What's new

Leah Remini discusses the hardest part of leaving Scientology

Zoey2014

Patron
You've been very open about breaking ties with the Scientology community on the show, which I think really made people root for you and your staunch commitment to your beliefs. What's been the most challenging aspect of parting ways with the community that was so integral to your life?

Being vocal was not an easy decision. I knew once I had said that I left publicly, I would have to be shunned by everyone I had known most of my life. So that was a big one.

Just saying publicly that you left gets you an automatic “Declare” and a "Declare" is basically a stamp of an “Enemy” to the group. What I have spoken about is only two points: Not being allowed to question things and forced disconnection that is enforced on its members when one leaves publicly.

Had I just walked away quietly, this conversation wouldn’t be taking place. So, it wasn’t so much that I left that they had a problem with but rather that I said that I did. So one could ask, "Why do it publicly then?" The answer is because I knew that there were a lot of people who were looking to me to stand for something when it came to this particular policy of Disconnection and not being allowed to question “authority.”

If I didn’t say something, I would not be setting any example for them. I would be quietly saying, “Well, this is okay and I should abide by these rules they have and be silent.”

I was naïve in thinking my friends -- and even the church -- would see my point not agreeing to these methods and maybe be part of a positive change. There are many who are out there who have not spoken about their distancing themselves and I find it cowardly. But there are those who have attacked it to a point where I am offended.

I am not perfect, but when it comes to being your own person who is able to think for themselves, come to their own conclusions without having to be forced to think this and this, allowed to make mistakes, to be vocal about your disagreements and asking questions of something that you dedicated your life to seems to be a basic human right. At least, that is what they teach you in the church.

http://thestir.cafemom.com/entertainment/176063/leah_remini_reveals_the_hardest

Sindy

Crusader
Well that's a brave middle ground she's taking and I suppose that's the smartest thing she can do. I am glad she decided not to be a coward. Thank you Leah. I do wonder what attacks she finds offensive.

Personally, I find the attacks against the cult to be quite polite and civilized, all things considered. For what they've done and continue to do one could expect much, much worse attacks. They continue to get off very easy, every single day of the year.

Purple Rain

Crusader
Well that's a brave middle ground she's taking and I suppose that's the smartest thing she can do. I am glad she decided not to be a coward. Thank you Leah. I do wonder what attacks she finds offensive.

Personally, I find the attacks against the cult to be quite polite and civilized, all things considered. For what they've done and continue to do one could expect much, much worse attacks. They continue to get off very easy, every single day of the year.

Well, also, bear in mind that she hasn't been out long. It usually takes most exes way longer to get to the point of speaking out, and as ex celebrities go, I think the only others are like Paul Haggis, Jason Beghe and William Burroughs.

But, yes, it would be interesting to find out what she is offended by. I read that differently at first, but I do think you're right.

Sindy

Crusader
Well, also, bear in mind that she hasn't been out long. It usually takes most exes way longer to get to the point of speaking out, and as ex celebrities go, I think the only others are like Paul Haggis, Jason Beghe and William Burroughs.

But, yes, it would be interesting to find out what she is offended by. I read that differently at first, but I do think you're right.

Yes. She hasn't been out long but she's busy with her career and she may never dig much deeper and I am not even saying she should. I am a huge fan of hers and in my book she can really do no wrong.

She walks a fine line. There really is no way to win, as a celebrity, to be a huge vocal critic because being in the spotlight, words get distorted because one says something once and it gets magnified over and over and over, as each outlet picks up the "story" ad nauseum, to the point where one sounds ugly and bitter in a completely exaggerated sense.

It's a hard topic to get communicated to the masses in an accurate way because most don't really care so she does herself the most favors by keeping quiet (on the rest, other than what she has already said, which is a lot).

I was simply curious about what she found offensive. I think she's played it exactly right.

Purple Rain

Crusader
Yes. She hasn't been out long but she's busy with her career and she may never dig much deeper and I am not even saying she should. I am a huge fan of hers and in my book she can really do no wrong.

She walks a fine line. There really is no way to win, as a celebrity, to be a huge vocal critic because being in the spotlight, words get distorted because one says something once and it gets magnified over and over and over, as each outlet picks up the "story" ad nauseum, to the point where one sounds ugly and bitter in a completely exaggerated sense.

It's a hard topic to get communicated to the masses in an accurate way because most don't really care so she does herself the most favors by keeping quiet (on the rest, other than what she has already said, which is a lot).

I was simply curious about what she found offensive. I think she's played it exactly right.

Yes, I am curious, too, now.

WildKat

Gold Meritorious Patron
When I first got out, I remember being offended by some of the things I saw posted. Being a voracious reader, I read EVERYTHING, and some of it was truly offensive.

Also, remember that most people when they first leave still love Hubbard and think management is the problem. So if they see ANYTHING critical of Hubbard, they choose not to believe it or find it tasteless. It takes a while to get a sense of humor about the whole picture. In fact, it can take years.

Sindy

Crusader
When I first got out, I remember being offended by some of the things I saw posted. Being a voracious reader, I read EVERYTHING, and some of it was truly offensive.

Also, remember that most people when they first leave still love Hubbard and think management is the problem. So if they see ANYTHING critical of Hubbard, they choose not to believe it or find it tasteless. It takes a while to get a sense of humor about the whole picture. In fact, it can take years.

Agreed and for some, it never happens. It doesn't just happen by accident. You have to bring yourself there. You have to delve. You have to look. You have to be willing to be shocked and offended and to get to know the people who are offending you. There are so many levels of creepiness and betrayal that if you don't make a concerted effort to keep plowing through it all, you get bounced back out to a more comfortable reality.

Dean Blair

Silver Meritorious Patron
When I first left I felt like Leah. Since then I have found that Scientology is always worse than you thought.

Enthetan

Master of Disaster

She played it perfectly.

If she gave specifics, then Scn mouthpieces would say "That's a lie! And we'll sue for defamation!". Rather than saying what specifically she found offensive, she leaves people curious.

Curious people will be more likely to satisfy their curiosity by searching the Net, where they will find LOTS of negative info.

Leah: "...I was naïve in thinking my friends -- and even the church -- would see my point not agreeing to these methods and maybe be part of a positive change. There are many who are out there who have not spoken about their distancing themselves and I find it cowardly. But there are those who have attacked it to a point where I am offended...."

I think she may be offended by those who have attacked her speaking out.
Seems to make more sense that way.

Sindy

Crusader
Leah: "...I was naïve in thinking my friends -- and even the church -- would see my point not agreeing to these methods and maybe be part of a positive change. There are many who are out there who have not spoken about their distancing themselves and I find it cowardly. But there are those who have attacked it to a point where I am offended...."

I disagree (respectfully of course). Read again. :)

I disagree (respectfully of course). Read again. :)

If you are saying that "it" in the last sentence refers to scientology or the COS then I respectfully disagree. :)

I must go back and read the whole thing in context then and I will do so, respectfully :)

I could explain why I have my opinion but would rather not right now b'cos very tired.
I agree that it is possible she did mean COS, but I think extremely unlikely. I think the context of her last few sentences is important (including a bit before what I quoted.) Other things about her situation re COS have a bearing on my opinion too. Goodnight. Have to hit the sack now........

Churchill

Gold Meritorious Patron

I think its a combination of that she hasn't been out that long, that she is finding her voice, and that, as a celebrity, the criminal. OSA side of Scientology would have been kept from her.

Leah gets it, and, as she becomes more knowledgable, I believe she'll be even more outraged by it all than she currently is.

Last edited:

Leland

Crusader
Isn't Leah a second generation? IMO its gonna take quite some time for her. What guts she has to just walk away....from those life long friends.

There is just a point with-in a scientology "career" that one just has to do that...

quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by degraded being

As far as the bolded sentences above. IMO she is talking about the two sides of one coin. And that she is talking about the C of S....when she uses it, in the last sentence. As in those that left the Cof S and kept quite, and those that left (it) and attacked.

LOL.....if Leah reads any of this.....she must be aghast....over us here discussing what she says so minutely.....:biggrin: