What's new

Laura DeCrescenzo forced-abortion lawsuit updates

CommunicatorIC

@IndieScieNews on Twitter
Tony Ortega:

Scientology Ordered to Turn Over Confidential Files in Forced-Abortion Lawsuit

http://tonyortega.org/2013/03/20/sc...onfidential-files-in-forced-abortion-lawsuit/

Excerpt:
Laura DeCrescenzo let us know there’s been an interesting break in her years-long lawsuit against the Church of Scientology. She’s suing because during the time she was a worker in the Sea Org — which prohibits its members from having children — she says she was forced to have an abortion, a claim that numerous other former Sea Org workers have also made. (See our previous story about her complex lawsuit.) The church has argued back that DeCrescenzo took too long to bring her lawsuit after she left the Sea Org, and it has also fought every request to turn over her confidential “pc folders,” which contain detailed information about her time in the church.

But now Los Angeles Superior Court Judge Ronald M. Sohigian has put the case on hold until Scientology finally forks over those files, and he’s given the church a deadline of May 6. It’s potentially a huge new development in a case that has dragged on for years.
Scientology Lawsuits -- Laura DeCrescenzo Collection
http://www.scribd.com/collections/3108078/Scientology-Lawsuits-Laura-DeCrescenzo

Scott "tikk" Pilutik on Laura DeCrescenzo's Motion to Compel Scientology & The Priest-Penitent Privilege

http://realitybasedcommunity.net/ar...scientology-the-priest-penitent-privilege.php

WWP thread: https://whyweprotest.net/community/threads/laura-decrescenzo-forced-abortion-lawsuit-updates.109839/

Something that needs to be addressed is the "look in system" which clearly violates the preist - penitent statute: "...in the presense of no third person so far as the penitiant is aware..." - the cameras are concealed as are the mikes. Further, I would think the church is going to argue that she was aware that others looked at the folders, and so this clause is not violated. But her point, her seniors lookd at the pc folders, when they had no auditor training whatsoever - is a violation of the privilge.

Mimsey

Free to shine

Shiny & Free
This article (linked above) is a must read. Tony has outlined many major points and included the documents! I haven't read them yet, I think that may be better tomorrow with some strong coffee and tissues. Laura's story makes my heart break, makes me just rage against this monstrosity called scientology. It is a callous, evil system, I experienced enough of it myself yet only a fraction of Laura's experience, Bea's experience and so many others.

Thankyou Tony and all who are working so hard to have the truth be shown, at last.

-----------
ps maybe the mods could combine this thread with the other as I think many people will be commenting on this topic and it will get confusing.

pps. This 4 post thread has had 1187 views already??

Bea Kiddo

Crusader
Anybody interested in the look-in system? I can explain it.... (Referring to the hidden cameras in auditing rooms and the recording of sessions). Don't want to divert thread... but maybe its related? Or maybe its been covered, so do not want to bore...

I have seen a bit of it when I was at Flag, and the solo nots cramming officer and I were going over my solo sessions - during the playback, I could see the video of the session, and the special meter on her desk replayed the needle reactions faithfully. They are part of the computer file of my session. Can you imagine how many files they have at flag?

One of each and every session done in the HGC by an auditor and it's exam report, each time you got a pc exam after a solo session, and when you are on base, solo auditing in one of their rooms and are connected to the system (this is usually done when you are trying to comp the level and are auditing daily in the solo nots HGC).

It's pretty nifty to be able to replay your session, to see the playback of your needle, and at the time, I was amazed they didn't have the system in the course room - it would have been a wonderful meter and training device.

PS. I wonder if they have a similar system in the MAA's office recording your interviews with your MAA?

Mimsey

Arthur Dent

Silver Meritorious Patron
Anybody interested in the look-in system? I can explain it.... (Referring to the hidden cameras in auditing rooms and the recording of sessions). Don't want to divert thread... but maybe its related? Or maybe its been covered, so do not want to bore...

Thanks Bea. I'm interested in the behind the scenes aspect of the use of filming. Who sees it? How long is the digital record kept? Are they quickly disposed of once not needed for cramming? Have their been pc reactions to it? DM's relation to these videos? (creepy little man) Do they record voice as well? Or just meter action? Invasion of privacy issues. That should cover it! Thanks!

Arthur Dent

Silver Meritorious Patron
This is different than the old videoing for a pass on your internship or a tech inspection I think ---- unless the same equipment is now being used for that....?

And I am very happy Laura is speaking out and suing about her forced abortion. It would be great if no one under 18, preferably 21 was permitted to sign on to the sea org, with or without parental consent. I have one child I never, ever took near an upper org. Prime meat for them. I saw so many parents get in ethics trouble for being in the way of their minor children being recruited into sea org. And if you rebel, your're toast. This is truly criminal, Stazi-type manipulation and silencing.

Bea Kiddo

Crusader
Thanks Bea. I'm interested in the behind the scenes aspect of the use of filming. Who sees it? How long is the digital record kept? Are they quickly disposed of once not needed for cramming? Have their been pc reactions to it? DM's relation to these videos? (creepy little man) Do they record voice as well? Or just meter action? Invasion of privacy issues. That should cover it! Thanks!

I am only familiar with CCI, ASHO and Flag set-ups. I think after what I am writing here, they upgraded the systems.

At Flag and CCI and ASHO all of the rooms are set up with 2 cameras. One is directly on the meter and the other is on the pc and auditor. Like a side view. At Flag, ASHO and CCI, it was set up that you would go to another room and the sessions could be watched and/or recorded for later viewing. At CCI sessions were commonly recorded, especially on high profile pcs (hmmm.... how to define high profile... it's not what you may think. It could be either a Celeb, up and coming, or a touchy situation, celeb or not). It is common for the Case Supervisor to request the session(s) to be videoed. The video's would be turned in with the session and the C/S could watch it.

It also happens that the Case Supervisor, and sometimes other people, to watch the sessions as they are going. The C/S office has a look-in system and they can watch any session as it is going. This is the case at Flag, ASHO and at CCI.

The sessions were recorded on VHS tapes and turned in with the folder, if the Case Supervisor had requested videos of the sessions.

In most cases the pc did not know that they are being recorded (come to think of it, isn't that illegal in California?).

It was pretty rare to keep session videos. Normally they would get recorded over, unless it was super-high priority/high profile and it was thought they may be needed, they would be kept for a while.

The cameras themselves were very small. Now-a-days they are quite common. I think I have one for back up on my car... looks about the same size as the ones used in the church.

----

Other notes: I was given a pretty intense ethics interview when I was at Flag, when I got busted for out-2D (kissed another married man when I was also married... I think I wrote about it in my story). I was in a very long ethics interview and they were trying to get me to admit my out ethics and I would not. Debbie Cook came in several times... man she was vicious... in your face... intense... But I was used to that so it really didn't bother me much that they were angry. I kept insisting on talking to my husband, who had recently arrived at Flag. They finally did get him. He later told me that Debbie Cook got right up in his face and said "KEEP YOUR FUCKING TR'S IN!!!" before he came in to see me. I wanted to tell him directly and work things out between him and me. Of course it was all on camera and tons of people were watching. I did not care. I had my reasons for doing what I did and my husband of the time understood. Only if you had been in the Sea Org would this make sense: My husband and I were about to be transferred to Australia and posted there. That would have meant he would never see his family again. I had to prevent that. Me getting RPFed got me out of going to Australia. My husband of the time understood it, though he was upset about the infidelity, which I truly was sorry about.

------------

I know that later on, Flag upgraded to a computerized system that kept every session on file for 6 months. You could go back and see any session anywhere back 6 months. I am sure this got brought to the other bases as well after I was gone.

Mick Wenlock

Admin Emeritus (retired)
I am only familiar with CCI, ASHO and Flag set-ups. I think after what I am writing here, they upgraded the systems.

At Flag and CCI and ASHO all of the rooms are set up with 2 cameras. One is directly on the meter and the other is on the pc and auditor. Like a side view. At Flag, ASHO and CCI, it was set up that you would go to another room and the sessions could be watched and/or recorded for later viewing. At CCI sessions were commonly recorded, especially on high profile pcs (hmmm.... how to define high profile... it's not what you may think. It could be either a Celeb, up and coming, or a touchy situation, celeb or not). It is common for the Case Supervisor to request the session(s) to be videoed. The video's would be turned in with the session and the C/S could watch it.

It also happens that the Case Supervisor, and sometimes other people, to watch the sessions as they are going. The C/S office has a look-in system and they can watch any session as it is going. This is the case at Flag, ASHO and at CCI.

The sessions were recorded on VHS tapes and turned in with the folder, if the Case Supervisor had requested videos of the sessions.

In most cases the pc did not know that they are being recorded (come to think of it, isn't that illegal in California?).

It was pretty rare to keep session videos. Normally they would get recorded over, unless it was super-high priority/high profile and it was thought they may be needed, they would be kept for a while.

The cameras themselves were very small. Now-a-days they are quite common. I think I have one for back up on my car... looks about the same size as the ones used in the church.

----

Other notes: I was given a pretty intense ethics interview when I was at Flag, when I got busted for out-2D (kissed another married man when I was also married... I think I wrote about it in my story). I was in a very long ethics interview and they were trying to get me to admit my out ethics and I would not. Debbie Cook came in several times... man she was vicious... in your face... intense... But I was used to that so it really didn't bother me much that they were angry. I kept insisting on talking to my husband, who had recently arrived at Flag. They finally did get him. He later told me that Debbie Cook got right up in his face and said "KEEP YOUR FUCKING TR'S IN!!!" before he came in to see me. I wanted to tell him directly and work things out between him and me. Of course it was all on camera and tons of people were watching. I did not care. I had my reasons for doing what I did and my husband of the time understood. Only if you had been in the Sea Org would this make sense: My husband and I were about to be transferred to Australia and posted there. That would have meant he would never see his family again. I had to prevent that. Me getting RPFed got me out of going to Australia. My husband of the time understood it, though he was upset about the infidelity, which I truly was sorry about.

------------

I know that later on, Flag upgraded to a computerized system that kept every session on file for 6 months. You could go back and see any session anywhere back 6 months. I am sure this got brought to the other bases as well after I was gone.

Interesting Bea - recording someone without their specific consent is illegal in a lot of places.

AnonKat

Crusader
Laura Decrescenzo - Ex-Scientologists Speak Out

Laura Decrescenzo (pt.1) - Ex-Scientologists Speak Out [5 of 14]

[video=youtube;jwD0bHPYbq8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jwD0bHPYbq8[/video]

Laura Decrescenzo (pt.2) - Ex-Scientologists Speak Out

[video=youtube;LZ3jdX52PZQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LZ3jdX52PZQ[/video]

aegerprimo

Summa Cum Laude
This is different than the old videoing for a pass on your internship or a tech inspection I think ---- unless the same equipment is now being used for that....?

And I am very happy Laura is speaking out and suing about her forced abortion. It would be great if no one under 18, preferably 21 was permitted to sign on to the sea org, with or without parental consent. I have one child I never, ever took near an upper org. Prime meat for them. I saw so many parents get in ethics trouble for being in the way of their minor children being recruited into sea org. And if you rebel, your're toast. This is truly criminal, Stazi-type manipulation and silencing.
It would be best if the Sea Org did not exist at all. ALL members at every level are abused. The forced abortions are just one of the ongoing evils of the hellish life in the Sea Org. :storm:

TG1

Angelic Poster
Sorry TG1 but you are wrong!!! It's not HORRIFIC.

It's NORMAL!!!! (At least in the Sea Org)

Not tryin' to pick on you, just making a point....

I know you're not pickin' on me, Bea. :hug: And I know this is normal in the SO. At least I know it intellectually.

But I also think a judge and a jury would respond to this information and testimony the same way I do. They won't think it's normal either.

It's so not normal to separate 12, 13, 14, 15, 16 year old children from their parents and make them work and live like this.

It may not be a chain locker, but it is HORRIFIC to treat a child like this for years on end.

I'm so sorry any children were treated like this. It's criminal. It's a violation of their human rights.

TG1