L. Ron Hubbard's Affirmations: 1984 Armstrong trial transcript excerpts

Caroline

Patron Meritorious
Related thread: Affirmations - new Wikipedia article

I'll add some references to Hubbard's Affirmations, from the Armstrong 1 trial, summations.

THE COURT: Judge Paul G. Breckenridge.
MR. LITT: Barrett S. Litt. Attorney representing Mary Sue Hubbard.
MR. FLYNN: Michael Flynn. Attorney representing Gerry Armstrong.
MR. HARRIS: Robert N. Harris. Attorney representing Church of Scientology of California.

REPORTERS' DAILY TRANSCRIPT Friday said:

LOS ANGELES, CALIFORNIA; FRIDAY, JUNE 8, 1984; 9:05 A.M.

oOo​

THE COURT: Very well, in the case on trial let the record reflect that counsel are all present. Who is going to open here, Mr. Litt?

MR. LITT: I will, Your Honor.

THE COURT: Very well.

MR. LITT: May it please the court, this case began and still essentially remains a simple and straight-forward case. We are seeking damages and injunctive relief for Mr. Armstrong's breach of his fiduciary duty, conversion of documents, both originals and copies, invasion of Mrs. Hubbard's privacy and breach of confidence.

[...]

Now, I want to discuss Mrs. Dincalci's testimony for a moment. The court will recall I asked her on cross-examination whether any of the documents had been shown to her and she said yes. And I asked her what, and it was clear from her description that it included the affirmations and "Excalibur" and probably the document that is labeled here "Blood Rituals."

And I asked her, "Well, was this before any of these events with the photographs?" And she said, "Yes." That was her testimony originally.

Of course, she came back in after the break and after having her memory refreshed by Mr. Armstrong and Mr. Flynn, and thought that it was now after the photo incident. I think, as between the two versions, there is not much question about which is the credible version, and so the record establishes that by April he is beginning to show these documents to people and it is building in him to use these documents.

[...]

The Bonaventure Meeting. The Bonaventure meeting, the dates were obscured in Mr. Armstrong's testimony for good reason because he didn't know about the second Declare when the Bonaventure meeting happened. What happened at the Bonaventure meeting? It occurs May 26th and May 27. He brings Mr. Flynn four or five binders and leaves them with him.

Mr. Flynn has the documents at the meeting. Kima Douglas has testified that Mr. Flynn said to people at the meeting, "Here are documents. Read them. These are documents from the archives. These are private documents."

These are documents that were not, I assume, that this was not shown to the Douglases and the Dincalcis for Mr. Armstrong's defense. They were shown to the Douglases and the Dincalcis because the purpose of giving the documents to Mr. Flynn was to use them, to use them to attack with.

So that now at this meeting, at the latest, and probably earlier, an arrangement is made between Mr. Flynn and Mr. Armstrong that he will send him these materials. By the way, what materials are they at the Bonaventure Hotel. The affirmations, private correspondence with his first wife, Naval records, and according to Kima Douglas, she believes the letter of Mary Sue Hubbard. An agreement is made in which these materials will be sent to Mr. Flynn.

Now, immediately after this meeting, the day after, according to Mr. Armstrong's September 16, 1982 declaration; conveniently Mr. Armstrong's remarkable memory for dates stated, when he was on the witness stand, but it seems to have existed still back in September 1982, and those dates show that right after the Bonaventure meeting on the 29th of August Mr. Armstrong went to Utah. He went to Utah and he made an arrangement with Mr. Garrison that he will send documents to Mr. Flynn for his supposed defense. That is the story that he gave to Mr. Garrison as a way to get Mr. Garrison to agree.

And on -- I'm sorry. I said 'August." I mean "May."

And on May 31st after he returns from Utah, after he has made these arrangements, he has a telephone call from Marilyn Brewer -- this is according to his September 16, 1982 declaration -- he has a telephone call from Marilyn Brewer in which she tells him of the second declare. And then and only then does he learn of it.

In the next period of time he sends thousands of documents to Mr. Flynn.

He gets a demand letter from Mr. Peterson, which is in the record. That occurs also, according to his September 16, 1982 declaration, on May 31st. And what does he do? He lies. He says, "I don't have any documents." While he is sending them to Michael Flynn.

Now, the Court heard Mr. Flynn walk up with each one of these documents. And he presented it to Mr. Armstrong and he said, "Did you send those to me for your defense?"

And Mr. Armstrong, in a litany, said, "Yes," that that is what he did.

"Request to admit:

"Between June, 1982 and August, 1982 inclusive Gerald Armstrong knowingly allowed Michael J. Flynn to utilize some of the original materials and copies of original materials which he had sent to Michael J. Flynn during the same time period in litigation other than the instant suit.​

"Admitted."​

That tells the real story. These documents were sent to Michael Flynn, not for some suit, because the only suit that has ever occurred or would have occurred was for taking them and sending them to Mr. Flynn.

No. They are sent to Michael Flynn for him to use, to use against the Church, to use against L. Ron Hubbard, to use against Mary Sue Hubbard as part of an attack that has millions of dollars at stack [stake]. And Mr. Armstrong fits right into it because his hostility is so deep that anything that attacks Scientology, he is for at this point. That was the motivation for sending these documents. That is what this whole case is really about.

They were sent to Michael Flynn so that they could be exposed and used. In fact, Kima Douglas even testified that at the Bonaventure meeting there was discussion about having a public meeting to talk about these documents. And what is it that he has sent?

He has sent whole binders; he sent everything he had between Mary Sue Hubbard and L. Ron Hubbard. The only reason that there aren't a lot of Mrs. Hubbard's letters is because he didn't happen to have those because if the Court will recall, they had a second set of letters. And Mr. Garrison didn't think that those were that important.

He sent their private marital agreement written over 30 years ago between Mr. and Mrs. Hubbard; he sent whole binders of letters between Mr. Hubbard and his first wife; the whole binder of letters between Mr. Hubbard and

his second wife; letters to attorneys; binders of letters between Mr. Hubbard and his parents including letters to Mary Sue Hubbard from Mr. Hubbard's parents; all of the internal Church documents that he could find; financial matters, private matters, eulogies; he sent all of the private papers that he could of Mr. Hubbard. He sent the affirmations; he sent every private diary and journal that he could get his hands on. He sent business correspondence, wills, letters from children, receipts, notes, the list is endless. These, for what, to what end? To attack Scientology; to bring these documents out because nothing else mattered to Mr. Armstrong at that point.

http://www.gerryarmstrong.org/50k/legal/a1/2517.php

MR. FLYNN: Then all he [Gerry Armstrong] did -- Your Honor has seen the exhibits where he said he knows the organization's campaign of harassment. He wants to leave and he leaves. All he wants to do is sell some photographs.

He even tells Nancy Dincalci not to contact me

as the big enemy that is out to destroy this wonderful organization. All he wants to do is sell some photographs.

And the next thing that occurs -- and, coincidentally, the same date that Wilhite says, "Come on over" is April 22nd, 1982, which, as Your Honor knows, is the same date as the declare. Coincidentally, Virgil Wilhite, former member of the B-1 Bureau of the Guardian's Office calls Gerald Armstrong on April 22nd, the same date of the declare which accuses Mr. Armstrong of some 26 items, theft, defamation, rumor mongering, a whole host of things, not one of which was proved; not any iota of evidence was introduced in this courtroom to substantiate one item of that declare.

Here is the man being accused of all these things by an organization that has a history of having such things as Fair Game Doctrine; he has photographs taken; he is a walking time bomb. He is fearful that they are going to come and get him. He is fearful of having such things as was done to Homer Schomer done to him.

And Mr. Litt tries to interpret his going down in a frenzy to the CMO building as showing that he was the aggressor.

Mr. Armstrong was in a state, I submit, Your Honor, that only someone who has emerged from 10 or 12 years in an organization such as Mr. Hubbard's, being subjected to the things on a year-in-and-year-out basis that Mr. Hubbard subjected him to could understand that state of mind.

But that state of mind is reflected by the fact that when he did contact me, contrary to the position of the plaintiff and the intervenor, he sent me every document including baby photos or baby items because he had been accused of theft; even though he was in the rightful possession of the documents, as we are going to discuss in this argument. He sent everything.

Does that show a man who is out soliciting documents to attack the organization?

He takes everything and sends it to his lawyer.

I submit, Your Honor, that the overwhelming evidence of Kima Douglas, Mr. Schomer, Gerald Armstrong, Nancy Dincalci, all of these witnesses have clearly shown the Court that the people who have been used, the people who have been intimidated, the people who have been subjected to such things as lockups, security checks, forced confessionals, having their files culled, knowledge that a Fair Game Doctrine even existed, are the people such as Mr. Armstrong, Miss Douglas, Miss Dincalci, Jocelyn Armstrong; They are not the people in possession of the hundreds of millions of dollars going into Swiss bank accounts. They are not the people who have an army of lawyers and an array of L, Ron Hubbard proponents of the Tech who will go out and do almost anything, as Mary Sue Hubbard went to jail for, to perpetrate the drive for information, power, and money that is clearly reflected in the documentary evidence before the Court.

As Your Honor is aware, Mr. Armstrong joined

this organization because he believed in representations made to him.

Those representations were testified at length and they involve all the claims about L. Ron Hubbard which have been testified to. They also incorporate, and I submit that this is important for the court's consideration, they incorporate within them the drive in every human being to find truth, find reality, fulfill a purpose in life, do good, help others. All those things that nature propels man toward, all of those things in life that are significant, all those motivations were in Gerald Armstrong.

To translate that basic desire in human nature into joining a religious organization in the context of the evidence is inappropriate. If the court did that, every human being who goes to college, to medical school, that subscribes to any uplifting goal, could be deemed to be pursuing a religious pursuit.

Scientology was not sold at that time, as the evidence is clear, as a religion. It was sold as a science. The science of knowing how to know, the science of sciences. That is how it was sold.

Where the fraud becomes incorporated is taking that basic instinct in human nature and tying it into L. Ron Hubbard, L. Ron Hubbard's goals, L. Ron Hubbard's academic qualifications, L. Ron Hubbard's professional qualifications, L. Ron Hubbard's 30 years of research into the human mind, L. Ron Hubbard's twice being pronounced dead, L. Ron Hubbard fighting in five theaters in World War II, which is just ridiculous, L. Ron Hubbard being a war hero, L. Ron Hubbard being flown home on the Secretary

of Navy's plane, L. Ron Hubbard being extensively decorated.

That is where the essential thread that permeates the entire organization takes place and that permeates this case takes place. You take the idealistic motivations of someone like Mr. Armstrong and you tie then into the fraud, the willingness of someone intentionally to deceive an idealistic young person for his own gain, which is clearly reflected in, among other things, L. Ron Hubbard's own handwriting, the affirmations, which the court has seen fit to only allow a portion of into evidence because of the sensitive, incredibly sensitive nature of what is really revealed in those writings about L. Ron Hubbard's mind and where L. Ron Hubbard was coming from.

To tie in Mr. Hubbard's malevolent intent as reflected in those documents and in the parade of lies that are reflected in the exhibits before the court with the idealistic aspiration of someone like Mr. Armstrong is where the fraud lies. It's got to do with joining, quote as recited in one exhibit, "L. Ron Hubbard's personal Org" which he also says in the policy "the founder" referring to his personal office as being his, but in one of those solicitations he says, "The Sea Org is L. Ron Hubbard's personal organization."

You tie in this web of intrigue and lies created about the man, you take the idealistic aspirations of almost any young person, and you give then a raft of shore stories, and the next thing you have got them working on a ship that is being run by a profit making corporation

for L. Ron Hubbard, the OTC, where they are lying to governments for the next five years that they are really not Scientology or Dianetics, which he thought he was joining, a science with L. Ron Hubbard to help mankind.

[...]

Your Honor knows from the affirmations in his own handwriting and from all the medical records what the truth is. The truth of the matter is that he had some conjunctivitis.

I submit, Your Honor, an inference can be drawn that that conjunctivitis relates from his malingering.

The affirmation is that he used his hip as a pose. He used his eyes as an excuse to avoid school. He went to the VA to lie to then to get a pension.

He even says in his affirmations that he'll walk out of the VA examination, as Your Honor will recall, and laugh at them.

He says it is okay for him to tell lies.

He says he can tell lies to people. It is all right for L, Ron Hubbard, he writes in his own handwriting in 1946, writes during the period of the origin of this science. He also says he has a right to be merciless to people in those same writings and that men are his slaves. That is a little from those writings that are in evidence.

He claims he spent a year in a civilian hospital after the war which he paid for himself. That is exhibit 500-XX.

Well, the year after the war, as Your Honor knows, he was running around with Sarah Northrup, getting involved with Allied Enterprises with Jack Parsons and the OTO and making frivolous claims to the Veterans Administration.

He says he was supposedly hopelessly crippled and a burden upon family and friends in exhibit Q. That is when he went off and married Sarah Northrup bigamously August 10, 1946.

He said he rose above the cause of all human aberrations and problems. That is throughout Scientology literature as testified by Mr. Armstrong.

Your Honor, if Mr. Hubbard rose above the cause of all human aberrations and problems as reflected by the lies he told currently, such as in the Dive Bomber, then truth does equal lies.

[...]

I submit to the Court it is clear what should be done with these documents.

The originals should be returned to L. Ron Hubbard if L. Ron Hubbard wants them. And if he wants them, he should come in and ask for them.

Copies of all of the documents should be preserved as accurate copies of the originals for purposes of the completion of this litigation and for those documents, in my personal view, which I submit to the Court, is that all the documents, given the nature of the conduct Mary Sue Hubbard has engaged in, even the affirmations which are obviously of a sensitive nature, all of those copies of those documents should be released to the public.

Parents of children out there who are getting involved in this organization, some 1,000 of which I have dealt with in the last five years, people who have been ripped off financially, people who want to know the truth about L. Ron Hubbard, they are the ones who should see and bear the fruits of what Mr. Armstrong has tried to do, not only inside the organization, but through nine weeks of this trial and two years of litigation defending himself against this organization.

If Mr. Hubbard wants his originals, he should come in and ask for them. The copies should be maintained in court, those that the Court deems appropriate, copies of which the Court deems appropriate should be put in the public arena.

And to assess damages against Mr. Armstrong in

light of what he has been through to tell the truth, to reveal the truth, to come into this court and litigate what is in these documents, would be a severe injustice.

Thank you, Your Honor.

MR. HARRIS: Mr. Armstrong shows to his friends and sends to Michael Flynn the affirmations which is a rudimentary item like a PC folder. The very private things that one discloses in session, Mr. Armstrong wants to expose to the world and so does Mr. Flynn.

Judge Breckenridge issued his decision twelve days later.

Type4_PTS

Diamond Invictus SP

I recall the briefings from OSA back when I was on Boston staff during the 80's about Michael Flynn. He was portrayed as one of the most evil beings in the universe. (I think he was in the Top 5 along with Paulette Cooper) :biggrin:

Gib

Crusader
Related thread: Affirmations - new Wikipedia article

I'll add some references to Hubbard's Affirmations, from the Armstrong 1 trial, summations.

THE COURT: Judge Paul G. Breckenridge.
MR. LITT: Barrett S. Litt. Attorney representing Mary Sue Hubbard.
MR. HARRIS: Robert N. Harris. Attorney representing Church of Scientology of California.

Judge Breckenridge issued his decision twelve days later.

"To tie in Mr. Hubbard's malevolent intent as reflected in those documents and in the parade of lies that are reflected in the exhibits before the court with the idealistic aspiration of someone like Mr. Armstrong is where the fraud lies. It's got to do with joining, quote as recited in one exhibit, "L. Ron Hubbard's personal Org" which he also says in the policy "the founder" referring to his personal office as being his, but in one of those solicitations he says, "The Sea Org is L. Ron Hubbard's personal organization."

And thus the evil started just prior KSW (stealing all the great works of the individuals involved in creating the St Hill course). And it begin as the Sea Project. OMG. The CMO, childern of the corn. He really turned the thing up, survival, for himself and his legacy.

Who knows what he did to that little hilter DM behind unknown ears.

Caroline

Patron Meritorious
I recall the briefings from OSA back when I was on Boston staff during the 80's about Michael Flynn. He was portrayed as one of the most evil beings in the universe. (I think he was in the Top 5 along with Paulette Cooper) :biggrin:

Thanks, Type4_PTS. Flynn was, of course, a Boston attorney, and, around that time, the Scientologists were raising money for their war chest against him and his clients, and recruiting local staff to participate in fair gaming them.

michael-flynn-time-1983.jpg

Michael Flynn, from Time 21 January 1983: Mystery of the Vanished Ruler

More documents: Scientology Fair Games Michael Flynn, Armstrong's Attorney

[video=youtube;pR12bnpJSX8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pR12bnpJSX8&feature=gv[/video]

Caroline

Patron Meritorious
Mary Sue Hubbard's attorney introduced the Affirmations at trial on 4 May, 1984.

Reporters' Daily Transcript (May 4 said:
(Excerpts from the depositions of Gerald Armstrong were read into the record verbatim starting at page 691.)

MR. LITT: [...]

From the October 28, 1983 deposition transcript, page 264, line 2 through line 21:

[...]

"Q Well, maybe you can explain it to me. Was there within the archives materials that you were working with while you held the archives position some documents that had been labeled or identified ‘Affirmations’?

"A That is correct.

"Q Can you explain to me what these were.

"A Affirmations were handwritten materials, handwritten by L. Ron Hubbard, which​

went over various of his problems, and they were self-hypnotic commands that he was writing to himself, affirmations. And they were from the late 1940’s, and they referred to his work career, his physical and mental condition, that sort of thing.

"Q Then, were these separate documents, or were they all one document? How were they physically compiled?

"A They were assorted. There’s a number from the same kind of period or same style of writing.

"Q And these were handwritten –

"A Yes.

"Q — by Mr. Hubbard?

"A Yes."​

http://www.gerryarmstrong.org/50k/legal/a1/2511.php

Caroline

Patron Meritorious
The Affirmations came up again on May 14, 1984, during a discussion about Armstrong's list of sealed exhibits.

Reporters' Daily Transcript (May 14 said:

MR. LITT: Your Honor, we are approaching here what are on the defendant’s list of sealed exhibits marked 4-F through 4- — actually — I’m sorry — 4-D, 4-E, 4-F and 4-G. And, apparently. the intention of the defendant is to testify about conclusions he reached from portions of these materials.

Before that occurs, we would ask that the court make a review of the total documents for two reasons: First, this particular document is, at least, of everything that I have reviewed that is under seal, far and away the most private and personal document probably that I have ever read by anybody. And the document and what Mr. Hubbard is doing in the document cannot be understood except by review of the total documents. To put it in terms that would be traditional terms, what they really constitute are a form of self-therapy, notes which constitute very early self-research by Mr. Hubbard in which he is addressing things to himself.

We would ask that before there be any testimony concerning this, that the court does have the opportunity to review the file of those materials so that the court can determine, one, the context and the particular personal and private nature of the materials that are being dealt with.

And we are going to ask that under 352 — and we think the court will agree after the court reads it — that any purported conclusions that Mr. Armstrong wishes to testify to from those documents are outweighed both by the privacy interests involved, but also by the fact that they do not

constitute a reasonable reading of the documents taken in context.

We have indicated our general concern about all of these materials; the idea already that we are dealing with an individual’s personal Naval records over years and medical records and everything else. What this particular document, we really do ask that the court make a review of before there be testimony concerning it.

THE COURT: Which document is it?

MR. HARRIS: It is D-4, E-4, F and G-4, Your Honor.

MR. LITT: We don’t know whether the defendant has pulled out sections or has paperclipped the total documents, Your Honor.

MR. HARRIS: There is another part of the entirety of the document which is not in here under which it only makes sense.

MR. FLYNN: Your Honor, if I could just briefly, I will not state what is in the documents. I will tell you this: What is in the documents, at least for everything that is up to 1946, pretty such conclusively proves in L. Ron Hubbard’s handwriting that the claims he made before 1946 are admittedly false.

There is one very significant couple of sentences relating to his claim for a veteran’s pension which he holds to the present time, and the basis for the veteran’s pension and his alleged war wounds which he admits are false.

There is another portion which — we agree with Mr. Litt that this in probably one of the most significant exhibits in the entire case because a Scientologist, if a Scientologist read these documents, someone who has paid money for 20 years, it they read these documents, they would realize where Scientology came from and they would realize the mind that they were dealing with that is the origin of Dianetics, and most Scientologists, I submit, if they read these documents would leave the organization five minutes after they read them.

Now, there are specific notations that relate to Mr. Hubbard’s desire to control all mankind is which he goes on at some length in these documents and his brainwashing techniques which we think are of great significance to the public.

There are other areas that relate to his sexual problems and some of the diseases that he suffers from which we think perhaps could be held under seal for purposes of Mr. Armstrong’s counterclaim because we think in the context of the overall evidence about the claims made by L. Ron Hubbard, they are of great significance.

However, with regard to some of the notations, we have no objection to the court reviewing them. We think the court should in advance; however, there are some notations in these records which we believe, based on 30 years of claims by Mr. Hubbard and on my part, five years of studying the subject and what Scientologists believed about this man are of great significance to these people, particularly with regard to where Mr. Hubbard was coming from psychologically when he developed Dianetics.

So for that reason we feel the court should review them. If the ocurt deems that some parts are highly personal, we would like to be able to excerpt portions that are more appropriately part of a public record and for those portions that the court might deem are highly personal, we have no objection to them being placed under seal in this litigation for purposes of whatever the court eventually decides.

THE COURT: Mr. Harris, you indicated there was something else that went with those?

MR. HARRIS: There is, Your Honor. The problem is there are like four portions of it in handwriting. There is one –

THE COURT: The clerk has already handed me what has been marked 4-D, 4-E and 4-F and 4-G.

MR. HARRIS: That is correct. And I think there is one more portion of it which is not marked on the defendant’s exhibit list.

THE COURT: Maybe Mr. Armstrong knows what you are talking about.

MR. FLYNN: I think I know, Your Honor. I think what we tried to do, we tried to exclude that portion.

You see, we think everything we have got in there should be in the public record. But we tried to exclude that portion that dealt with some of Mr. Hubbard’s more unusual sexual practices. And we — we tried to exclude that from the documents that we are offering.

If the plaintiff and the intervenor wish to make that part of it, we have no objection.

THE COURT: No, I don’t think — he wanted me to read it to understand it.

MR. HARRIS: Yes, Your Honor, and also more importantly, there are a set of problems to be handled which are not included which these appear to be in response to.

THE COURT: All you have to do is identify them for me, Counsel.

MR. HARRIS: That is what I am trying to do.

MR. LITT: The problem is they may not have been brought up because it appears that the defendant did not identify them and therefore did not have them brought up, so perhaps the first question that can be answered by Mr. Flynn is: Is the full set of those materials up here? That is question one.

Question two is: If they are not, is what the court has excerpts that move from place to place, that were pulled out or what?

Without talking about the contents.

MR. FLYNN: There are many documents in Mr. Hubbard’s handwriting. What we made an effort to do, and what’s been brought up and what hasn’t I am not sure because our basic view in culling out these documents for the purposes of this case is as follows: We think that all of the documents under seal and all of the documents Mr. Armstrong collected tell the whole story. However, for the purposes of practicality in this proceeding of introducing limited portions to give the court an indication of what Mr. Hubbard was like throughout his life, we selected out of the documents under seal isolated

portions because otherwise we’d have every document up here because we think they are all relevant. At the end of the case we are going to ask that all the documents certain relief be given to, but with regard to Mr. Litt’s specific question, I really don’t know. What we did is we took specific portions –

MR. LITT: Let me clarify it, as Mr. Armstrong knows, does the court have all of the affirmations?

Mr. Armstrong, do you know what the affirmations are?

MR. ARMSTRONG: Yes.

MR. LITT: Has the full set of the affirmations, including the book been brought up here and the introductory part to it which is about 30 pages?

MR. ARMSTRONG: Let me give you some numbers; okay?

I’ll give you some — it is 4-D, 4-E, 4-F, 4-G, 4-H, 4-I. That is it. 4-I fits in that category. It is not part of that particular set of documents, but –

MR. LITT: Do those things together constitute the totality of the affirmations?

MR. ARMSTRONG: As far as I know, it does.

MR. LITT: Your Honor, could we take a look for a moment just to determine for ourselves?

MR. FLYNN: Your Honor, if it doesn’t we have no objection –

MR. LITT: We just want to know what the court has.

MR. FLYNN: — to the plaintiff bringing up whatever they want to bring up.

Our feeling, Your Honor, is all the records –

THE COURT: I know what your feeling is.

MR. FLYNN: — are relevant.

THE COURT: I have heard it.

Well, We are in recess until 9 o’clock.

MR. HARRIS: Very well.

MR. LITT: If Mr. Armstrong could come here for a moment and tell me what document goes with what, I think we can put then in proper order for the court.

MR. FLYNN: We want them it that order, Mr. Litt, for a very specific reason.

MR. LITT: But the order that they appear in is not the order that they were in in the original binders, so I would like for the court’s review for them to be in the order that they were in in the original binder.

Thank you, Mr. Flynn.

MR. FLYNN: The original binder was created by Mr. Armstrong.

MR. LITT: I am quite aware of this.

THE COURT: Okay, okay, just relax.

MR. LITT: Your Honor, we’ll put them in the order that we feel that they can be best understood and then give them to the court.

I don’t think the court has to stay here for this unless you want to.

THE COURT: No, I don’t really want to stay.

(At 4:15 p.m. an adjournment was taken until Tuesday, May 15, 1984 at 9:00 a.m.)

http://www.gerryarmstrong.org/50k/legal/a1/2497.php

Caroline

Patron Meritorious
Gerry was under direct examination by Mr. Flynn in this excerpt:

Reporters Daily Transcript May 16 said:

Q [MR. FLYNN] Turning now to exhibits 6E through 6Q which we went through quickly yesterday which called for — which recited in Mr. Hubbard’s handwriting that among other things, he should find the unsavory part of a person’s past and the criminal activities of a person’s past and pursue for harassment and items of that nature, when you sent those to me did you correlate the statements of Mr. Hubbard in those documents to statements that he had made in what has been marked exhibits 500 4D through 4G?

MR. LITT: Objection, Your Honor.

THE COURT: Overruled.

THE WITNESS: [Gerry Armstrong] Those 4D through 4G are the documents that we have called at various times the affirmations or the admissions, and there are some parts of those documents which were very significant to me, having to do with –

MR. LITT: Just a moment.

MR. FLYNN: Well, before you get into this, Your Honor, I’m going to do this on a very step-by-step basis, and then I will lay the foundation, and then I will inform the court of just several lines in the documents that correlate to these documents which the witness found extremely significant.

Q Now, did you find several statements by Mr. Hubbard in exhibit 4D through 4G that correlated to statements he had made in the 1960’s pertaining to attacks on enemies and the Fair Game Doctrine?

A Yes.

Q And those statements are in exhibits 4D through 4G; is that correct?

A Yes.

http://www.gerryarmstrong.org/50k/legal/a1/2493.php

Peter Soderqvist

Patron with Honors
Soderqvist1: Here on YouTube Omar Garrison is talking about findings in the Gerry Armstrong Case!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=m5Drk3eVQSg

Soderqvist1: in the below account Hubbard did know that something was wrong with him after the Second World War!

Exhibit 25 - RESPONSIBILITIES OF LEADERS -Section on "seven things about power, "HCO PL 12 February 1967 Bolivars Errors
Not to compare with Bolivar but to show my understanding of this:
I once had a similar one. "I would keep going as long as I could and when I was 'stopped I would then die." This was a solution mild enough to state and really hard to understand until you had an' inkling of what I meant by keeping going. Meteors keep going—very, very fast. And so did I. Then one day ages back, I finally was stopped after countless little stoppings by social contacts an family to prepare me, culminating in a navy more devoted to braid than dead enemies and literally I quit. For a while I couldn't get a clue of what was wrong with me. Life went completely unlivable until I found a new solution. So I know the frailty of these single solutions. Not to compare myself but just to show it happens to us all, not just Bolivars
http://www.scribd.com/doc/80501927/...econd-Declaration-of-Lance-Marcor-27-Sep-2010

Soderqvist1: Here L. Ron Hubbard begging for psychiatric Treatment 1947 he is suicidal!
http://www.xenu.net/archive/ronthenut/beg.htm

Here on Pages Pages 3655 - 3656 Omar Garrison is talking about Hubbard's Affirmations!
http://www.gerryarmstrong.org/50k/legal/a1/2471.php

Soderqvist1: Here on Page 4353 Robert Vaughn admit 4 July that he has read the Affirmations and Hubbard's Gonorrhea which is mentioned in Affirmation 2000
But disagree with lawyer Michel Flynn's Conclusion!
http://www.gerryarmstrong.org/50k/legal/a1/2526.php

Soderqvist1: On item 89 and 103 Robert Vaughn Young declare that he was ordered by David Miscavige to put together a team to work full time in order to
Disprove Gerry Armstrong's one man work, but failed to disprove him in the main, but he found some additional facts in favor of Hubbard!
http://www.gerryarmstrong.org/50grand/legal/decl-rvyoung-1993-10-25.html

Soderqvist1: Here Stacy Brooks is talking about Hubbard's Affirmations and Blood Ritual and what Hubbard wanted to with Sara Northrop
and she is also talking about Hubbard's paranoid Schizophrenia as both Stacy and Robert above was representing the Church in the Gerry Armstrong Case!
http://www.xenu-directory.net/news/library-item.php?iid=5903

Infinite

Troublesome Internet Fringe Dweller
. . . <snip> . . . And thus the evil started just prior KSW (stealing all the great works of the individuals involved in creating the St Hill course). And it begin as the Sea Project. OMG. The CMO, childern of the corn. He really turned the thing up, survival, for himself and his legacy . . . <snip> . . .

