What's new

Lets compare some things.

Protagonist

Basic reason I'm here: to compare Thelema and Scientology. I'm pretty darn sure Thelema isn't a dangerous cult, but I still think there could be commonalities.

1) First off, as I understand it, OT3 is the big secret of Scientology, and when you achieve that level, you can't blab about it. Is that true of other levels, as well? Are there certain things that, for example, clears are not allowed to talk about with preclears?

2) I am aware that there are levels in Scientology, but I can't seem to find, like, a PDF or whatever, outlining each one and what is to be achieved in it. How many are there?

3) I have researched the idea of being clear some. As I understand it, it is the death of the reactive mind. This leads me to ask: what else is there? Clearly if you can lose your reactive mind, there must be something better that steps in and takes control. I heard the term "analytical mind" once or twice. Is that it? Is the force that (in theory) should exist in and control all clear Scientologists in any way considered divine? In any way at all. Does it have godlike powers, by any chance? Also, is it seen as somewhat external? Could someone say they were "listening" to their "analytical mind" or whatever it is, or talking with it?

4) Maybe that's not it. I hear the term thetan a lot, as a Scientology equivalent of soul. Would it be accurate to say a person IS their thetan, but they don't realize it without auditing? Is the thetan what is left when the reactive mind is gone? Is the thetan by any chance divine?

5) I have researched the OT levels, but most places really only describe OT3. Other places describe the OT levels as, really, an unpleasant experience. Hubbard calls it the "Wall of Fire," right? Which implies that it is a barrier to be crossed. What do the OT levels do to the ego or identity (in theory)? Do they by any chance destroy it? As I understand it, the goal of the OT3 and higher is to audit out body thetans, thus the big secret being that we're all composed of many beings. It seems to me that this belief would do... something to the ego.

6)Does Scientology have a concept of destiny? I don't mean determinism. I mean, do Scientologists believe that everyone has a certain way that they should live their lives in order to be in accord with the universe, and that this is unique to every person?

7) Do Scientologists have any beliefs concerning the basic rights of humans?

8) Scientologists believe that clears can leave their bodies, right? And go anywhere in the physical universe... is it only the physical universe, or is there another dimension to it? What other things can clears supposedly do?

And whoa, the dynamics. Really surprised he went with eight instead of four, lol. Guess he wanted to be unique. Of course, it could be that I'm just forcing things to fit when they really don't.

Last edited:

Protagonist

Drat. I typed the entire post in NeoOffice and copied it over here, but I completely cut off the first part and the rest of it doesn't make sense without it, sorry. I'll edit the post.

Dulloldfart

Squirrel Extraordinaire
I suggest you number those questions if you are going to ask them all at once. That will give peeps a chance to answer some of them, but not all, and to keep track of it all.

EDIT: You did. Thanks very much.

Paul

Last edited:

Dulloldfart

Squirrel Extraordinaire
1) First off, as I understand it, OT3 is the big secret of Scientology, and when you achieve that level, you can't blab about it. Is that true of other levels, as well? Are there certain things that, for example, clears are not allowed to talk about with preclears?

2) I am aware that there are levels in Scientology, but I can't seem to find, like, a PDF or whatever, outlining each one and what is to be achieved in it. How many are there?

1. The levels called Power, R6EW, Clearing Course and the various OT levels are confidential, as are the L Rundowns.

2. Google "Classification, Gradation and Awareness Chart" (images) to see various versions. There used to be a huge one on a CofS site, but I can't find it now.

Here's a brief summary of the OT Levels: http://www.forum.exscn.net/showthre...he-8-OT-levels&p=214457&viewfull=1#post214457

Paul

Demented LRH

Patron Meritorious
6)Does Scientology have a concept of destiny? I don't mean determinism. I mean, do Scientologists believe that everyone has a certain way that they should live their lives in order to be in accord with the universe, and that this is unique to every person?"

Ideally, a Scientologist should have enough $$$ to reach the highest OT level that is on the market (currently it is OT 8).

