Leah Remini and her mother on The Ellen Show Wednesday, 5/28/14

Smurf

Gold Meritorious SP
I guess I am disappointed that she has to go down the Jerry Springer route, so to speak. To me, she has so much talent. I really wish the big honchos saw it and took her under their wings and gave her the career I think her talent warrants. I am not a reality show watcher so I suppose I am being a bit judgmental. I find them unsophisticated, banal corn and games.

That's not how showbiz works anymore. It was in the 70s & before when talent were given studio contracts & paid an annual salary, but the downside to that is that an actor would be assigned to perform on a number of TV shows & they received no additional pay. Nowadays, it's all about making money & hiring talent that are bankable & no taking someone under "their wing".

To prove that point, many of the audition notices from casting agencies nowadays for Screen Actors Guild (SAG) approved shows (TV sitcoms) & motion picture productions demand the talent to be "name preferred", meaning one whose had actual TV/movie gigs & whose name is known to the common TV/movie fan. Leah would be a "name preferred" talent.

Consider, too, that it is not easy to get a SAG membership card. It requires one to actually be hired in a TV show or motion picture with a speaking role, and once that is attained, $1,150 fee to join SAG. Most TV/movie castings today require talent to be a member of SAG. There are over 165,000 SAG members; 122,000 of them in the Los Angeles area. Only 5% of that number are earning more than $20,000 a year.

oneonewasaracecar

Gold Meritorious Patron
Leah says was fired from the talk show, 'The Talk" for being "too ghetto". She blamed Sharon Osbourne for her being fired.

[video=youtube;YZMENAinv5k]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YZMENAinv5k[/video]

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/leah-remini-confirms-she-will-228400

Several media sources reported that Leah acted like a diva behind-the-scenes, who would bring her mother to the CBS lot & her mom, Vicki Marshall, would not park in her assigned parking space. There's a pecking order on who gets what parking spaces on a studio lot.

http://www.celebitchy.com/174979/leah_remini_julie_chen_the_ladies_of_the_talk_are_ bitch-fighting/

I was following Leah Remini on that show. I was posting comments on the board about her being tone 40 and what that meant. OSA were all over those threads. I wasn't surprised she got fired. There was clear tensions on air.

In my view I saw a few things that got her fired;-
1) She yelled a lot. She was even told on air that she 'was using her outdoor voice again.'
2) One of her costars have posed in some racy spread years ago in order to get publicity. Leah said, 'and how did that work out for you?' She meant it in a harmless way, but everything stopped after she said that.

I hope that now she is out, she can learn to behave like a non-Scientologist, and I do support her now and I am proud of what she has done (especially with Shelley), but IMHO Leah got herself fired because she was brash, insensitive and loud. In the first part of the show she did bring J Lo on to the show (and this may have been a drawcard for her in getting the job), but she looked like too much trouble and no impulse control on the set.

Smurf

Gold Meritorious SP
In the first part of the show she did bring J Lo on to the show (and this may have been a drawcard for her in getting the job), but she looked like too much trouble and no impulse control on the set.

Leah said she got hired on 'The Talk' because she was a fan favorite of CBS Chairman Les Moonves. Leah co-starred on the hit CBS sitcom, 'The King of Queens' for 9 seasons. Les is married to 'The Talk' host Julie Chen, thus she carries alot of weight on the show. Sara Gilbert is listed as co-creator of the show which is probably why they haven't fired the dull & boring actress.

The word in the media after Leah was fired was that Sharon Osbourne & Julie Chen complained to Les Moonves that Leah was too loud & obnoxious & turned viewers off.. so Les bowed to his wife's concern & fired Leah & Holly Robinson Peete.

If you ever watch the show, you will notice how the women cow tow to Julie Chen, obviously, because of who her husband is.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ss-wife-Julie-Chen-wreaks-havoc-The-Talk.html

Udarnik

Gold Meritorious Patron
She just comes across to me as a New Yorker in this vid with Ellen. :biggrin:

I do wish her and her family all the best! Hope the new show is successful and fun for them.

Not just NYC, Brooklyn. That's another step up the ladder of attitude.

If someone asks a Brooklyninte if they are from Brooklyn, the proper response is:

"Who wants ta know?"

clamicide

Gold Meritorious Patron
I was following Leah Remini on that show. I was posting comments on the board about her being tone 40 and what that meant. OSA were all over those threads. I wasn't surprised she got fired. There was clear tensions on air.

In my view I saw a few things that got her fired;-
1) She yelled a lot. She was even told on air that she 'was using her outdoor voice again.'
2) One of her costars have posed in some racy spread years ago in order to get publicity. Leah said, 'and how did that work out for you?' She meant it in a harmless way, but everything stopped after she said that.

I hope that now she is out, she can learn to behave like a non-Scientologist, and I do support her now and I am proud of what she has done (especially with Shelley), but IMHO Leah got herself fired because she was brash, insensitive and loud. In the first part of the show she did bring J Lo on to the show (and this may have been a drawcard for her in getting the job), but she looked like too much trouble and no impulse control on the set.

See... I'm a little lost here... No, I'm no surprised she got fired. When I saw her, back before she was "out", I figured she might be in trouble for how she acted--not only in her job, but with the COS. She never demonstrated the 'appropriate tone level' and PR level expected. Scio never ended up managing to control her--and maybe, like a lot of us, she's just now figuring out who she is.

She might or might not be a great person (I, for one, think I'd like her if I met her). She's an ex. In the cult, we are expected to be paragons of the cult, do we REALLY want to expect exes to have to portray a certain "beingness" after suffering years under that kind of torture?

AnonyMary

Formerly Fooled - Finally Free
She was born and raised for some years in NY before her mother or parents shipped the family out to CA.

Once once has a NYC accent and attitude, it's very hard to get rid of :biggrin:

lotus

stubborn rebel sheep!
I agree...she seems a bit crude, kind of rude.....lacking class....kind of grated on my nerves.....not good for a public appearance. :no:

Ellen was not comfortable at some point.
It reminded me Kirsty :unsure:

Anyway, I wish her and her family the best as this is the most important for they recover their freedom and family life.
They look happy with a lot of funny projects.
She turned her $cientology nightmare into something very much positive! Well done!

Last edited:

Reasonable

Silver Meritorious Patron
I guess I am disappointed that she has to go down the Jerry Springer route, so to speak. To me, she has so much talent. ...

We are all entitled to our opinions but humbly I would like to ask how exactly is she “talented?”

Movies: She has had only small parts in 3 movies, the last of which was over 10 years ago.

Television: Except for “King of Queens” she has had a bunch of guest parts and was on a talk show for a short time.

Dancing with the stars: Very average dancer

And the only long term role that she was in was King of Queens where IMO she was…“OK” for the part but she was basically a supporting character playing herself. A tough Brooklyn girl. I just don’t see any display of higher than average artistic, acting or comedic talent.

In fact from her history and personality it seems to me that a reality show about herself is probably the only thing that she is really cut out to do.

She is loud, brash, opinionated, sincere, in your face, and willing to let it all hang out. She is perfect for a Jerry Springer mentality.

I know comments on here can come across as argumentative and I don’t mean to be, just having a conversation.