Nope. The evil started waaaay back. It started prior to Dianetics but only became partially manifest in public when L Ron Hubbard used fraud to sell the idea. Its still being used today. Perhaps Ole Fatso was onto something when he said that for something to persist it must contain a lie. Slowly, starting with people like Dr Winter and carried on by people like Gerry and now Anonymous, day by day, with gathering momentum, Scientology and L Ron Hubbard are being AS-ISED. Enjoy.

Caroline

Patron Meritorious
In the following segment, Mary Sue Hubbard's attorney questioned Gerry about how, when and under what circumstances Gerry obtained documents from Omar Garrison and provided them to Michael Flynn.

Q: Mr. Litt.
A: Gerry Armstrong.
Wikipedia: The Bonaventure Hotel in Los Angeles.

Reporters' Daily Transcript (May 18 said:

Q All right, now let’s go back to the Bonaventure.

At the meeting at the Bonaventure you brought some materials with you; is that right?

A Yes.

Q You brought materials that came from Omar Garrison; is that correct?

A Yes.

Q You brought a copy of what you call the Affirmations; is that correct?

A Yes.

Q And you brought same Naval records; is that right?

A I believe so, yes.

Q And you brought correspondence between Mr. Hubbard’s first wife, Polly, and Mr. Hubbard?

A I don’t — I don’t know if that rings a bell or not. I don’t recall that material at that time.

Q Well what else do you recall bringing with you to this meeting?

A The binder entitled “Estimate” had to do with collecting of intelligence information regarding Michael Flynn.

There was only about maybe four or five binders at the time, so that would possibly include them all.

Q And you showed these materials to Mr. Flynn at this meeting; is that correct?

A Yes.

Q And you showed them to other people at the meeting; is that correct?

A My recollection is that Kima Douglas at least read some of the material, possibly Mike Douglas. Those are the ones that I remember.

Q And in the course of this meeting you had the discussion about the contents of some of these materials; is that correct?

A Possibly some, not a lot but there may have been a few comments.

Q Do you know anybody else at the meeting who read any of the materials other than what you have said?

A Not for sure. the Dincalcis may have at that time, but I do not recall actually seeing them read any of the materials.

Q Other than the Douglases and the Dincalcis — there were other people who came in and out of the meeting; right?

A Yes. None of those people that I saw read any of the materials.

Q Where were these materials during this meeting? Were they placed somewhere?

A They were with Mr. Flynn where he was sitting, for the most part.

I do recall one or two binders in the hands of Kima Douglas and possibly Mike Douglas; although I am not certain at the time or if he just glanced at it or if he actually read through a whole binder or binders.

But those are the only people who had their hands actually on binders during those meetings that I saw.

Q Well, when you came into the meeting Mr. Flynn, I gather, greeted you at the door, or whatever?

A Okay.

Q And did you give the binders to him at that point?

A Soon after that.

Q So he was in possession of the binders in the course of the meeting and they were then,being passed around to some people who wanted to take a look at them?

A During this part of the meeting, my recollection is that there was only the — I was there; Mike and Kima Douglas were there; Jim and Nancy Dincalci were there and Michael was there during that part, at least. And I don’t think that anyone looked at any binders for some time.

Mostly the meeting was just devoted to each one of us recounting our respective stories regarding experiences with Scientology and Mr. Hubbard. That took up, at least, 90 percent of the meeting.

If during that time someone looked at some of this material, it was very brief.

I don’t believe even Mr. Flynn went through much of the material at that time.

Q All right. Now, you — when you left that evening you left the materials, all of these materials with Mr. Flynn; is that correct?

A That is correct.

Q And did you bring him any more materials the next day?

A No.

Q Now, where had these materials been stored?

A These were materials which I had been copying from Mr. Garrison. They were his binders.

Q So you took — basically, if I understand it right, you had these in your apartment and took them to him?

A Yes.

Q Now, the next — I may have asked you this and missed your answer — did you bring more materials the next day?

A I don’t recall bringing anything else the next did, it isn’t significant.

I took everything back the next day, but I didn’t bring anything that I recall.

Q Was it your understanding, without going into the contents of the conversation, that over the evening Mr. Flynn had read these materials that you had provided him?

A I believe so, but I couldn’t really say for sure

what he had done or — even if I have a recollection as to whether he was knowledgeable about them the following day. He had an opportunity to have at that point. I really can’t tell.

Q And did you have further discussions with Mr. Flynn at that point before –

Was this the last time you saw him on the second day on this trip?

A I don’t follow your question.

Q Okay. We have that you met him one day and then you returned the next day for about an hour and a half; was that the only time — was that the last time that you saw him on that particular occasion?

A Yes.

Q And did you have some discussion with Mr. Flynn concerning providing him copies of materials, without asking you what was said?

A It is possible at that point. The reason I say that is because I already knew — I either had or I knew of the second declare at this point. And because I discussed the significance of that thing at that point.

Q Let me ask you a question; did Mr. Flynn — did you know where he was coming from when he went to this Bonaventure Hotel meeting?

A When you say “coming from” –

Q Well I don’t mean psychologically.

Was he on a trip? Had he been someplace else before he came to Los Angeles?

THE COURT: Most people have.

Q BY MR. LITT: Between Boston and Los Angeles?

A Now I could be wrong about this because Mr. Flynn goes to a lot of places, but it is possible and it isn’t really significant in my mind, but it is possible that he had been in San Francisco.

Q He had been in San Francisco on a case involving an organization called Narconon; right, and he was acting on behalf of some people who were involved in litigation with Narconon?

A That is more than I know.

MR. FLYNN: Who were being sued by the church, incidentally.

Q BY MR. LITT: Now, you say you had some conversation about sending him materials and you then had a conversation — is this when you say you had your conversation with Omar Garrison about copying materials from him?

A No. I don’t know if I had a conversation at that point about sending him materials. If I had, I simply could have given him the materials I had, but I didn’t do that. I didn’t send him materials for some time after that, and I simply can’t tell you whether or not at that point I decided or was asked or anything.

I do know that I had learned from Marilyn Brewer

by this point, and this was a telephone conversation –

MR. LITT: Your Honor, he is not answering.

THE WITNESS: Well I am trying to date it for you.

THE COURT: Well he doesn’t want you to go through this thinking out loud, so let’s go to the next question.

Q BY MR. LITT: You had a conversation with Mr. Garrison in which you arranged with him to send these materials or get materials from him so you could send them?

A There were a number of such conversations.

They would have been at the time of the trip up to Utah and thereafter.

Q So you think on your trip up to Utah, this is the trip at the end of the month or thereabouts?

A Yes.

Q You had a conversation with Mr. Garrison and, in fact, when you got to Utah, you went through some materials and picked out some things that you wanted; is that right?

A My recollection is that he gave me materials at that time.

Q That you asked for?

A Probably that I asked for.

Q And how long were you in Utah?

A Just a day or two.

Q How much time did you spend going through the materials that Mr. Garrison had looking for what you wanted on that occasion?

A Couple of minutes, if that. I think that I — it was not significant how I obtained them at that point. I think he had some binders and I either asked him or he volunteered, but in any case I did bring back some material at that time from Utah.

Q And did you make arrangements with Mr. Garrison that you could have free access to the materials that he had?

A I don’t know if those exact words were discussed at that time, but either then or in subsequent conversations he said that I could have whatever I needed.

Q For your case; right?

A Yes.

Q That is what you told him it was for?

A Again I did not know what form this thing was going to take. He did not know. He said I could use whatever I needed as long as it was kept in the legal arena.

MR. LITT: Move to strike as nonresponsive, Your Honor.

THE COURT: Well, he was explaining his answer; denied.

[...]

Q By the way, let me go back for a moment.

The first document which was a letter from Mr. Hubbard to Mrs. Hubbard of July 11, 1966, do you recall
when you sent that to Mr. Flynn?

A It would have been between June and August, 1982.

Q Is that all you recall?

A Yes. I don’t recall the exact date for any of these materials.

Q You made several different mailings; is that correct?

A Yes.

Q Do you recall at all what materials went with what mailings?

A My best recollection at this time is that the initial materials that I sent to Mr. Flynn contained the — there were Naval records; there were the estimates regarding Mr. Flynn; there may have been the affirmations and then all the other material followed after that.

But at this point I really am not certain what order I sent it in or what documents were included in what group of materials.

Q And this letter of May 6, 1966 is a letter addressed to Mr. Hubbard from an individual named L.R. Thompson, the principal private secretary to the prime minister of Rhodesia?

A Yes.

Q And did you send this document to Mr. Flynn as part of your defense?

A I sent all the documents to Mr. Flynn or Contos & Bunch as part of the defense, yes.

[...]

Q Now, Mr. Armstrong, you had binders, I gather, of a variety of different materials. Did you have complete binders of the letters between Mr. Hubbard and his first wife?

THE COURT: I am not sure I understand what you mean by “complete.” I don’t know how he would know if every letter that was ever written betwen them was in it.

MR. LITT: I will rephrase it.

Q When you were in the archives, you collected up and put together whatever could be located or you could locate that were letters between Mr. Hubbard and his first

wife; correct?

A Yes.

Q And how many binders were those?

A They probably comprised seven binders.

Q Now, at some point after you left the church, you had possession of some of these binders again: is that correct?

A After I left the organization I was given the binders by Mr. Garrison for copying. I don’t recall if I had them all at one time or not.

But in any case, I copied all or almost all of them.

Q For Mr. Garrison?

A Yes.

Q And did you then have there at your house in Costa Mesa, those copies?

A Yes. My recollection is some of them may have gone to a place Mr. Garrison was also storing some materials or stored them at one point or another. And that was at the home of another person by the name of Bill Grago.

But I definitely had almost all of the letters from that period, if not all of them. And I really cannot say if I had them all or not.

Q And many sets of binders of letters from Mr. Hubbard and his first wife did you send to Mr. Flynn?

A I — again, I really cannot say at this point. I — there is a quantity of them. And I sent whatever I had in my home in Costa Mesa at the time. If that isn’t all of them, then whatever else was copied remained with either Mr. Garrison or Mr. Grago.

Q All right. Now, were there letters also between Mr. Hubbard and his second wife that you sent?

A I really — I really don’t know if they were included or not.

There definitely was some materials to do with Sarah Northrup, Sarah Hubbard, which I have seen in the materials under seal. I don’t know if the letters between them is included.

There was another binder which contained those letters. I probably did copy those materials from Mr. Garrison because he was — he considered them important for the biography.

Those copies may have gone to Mr. Grago, but I really, at this point, am not sure.

Q Now, did you ever go — did you ever keep materials at Mr. Grego’s?

A By which? Do you mean my own materials?

Q Well, let me ask the question this way; at some point you went to Mr. Grago’s house; isn’t that right, and picked up some materials?

A Well, I went a number of times.

I shouldn’t say “a number,” but probably three times I went to Mr. Grago’s to do with materials. Once was to drop off materials or, perhaps, twice to drop off materials. At least once I retrieved a bunch of materials for Mr. Garrison. And there was probably another time or one of those times I went down looking for materials amongst the stuff Mr. Grado had and was not able to locate the materials for Mr. Garrison. That is what I recall of my dealings with, you know, the materials in Mr. Grago’s house.

Q When was this?

A It would have been from — the first time I went down there was probably June or July, 1982.

Q So in June or July you went to Mr. Grago’s to get some materials for Mr. Garrison?

A I don’t know which happened first, whether or

not I put materials into Mr. Grago’s — I think that happened sometime later.

Mr. Garrison did call me a number of times through that period. He had by then moved up to Utah.

So he depended on me to go and retrieve the materials and send particular materials that he wanted. And I did do that on at least one occasion and I did look on another occasion. And I did put materials in there from the materials that I had in the apartment in Costa Mesa.

Q Do you remember what it was that was stored with Mr. Grago that you picked up?

A My recollection is it had to do with the Navy. And there was a number of binders, actually, down there which Mr. Garrison had left with Mr. Grago, probably because he couldn’t carry them all at one point. And it was some of those binders. And I really don’t recall which ones they were. But there was a number of binders and I recall Naval papers being involved.

Q And did copies of these go to Mr. Flynn?

A Copies of the materials?

Q Of these materials that you got from Mr. Crago’s house in June or July.

A Maybe some of them, but I seem to recall that those were materials which I sent directly up to Mr. Garrison.

Q Did you copy any of them first?

A I really don’t know. It seems to me that these were materials of not a great deal of interest. They may have even been materials of formerly-published books.

There was a number of binders which I prepared for Mr. Garrison which were of that nature, articles and so on on Mr. Hubbard and Scientology. If they were that, I probably would not have gone to the expense of copying them again, but I really am not sure.

I just do recall going down and picking up certain materials which he wanted and searching on another occasion and not finding what he wanted.

Q Now, going back to sort of what you — these different binders that you had, you said you had binders between Mr. Hubbard and his first wife. You had binders — you are not sure between Mr. Hubbard and his second wife. I take it you had binders concerning letters between Mr. Hubbard and Mary Sue Hubbard.

A What period are you talking about?

Q I am talking again about the period April, May, June; May on.

A Right. There was a number of those materials as well which I copied, had duplicate sets at that time.

Q And if I understand it right, you copied the binders that you had, whatever you had in them in this correspondence and sent that off to Mr. Flynn; is that correct?

A When I — during the majority of the copying, the majority of the copying that I did predated any contract with Mr. Flynn. That was done before the photo incident and I was just doing it at Mr. Garrison’s request because he was concerned about their security and he wanted a duplicate set. So most of the copying was done like that.

Some of the rest of the copying, binders which I obtained from Mr. Garrison specifically, I copied and gave him back the binder or I took the binder and copied the materials, or one or the other.

Q And what did you obtain specifically from him?

A Some of the Naval records, the estimate on Mr. Flynn, I recall some of the Nibs materials. That is all I can recall at this moment although I very much recall stating at another time and having a longer list, and for some reason I am just not hitting on part of the materials which I recall from that list.

Q When you say “obtained from Mr. Garrison,” in addition to what you are describing, did you go through Mr. Garrison’s materials that were at his home in Utah or did you just rely mainly on the materials that you had duplicates of in Costa Mesa?

A To do what?

Q To pick out the materials to send to Mr. Flynn.

A No, there was a specific set of materials which I asked for. I had already, prior to Mr. Garrison going up to Utah, I had a great bulk of copies, many of which are here in the court, and this was the duplicate set.

But there was another set of materials which I obtained from Mr. Garrison and I gave him a list of them at the time of exactly what binders I had and those binders I copied. I remember there were several items on the list, but I don’t recall what they were right now. Perhaps what we call the affirmations or admissions were among them.

Q Among the materials that you asked for?

A Probably. I am just trying to recall that list. The Parsons materials, the Alexis materials –

THE COURT: I think we will take a recess and maybe you can jog your memory during the noon recess. 1:30.

(At 11:58 a.m. the noon recess was taken, to be resumed at 1:30 p.m. of the same day.)

http://www.gerryarmstrong.org/50k/legal/a1/2489.php

Last edited:

Caroline

Patron Meritorious
As mentioned earlier, Judge Breckenridge signed his famous Decision on 20 June, 1984. Gerry and Michael Flynn met with Scientology's attorney on 6 December 1986 to sign Scientology's Mutual Release Of All Claims and Settlement Agreement. Mike Sutter and Jo-Ann Richardson were also present and witnessed the signing.

[video=youtube;yOZJNho024s]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yOZJNho024s[/video]

The settlement agreement contains the following language about the Affirmations:

E. With exception to the items specified in Paragraph 7(L), Plaintiff agrees to return to the Church of Scientology International at the time of the consummation of this Agreement, all materials in his possession, custody or control (or within the possession, custody or control of his attorney, as well as third parties who are in possession of the described documents), of any nature, including originals and all copies or summaries of documents defined in Appendix "A" to this Agreement, including but not limited to any tapes, computer disks, films, photographs, recastings, variations or copies of any such materials which concern or relate to the religion of Scientology, L. Ron Hubbard or any of the organizations, individuals or entities listed in Paragraph 1 above, all evidence of any nature, including evidence obtained from the named defendants through discovery, acquired for the purposes of this lawsuit or any lawsuit, or acquired for any other purpose

-8-

[CT 124]

concerning any Church of Scientology, any financial or administrative materials concerning any Church of Scientology, and any materials relating personally to L. Ron Hubbard, his family, or his estate. In addition to the documents and other items to be returned to the Church of Scientology International listed above and in Appendix "A", Plaintiff agrees to return the following:

(a) All originals and copies of the manuscript for the work "Excalibur" written by L. Ron Hubbard;

(b) All originals and copies of documents commonly known as the "Affirmations" written by L. Ron Hubbard; and

(c) All documents and other items surrendered to the Court by Plaintiff and his attorneys pursuant to Judge Cole's orders of August 24, 1982 and September 4, 1982 and all documents and other items taken by the Plaintiff from either the Church of Scientology or Omar Garrison. This includes all documents and items entered into evidence or marked for identification in Church of Scientology of California v. Gerald Armstrong, Case No. C 420 153. Plaintiff and his attorney will execute a Joint Stipulation or such other documents as are necessary to obtain these documents from the court. In the event any documents or other items are no longer in the custody or control of the Los Angeles Superior Court, Plaintiff and his counsel will assist the Church in recovering these documents as quickly as possible, including but not limited to those tapes and other documents now in the possession of the United States District Court in the case of United States v. Zolin, Case No. CV

-9-

[CT 125]

85-0440-HLH(Tx), presently on appeal in the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals. In the event any of these documents are currently lodged with the Court of Appeal, Plaintiff and his attorneys will cooperate in recovering those documents as soon as the Court of Appeal issues a decision on the pending appeal.

To the extent that Plaintiff does not possess or control documents within categories A-C above, Plaintiff recognizes his continuing duty to return to CSI any and all documents that fall within categories A-C above which do in the future come into his possession or control.

Mutual Release and Settlement Agreement [pdf format]

Gerry says that the documents that keep coming into his possession within categories A to C are voluminous, especially since he found the Internet, and he's badly backlogged on sending CSI everything. He wonders if other people can help.

Caroline

Patron Meritorious
[...]

Here on Pages Pages 3655 - 3656 Omar Garrison is talking about Hubbard's Affirmations!

Thanks, Peter. I'll post Omar Garrison's testimony here too, ftr. In this excerpt, MSH's attorney Barrett S. Litt is cross-examining him.

Reporters' Daily Transcript (May 30 said:
Q BY MR. LITT: You indicated that you had some materials of your own that you also used?

A Yes, they were destroyed following our

settlement.

Q Were those research materials on Mr. Hubbard’s life or were they other types of materials?

A They were all types of materials, but specifically regarding Mr. Hubbard.

Q And without saying what they were, were those documents or were they interview notes?

A They were in part reports that had been submitted to various government agencies.

Q Were many of these materials that you had gathered in the course of other books that you had worked on?

A Part of them were and part of them were fresh that I had done in connection with the biography.

Q And you were looking at those mainly to find the information concerning, shall we say, from the other side’s point of view if I can use that phrase, from the government’s point of view, what it had to say about Mr. Hubbard or Scientology at various times?

A No. I never trusted, quite frankly, government documents or reports. These reports that I referred to in correspondence were from private individuals to government agencies, and they had come into the files of the agency. They were not reports by government agents.

Q Okay. I understand.

Now, you have testified some about Mr. Armstrong’s discussions with you about materials to use and about the amount of materials.

Do you know what a set of materials called

the Affirmations are?

A I do because I was the one that gave it that designation. The word “Affirmation” doesn’t appear on any of it.

Q You considered this particular set of materials called the Affirmations particularly sensitive and private; is that correct?

A I did.

Q Did Mr. Armstrong ever tell you that among the materials he was taking were the affirmations?

A I don’t believe he did.

But he didn’t — he never told me, I have taken this or that other than on the one occasion. He left a list of the particular binders he had taken on that occasion.

Q By the way, your understanding and the permission that you gave Mr. Armstrong was for materials for use in his own case only; is that right?

A Yes.

Q If you can answer this question — you may not be able to — had Mr. Armstrong asked you for permission to use the affirmations, would you have given it to him?

A Again, we come back to “permission” which has come up a number of times.

There was no formal permission given to Mr. Armstrong because I didn’t feel that he needed permission inasmuch as he provided me the documents. He had all the information himself. So it was never a question of Mr. Armstrong coming to me and saying may I use this.

There was at the outset when he first retained counsel the discussion that he was — he was going to or would like to use the documents in his defense.

At that time I cautioned him and I cautioned him repeatedly thereafter that he could take the documents he actually needed.

Now, if that is permission, all right. But that I would prefer he not take anything that was going to be

disseminated to other writers.

Q Let’s suppose for purposes of this question that he did need your permission — whether he did or not, we don’t have to resolve at this time — that he had come to you — if you can answer this question — had he come to you and asked you for permission to take those documents, would you have given them to him?

MR. FLYNN: Objection. Asked and answered, Your Honor.

MR. LITT: It was not answered, Your Honor.

THE COURT: I’ll overrule the objection.

THE WITNESS: I object to it because it is a broad hypothetical question.

It would depend upon what circumstances he gave to me.

THE COURT: If he said he needed them for the defense of his lawsuit.

THE WITNESS: I would then, in light of the very sensitivity of the documents, I would have then reviewed it in that specific context and therefore I can’t say just off the top of my head whether I would have agreed or not.

THE COURT: All right.

Q BY MR. LITT: Now, in giving Mr. Armstrong permission, for instance — strike that.

Let me ask the question differently. Did you understand that part of what Mr. Armstrong would do with these materials would be to show them to former Scientologists?

A Never.

Q For instance, did you understand that by the arrangements you had with Mr. Armstrong, that he would show to Mike and Kima Douglas the affirmations?

A Never.

Q Did you understand that –

A I am not aware that he did, by the way.

Q I understand.

Did you understand that by this arrangement with Mr. Armstrong that he would show the affirmations to Jim and Nancy Dincalci?

A No.

Soderqvist1: Here on Page 4353 Robert Vaughn admit 4 July that he has read the Affirmations and Hubbard's Gonorrhea which is mentioned in Affirmation 2000

Good point, Peter. At the time of the Armstrong trial, Robert Vaughn Young was still in the cult, testifying as a Plaintiff witness, i.e., for Scientology. In the transcript pages you noted, RVY was under cross-examination by Michael Flynn.

Reporters' Daily Transcript (June 4 said:

Q BY MR. FLYNN: Oh, the missing medical records I see, let me ask you this: Did Captain Moulton tell you that Mr. Hubbard was having urinary difficulties in 1942?

A Yes.

Q Told you about that?

A Yes, I think he testified to that in the court.

Q And he told Captain Moulton who apparently told you that it came from the machine gun bullets from a Japanese machine gun?

MR. LITT: Object; asked and answered.

THE COURT: Sustained.

Q BY MR. FLYNN: Did he tell you about Mr. Hubbard’s traveling 75 miles in a life raft with the machine gun bullets in his kidneys?

A I don’t believe he got into the specifics with me as he did with the court.

Q Did he tell you about hiding up in the hills of Soerabaja in the jungle between December 8 and early January 1942?

A He mentioned he was up in the hills, yes.

Q Told you about that?

A Yes.

Q Did you reach <sic> the affirmations on file in Mr. Hubbard’s handwriting where he talked about the problems he had in 1942 with a social disease and his urinary problems?

A Yes, but I don’t think your characterization of it is actually exactly what was said.

Q In Mr. Hubbard’s handwriting. Did you consult the affirmations, Mr. Young, about the machine gun bullets and –

MR. LITT: Objection; this is beyond the scope. Mr. Young has already testified. He hasn’t consulted anything on this subject and it is argumentative.

THE COURT: Well, I’ll sustain the objection.

Soderqvist1: On item 89 and 103 Robert Vaughn Young declare that he was ordered by David Miscavige to put together a team to work full time in order to
Disprove Gerry Armstrong's one man work, but failed to disprove him in the main, but he found some additional facts in favor of Hubbard!

Yes, thanks for this too. By 25 October 1993, RVY was out of the cult. He submitted that declaration for the defense of Dr. Uwe Geertz in the Fishman case.

Declaration of Robert Vaughn Young of 25 October 1993 said:
J. AUTHORIZED HUBBARD BIOGRAPHER AND ARCHIVIST.

89. In 1981, I was asked to go to a non-GO archives to gather information about the writing of a biography on Hubbard. The archives was operated by Gerry Armstrong and contained about 25 filing cabinets full of Hubbard's personal papers and memorabilia. I worked there for several weeks and was the last person to see Armstrong before he disappeared. I thereby inherited the archives by default and continued to read Hubbard's private papers, which gave me not only an entirely different view of the man than what we had been telling Scientologists but a view that no one else knew (at that time) besides Armstrong.

[...]

O. EXPERT WITNESS ABOUT THE CHURCH OF SCIENTOLOGY ON BEHALF OF THE CHURCH OF SCIENTOLOGY DURING THE ARMSTRONG TRIAL.

103. In 1984, after Gerry Armstrong was sued by the Church of Scientology, David Miscavige assigned me to do key research into Hubbard's life to refute Armstrong's claims that Hubbard had lied. With a team of full time people working for nearly two months (compared to Armstrong working by himself), we found additional information to challenge some points Armstrong had made. I was to testify as to what had been found.

RVY wrote another declaration in the Fishman case in which he provided further testimony about Scientology's fair game of Omar Garrison, Michael Flynn and Gerry Armstrong.

Declaration of Robert Vaughn Young of 9 March 1994 said:
[...]

HOW SCIENTOLOGY ATTORNEYS ARE USED TO CLAIM "ATTORNEY WORK PRODUCT"

Surveillance is one of the standard tactics used by Scientology and CSI. It is often done by staff from the Office of Special Affairs ("OSA"). Tougher or more important assignments are given to private investigators who are paid by attorneys so the investigation can be called "attorney work product." This practice was because the 1977 FBI raid shattered Scientology's intelligence network.

The court should note that it has been told that such practices were done by a previous Scientology administration that has been eradicated. This is not true. I am attaching the billings of a private investigator who was doing surveillance on author Omar Garrison and apostate Gerry Armstrong in 1982. (Attached as Exhibit O) These were billed to attorney John Peterson. ("Peterson") However this investigation was being directed by David Miscavige ("Miscavige") who at the time (mid-1982) was my senior in an organization called Author Services, Inc. ("ASI") ASI was a for- profit group that was purportedly a literary agency handling Hubbard's books. We did handle Hubbard's works but our real function was to serve as Hubbard's personal arm into the non-profit Church of Scientology. This investigation by Tin Goose of Omar Garrison and Gerry Armstrong was paid for by Church of Scientology funds on Miscavige's orders while Tin Goose reported directly to Miscavige. Peterson was merely the "cutout," to make it appear that it was attorney work product and to keep it away from ASI.

HOW MISCAVIGE USED A "DOUBLE-BLIND" TO GO AFTER AN ATTORNEY

In 1982 a "double-blind" system was initiated by Miscavige when he was directing the campaign against Boston attorney Michael Flynn. ("Flynn") Flynn had been representing plaintiffs in suit against Scientology and Hubbard, and Miscavige was demanding that Flynn be destroyed. (This is the Fair Game Doctrine although the words were never used, per Hubbard's orders.) Peterson was told to hire another attorney who had no connection or any knowledge of Scientology. That fresh attorney was to hire the private investigators to undertake certain harassing actions on Flynn. Thepurpose of the double-blind was if the investigator was caught and traced to an attorney, it would not be one hired by a Scientology group and any illegalities could be protected twice as attorney work product.

With the formation of the firm of Bowles and Moxon (attorneys for plaintiff in this case), investigations were moved to them rather than attorneys like Peterson because Bowles & Moxon are Scientologists and can be manipulated and threatened. Peterson was not a Scientologist and could not be so controlled.

http://www.gerryarmstrong.org/50grand/legal/decl-rvyoung-1994-03-09.html

Soderqvist1: Here on YouTube Omar Garrison is talking about findings in the Gerry Armstrong Case!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=m5Drk3eVQSg

Soderqvist1: in the below account Hubbard did know that something was wrong with him after the Second World War!

Exhibit 25 - RESPONSIBILITIES OF LEADERS -Section on "seven things about power, "HCO PL 12 February 1967 Bolivars Errors
Not to compare with Bolivar but to show my understanding of this:
I once had a similar one. "I would keep going as long as I could and when I was 'stopped I would then die." This was a solution mild enough to state and really hard to understand until you had an' inkling of what I meant by keeping going. Meteors keep going—very, very fast. And so did I. Then one day ages back, I finally was stopped after countless little stoppings by social contacts an family to prepare me, culminating in a navy more devoted to braid than dead enemies and literally I quit. For a while I couldn't get a clue of what was wrong with me. Life went completely unlivable until I found a new solution. So I know the frailty of these single solutions. Not to compare myself but just to show it happens to us all, not just Bolivars
http://www.scribd.com/doc/80501927/...econd-Declaration-of-Lance-Marcor-27-Sep-2010

Soderqvist1: Here L. Ron Hubbard begging for psychiatric Treatment 1947 he is suicidal!
http://www.xenu.net/archive/ronthenut/beg.htm

Soderqvist1: Here Stacy Brooks is talking about Hubbard's Affirmations and Blood Ritual and what Hubbard wanted to with Sara Northrop
and she is also talking about Hubbard's paranoid Schizophrenia as both Stacy and Robert above was representing the Church in the Gerry Armstrong Case!
http://www.xenu-directory.net/news/library-item.php?iid=5903

we should be grateful his navy, the sea org, is more dedicated to brass and braid than dead enemies

the american navy of the second world war magnificently embodied the fighting spirit of john paul jones especially in the pacific. the japanese imperial navy had a seemingly endless force of combat vessels and in battle after battle american commanders most boldly engaged forces when substantially outnumbered and outgunned nearly always either prevailing or forcing a draw. i recall especially a battle when a single destroyer was stationed in a bay of a south pacfic island and sailed against a japanese task force of our battle groups formed around four battleshps and held them at bay for several hours until finally being sunk

Last edited: