What's new

Lawrence wright says Cruise more imortant than Dave

freethinker

Sponsor
http://www.eonline.com/news/381295/...clear-author?cmpid=rd-xfinity-comcast-eonline

Lawrence Wright is probably right-on when he says that people are still making a big fuss over Scientology these days because of Tom Cruise.
"There's nobody more important in Scientology since L. Ron Hubbard. He's the front of Scientology," Wright says of Cruise in an interview with E! News at New York's Whiskey Park to discuss his latest book, Going Clear: Scientology, Hollywood and the Prison of Belief.
And, according to the Pulitzer Prize-winning author, who also penned a conversation-starting New Yorker article about filmmaker (and ex-Scientologist) Paul Haggis' experience with the organization, the Hubbard-founded church is perfectly content with letting Cruise be its most prominent champion.

Dave, you are not even considered next to Tom.

Rene Descartes

Gold Meritorious Patron
Tom Cruise out for coffee with his newest prospect.

This overheard...

Tom: (holds hand at chin level) You see in the church Dave is here

Date: I see

Tom: (holds hand at nose level) And Ron, well Ron is here.

Date: Not bad

Tom: (holds hand at eye level) Now I used to be lower but right now I an up here above Dave and Ron.

Date: Sounds sexy. So wehre am I?

Tom: (reaches down and holds hand 6 inches from the floor) Best to be honest about things. You are down here.

Date: Excuse me, do you like cream with your coffee?

Tom: Why yes I do.

Date: Sugar?

Tom: Of course.

Date stands up and walks away. Return with a large coffee mug and a metal container of cream.

Date: Well here's your coffee.

Date empties coffee mug on Tom's head.

Date: And here's the cream you requested.

Date pours out cream onto Tom's head.

Date: One lump or two? Well you seem like atwo lump kind of guy.

Date slams coffe mug over Tom's left eye and slams cream container over right eye.

Date: Oh dear, I guess that about puts me at ground level now. Have a nice life buddy.

Rd00

Freeminds

Bitter defrocked apostate
A little while ago, I watched 'Knight and Day', which back in 2010 was a vehicle for Tom Cruise to reprise his 'secret agent' character.

The film itself was okay in a formulaic sort of way, but by the time the end credits rolled I felt that perhaps I understood Tom Cruise better.

What does the Scientology cult do for Tom Cruise? It treats him as if he was special.

Real life would suck for Tom Cruise. In the real world he can't land a doomed airliner, gun down twenty guys that've come to kill him, wheelie a motorcycle to deflect bullets... heck, in the real world he can't even make a marriage work. The Hollywood scene is hard on any actor or actress, and people are judged harshly simply because they age (just like everyone else) and occasionally put out a disappointing film, etc.

How much nicer to avoid real life altogether and choose to inhabit the world of the Scientology science fiction roleplaying game, where people will readily believe that you have superhuman powers, simply because you've undergone a lot of auditing. Where people can always be guaranteed to treat you like royalty. Where you can do no wrong, and any unwise behaviour will no only go unreported; it will be actively airbrushed from history, and your worshippers' minds.

In Scientology, Tom Cruise has found a playground where he can remain 'in character', and be respected for his inability to face reality. It's really no surprise that he hasn't left the cult, in spite of what it's cost him... and while he's able to keep on smiling, he's a far more presentable public face for the cult than the malignant gnome called David Miscavige.

I don't think Tom Cruise will stay in the cult indefinitely, though. The degree of unreality that his current special circumstances demand creates irresistible tidal forces that drag at his own sanity. Sooner or later, there will be a price to pay, I think.

TG1

Angelic Poster
Lawrence Wright may be a Pulitzer Prize-winning journalist.

But he's also an A-number-one shit-stirrer. :coolwink:

:spitcoffee:

Lermanet_com

Gold Meritorious Patron
I don't think Tom Cruise will stay in the cult indefinitely, though. The degree of unreality that his current special circumstances demand creates irresistible tidal forces that drag at his own sanity. Sooner or later, there will be a price to pay, I think.

I liked that, good one.

arnie