Lawrence Wright's "Going Clear" on New York Times Bestseller List!

Type4_PTS

Diamond Invictus SP
Here's something from the NY Times published earlier today, Oct 12th. Alex Gibney, an Academy Award Winning Documentary Film Maker is reading Lawrence Wright's Going Clear! :)
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/10/13/opinion/sunday/alex-gibney.html?_r=0

Lawrence Wright and Alex Gibney have already worked together on a previous project so hopefully on this one as well! :)
http://www.lawrencewright.com/movies/#my-trip-to-al-qaeda

Gibney_zpsc15e3b60.jpg

JBWriter

Happy Sapien
Re: Lawrence Wright's "Going Clear" - National Book Award 2013 - Next Round Update

Just a li'l reminder...:)

Lawrence Wright's book, Going Clear, was selected as one of the 10 best non-fiction books of 2013 last month by the members of the National Book Foundation.

Five finalists for the National Book Award in each of the 4 categories* will be announced in 2 days -- October 16, 2013.

Once selected, the 5 finalists from each of the 4 categories will attend a ceremony/dinner on November 20, 2013 at which time the winners will be announced.

Link to NBF site: http://www.nationalbook.org/nba2013.html#.UlxTsBDwrHg

JB

(*The categories are: poetry, fiction, young people's literature, and non-fiction.)

Last edited:
Re: Lawrence Wright's "Going Clear" - National Book Award 2013 - Next Round Update

Just a li'l reminder...:)

Lawrence Wright's book, Going Clear, was selected as one of the 10 best non-fiction books of 2013 last month by the members of the National Book Foundation.

Five finalists for the National Book Award in each of the 4 categories* will be announced in 2 days -- October 16, 2013.

Once selected, the 5 finalists from each of the 4 categories will attend a ceremony/dinner on November 20, 2013 at which time the winners will be announced.

Link to NBF site: http://www.nationalbook.org/nba2013.html#.UlxTsBDwrHg

JB

(*The categories are: poetry, fiction, young people's literature, and non-fiction.)
I was gong to ask who many L. Ron Hubbard's books made the National Book Foundation's Top 10 nonfiction books list, but then I remembered L. Ron Hubbard never wrote a nonfiction book.

Back when I was on lines, I had wins. Or made up wins? I don't know which but I remember times when I felt like Scientology had helped me on some matter or subject.

Well, after one reads " Going Clear ", that's it. Those wins don't matter to me because they were accepted on false truths. I can't go back and read Scientology anymore because I can't help but think about Crowley.

I don't know how Independents do it, but they do. Knowing the true source of where this religion came from, they plod ahead providing independent Scientology. That makes no sense to me. It actually makes more sense to me that cool-aid drinkers would follow the religion more than independents.

aegerprimo

Summa Cum Laude
Back when I was on lines, I had wins. Or made up wins? I don't know which but I remember times when I felt like Scientology had helped me on some matter or subject.

Well, after one reads " Going Clear ", that's it. Those wins don't matter to me because they were accepted on false truths. I can't go back and read Scientology anymore because I can't help but think about Crowley.

I don't know how Independents do it, but they do. Knowing the true source of where this religion came from, they plod ahead providing independent Scientology. That makes no sense to me. It actually makes more sense to me that cool-aid drinkers would follow the religion more than independents.
:goodposting: Spot on!

Sassy

Patron Meritorious
I went to the library today in my lil old hometown and they had a display right up front with a sign "books of the year". I immediately recognized most of the titles, and right there SMACK in the middle of the table was "Going Clear", and I can happily report it looked rather worn.....:thumbsup::thumbsup:

TG1

Angelic Poster
I really am tickled about this! Tickled for Larry. And tickled for all of us.

Explaining Scientology is a very difficult thing to do because Scientology is NOT intuitive, nor is it simple.

He has done us proud. I feel like he told our story.

Thanks, Larry Wright.

TG1

P.S. And by saying "we" and "us," I'm not speaking FOR anyone else. I just feel proud.

Type4_PTS

Diamond Invictus SP
There's a message for Larry posted in the comments in Tony O's blog from Hana Eltringham Whitfield:

Hana Eltringham Whitfield 8 hours ago
CONGRATULATIONS, Larry! Your bravery and confront, and that of your publishers, and your perseverance through OSA's harassment will help untold hundreds to disentangle themselves from the criminal and immoral manipulations of the Church of Scientology. Jerry and I are already using it to help those still in Scientology bondage. We salute you. Jerry and Hana.
http://tonyortega.org/2013/10/16/sc...y-for-national-book-award/#comment-1084917472

JBWriter

Happy Sapien
Re: Lawrence Wright's "Going Clear" - Nat'l Book Award - Live Webcast 7:40 p.m. EST

Tonight, the National Book Foundation (NBF) will announce the winner of the National Book Award.

A live webcast of the actual event, which is scheduled to begin at 7:40 p.m. EST, may be accessed at the NBF site here: http://www.nationalbook.org/

:goodluck:

JB

Type4_PTS

Diamond Invictus SP
While we're waiting to hear, here's an interview with Lawrence Wright:
http://www.nationalbook.org/nba2013_nf_wright_interv.html#.Uo1dxCf3OH0

Interview by Sallie Tisdale

Sallie Tisdale: First Al Qaeda and now Scientology - bitter enemies to make. You note "the caution with which scholars regard the subject" of Scientology and how many of your sources were "fearful of retribution." Were you? Was there any hesitation?

Lawrence Wright: There was. I had thought about writing about Scientology for years, but it has a well-earned reputation for being vindictive and litigious. When I first talked to David Remnick at the New Yorker about doing the subject, we decided not to. It wasn't entirely because of the legal consequences, but because I didn't have a good way in to the story. But when I found out about Paul Haggis, it was just too good to pass up. They did scare off my British publisher. In Britain they have completely different libel laws—the church threatened the publisher and they just folded at once.

ST: You are particularly interested in religious belief, which you see as being profoundly influential in human history. You also note that Scientologists seem to lack a sense of humor or irony. Have you found this lack in other religions as well?

LW: Humor and irony don't mix very well with piety. You can have humorous people in any religion, but the more they become enmeshed with the dogma, the less they can indulge humor. I've always been interested in humor, and every time I go into a foreign environment, I always ask people for jokes. I didn't find many Scientology jokes. When I was writing about Mormons, there are some pretty funny Mormon jokes—I wouldn't say hysterical, but there are Mormon jokes. It's an interesting comparison with Scientologists, because even though Mormons can be very protective of themselves, they aren't anywhere near as defensive. Mormonism has enough maturity to look at itself with a certain distance that Scientology hasn't achieved.

<snip>

Full Interview: http://www.nationalbook.org/nba2013_nf_wright_interv.html#.Uo1dxCf3OH0

TG1

Angelic Poster
Damn! I hope Wright wins tonight. This could increase book sales by hundreds of thousands and inoculate a million more.

TG1

Angelic Poster
And a win would really raise the odds of Wright finally getting published in the UK.

Come on, NB Awards!

aegerprimo

Summa Cum Laude
And a win would really raise the odds of Wright finally getting published in the UK.

Come on, NB Awards!
He SO deserves to win! His book has helped so many people understand what Scientology REALLY is, and who LRH REALLY is. :cheerleader: