What's new

Leaving a religion

SuperPowers

Patron with Honors
Scientologists live in a bubble world. :ship:

Despite a nasty exploitation like being over-worked, under-paid, stat-pushed, being bossed around or bossing others around :whipped: and so on, staff still endure a half-life because of the agony they'd face if they'd leave their religion. They would lose their future, friends and would be out in the cold world. :omg: :scared:

It's no easy thing to leave a religion - any religion - I would think. Religion is the roots of human existence. It is the placeholder for the Unknown and it has all the Answers of the past and what to come. Take that away, and you'd might have a hollow, wretched soul like me who is still struggling with the void - considering and testing atheism, agnosticism, arts, alcohol,:beer: psychotherapy ... and analyzing the after-effects of quitting a religion which in this case is a psychological experience in itself.

So there's a lot at stake if splitting. I once was told by a person in the network I had X-ed from, that if I didn't re-join and put things right I would have a very hard next life, which is a kind of voodoo or spell casting, I would say.

In an org, every effort is made to maintain high spirits and to shut the ugly world out. It's a bubble world recipe in which critics has no role. It can be made a functioning, happy world, where focus is set on playing a very busy, world saving game (which of course can be a thrill to take part in - I've been in that "flow"). But it's a fragile construction. It's built on compromised parts. And it's All or Nothing. The totalitarian perspective must be accepted by motivated troups and they must have their purpose revitalized - over and over again. And the embarressing parts needs to be handled and justified (money, donation, church), keep leaving unanswered questions unanswered, so it takes a lot of polish and empty promises to keep the bubble there.