What's new

LA TIMES OpEd by Alex Gibney re: Scientology 11Apr2015

JBWriter

Happy Sapien
Re: LA TIMES OpEd by Alex Gibney re: Scientology

Radio interview with US Sen. Dick Durbin, (D-Illinois) article here: http://wtax.com/news/101101-durbin-suggests-congress-stay-out-of-scientology-debate/

"Durbin Suggests Congress Stay out of Scientology Debate"

Excerpts (my bold):

The Church of Scientology’s tax-exempt status as a religion is not for Congress to question, according to U.S. Sen. Dick Durbin (D-Ill.).

While Durbin has in the past urged the Internal Revenue Service to look into the tax-exempt status of certain organizations, he’s not doing so with the Church of Scientology, a religion gaining new attention after being profiled in the HBO documentary “Going Clear: Scientology and the Prison of Belief.”

Durbin can’t recall an instance where Congress has “defined a church or a religion,” and says it’s up to the IRS to decide a group’s tax status.

“I think that’s appropriate,” Durbin said. “I’m afraid if we got into the business of defining religion by a vote in Congress we’d be overstepping our authority.”

“I have concerns about some of the things I read, but I don’t have any evidence to back it up, other than what I’ve read,” Durbin said. “I’m sure they’re going to be subject to the same standards and laws as every other religion, and they should be.”

JB

Veda

Sponsor

Radio interview with US Sen. Dick Durbin, (D-Illinois) article here: http://wtax.com/news/101101-durbin-suggests-congress-stay-out-of-scientology-debate/

"Durbin Suggests Congress Stay out of Scientology Debate"

Excerpts (my bold):

JB

Perhaps Senator Durbin should watch this short video about the IRS deal with Scientology:

[video=youtube;ewQ8bgMMqnQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=ewQ8bgMMqnQ[/video]

__________​

From Senator Nick Xenophon:

What we are seeing is a worldwide pattern of abuse and criminality... On the body of evidence, this is not happening by accident; it is happening by design. Scientology is not a religious organisation. It is a criminal organisation that hides behind its so-called religious beliefs.

JBWriter

Happy Sapien

Perhaps Senator Durbin should watch this short video about the IRS deal with Scientology:

From Senator Nick Xenophon:

What we are seeing is a worldwide pattern of abuse and criminality... On the body of evidence, this is not happening by accident; it is happening by design. Scientology is not a religious organisation. It is a criminal organisation that hides behind its so-called religious beliefs.

Yes, I'd like him to watch videos and do further research, too.

What I'd really like to see Sen Durbin do at this stage, however, is to draft a simple letter to the IRS requesting that the IRS initiate a full review of scientology's tax-exemption...and have that letter signed by a bi-partisan group of US senators and representatives.

A simple letter, such as I suggest, has minimal political risk for himself or any co-signers and would give them all something to 'brag' about to their individual constituencies.

Aside from Sen. Durbin, has any other US lawmaker spoken publicly about Going Clear and/or the scientology tax exempt status?
(Sen Wyden from Oregon was reported to have sent some type of communication to the IRS, but that communication hasn't, IIRC, been made public.)

JB

DeeAnna

Patron Meritorious
Of course Sen. Durbin is correct is stating that Congress does not now and has never determined whether or not an organization is a religion. However, Congress has been known to initiate investigations into issues of interest to citizens. And to make recommendations.

So it isn't like Congress has to just sit on its hands when something nasty is occurring in our society.

Sassy

Patron Meritorious
http://touch.latimes.com/#section/-1/article/p2p-83268392/

This should have it's own thread.

Fantastic article.

Gibney is just fantastic. As good in print as on film.

:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Very well-written article. It's very noticeable to me that his voice is calm, without anger, and he's not attacking anyone. Seems like his facts would be hard to dispute. Those poor people, left behind, trying to remain positive while not being able to talk to each other, not knowing who to trust. :bigcry: