What's new

Letters to Senators, MP's and Media. March 2010

Kookaburra

Gold Meritorious Patron
Carmel, that is a great letter. It will certainly give them something to think about.

I think that it would be worthwhile to send your emails also to the MPs of the lower house. They do talk to each other and some may have Rudd and Abbots ear.

Yesterday, i sent 74 emails to the Senators of Autralia. Here are the answers i just received.

Dear Michel,

Thank you for your detailed email about your own experiences with Scientology. We believe that any allegations of illegality, abuse, or fraud ,should be handled through the legal system , and not through political enquiries

Senator Claire Moore
Labor Senator for Queensland
P: 07 3252 7101 ║ F: 07 3252 8957 ║
E: [email protected]
www.clairemoore.net

This has been a recurring theme with both the major parties. It is a major cop out. There is no way the police would touch most of this stuff with a ten foot pole. Victims who lie to protect the abuser. People who are trained and drilled to lie effectively and to frame people with planted evidence, then provide a dozen witnesses to verify the framed person is guilty. People who are threatened with loss of their family and livelihood if they report crimes.

The politicians are hoping this will go away. They need to be disabused of the idea that the existing system will handle it. And they need to be told why. This is a worldwide problem. Nowhere does the system handle this sort of thing effectively. It needs nothing short of a senate enquiry, and a very thorough one at that.

Please everyone, include something on this point in your letters. It is our next hurdle.

If you are writing from overseas, be sure an tell them that Scientology runs on the same policy worldwide and is tightly controlled from a central Int management, and that the same abuses are occuring worldwide.

I cannot stress how important your letters are at this time.

moarxenu

Patron with Honors
Repost to ESK and OCMB pl0x

Carmel, this is absolutely magnificent! Your request needs to be posted to ESK and ESMB immediately.

I also recommend ANZO exes follow-up by calling their Senators and begin to build relationships with their staffers. They all have staff specialized in health and mental health issues and family affairs. Their support would be invaluable.

There are a few things that really stood out for me.

1. These abuses will not end with government inquiry. Criminal investigation looks to the past and will do nothing to dismantle an organized crime operation traumatizing individuals as a matter of core, institutionalized practices.

2. Attempted dog poisoning - I am glad you shared this. It is a vivid example of the psychopathic cruelty of OSA. It is also of a piece with the poisoning of Judge Breckenridge's dog and the attempted poisoning of Boris Corszak's dog.

Also, I am wondering what anons can do on this. Anon is a voice crying in the wilderness crying out "Prepare the way for the Exes." Seeing exes increasingly speak out after two years of relentless Anon raiding is a great joy to us. Is there a way we can help in this effort ?

Panda Termint

Cabal Of One
As far as I can see there are > 10X more Exes in ANZO than there are currently practicing scientologists.

I think the atmosphere being generated by Senator Xenophon and his supporters, the recent Media and protesting Anons is helping the Exes realise that the way has been prepared.

Expect many more stories from Exes in the coming months, we are also legion.

Cherished

Silver Meritorious Patron
Petey Cougar, I imagine lots of people would love to see those docs once they're scanned. If you're willing, do set the "free"!

Free to shine

Shiny & Free
A nice reply from the Office of Senator Bob Brown:

Thank you for your e-mail.

The Green Senators voted in support of Senator Xenophon’s motion.

For your information I have attached a Hansard extract of Senator Brown’s speech insupport of the motion.

Regards

John Dodd

Office of Senator Bob Brown
-------------------------------

Senator BOB BROWN (Tasmania) (Leader of the Australian Greens) (10:49 AM) —I would like to say a few words on this motion. I am surprised that the opposition has no contribution to the debate and I hope I may be able to evoke some. I thank Senator Xenophon for bringing forward this motion—

Senator Chris Evans —Evoke or provoke?

Senator BOB BROWN —Evoke. I thank Senator Xenophon for his work in presenting this very worthwhile proposal to the Senate, as he outlined. This is not about the charitable sector, which is what the government has just spoken about. This is about dangerous cults who take over people’s lives, manipulate them, make lots of money out of them and cut across the lives of vulnerable people who want to find fulfilment in the widest sense of the word. It is about the entrapment of people by sects that take over their lives, their livelihoods and their families and interfere with people’s ability to find the greatest expression of their talents, their fulfilment and their dreams and desires in life.

Scientology» is such a group. I am grateful to Senator Milne for this extract from a «Scientology» website, where the sect puts forward the belief that ‘the health and sanity of the child begin long before birth’. You cannot go past a newsstand at the moment without seeing that Katie Holmes, the film star, is being sent to «Scientology» boot camp. Apparently, the sessions at boot camp are designed to reveal any ‘hidden crimes’ that a person made in their past lives that may be affecting what is going on at the moment. Sure, we can all debate whether past lives have an effect on us and so on, or whether we have got future and past lives; that is part of the human condition. But when people are sent to camps where they are deprived of wider intercourse with society, where their mind and guilt button are to be reformulated by somebody who thinks they know better—Mr Hubbard, for example—we have to worry about it greatly.

Even then our society is a free, open and democratic one where beliefs and ideas are expressed to the fullest. But should taxpayers be supporting the promotion of cults, which the Prime Minister himself has designated as dangerous, like the Exclusive Brethren and the Scientologists, to the extent of millions of dollars in forgone taxes so that they can put upon people in this sort of fashion? Let us have a look at it.

Senator Xenophon has called for a reference to the Economics References Committee by the Senate to look at the appropriateness of applying the public benefit test currently in place in the UK on such organisations. I think that good charities—and the word ‘charity’ means helping other people—are actually besmirched by the activities of dangerous cults like «Scientology» and Exclusive Brethren. I do object, and I know that many other Australians object, to millions of dollars being siphoned off to these organisations from the public purse because we have not refined our ability to say that a dangerous cult ought not be getting that money. The Exclusive Brethren I have spoken about in this place before comes into this category too. It is one that cuts across people’s lives to damage their relationship with their kith and kin, because of somebody else’s belief system not because of that person’s own belief or behaviour. That is very worrying about «Scientology.

I congratulate Senator Xenophon for the very measured way in which he has had the gumption to bring before this Senate and this parliament the concern of many Australians about what Scientologists are doing. Very often bright young people who are vulnerable have their lives knocked sideways by these somewhat crazy ideas of Ron Hubbard, as if his intergalactic theories are a truth which people should accept and, if they do not, they should be punished by going to boot camp. Surely we are beyond that and surely we are not going to have taxpayers’ money funding that, and I am pre-empting what I think an inquiry would find here.

We have had no adequate explanation from the government as to why it is not supporting this. There will be people in the wider charitable sector worried by such an inquiry. Maybe governments are going to start to levy conditions which might threaten genuine charitable organisations. I do not think so. We should not be frightened of this. We have got the common sense to be able to define and look at tests which separate genuine charitable and community and non-government organisations from dangerous, mind-bending cults, which end up causing havoc, distress, unhappiness and such things as abortions for people who are being directed by what they think is an authority greater than themselves, and which of course is nothing of the sort.

Because the big parties continue to line up against it, I am very concerned that this chamber and this parliament are failing to act in an area where good governance is required. The debate about Scientologists in Germany has led to a much better outcome, I think. They stopped short of banning the organisation, although that was very much on the parliamentary agenda, but they have debated it in full. I think the same should be occurring here. We should not simply move onto the other side of the road or turn our backs on very fine Australians, particularly a lot of young Australians, who fall prey to dangerous cults like the Scientologists or who are locked up, separated from their families by warped organisations like the Exclusive Brethren. I support this inquiry.

Outethicsofficer

Silver Meritorious Patron
Good on you Carmel this is the very right thing to do.

We are following up with people we know encouraging them to report to authorities and the Senators.

James