L. Ron Hubbard's teeth

pineapple

Silver Meritorious Patron
I think that the first time I read it was @1953 when Sonny Sherman was arrested for possession of Marijuana, and had killed himself on the HASI steps.
-snip-

Wow, that sounds interesting. Can you tell us more about that?

I'm guessing in 1953 scn didn't really care if you smoked marijuana when you weren't getting audited; they just didn't want you getting busted with it 'cause it was bad PR, correct?

phenomanon

Canyon
Wow, that sounds interesting. Can you tell us more about that?

I'm guessing in 1953 scn didn't really care if you smoked marijuana when you weren't getting audited; they just didn't want you getting busted with it 'cause it was bad PR, correct?

Then, as now, there were different rules for different people. It would cause a much bigger 'flap' blowing your brains out at the HASI, than getting caught smoking pot in the 'green room.

pineapple

Silver Meritorious Patron
-snip -
It would cause a much bigger 'flap' blowing your brains out at the HASI, than getting caught smoking pot in the 'green room.

Yes, I would think so. So this guy Sonny Sherman gets busted for pot and blows his brains out at HASI. Was this because he was overwhelmed with remorse about the bad PR he caused the organization? Thereby causing even worse PR?

Enthetan

Master of Disaster
Anyhow, we saw some photos of Ron l Hubbard and noticed his teeth. We both agreed it is from beetlenut. If you are unfamiliar it is a bad habit that Micronesians have were they take this nut from a specific tree and wrap it in a leaf with caustic lime. It is a stimulant and very addictive. Users look like there mouth is bloody and they spit everywhere. Users teeth eventually fall out but if you quit your teeth will look a little less bloody like mr hubbards teeth.

I doubt his teeth were caused by beetlenut. It's more likely they are from poor personal habits and never seeing a dentist (any Messengers who were around LRH a lot -- did you ever know of him seeing a dentist, even a Scientologist dentist?).

He also was reportedly taking various recreational drugs, and tooth rot is also a symptom of methamphetamine use (do an image search for "meth mouth" -- prepare to be disgusted)

phenomanon

Canyon
Yes, I would think so. So this guy Sonny Sherman gets busted for pot and blows his brains out at HASI. Was this because he was overwhelmed with remorse about the bad PR he caused the organization? Thereby causing even worse PR?

I never talked with Sonny about it. Alls I know is Sonny played Trumpet, he was fron NYC, and he had a wife named Jean.
There was some bad PR around scn in Phoenix anyways. Rumors about drugs and so forth.
It was said by people who knew Sonny that Sonny had gone to the HASI to get help.

Gizmo

Rabble Rouser
Phenomanon, perhaps you can shed some light on a story I heard. At CC - early 70's - some old timer was grousing that it used to be if someone showed up for session hung over that it was just run out & then on with the session.

So, he felt this no alcohol rule however many hours before session was not necessary.

That made sense to me. At the time ( certainly not now ! ) I felt a hang over could be run out by R3R.

Do you ( or any other old timer ) lnow if there really was there a time when the were no rules on alcohol before session ?

I do know by the early 70s pot use was frowned on as my little butt got sent to ethics for it although at that time there was a lot of pot use by our younger crowd.