When I was attending Scientology seminars the speaker, David Howsen, told us that the ultimate goal of Scientology is to teach a Scientologist how to reach a god-like state; at that state one is able to create his own universe similar to the one that we live in (I am talking about a material universe, not a spiritual one). However, Hubbard never claimed that had approached such state; the road to this state is not mapped by anyone.

Dulloldfart

Squirrel Extraordinaire
3) a. I have researched the idea of being clear some. As I understand it, it is the death of the reactive mind. This leads me to ask: what else is there? Clearly if you can lose your reactive mind, there must be something better that steps in and takes control.

b. I heard the term "analytical mind" once or twice. Is that it? Is the force that (in theory) should exist in and control all clear Scientologists in any way considered divine? In any way at all. Does it have godlike powers, by any chance? Also, is it seen as somewhat external? Could someone say they were "listening" to their "analytical mind" or whatever it is, or talking with it?

3a. The way I understand this it almost makes sense, which is weird for Hubbard's stuff. Hubbard said he wasn't talking about structure as much as function. The "reactive mind" *structurally* contains "charge", the accumulated protest, pain etc etc which normal people refer to as "baggage." Negative-gain auditing works at discharging this baggage associated with unpleasant memories that people have. Once this crap has been discharged, the memories still remain, it's just that they aren't so sticky (hard to get one's attention off) and unpleasant.

When people say or rant that engrams don't exist, I think they are referring to structure, not function, in general terms anyway. Hubbard's statements on how exactly they function aren't all correct, but there certainly exists baggage, or charge, although many are not aware that it can be discharged, at least in part.

3b. It is a term from 1950, as a comparison to the reactive mind. It is not general, but individual, in that you have one and I have one. Hubbard later defined it as the person himself, so it would be more correct to say that you are one, not you have one, although then the old books don't make sense. :). Hubbard doesn't really go into the divine at all, except to make a few snarky comments here and there.

Hubbard states that a being (such as one running a body on Earth, like thee or me) has potentially god-like powers, which can be released through Scn procedures. It's a big part of his con. External? No. It is one's essence (in Scn), but individual.

It's only after re-reading your question that I fully understand it, but I'm not going to re-edit this 3b bit. "Analytical mind" is a countable noun.

Paul

Claire Swazey

Spokeshole, fence sitter
Basic reason I'm here: to compare Thelema and Scientology. I'm pretty darn sure Thelema isn't a dangerous cult, but I still think there could be commonalities.

Yep.
Key to Life, Life Orientation Course, Pro TRS Clay Table, all other OT levels, all the Ls, the Clearing Course- all are "confidential" (that's what they call it.

You want to google Scientology grade chart and also Scientology bridge.

There's a "training route" up the bridge wherein one learns to actually be the auditor on all those actions, and a "pc route" where one just gets the auditing. There are also many courses, many of which are prerequisites and some of which are not. And there are auditing actions that are not prerequisites but are eagerly sought by most dyed in the wool party line members. The "Ls' and Key To Life/Life Orientation Course come to mind.

3) I have researched the idea of being clear some. As I understand it, it is the death of the reactive mind. This leads me to ask: what else is there? Clearly if you can lose your reactive mind, there must be something better that steps in and takes control. I heard the term "analytical mind" once or twice. Is that it? Is the force that (in theory) should exist in and control all clear Scientologists in any way considered divine? In any way at all. Does it have godlike powers, by any chance? Also, is it seen as somewhat external? Could someone say they were "listening" to their "analytical mind" or whatever it is, or talking with it?

Scn's theory is that we were all once at "native state"- totally free, not in bodies, just completely capable. Some would say "like gods" and that we fell from native state. Scn's stated goal (other than to make lots of money and enslave everybody) is to get people back to that point. To do that, they feel you have to get rid of the reactive mind first.

4) Maybe that's not it. I hear the term thetan a lot, as a Scientology equivalent of soul. Would it be accurate to say a person IS their thetan, but they don't realize it without auditing? Is the thetan what is left when the reactive mind is gone? Is the thetan by any chance divine?

Yep. It means spirit or soul. A person is one regardless of what his mind is or isn't or how many minds he has. And, no, nobody in Scn believes you can't know you're a spiritual being- a thetan- without auditing. But they think it's needed to get rid of all aberrations and go back to native state.

5) I have researched the OT levels, but most places really only describe OT3. Other places describe the OT levels as, really, an unpleasant experience. Hubbard calls it the "Wall of Fire," right? Which implies that it is a barrier to be crossed. What do the OT levels do to the ego or identity (in theory)? Do they by any chance destroy it? As I understand it, the goal of the OT3 and higher is to audit out body thetans, thus the big secret being that we're all composed of many beings. It seems to me that this belief would do... something to the ego.

The idea is that there was a cataclysmic event that happened to everyone in this universe and fucked them all up. Then they ended up possessed. That's basically it.

)Does Scientology have a concept of destiny? I don't mean determinism. I mean, do Scientologists believe that everyone has a certain way that they should live their lives in order to be in accord with the universe, and that this is unique to every person?

My take on it is no. Scn hates the idea of deities, destiny, anything like that. They do have an altered heavily edited and changed (bastardized, even) theory of karma and in those writings, Hubbard says the bad stuff happens because the person "does himself in". So clearly, he felt we create our own destiny.

Stated or otherwise? The Church of Scientology is notorious for its human rights abuses. Absolutely appalling. And some of those do proceed from policy written by Hubbard and the ones that don't still were inspired by it.

8) Scientologists believe that clears can leave their bodies, right? And go anywhere in the physical universe... is it only the physical universe, or is there another dimension to it? What other things can clears supposedly do?

Wrong. No, they don't.

"OT" (operating thetan) means one supposedly is free of his or her body and can operate outside of it.

And whoa, the dynamics. Really surprised he went with eight instead of four, lol. Guess he wanted to be unique. Of course, it could be that I'm just forcing things to fit when they really don't.

He did say they were arbitraries. Actually, that's one of the things he came up with that's really good.

Dulloldfart

Squirrel Extraordinaire

4. Hubbard had a confused idea of "thetan," in that he used the word to mean different things. He used the word "static" too, to indicate the real essence of a person. Many Scios think the two words are synonymous, but Hubbard used them with distinct meanings, so they get real confused.

In Hubbard-speak, a person, a human being, is a composite of a body and various other bits and pieces that have descriptions depending on when he wrote or spoke. Some of the bits and pieces are included in the term "thetan." The thetan still remains after whatever bits and pieces are changed through auditing. Scios "know" they are thetans because Hubbard said so and they have adopted his terminology and way of looking at things, so a beginning Scio with no auditing but some basic indoctrination under his belt will "know" that he is a thetan.

Paul

Adam7986

Declared SP

In general Scientologists are not supposed to discuss things they revealed in session regardless of their level. This is because there is a possibility of two people claiming to be a famous historical person which would cause them to realize that auditing is all hallucinations.

Here is an image

In Dianetics the mind was portrayed as a magnificent computer with innumerable capabilities and the ability to store infinite amounts of information. It was split into two parts. The "reactive" and "analytical".

The reactive stored all memories with pain and unconsciousness and used those memories to exert a negative effect upon the body.

Then in Scientology the 'thetan' comes to light and you learn that: You are an immortal spirit who has a mind and can use it as a tool. The thetan is supposed to have godlike powers, not the mind.

Yes to all of that.

Essentially the OT levels are exorcising of Scientology's version of demons. It has been known to make people mentally unstable by virtue of belief they are inhabited by multiple beings at all times. It can cause a split personality disorder or even make the person question every thought they have.

From what I have read on OT VII you are eventually taught to believe that Hubbard is the creator of all life in the universe.

6)Does Scientology have a concept of destiny? I don't mean determinism. I mean, do Scientologists believe that everyone has a certain way that they should live their lives in order to be in accord with the universe, and that this is unique to every person?

Scientologists believe that the future is what you make it. So no, quite the opposite.

They claim to, as part of their codes and rituals and attempts at legitimizing themselves to the rest of the world. They violate most of them. The Disconnection policy itself is inhumane.

On OT VII you are supposed to be auditing yourself in another dimension, at least from what I have read. Clears are supposed to be perfect humans, with no illness, no temptation to commit immoral acts, no physical disabilities and a perfect memory among other things.

Also anyone at any time who feels a feeling of floating has been said to "go exterior" (i.e. leave their body). When you die do the same thing according to the beliefs. As far as being exterior at will you have to do very expensive "special" rundowns called "L-Rundowns" to become "stably exterior". At least they give you a piece of paper that tells you that you are such; a very expensive piece of paper.

:whistling:

Dulloldfart

Squirrel Extraordinaire

5. The theory is there is YOU, and there are these additional pesky little beings (body thetans) that inhabit one's immediate space, and YOU confuse the thoughts and images of these "fleas" with YOU, and adopt their ideas as your own. The upshot of this is that you lose your sense of identity, as there is no real way of "knowing" if it was YOU that thought or intended something, or if it was a NOT-YOU flea.

How an individual reacts to this attack on his very essence varies from person to person. I imagine it has driven some people mad.

Various procedures at OT3 and above are aimed at determining if some bit of energy-consciousness that one's attention is on is really YOU or really a bit of NOT-YOU, and people place a small or great deal of reliance on such determinations.

Hubbard was really very, very skilled at trapping people in his con and extracting money and power from them. Very skilled.

Paul

Dulloldfart

Squirrel Extraordinaire

Someone on ESMB said that normal people have opinions, and Scientologists have references (i.e. citations to where Hubbard said something).

6. No. Hubbard wasn't very big on Fate.

7. Probably very confused from individual to individual, as Hubbard's teachings in the area were confused. He would say how great thetans were, and how awful humans were, with the result that the individual Scio kinda thinks of himself as being above normal humans. There are the PR Scn codes, and most Scios by now will have seen that the cult doesn't follow them — they have not been followed in the individual's observations (friends, family, people he knows or has seen at the org etc).

So an individual may pay lip service to some code seen somewhere about human rights, or think it's a good idea in theory or something, but it will likely conflict with life observations and the conflict will not be resolved while the person remains a true believer.

Paul

Dulloldfart

Squirrel Extraordinaire

8. I think most Scios will know enough "Clears" by now to realise that they are not superbeings. What can a Clear do? There isn't a neat list these days. The chapter in DMSMH from 1950 about eidectic memory and so on is so laughably bullshit that I think Hubbard realised he'd better not be too specific about it!

There are no Scientology "planes" beyond the "theta universe," which isn't too well defined anyway.

Paul

pineapple

Silver Meritorious Patron
2) I am aware that there are levels in Scientology, but I can't seem
to find, like, a PDF or whatever, outlining each one and what is to be achieved
in it. How many are there?
Here's a link to a picture of the current Grade Chart. The chart was introduced in 1965 and has gone through periodic changes over the years, but the basic components remain the same. (I had a link to this handy as I'm trying to explain a bit about scn to a non-scio friend with whom I saw The Master a couple of days ago.) Click the image to expand to full size.
https://whyweprotest.net/community/threads/marty-techy-inside-baseball-but-um-interesting.59758/

There's also this very detailed site on the history of the chart. Maybe too nit-picking and technical.
http://www.wiseoldgoat.com/papers-scientology/hubbard_story_of_mayo3c_grade_chart.html

HelluvaHoax!

Platinum Meritorious Sponsor with bells on

"What other things can clears supposedly do?"

There are superhuman abilities when one is Clear.

I was, in fact, one of the very few & fortunate Scientologists that honestly achieved the state of Clear.

One of the special abilities is perfect memory. There are numerous others that I can't recall at the moment.

lie2meiluvit

Patron with Honors
Thank you for starting this thread Protagonist!
As a person that has never been involved with Scientology, the questions you have asked along with the answers from board members has explained so much about the subject....much more than reading dianetics (which I couldn't get past the first few pages as I found it quite boring). Again...Thank You :thumbsup:

What's It All About

Patron with Honors
The following is my "blog cred" for being on this site (if I need that):

1. My parents had a short acquaintance in the 60s with a famous Scientologist performer. This had a destructive impact on my parents' marriage and also on one of my siblings, from which this sibling has never fully recovered. My sister (who was a child herself at the time) said she was disturbed by the way this person behaved towards her children.

My parents marriage probably would have dissolved without the involvement with this Scientologist, but as it so happens, this performer was one.

2. According to my father, Scientologists then tried to get my mother to join. She didn't. Maybe this performer was reporting back when she found possible future customers for the business (it wasn't a "religion" at that point.) My parents had some money at that point.

3. But she did succumb many decades later to a much smaller cult, which had its own "technology" (i.e. fraudulent way of getting people to buy objects which were supposed to fix what ails ya' and "save" the world) and whose tax exempt status was eventually disallowed in the state in which they were registered.

They moved to a different state and continue to scam people. I suspect that they borrowed quite a bit from Scientology, including their eventual effort to silence, through law suits utilizing the RICO (racketeering) argument, disgruntled former members who started a website to present their unhappy experiences.

4. They got somewhere between two to three million dollars out of her (I didn't do a precise accounting) over twenty years. They did the same with another elderly woman and lots more from people who were sick as well as gullible.

She had a higher degree from an Ivy League university and was very smart, in terms of book learning. So why was she vulnerable?

A. She was lonely and disillusioned about the men in her life, upon whom she had projected her own unrealized ambitions.

B. She was a compassionate person who wanted to "fix" the world and didn't have the energy to do much to fulfill her ambitions for herself. So she designated this cult to do the thinking and "fixing" for her.

C. They made her feel important, vital and that she was an insider who was one of the chosen few who was privy to "The Truth".

D. She had spiritual beliefs that were not well defined but were similar enough to their claims to make her think that what they claimed was possible.

Why do I write all this?

Because her vulnerability to a cult that made silly, excessive claims, borrowed freely from any other movement, spiritual system, self-help system or psychological trend that could be twisted to its self-serving purposes has caused me to question what people why people are vulnerable when they get sucked into the belief system of a cult, a religion, or a psychological theory, etc. to the point of ignoring the fact that they are being exploited.

The obvious and glaring point is the slight-of-hand (or bait-and-switch) that takes place.

You start out with the simple basics: curiosity about our fundamental nature, fear about the present and future and a desire to be important and make a positive difference.

You end up getting utterly sidetracked and befuddled by details that are utterly beside the point of the original motivation for the involvement with the cult, religion, etc.

The overwhelming obsession shown by Scientologists (and you could add fundamental religion participants and extremists of many types) over finger-pointing, "scripture" quoting, endless enumeration of what is going wrong and who causes it and who the ultimately trustworthy source is reveals how utterly the original point has been forgotten.

Namely, we intuitively know that we are not defined by physical bodies. Some of us have evidence of this fact from memories, dreams, near-death experiences, out-of-body experiences, visionary experiences and other ways of direct knowing. Some of us just feel that it's true, without any conscious justification for why we feel this.

We are trying to remember where we come from and where we are going and what our purpose is. It's really simple. The knowledge is within us. It's not in books, lectures, tapes, hypnotic suggestions, coercive persuasion techniques, brainwashing, charismatic leaders, religions, psychology or any man-made theory or product.

But the trick is to find the true information somehow, without getting caught up in dogma, manipulation, exploitation, distraction, deliberate mystification, etc.

I can only say that in my life, the following sources, absorbed over many decades, have helped me to form a fuller picture in answer to the basic quest for understanding:

Through out-of-body experiences and what they can help us learn:

Robert Monroe: Journeys Out of the Body and his other books
William Bulman: Adventures Beyond the Body and his other books

Through trance mediumship (I like the older term, but many call it "channeling".)

Some channeled material is derivative drivel that copies the following:
Jane Roberts: the many Seth material books

Near-death experiences. There are literally thousands of accounts available online for free.

Two of the three authors above-named authors are dead. When alive, they never tried to create cults based on their profound personal explorations into the human physical and spiritual experience. They just lived off of their jobs and their writing. So you don't have to fear getting sucked in to another money/energy pit if you check them out.

I write all this because I feel deep concern, sometimes amounting almost to horror, over what happens to Scientologists, and to countless others as they struggle to gain spiritual understanding in a climate of extreme control over their lives. It's appalling to contemplate what many Scientologists and other members of extremely controlling groups suffer. And the contempt for humanity that's implied by such treatment is profoundly disturbing.

Thank God (by any other name) for the internet and the ease and freedom, relatively speaking, with which we can educate ourselves!

Best wishes to all who come to this and other sites for healing, whether it takes the form of reading, or writing with humor, irreverence, seriousness, sadness, healing, anger or whatever it takes to learn and grow.

Thanks for creating this place for us to communicate! It helps me to comes to terms with the actions of someone I love very much, despite feeling deeply frustrated and distressed by her impulse to trust in what seemed to me to be obvious exploitive nonsense.

What can I do but quote another fictional alien: Live long and prosper!

Hi Tag, glad you joined us! :) I knew a great dog named Tag once!

On #4:

Thetan is not really equivalent to the Christian concept of soul, which Scientologists think is totally bogus and the result of being implanted with false ideas about God, Christ and all religion on a space station far, far away and long ago. (Really, it was just a scary movie to make us feel small!) :ohmy:

The big idea is that you are really a thetan, which is a space alien from human perspective. As a thetan, during a very old galactic war you were hijacked and all sorts of nasty mind altering tortures and implanting of false ideas were done to you and then you were shipped off and locked up in prison, which is called Teegeeack, or the planet earth. :eyeroll: Scientologists think that our wonderful world is a prison planet, and that all beings here are degraded beings, or prisoners.

So how do we get out of the prisons of "our reactive" minds, and no longer be ruled by our evil tendencies? By paying for more and more Scientology processing, of course, in other words, going up the Scientology "Bridge to total freedom". :duh:

While floating around earth, you, as a thetan, decided to "pick up a body" to run, so you now have a genetic entity to deal with as well, the lower quality being or life force that occupies and runs your human body, or IS your human body itself...that concept is a bit confused in Scientology. The part of "you" that is an physical animal species, so to speak.

In addition to your genetic entity and your thetan and your reactive mind (not really sure who that belongs too, maybe the G.E.) you also are under the influence and control of "Body Tetans", called BT's, which huddle and cluster together and cause you illness and stress and all sorts of uncomfortable problems. :omg: You're (and we all are) infested with space cooties! :omg:

These poor old things are other old dead space alien (ghosts) who were so traumatized by the torture at the implant stations that they can't muster up the strength or initiative, or lack awareness to be a free being again and go off and "pick up" their own body to run independently, like you are aspiring to do, as a Scientologist. Only you really want to be able to get "out" of your body "go exterior", as an "Operating Thetan". The aim is to be at cause over MEST, which stands for matter, energy, space and time...sorta kindergarten for an ancient space alien species. But remember, you as a thetan are a survivor of a galactic war, and you were a war prisoner and need to be rehabilitated to "remember" your true self and operate as a thetan, hence operating thetan or "OT" (the upper and very expensive secret levels of Scientology processing, which takes YEARS and most of your money).

I am NOT making this up, it's Scientology dogma! Or close enough to it to make sense from an outsiders point of view. All of this is secret to lower level Scientologists.

I'll answer some of your other questions and write more from the outsider perspective when I have more time.

Last edited: