What's new

L. Ron Hubbard's teeth

DeeAnna

Patron Meritorious
From "Bare-Faced Messiah" based on an interview with Jim Dincali, describing life with L. Ron in Queens, New York in February 1973:

"Soon after the move, Hubbard decided to go out for a walk. Dincalci was concerned that the preparations the Commodore was making to pass unnoticed in the street would almost certainly mark him out for attention. 'His hair had grown very long, almost down to his shoulders and he looked pretty unkempt. He insisted on wearing this big hat with the brim turned up. It made him look like Bozo the clown. If he had walked into any org they would have kicked him out.' After being cosseted by central heating for three months, Hubbard stepped out into a freezing February day, immediately got a chill in his tooth and attracted a retinue of jeering street kids. It discouraged him from venturing out again by himself.
His aching teeth appeared to trigger other complaints and Dincalci was driven to distraction trying to nurse an intractable and irritable elderly patient who was at first reluctant to consult either doctor or dentist. When one of Hubbard's rotten teeth dropped out, Dincalci painstakingly ground all his food. Eventually Hubbard agreed to seek professional medical help. On visits to a chiropractor in Greenwich Village he always wore a wig as a disguise and on one occasion Dincalci and Preston took the be-wigged Commodore to a local Chinese restaurant for his favourite dish, egg foo yong. It was their only social outing. On the recommendation of an allergist, Hubbard began a regular course of injections, administered by Dincalci, which seemed to help him."

http://www.religio.de/books/bfm/bfm19.html

DeeAnna

Patron Meritorious
From RationalWiki page "Dental Woo":

L. Ron Hubbard went them all one better by claiming, in Dianetics, that tooth decay can be caused by "dental engrams" resulting from being spoken to while under anesthesia at the dentist's office. Hubbard believed that "engrams" resulted from any person being spoken to while asleep or unconscious. Somehow, if this happens in a dentist's office, the engrams which result are "dental engrams" that will cause your teeth to rot. Really. We're not making this crap up. Hubbard, of course, had a mouthful of awful rotten teeth.

http://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Dental_woo

Freeminds

Bitter defrocked apostate
From RationalWiki page "Dental Woo":

L. Ron Hubbard went them all one better by claiming, in Dianetics, that tooth decay can be caused by "dental engrams" resulting from being spoken to while under anesthesia at the dentist's office. Hubbard believed that "engrams" resulted from any person being spoken to while asleep or unconscious. Somehow, if this happens in a dentist's office, the engrams which result are "dental engrams" that will cause your teeth to rot. Really. We're not making this crap up. Hubbard, of course, had a mouthful of awful rotten teeth.

http://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Dental_woo

Oh, my. What a stupid old fool LRH was.

Dental engrams. :duh:

uncover

Gold Meritorious Patron
That's helpful! LOL.

So that takes us through the 80's. Does anybody have a more recent update on the condition of Ron's teeth?
forthcoming.... I already relayed your request to Astar Paramejgian at target 2 and I am currently waiting for his response. :coolwink:

That's helpful! LOL.

So that takes us through the 80's. Does anybody have a more recent update on the condition of Ron's teeth?

Yes, Helluva, actually I have an exclusive and recent photo of Ron's teeth ...

Mimsey

ashes.jpg

DeeAnna

Patron Meritorious
From Barbara Schwarz, the nutjob who "loves her "real" Mary" not the imposter Marty Rathbun who hangs out with Mosey. Turns out Barbara believes there was also an "imposter Ron". Apparently, the Ron with the rotten teeth was the imposter.

"C of S is says that the video that they are selling is the ONLY interview of Ron. That means they must know that the creep on the Apollo with the bad teeth and who was married to Mary Sue, the guy with the bad teeth wasn’t Ron but the impostor."

http://barbaraschwarz.wordpress.com...-admitting-that-l-ron-hubbard-was-impostored/

Loohan

Am I Mettaya?
So it was nitrous oxide for L. Ron:

"In 1938, John Campbell, the editor of Astounding Science Fiction magazine, persuaded Ron to try his hand at science fiction. The result was successful and Hubbard's stories in this genre began to appear regularly, alongside his regular adventure stories and westerns.

During this same year, there is a curious story about Hubbard. He apparently began to tell friends that he had written an important book, called Excalibur, which he claimed would have a greater impact on people than the Bible. He seemed quite excited about this book. He told his wife that it would earn him a place in history. Yet, strangely, no one ever saw the book.
Hubbard claimed that the first six people who read the book were so overwhelmed by its contents that they went out of their minds. He claimed that the inspiration for the book came from an out of the body experience he had under nitrous oxide while at the dentist. To prevent any more casualties, he claimed to have the book safely hidden. Although Hubbard would mention this book from time to time, its existence has never been proven."

http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~dst/Library/Shelf/wakefield/us-02.html

Oh, forgodsake. The asshat got high on nitrous and thought he had an out of body experience? Yeah, him and thousands of dental students.

Now, now. We are not supposed to speculate how it was that Ron came to rise above the bank.

smartone

My Own Boss
I have been wanting to see a thread about this subject for some time now.

Why? Two dentists in my family. So as you can imagine, dental health (or lack thereof) is a subject that is discussed regularly within my family I actually got one of my dentist relatives to look at that god-awful tape where the British guy is interviewing L. Ron Hubbard on the boat. Hubbard is smiling a lot in the video. And the videographer just loves zooming in on L. Ron's mouth. Dear God!

My dentist relative's reaction to the video: "Oy! Had to have been very painful at times; probably no longer very painful at the time of this video. They stink and the danger is infection that goes systemic. If the patient doesn't get a massive infection, eventually the teeth just fall out of the mouth." (Because the roots eventually die and resorb.)

I've read several references to L. Ron's horrible bad breath. Which would be from the rotted teeth, no doubt.

I also think I read a reference along the way that L.Ron did visit a dentist at some point, who administered nitrous oxide (laughing gas). But I can no longer find that reference.

Anyone who can add info to "L. Ron's teeth"?

Yes, it's disgusting and so out-PR. There's a Health editor on the BBC newscast here in the UK who has the same black stained bottom teeth. I think it's disgusting especially as he's on tv as well. I wrote an email to the BBC complaining about the state of his teeth.

DeeAnna

Patron Meritorious
From Wikipedia article on "Scientology: The History of Man", first published in 1952 under the title "What to Audit":

The Clam, one of a number of incidents between The Helper and The Weeper. The others include seaweed and "jellyfish incidents [which] are quite remarkable for their occasional aberrative force". Encounters between jellyfish and cave walls are held to be responsible for the emergence of "a shell as in the clam." The Clam itself is "a deadly incident" involving a "scalloped-lip, white- shelled creature" which suffered from a severe split personality or "double-hinge problem. One hinge wishes to stay open, the other tries to close, thus conflict occurs." According to Hubbard, the hinges of the Clam "later become the hinges of the human jaw" and the Clam's method of reproducing using spores is said to be responsible for toothache. In one of the most famous passages of the book, Hubbard advised that
Should you desire to confirm this, describe to some uninitiated person the death of a clam without saying what you are describing. "Can you imagine a clam sitting on the beach, opening and closing its shell very rapidly?" (Make a motion with your thumb and forefinger of a rapid opening and closing). The victim may grip his jaws with his hand and feel quite upset. He may even have to have a few teeth pulled: At the very least he will argue as to whether or not the shell stays open at the end or closed. And he will, with no hint of the death aspect of it, talk about the "poor clam" and he will feel quite sad emotionally.​
He goes on to warn the reader that "your discussion of these incidents with the uninitiated in Scientology can cause havoc. Should you describe the "clam" to someone, you may restimulate it in him to the extent of causing severe jaw pain. One such victim, after hearing about a clam death, could not use his jaws for three days."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scientology:_A_History_of_Man

It sounds as if L. Ron had a bit of a fixation on dental issues as early as 1952.

DeeAnna

Patron Meritorious
An Article by L. Ron Hubbard, from the 5th London ACC: Unlocking Past Life Memory - 1958:

"A body doesn't hurt, not ever. A body can tangle up communication lines, but who hurts? The living being that inhabits the body hurts. And that's the only person that hurts.A fellow comes along and says, “I have a toothache.” Well, they're quite amazed once in a while, when you exteriorize them, kick them a few feet back of their heads—an old Scientology practice that is not now employed but happens all the time. First thing he cognites on is the toothache he had in his head he now has three feet back of his head. And that's a very funny place to have a toothache! It's a question of who hurts? Well, he does. Teeth can't hurt. . . ."

http://www.lrh-books.com/acc/unlocking-past-life-memory

Udarnik

Gold Meritorious Patron
An Article by L. Ron Hubbard, from the 5th London ACC: Unlocking Past Life Memory - 1958:

"A body doesn't hurt, not ever. A body can tangle up communication lines, but who hurts? The living being that inhabits the body hurts. And that's the only person that hurts.A fellow comes along and says, “I have a toothache.” Well, they're quite amazed once in a while, when you exteriorize them, kick them a few feet back of their heads—an old Scientology practice that is not now employed but happens all the time. First thing he cognites on is the toothache he had in his head he now has three feet back of his head. And that's a very funny place to have a toothache! It's a question of who hurts? Well, he does. Teeth can't hurt. . . ."

http://www.lrh-books.com/acc/unlocking-past-life-memory

There is but one conclusion to make from a passage like that.

