What's new

Leah Remini book out Nov. 3: ‘Troublemaker: Surviving Hollywood and Scientology’

Cat Daddy

Silver Meritorious Patron
Nobody will like this

Millions? Wow! You mean worldwide? Or just in the US? I would think that's a little high for just the US.

Anyway, I agree essentially with what you're saying, which is why my A) possibility said that if they did talk to Shelly she probably behaved like a good girl and said that she's fine. I have also suspected that she is not necessarily resisting her banishment/imprisonment. Probably believes she "deserves it".

But I also suspect other things are possible with this situation. Can't prove any of them though. So I won't try.

[video=youtube;ip9dQO5TofI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ip9dQO5TofI[/video]

Last edited:
There are millions of women who are virtual prisoners in their own homes due to religious belief systems or some kind of subjugation. Even if you took them someplace completely safe where they could start a new life many would demand to go back.

They don't know all the things Shelly knows (or knew?)

Sassy

Patron Meritorious

I finished the book today & had a hard time putting it down. It was fantastic. I loved hearing Leah's story from the very beginning & totally related to everything up until she entered the cult. One thing that really struck me was when she talked about TC having the cult search for a girlfriend for him. Although he completely denies having the cult doing so, does ANYONE actually believe that he didn't at least get a look at Naz's photo ahead of their "date", to give a preliminary thumbs up? Does anyone actually believe that Greg Whatshisname would take it upon himself to blindly pick a woman for TC, shut down the skating rink & whatever to bring him a woman that he may have had zero interest in? You would have been thrown in a cell if you screwed that up! I call utter B.S. Cruise scares the living daylights out of me. Who could ever act as themself around this nutcase? You'd be walking on pins & needles every minute, fearful that he would snap at any minute. And I'm calling Katie Holmes out! If your new BF snapped on someone over fucking cookie dough and went on humiliating & berating their assistant (when you'd JUST started dating), why did you ever stick around??? I would have fled into the night after seeing that. DONE, OVER.

TheOriginalBigBlue

Gold Meritorious Patron
They don't know all the things Shelly knows (or knew?)

Yes, which raises a finer point - much of what she knows would more properly fall under the FBI or the IRS instead of the LAPD.

To these guys, responding to a Missing Person Report, she may just looks like a rich recluse. If she isn't visibly abused and tells them she wants to stay, what can they do?

Sock Puppy

Patron with Honors
Perhaps its time for a large, vocal, protest at Twin Peaks? (with lots of signs )

I saw one video the AngryGayP did there.....? ( don't have the link...)

[video=youtube;qonaj81dqEE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qonaj81dqEE[/video]

CommunicatorIC

@IndieScieNews on Twitter
Scientology, Leah Remini, Shelly Miscavige and Tom Cruise

Scientology, Leah Remini, Shelly Miscavige and Tom Cruise.

Mike Rinder: Leah Remini, Shelly Miscavige and Tom Cruise

http://www.mikerindersblog.org/leah-remini-shelly-miscavige-and-tom-cruise/

Do NOT rely on or read only the excerpt. There is MUCH more at the link.

* * * * * BEGIN EXCERPT * * * * *

What can Miscavige do to respond to Hurricane Leah? She is blowing his house down and it is a storm that comes on top of severe damage already inflicted on the once apparently impregnable fortress of scientology.

It has been building throughout the year — Going Clear at Sundance got the ball rolling.

Followed by the revelations from the PI’s tailing his father which thrust scientology back into the headlines. Losing tax exemption in the Netherlands. Tony Ortega’s Unbreakable Miss Lovely, a never ending stream of Narconon bad news. And much more.

And now Troublemaker has stepped it up to whole new levels with a better educated and far more receptive media.

Scientology has tried to deal with the unwanted attention by following it’s very well worn playbook:

Sending threatening letters to the production companies/publishers

Sending threatening letters to the media

Dumping piles of “D/A” materials on the doorstep of the media — rehashing the same tired old ad hominem attacks

Getting a few low level “celebrities” to make some lame comments about how they are being targeted by “bigots”

Here is what they have not done:

Addressed a single specific other than to say things are “provable bullshit”

Agreed to be interviewed by anyone in the media

The problem is that the old tactics no longer work. Filmmakers and publishers no longer buy into the empty threats. Neither do the media.

* * * * * END EXCERPT * * * * *

Leah responds:

https://twitter.com/LeahRemini/status/663352604781506560

attachment.php

Attachments

• LeahThanksMike2.PNG
    LeahThanksMike2.PNG
    18.3 KB · Views: 113

AngeloV

Gold Meritorious Patron
Just snapped this in the checkout line at the local grocery store.
Look at some of the subtitles - "Grueling interrogations and fears for her family...."

Wonder how many millions of shoppers will see it. :thumbsup:

a1e8ca93-348d-4bf3-bf01-8591649e474d.jpg

Jump

Operating teatime

Cover text: 'I had to get out for my daughter.'

Shopper: . o O ( "Hmmm that's like that other woman .. Katie Holmes." )

Free to shine

Shiny & Free
I've finished reading the book ... I could have done so in a day but I made it stretch to two as I didn't want it to finish.

I admit it triggered me a bit and I've spent some time thinking it all through. Being '2nd generation' as Leah is, I found her explanations of how the concepts of scientology affect your daily life to be so similar and heartbreaking when seen as a whole story. The enthusiasm and innocence of children and teens going into this lifestyle and how their - our - views of the world are subtly influenced is just so true. It doesn't matter who you are, where you are in the world, the effect is the same.

The difference with Leah is her family unit, that unbreakable bond that has supported her throughout her life. That constant is what helped her launch so many courageous actions in her life, not least leaving scientology itself. I cried for my own shattered family and many others I know of where that family unit was destroyed, often before it really formed after the birth of children; where parents abandoned and neglected their children in search of their own 'salvation'. So individual family members had to face leaving and starting again alone, which as we know is one of the most daunting things you can do.

I love her humour, her honesty, her matter of fact descriptions ... her way of saying "it is what it is". And that is what people are responding to.

In it's way this is a truly remarkable book, published at exactly the right time in a way that helps with understanding what Going Clear was about on a more personal level, and all the brilliant books that have led up to this. I feel it's a breakthrough on a scale that we may not know about yet and the ripple effects will be felt for a long time.

Wants2Talk

Free
I so agree with you. The human, personal face - relating a story of unconscionable inhumanity - like Harriet Beecher Stowe's UNCLE TOM'S CABIN, has the power to touch the heart. Touch enough hearts and ...

In it's way this is a truly remarkable book, published at exactly the right time in a way that helps with understanding what Going Clear was about on a more personal level, and all the brilliant books that have led up to this. I feel it's a breakthrough on a scale that we may not know about yet and the ripple effects will be felt for a long time.

Free
I so agree with you. The human, personal face - relating a story of unconscionable inhumanity - like Harriet Beecher Stowe's UNCLE TOM'S CABIN, has the power to touch the heart. Touch enough hearts and ...

Me too.

Wants2Talk

Has this been posted? - Rachael Ray - Part is screwed up - just advance to good part.[video=youtube;e0SUp6ssfR4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e0SUp6ssfR4[/video]

Anonycat

Crusader
Wow, Leah's account has 382,416 followers! 53,822 for scientologys' account. It must be a lot of critics and journalists in that number. The "Likes" are all in single-digits. A new Org opens? 5 people like it.