What's new

L Ron Hubbard's abuses and violence

I started a thread to document the current abuses and crimes of David Miscavige and the current "Church" of scientology as these are continuing to this day and Karen #1 has done a wonderful job posting information on that.

However it started with Hubbard, and no matter the argument that he is long gone, the truth is that he is the source of the policies that are still followed and will continue to be until the whole truth is known. His attitudes, cruelty, and actions are responsible for the current and past dreadful abuses throughout scientology history and I want to bring together all the personal accounts of those who knew or were affected by them.

There is no question about the need to make Miscavige accountable for his crimes, the danger lies in thinking he alone is responsible and that suddenly all would be ok if he is removed when the original policy and attitudes remain.

I'll add to this thread tomorrow when I have time to research, meantime here are two videos from Hana Whitfield with her personal experience of Hubbard and how he treated staff.

(Background info first, stories start appox 7:00)

I been independent for a year there are a lot of intolerant church scientologist reaching my universe, the mental and physical abuse I receive daily is disgusting, hard hold down, swollen ankles burst capillaries in my feet and the response, ITS TOUGH I'm getting in and if it's through you SO WHAT who you going to tell, no one will believe you. I smash back then get enturbulated on everyday purposes, like eating, overwhelmed by the person impinging their beingness. Facial features and movements not mine. Low scale beingness, I now walk with 2 canes and have to tell work colleagues and friends it's Arthiritis, very Civilised beingness.

Someone somewhere has to pass laws where overts committed by church members can be reported and appropriate legal actions taken. If someone attacked you in person you could charge them with a crime, as theres no way to prove the assault apart from videos where enturbulation is occuring, even then maybe seen as a lunatic ranting at evil impingement. Get together report it, keep proof and hold to account the individuals responsible then make it publicly known so others can report and stop the abuse.

TheOriginalBigBlue

Gold Meritorious Patron
I been independent for a year there are a lot of intolerant church scientologist reaching my universe, the mental and physical abuse I receive daily is disgusting, hard hold down, swollen ankles burst capillaries in my feet and the response, ITS TOUGH I'm getting in and if it's through you SO WHAT who you going to tell, no one will believe you. I smash back then get enturbulated on everyday purposes, like eating, overwhelmed by the person impinging their beingness. Facial features and movements not mine. Low scale beingness, I now walk with 2 canes and have to tell work colleagues and friends it's Arthiritis, very Civilised beingness.

Someone somewhere has to pass laws where overts committed by church members can be reported and appropriate legal actions taken. If someone attacked you in person you could charge them with a crime, as theres no way to prove the assault apart from videos where enturbulation is occuring, even then maybe seen as a lunatic ranting at evil impingement. Get together report it, keep proof and hold to account the individuals responsible then make it publicly known so others can report and stop the abuse.
Maybe this will help...

https://scientologymoneyproject.com...d-harming-its-own-members-and-how-to-stop-it/

(snipped)
As an aside, what this tells us is that the Scientologist who wishes to resign from the Church in order to escape its oppression and abuse is free to do so by sending the Church a written statement of resignation that includes a specific withdrawal of one’s consent to be governed by Scientology’s doctrinal rules. (And please note that I am not an attorney; this article may not be relied upon for legal advice. Please consult a licensed attorney in your state for specific legal advice about your particular situation.)

The point here is that anyone desiring to resign from a church and withdraw their consent to be governed by the rules of that church must make a positive act. This means writing a letter to appropriate church officials specifically stating one’s resignation and withdrawal of consent. In the case of the Church of Scientology one needs to resign from the IAS, the Church of Scientology International, and all Orgs where one has signed membership services contracts and had services; the positive act should be as broad and sweeping as possible.
(snipped)

Bill

Gold Meritorious Patron
Maybe this will help...

https://scientologymoneyproject.com...d-harming-its-own-members-and-how-to-stop-it/

(snipped)
As an aside, what this tells us is that the Scientologist who wishes to resign from the Church in order to escape its oppression and abuse is free to do so by sending the Church a written statement of resignation that includes a specific withdrawal of one’s consent to be governed by Scientology’s doctrinal rules. (And please note that I am not an attorney; this article may not be relied upon for legal advice. Please consult a licensed attorney in your state for specific legal advice about your particular situation.)

The point here is that anyone desiring to resign from a church and withdraw their consent to be governed by the rules of that church must make a positive act. This means writing a letter to appropriate church officials specifically stating one’s resignation and withdrawal of consent. In the case of the Church of Scientology one needs to resign from the IAS, the Church of Scientology International, and all Orgs where one has signed membership services contracts and had services; the positive act should be as broad and sweeping as possible.
(snipped)
I am not an attorney but this isn't a legal situation. A person does not have to "resign" from the Church of Scientology! No one has any legal (or moral) obligation to the Church of Scientology at any time! If a person no longer agrees with the Church of Scientology, THAT'S IT. No further steps need to be taken, no notification needs to be given, no obligation or burden exists. You simply stop participating.

One can, and should, demand their money back -- good luck with that -- but that would be the extent of any legal actions and that is completely optional.

I do not know about a 2 1/2 year or 5 year "staff contract" but the "Sea Org Billion Year Contract" has ZERO legal status.

programmer_guy

True Ex-Scientologist
<snip>

I do not know about a 2 1/2 year or 5 year "staff contract" but the "Sea Org Billion Year Contract" has ZERO legal status.
A franchise mission 5 year staff contract can only be enforced, within Scientology, if the staffer wants to go back after blowing.
IIRC, in the 1970s, the bond was $5,000. If the staffer never goes back then the money bond is not legally enforceable.

(However, I am not an attorney-at-law. For legal advice, seek an attorney.)

Last edited:

dchoiceisalwaysrs

Gold Meritorious Patron
I am not an attorney but this isn't a legal situation. A person does not have to "resign" from the Church of Scientology! No one has any legal (or moral) obligation to the Church of Scientology at any time! If a person no longer agrees with the Church of Scientology, THAT'S IT. No further steps need to be taken, no notification needs to be given, no obligation or burden exists. You simply stop participating.

One can, and should, demand their money back -- good luck with that -- but that would be the extent of any legal actions and that is completely optional.

Many contracts are often signed when one is involved with the criminal cult of scientology. Until the cult is fully convicted in criminal court, then there is some merit to giving qualified legal consideration with respect to any contracts whether verbal or written involving that criminal cult.

Bill

Gold Meritorious Patron
Many contracts are often signed when one is involved with the criminal cult of scientology. Until the cult is fully convicted in criminal court, then there is some merit to giving qualified legal consideration with respect to any contracts whether verbal or written involving that criminal cult.
Yeah, that's a good idea when it comes to any legal action against the church, as we've seen. However, there is absolutely no obligation to "resign" from the church as the article stated. That's really stupid.

TheOriginalBigBlue

Gold Meritorious Patron

In the case that Jeffrey cites my impression is that by giving notice they were setting the groundwork for a case and it worked. Maybe the notice in itself isn't the basis for legal action but if someone is stalking you or committing libel such a notice establishes that there is a known situation which the stalker knowingly and deliberately continues. In other words, you are removing their argument that it was a one off incident attributable to some clerical error or irresponsible underling, etc.

It's been a long time since I was immersed in Scientology policy but from my recollection if I wanted to stop phone calls, mail and visits to my home I'm pretty sure a public disavowal and criticism of Scientology and a letter from my lawyer telling them I formally do not want anything to do with them and don't consider myself subject to their internal judicial procedures or policy, and that I will sue them if they continue to call, mail or visit - would get me taken off their lists.

As things are I rather enjoy seeing them consume resources calling me and sending me mail uselessly for decades. While on staff I found it to be very demoralizing staying up late writing letters to people who had absolutely no response or connection for many many years. In order to make the calls and letters real they have to study the file to find something that I might relate to and in so doing they see I've been avoiding them for decades. And from my file they can see that I very possibly had much more training, held much higher posts and had much more significant accomplishments on staff than themselves. It's not like I took the Personality Test, bought a Dianetics book and disappeared. Sane wog businesses take people off their lists after about three years of inactivity but, No! Hubbard thought he owned you for eternity and because you are a cheap putz he expects you to call and write these people for eternity also even if it means going without much needed sleep or TP. In the old days an Adunk (Address Unknown) file was sloooowly and very begrudgingly relegated to dead files after many tries. But with the advent of the internet, they now skip trace me from one place to the next and call people I knew to verify my address. This only serves to reinforce my perception that they are a cult and people need to be warned. Nice going Hubs.

Actually, I'm amazed in this day and age that they don't get sued regularly for declaring people SPs (Suppressive Persons). It's not the same as saying someone is excommunicated or expelled. The term SP has a very broad connotation defined in a lot of Scientology material and collectively it says an SP is evil, something like a psychopath or sociopath, irredeemable, stripped of all human rights and should be destroyed. That is more like a fatwa. If a Mosque issues a fatwa in the US and some follower causes harm to someone because of it then I would expect the fatwa issuer to be culpable.

Maybe Scientology versions of fatwas are protected by religious cloaking but I doubt the harm they cause is. By sending such letters I think you are documenting their fatwa practices which could expose them to litigation.

I'm not a lawyer.

cakemaker

Patron Meritorious

Don't forget that current contracts call the staff member a "volunteer" (which makes absolutely no sense).

DagwoodGum

Squirreling Dervish
This I found fascinating after reading it for the first time while seeking references for derisive laughter having to be edited out of his lectures.

"This, says DeWolf, stemmed from his father’s continual interest in black magic and the occult. DeWolf himself was born prematurely, weighing two pounds, two ounces, and he now tells people, " I wasn’t exactly born, I was aborted. He was trying to do an abortion bit on me. He had one of those insane things, especially during the ‘30s, of trying to invoke the devil for power and practices. My mother told me about him trying out all kinds of various incantations, drugs and hypnosis...His initials for it were PDH — pain, drugs, hypnosis. The use of PDH, coupled with black magic, was an effective for of brainwashing or mind control. You’ll see throughout early Scientology literature, ‘PDH.’"
DeWolf also describes his father as a wife-beater. "He used to beat her up quite often. He had a violent, volcano-type temper, and he smacked her around quite a bit. I remember in 1946 or 1947 when he was beating up my mother one night. I had a .22 rifle and I sat on the stairway with him in my sights, and I almost blew his head off."
Birth of DeWolf from attempted abortion

Enthetan

Master of Disaster

Yes and no.

Over the years where you were a Scientologist, you signed stacks and stacks of agreements giving up various rights. It makes sense to legally notify them that you regard all such agreements as now being void.

Leland

Crusader
I recall some activity around the mid 90s....where public was asked to sign some document (s). But don't remember what they were.

Prior to that, I don't think the public was asked to sign much of anything?

Now I read that public is asked to sign all kinds of things.

Idea:

Perhaps some lawyer could draft a sort of catch-all document to legally sever any ties for an individual from the cult? A uniform doc would be interesting.

Some sort of internet campaign could be started to get all ex-s to sign and send it in. That would be interesting...

I guess that is a pipe dream. And, personally I wouldn't want to make any contact with the cult. ( I haven't demonstrated in a while...but will probably do so at some time.)

Leland

Crusader

Welcome new member!

I too function under continual spiritual, mental and physical attacks from the Cult. I left about 17 years ago....and it started then. It has never stopped ....

Not much is talked about these types of attacks on this forum. It seems that not all ex-s have to bare up under this sort of thing....but I believe many do.

Good luck to you.

Bill

Gold Meritorious Patron
Yes and no.

Over the years where you were a Scientologist, you signed stacks and stacks of agreements giving up various rights. It makes sense to legally notify them that you regard all such agreements as now being void.
The agreements are all designed to protect the church from any and all liability. That is, they are all designed to protect the church from you. And, I don't think that "resigning" legally negates any such agreements. After all, you can't just "resign" from your mortgage and magically erase your debt. The Garcias, for instance, were no longer Scientologists but were still bound by the agreements they signed while in.

In other words, "resigning" doesn't help you, it helps the church by giving them a heads-up on a possible future troublemaker and doesn't remove the church's protection from the previously signed agreements.

Maybe it would make a person feel good to "resign" but the idea that this is necessary is, I believe, bogus.

ThetanExterior

Gold Meritorious Patron
Welcome new member!

I too function under continual spiritual, mental and physical attacks from the Cult. I left about 17 years ago....and it started then. It has never stopped ....

Not much is talked about these types of attacks on this forum. It seems that not all ex-s have to bare up under this sort of thing....but I believe many do.

Good luck to you.
I think the reason this isn't discussed much on this forum is probably because most of us think it is bunkum. Scientologists don't have any special powers to engage in spiritual or mental attacks.

If you think someone can affect you mentally then you will be affected. If you think they can't then you won't. Simple as that IMO.

Bill

Gold Meritorious Patron
I think the reason this isn't discussed much on this forum is probably because most of us think it is bunkum. Scientologists don't have any special powers to engage in spiritual or mental attacks.

If you think someone can affect you mentally then you will be affected. If you think they can't then you won't. Simple as that IMO.
Exactly, like voodoo -- it only works if you believe it works and are told it is being done. Whenever I hear from someone about "Scientologists" conducting "mental attacks" I get upset. THERE ARE NO OTs.

Not one Scientologist has any "OT powers". Not one.

David Miscavige, a drunk and serial abuser, hires non-Scientology, non-OT private investigators to stalk people he hates. Miscavige orders Scientologists to strap silly little cameras to their heads and knock on "enemies'" doors.

Seriously, does anyone need any further proof that THERE ARE NO OTs?

It is terribly sad that some people believe in "OT". I wish there was a cure for that mental illness.