What's new

Leah Remini book out Nov. 3: ‘Troublemaker: Surviving Hollywood and Scientology’

CommunicatorIC

@IndieScieNews on Twitter
https://twitter.com/Drawntothe80s/status/671929326296629248

attachment.php

Attachments

• DrawnToThe80s.jpg
    DrawnToThe80s.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 162

Glenda

Crusader
I am enjoying listening to Leah's audiobook. I've been a bit low on time this week to listen to much of it but it's nearly the weekend...yay.

She's a brave woman with a delightful sparkling attitude. I grow fonder and fonder of her as I listen to each chapter. :)

Leah rocks! :yes:

Boson Wog Stark

Patron Meritorious
In the wake of Leah's book, I was thinking about her dance partner's mention of being followed, and then her sister, and that Scientology responds with, "That's nuts. This is all a publicity stunt for her book."

What an odd publicity stunt that would be. If anything other than the truth, her former dance partner would be doing it more as a publicity stunt for himself, so taking advantage of Leah's fame as a new best-selling author, and ex-Scientologist.

Are they going to say it's nuts what Miscavige Sr. will write about being followed, when it's all in a police record from the team hired to do the following? Yeah, it is quite nuts, all the PIs the cult hires, and then tries to deny. It was nuts to spend millions on following Pat Broeker for decades.

Let's say her dance partner wasn't followed. Well, it would be normal for him to think he was being followed, given the cult's record and Leah's threat to them at the time. Being nuts and following, and even harassing people associated with the threat is Scientology's standard operating procedure, as they did with Mosey.

Scientology acts like they need to get back to the serious business of auditing dead space alien souls off people, and charging them hundreds of thousands to learn about Xenu. After all, they've got to raise more millions to keep hiring all these private detectives to follow people. Except for Narconon, which makes its own money, their budget for private detectives is much higher than for all their "social betterment programs" combined.

CommunicatorIC

If Nicole Remini's kids were attracted to Scientology, she'd say: Read Aunt Leah's book | Star Tribune

Q: What would you do if one of your kids said they wanted to be a Scientologist?

A: I’d say read your aunt’s book. [Big laughs] Here’s “Going Clear,” here’s your aunt’s book. Now read Dianetics and see how it all works out for you. I want to let them choose, be who they want to be. Even bringing your kids to church every Sunday, there’s no guarantee they’re going to church on Sundays. But I think I would say, “Read your aunt Leah’s book.” Come up with the decision after that. [Long laughter]

http://www.startribune.com/c-j-if-n...-advise-read-your-aunt-leah-s-book/360618801/

HT - The Wrong Guy on WWP: https://whyweprotest.net/threads/tr...ok-by-leah-remini.130287/page-12#post-2567875

JBWriter

Happy Sapien
Billy Eichner and Rachel Dratch...

Escaping Scientology: The Obstacle Course

[video]https://youtube.com/watch?v=A4r5Nzkma6E[/video]

:wink2:

JB

CommunicatorIC

If You Read Just One More Book This Year, Make It One of These | Cosmopolitan

Take your pick from 16 fantastic reads released in 2015.

15. Troublemaker: Surviving Hollywood and Scientology, by Leah Remini (2015, Ballantine Books)

Why did actress Leah Remini finally break from Scientology after more than 30 years of devoted membership? And what celebrity secrets from inside Scientology's walls is she ready to spill? In Troublemaker, Remini reflects on the decades she spent as a good Scientologist: joining at age 9 with her mother and sister; moving to LA to more closely follow the org; finding wild success with acting and increased status in the church. Ultimately, her refusal to keep Scientology's secrets got her investigated, punished, and kicked out; here, she is finally able to celebrate her freedom.

http://www.cosmopolitan.com/entertainment/books/a50589/books-out-in-2015/

HT - The Wrong Guy on WWP: https://whyweprotest.net/threads/tr...ok-by-leah-remini.130287/page-13#post-2568178

Lohan2008

Gold Meritorious Patron
I personally did not find Leah's book that great, she whines on about what a bad person she is. 2> She really did not push that the e-meter has no scientific base, just stated how much she paid for courses. 3> Did not really state that Tomy Davis and Mike Rinder have left the cult, lumps them with Paul Haggis, Debbie Cook in the credits. Should have spelled out who they are and what the cult has done to abuse them.

CommunicatorIC

Book Review: Leah Remini, ‘Troublemaker: Surviving Hollywood and Scientology’

Book Review: Leah Remini, ‘Troublemaker: Surviving Hollywood and Scientology’

Under The Radar: Leah Remini, Troublemaker: Surviving Hollywood and Scientology

http://www.undertheradarmag.com/reviews/troublemaker_surviving_hollywood_and_scientology/

* * * * * BEGIN CONCLUSION * * * * *

In frank and readable style, Remini discusses her indoctrination to the church's beliefs. She's put through rigorous training and faced questionable disciplinary measures. She spends a great deal of money to the church. She makes some influential friends. However, along the way, she comes to her senses. Practices seem increasingly strange to her and the lack of answers she is able to get from church officials, especially in regard to the whereabouts of leader David Miscavige's wife, eventually come to a breaking point, and Remini summons all the courage she can muster to leave. Which also sadly means disconnecting from the people she knew in the church, which represented the lion's share of her social and familial circle.

Troublemaker is a brave book. It is candid. Remini does not hold back, although one sense that the depth of her knowledge vastly exceeds what she's able to include here. Also worth noting is that Remini's personality, the one she so deftly and hilariously presented on The King of Queens, leaps off the page throughout her book. Troublemaker is not dry. It's not self-serious, even though, given the subject matter, it might have the right to be. It's engaging from the first page to the end. Even if one wasn't before, one becomes invested in Remini's story. Which makes things all the more satisfying when, in the end, she finds herself able to be free.

* * * * * END CONCLUSION * * * * *

CommunicatorIC

Didn't Mackenzie go through the NarCONon program?
Good catch.

Nothing says medical privacy like a press release.

http://www.prweb.com/releases/2009/09/prweb2942884.htm

* * * * * BEGIN QUOTATION * * * * *

Mackenzie Phillips Completes Drug Rehab Through Narconon Louisiana

Hollywood actress is finally able to overcome life-long addiction through Narconon drug rehab program.

DENHAM SPRINGS, LA (PRWEB) SEPTEMBER 25, 2009

Hollywood actress is finally able to overcome life-long addiction through Narconon drug rehab program. As chronicled in her recent book "High on Arrival," Mackenzie Phillips was introduced to the world of drug addiction at a very young age.

"I kind of grew up on television. I was what they call a child star," says Mackenzie. "I also grew up in a family that used and abused drugs. My dad was a rock star in the 60's. Drugs were the norm in my family."

As she got older, Mackenzie's drug use continued to increase, and as a result they continually crept into her professional life. Unable to maintain her lifestyle, she was asked to leave "One Day At a Time" and her drug use continued for many years, until last year Mackenzie finally found a solution to her problem - the Narconon Louisiana drug and alcohol rehabilitation program.

When she arrived at Narconon Louisiana, addicted to heroin and cocaine, Mackenzie had just been bailed out on felony drug possession charges. "I felt like my life was over," she explains. "I'd had 10 years clean time in the past, but I felt defeated by my relapse."

Once Mackenzie arrived at Narconon Louisiana she was given the opportunity to break free from her past. "At Narconon Louisiana I was welcomed into a family of amazing people who truly cared about me. I was given the opportunity to repair past difficulties, under the caring and watchful eye of the staff. The program has given me the freedom to move forward into my future, a future I did not think I had," says Phillips.

The way the Narconon program achieved this was through a unique method that handles both the physical and mental aspects of addiction. During the first part of the program clients go through a sauna detoxification program, which eliminates residues that are left in the body by drugs and therefore reducing physical cravings for the drugs. The second half of the Narconon Program is a series of life skills courses, which restore an individual back to a productive, ethical, contributing member of society while raising their abilities to handle problems or difficulties.

Narconon Louisiana opened its doors in 2006 and has graduated over 150 clients from its residential drug rehab facility. The program achieves a more than 76% success rate for permanent recovery from addiction.

Like many others, Mackenzie is one individual that has been able to achieve sobriety through the Narconon drug treatment program.

"This is the beginning of my life," says Mackenzie. "I've learned who I am and what I am and I like what I've found out about myself. I can now move forward with my life, letting the past remain behind me and that means that life is new and I am new. I'll never forget my time (at Narconon)."

The executives and staff off Narconon Louisiana are proud of the accomplishments Mackenzie and other program graduates have made in overcoming difficult past experiences on the way to permanent recovery from substance abuse.

If you or someone you know is struggling with a drug or alcohol addiction contact Narconon Louisiana at XXX-XXX-XXXX.

* * * * * END QUOTATION * * * * *

Last edited:

RogerB

Crusader
Umm, is this what happens at the on the way to the end of the route to "OT" . . . not my idea of an accomplishment . . . .

john-travolta-before-after.jpeg

CommunicatorIC

Leah Remini’s Troublemaker is an irresistibly gossipy takedown of Scientology

Leah Remini’s Troublemaker is an irresistibly gossipy takedown of Scientology.

AV Club: Leah Remini’s Troublemaker is an irresistibly gossipy takedown of Scientology

http://www.avclub.com/article/leah-reminis-troublemaker-irresistibly-gossipy-tak-233179

March 17, 2016

* * * * * BEGIN CONCLUSION * * * * *

Troublemaker is, like its author, and the rest of humanity (with the notable exception of Tom Cruise) ragingly imperfect. There’s a section on Remini’s disastrous, short-lived stint on a The View knockoff called The Talk that could easily be excised. But Remini and ghost writer Rebecca Paley capture the veteran actress’ melodramatic journey of faith and disillusionment in a voice that’s feisty and relatable. This short treatise on how a street-smart New Yorker made some very dumb decisions in Hollywood never wears out its welcome.

Remini’s engaging account of losing her religion is more breezy beach read than serious tome. Troublemaker isn’t an exhaustively researched magnum opus like Going Clear, but rather a compulsively readable, if minor, addition to the growing field of literature dedicated to the notion that Scientology isn’t just dishonest and misguided, but something approaching a crime against humanity.

* * * * * END CONCLUSION * * * * *