDC when I got on lines at age 17, in 1972?

Jeannie Franks was there...as were several other original OT 7s.....all Sea Org....but out of uniform except a couple...

I never talked to Franks...but to say hello maybe a couple times.

Don't know when Franks became ED Int.....or what Marty Rathbun was doing at the time...

Perhaps they could have been on the Apollo at the same time?

Don't remember when Franks was kicked out exactly either.....

But the rumor floating around PAC at the time....(for us public) was that Franks had been a CIA plant.

That really tickled me......that anyone would think that....or swallow that one.

But of course....my blinders stayed on.....and I didn't blink about Franks being pilloried...

Leland

Crusader
IMO, Marty is not being arrogant on that particular response... he was being defensive.
Guess why. :coolwink:

Was Marty involved with giving Franks the ax?

Probably old ground to go over for you guys........but that must have been some operation...to kick out the ED Int.

Some dates to put it all in perspective would be great.

programmer_guy

True Ex-Scientologist
Was Marty involved with giving Franks the ax?

Probably old ground to go over for you guys........but that must have been some operation...to kick out the ED Int.

Some dates to put it all in perspective would be great.

I can't imagine that Marty was a right-hand man to Miscavaige and NOT doing crap for that narcissistic work-place bully.

I would imagine that he must be very careful on what he admits to have done.
He has been, and still is, in a precarious position in many ways.

I wish him well on his long road out of Scientology and building a decent life for himself.

JustSheila

Crusader
IDK all the ins and outs of Marty's involvement with the destruction of the Mission Holder network and all, but here's a couple of the SP Declares from then. Maybe someone else knows Marty's involvement? I never read his books (it's hard enough to read his blog posts, I find his writing style pedantic and difficult) In those days, neither of those two were angels. Both Franks and Marty had huge egos. Franks seems to have mellowed out quite a bit since then.

As ED Int, Franks was a straight shooter. I thought Franks, Gleeson and LeSevre were all straight shooters, actually. But none of them actually had the power in their positions that they thought they had, and it was like they were all set up to be targets and fall guys. :target: Franks was sort of miltary-oriented as an ED Int, some had run-ins with him, but pretty much everyone thought he was sincere and you knew where you stood with him. He didn't beat staff, either. None of the ED Ints did.

http://www.robertdam-cos.dk/Bill Franks declare.pdf
http://www.reconnect.org/mott0128.htm

Here, also, is Bill Franks' personal interview and video.

http://www.forum.exscn.net/showthre...-Interview-Into-the-Scientology-Twilight-Zone

Leland

Crusader
I'll have to check out the vid later....its late for me.

But read the Declare. Wow.....what a bunch of mealy mouth statements....it really drones on and on....with platitudes..and "speachafacation......"

Not one "fact" in 5 pages....

Interesting....

I would think is uncommon to write a Declare on 3 people at the same time....?

Thanks for the links Sheila.