LRH was a first class fuckwit.

DeeAnna

Patron Meritorious
From "Druidism and Psychiatry" by L. Ron Hubbard - 1969:

"But recently my attention was recalled to the work of Jung, one of the three major psychiatric authorities, who are Freud, Jung and Adler.
As you can find in Jung’s work, he laid tremendous stress on DRUIDISM and wrote a great deal about it.
Druidism was a Celtic inner circle of priests and lawgivers who seem to have practiced human sacrifice. Their cruel and inhuman rites led to their direct suppression by Rome.
In modern times the Druidism has revived and they are said to meet annually at Stonehenge, possibly their ancient stronghold in England.
This is the first clue I have ever had as to why psychiatrists think they have to kill and injure people. Many psychiatrists have told me, when I interviewed them, or when they tried to get me to take themselves or their wives for treatment that electric shock retards a mental patient’s recovery by about six weeks on the average, that when it does not kill them it usually breaks their teeth and often their spines. Over 1200 were killed outright by electric machines in the US in one year. As to “operations” on the brain they die either at once or within 2 to 5 years according to psychiatric official tables."

http://freedom.lronhubbard.org/page060.htm

AnonKat

Crusader
Made up crap he said around the appearance of the CCHR with kernels of truth

From "Druidism and Psychiatry" by L. Ron Hubbard - 1969:

"But recently my attention was recalled to the work of Jung, one of the three major psychiatric authorities, who are Freud, Jung and Adler.
As you can find in Jung’s work, he laid tremendous stress on DRUIDISM and wrote a great deal about it.
Druidism was a Celtic inner circle of priests and lawgivers who seem to have practiced human sacrifice. Their cruel and inhuman rites led to their direct suppression by Rome.
In modern times the Druidism has revived and they are said to meet annually at Stonehenge, possibly their ancient stronghold in England.
This is the first clue I have ever had as to why psychiatrists think they have to kill and injure people. Many psychiatrists have told me, when I interviewed them, or when they tried to get me to take themselves or their wives for treatment that electric shock retards a mental patient’s recovery by about six weeks on the average, that when it does not kill them it usually breaks their teeth and often their spines. Over 1200 were killed outright by electric machines in the US in one year. As to “operations” on the brain they die either at once or within 2 to 5 years according to psychiatric official tables."

http://freedom.lronhubbard.org/page060.htm

oneonewasaracecar

Gold Meritorious Patron
I heard he was an Opium addict. This can stain your teeth black...

I've heard that speculation as well. When he broke his arm and refused to have it set, he spent months in a lot of pain. He received painkillers during that time. If he was taking opiates for months, it is certainly plausible for him to have developed and addiction.

One of the theories regarding his death is that when he had a stroke, he was given Vistaril to calm him down for a few days while the opiates left his system. That way when he died, there would be no opiates in his body if hey did a tox screen.

On the issue of his teeth, in that video footage of him I notice his lips seem to stick to his gums and teeth while he talks and smiles. I must say, I have never seen this in any person I have ever met, so I imagine it is not a good sign. Not being a dentist, I don't know what this means.

DeeAnna

Patron Meritorious
racecar: I noticed that too. I think it is from having a dry mouth, which comes from nervousness. And in my opinion he does evidence nervousness throughout the interview. Like when he flashes that forced, reptilian-like smile.

Off topic, but found while looking around for teeth articles:

http://motherboard.vice.com/blog/hu...-nasa-s-jpl-divined-cosmic-rockets-with-l-ron

This article is about Jack Parsons, the rocket scientist dude whom Hubbard hooked up with for the study of Black Magic. Includes photos with one of his house after the explosion in which he blew himself up at age 37.

Udarnik

Gold Meritorious Patron
racecar: I noticed that too. I think it is from having a dry mouth, which comes from nervousness. And in my opinion he does evidence nervousness throughout the interview. Like when he flashes that forced, reptilian-like smile.

http://motherboard.vice.com/blog/hu...-nasa-s-jpl-divined-cosmic-rockets-with-l-ron

This article is about Jack Parsons, the rocket scientist dude whom Hubbard hooked up with for the study of Black Magic. Includes photos with one of his house after the explosion in which he blew himself up at age 37.

Could be nervousness, could be speed. That dries the mouth out, too. The odd behavior may be an attempt to appear normal on camera while tripping.

oneonewasaracecar

Gold Meritorious Patron

Yeah that makes sense. He was shy of the camera.