What's new

Lisa Marie Presley Has Left Scientology!

BunnySkull

Silver Meritorious Patron

Thanks for posting it. Still a bit confused, I had never seen the shirt before and besides the graphics being a bit of a mess that font is hard to read. To me it says "You can think that I'm CULT and off the rails... but you haven't seen nothing yet."

I guess the hard to read font of cult could also be "evil" but I'm having a hard stretch to see that "E". Weird. Obviously the sentence would make more grammatical sense if the word was "evil." Of course, I work with a lot of font and design and I HATE MESSY FONTS. Ugh.

Can't LMP just be straightforward and direct about any of this shit regarding Scientology? It's quite exasperating.

TG1

Angelic Poster
Bunny, the actual song lyric is "evil," but her on-stage reference to the tee-shirt was "cult." So, clearly, the typography is meant to convey a dual / loaded meaning.

For whatever reasons, she's enjoying being pretty "1.1" about this. Honestly, I am sort of digging it. I see it as her playing the cult. And the mystery of it all certainly benefits her by keeping media attention on her for longer.

I think she'll eventually be explicit about how she feels. But she may be waiting for the cult to be even weaker than it is now to say so.

I have no idea how the Elvis Presley Estate is now controlled -- whether her mother still mainly controls it or whether Lisa shares control with her mother. It's also possible that is an element in Lisa's decision about how to communicate right now about her decision.

Purple Rain

Crusader
Bunny, the actual song lyric is "evil," but her on-stage reference to the tee-shirt was "cult." So, clearly, the typography is meant to convey a dual / loaded meaning.

For whatever reasons, she's enjoying being pretty "1.1" about this. Honestly, I am sort of digging it. I see it as her playing the cult. And the mystery of it all certainly benefits her by keeping media attention on her for longer.

I think she'll eventually be explicit about how she feels. But she may be waiting for the cult to be even weaker than it is now to say so.

I have no idea how the Elvis Presley Estate is now controlled -- whether her mother still mainly controls it or whether Lisa shares control with her mother. It's also possible that is an element in Lisa's decision about how to communicate right now about her decision.

Yes, well I think Leah's family situation makes all the difference in the world about having the freedom to let rip. Half of Lisa Marie's family is still in there. And even if there is not a financial dependency, you still only get one mother in this world. No matter how fraught that relationship may be - people still WANT to have a relationship with their mothers generally, and preferably want it to be good. But people also tend to rule out the fact that her two eldest kids are Scientologists. One foot wrong and bye-bye kids. And I think, the fact that she telephoned her son, Benjamin Storm, to make sure he heard her singing Storm and Grace, shows how much that bond means to her. I think he may be her only son, is that right?

Sindy

Crusader
I'm proud to be walking around in her evil/cult t-shirt! It's a fundamental part of my enturbulation wardrobe!

Enturbulation wardrobe?!? Dang. That's such a good phrase.

That's like, "Did you read Enturbulation Wardrobe? It was spellbinding."

"Hey, do you want to go down to the club? Enturbulation Wardrobe's playing.

"That's off their new album, Enturbulation Wardrobe."

Sindy

Crusader

I thought Lisa totally controlled his estate.

This article from 2004 says she sold his estate

http://www.people.com/people/article/0,,1008740,00.html

Last edited:

Purple Rain

Crusader
Enturbulation wardrobe?!? Dang. That's such a good phrase.

That's like, "Did you read Enturbulation Wardrobe? It was spellbinding."

"Hey, do you want to go down to the club? Enturbulation Wardrobe's playing.

"That's off their new album, Enturbulation Wardrobe."

I think it works best as the album name, but it does sound cool. If her next album is called Enturbulation Wardrobe we'll know she reads ESMB! Lol!

Telepathetic

Gold Meritorious Patron
Thanks for posting it. Still a bit confused, I had never seen the shirt before and besides the graphics being a bit of a mess that font is hard to read. To me it says "You can think that I'm CULT and off the rails... but you haven't seen nothing yet."

I guess the hard to read font of cult could also be "evil" but I'm having a hard stretch to see that "E". Weird. Obviously the sentence would make more grammatical sense if the word was "evil." Of course, I work with a lot of font and design and I HATE MESSY FONTS. Ugh.

Can't LMP just be straightforward and direct about any of this shit regarding Scientology? It's quite exasperating.

Dammit! Don't ruin the foreplay!

TP

Telepathetic

Gold Meritorious Patron
She's slowly caressing her fans, the world and us, the EXes! She drops little tickling hints...that arose the imagination! She's coy and that, that is what allures us evermore so to her, the Enchantress.

I never liked this bitch before, but, since she's left the cult ,I've become enamored with her...I love her.

TP

NxdBSC

Patron

She controls Graceland and its artifcats. She has never been fully involved with the other affrairs.

Putting rumors to rest
Elvis' only daughter, Graceland's sole owner, is emphatic about sharing one important message with fans and followers of the Presley family. "Sometimes there are rumors about it (Graceland) being sold," she says, "and that is NEVER going to happen. There's always a rumor. It is NOT getting sold. Graceland was given to me and will always be mine and then passed to my children," she says. "It will never be sold."

http://www.wbir.com/story/life/music/2013/09/15/presley-dispels-graceland-rumors/2816095/

NxdBSC

Patron

The lyric is evil and off the rails so its most def supposed to be that. the cult is just one of those ambirgrams I suppose.

BunnySkull

Ah, I see, I wasn't aware of the song lyrics. Makes much more sense now. However, I think she may just be milking this for the attention - it has got her more attention that anything else of late AND she seems to be fond of publicity stunts (Marriage to MJ or Nic Cage anyone?) IDK, unlike most celebrities that are in fear of their career being damaged - LMP is independently wealthy thanks to Dad. Her career is more of a hobby or at least that's now it comes off. She has the type of financial power and independence she could go off like a fire hose on the cult IF she wanted. I guess her mother could have something to do with it, but I hope her Daddy's words about Scientology keep echoing in her head. "Sons of bitches just want my money" )

She basically sold "licensing rights" to his image and name. The actual physical estate - Graceland - she still owns. Also, IIRC Elvis like most musicians, got screwed by his manager ("colonel" tom, pretty much a two bit circus hustler) and record company - therefore RCA OWNS all of Elvis's music. But image rights has come into its own as an incredibly valuable part of a celebrity's legacy - esp someone as iconic as Elvis.

I can understand selling the licensing rights - that would be a big burden to "merchandize" your dead father and try to keep some dignity to the enterprise.

Sindy

Crusader
Ah, I see, I wasn't aware of the song lyrics. Makes much more sense now. However, I think she may just be milking this for the attention - it has got her more attention that anything else of late AND she seems to be fond of publicity stunts (Marriage to MJ or Nic Cage anyone?) IDK, unlike most celebrities that are in fear of their career being damaged - LMP is independently wealthy thanks to Dad. Her career is more of a hobby or at least that's now it comes off. She has the type of financial power and independence she could go off like a fire hose on the cult IF she wanted. I guess her mother could have something to do with it, but I hope her Daddy's words about Scientology keep echoing in her head. "Sons of bitches just want my money" )

She basically sold "licensing rights" to his image and name. The actual physical estate - Graceland - she still owns. Also, IIRC Elvis like most musicians, got screwed by his manager ("colonel" tom, pretty much a two bit circus hustler) and record company - therefore RCA OWNS all of Elvis's music. But image rights has come into its own as an incredibly valuable part of a celebrity's legacy - esp someone as iconic as Elvis.

I can understand selling the licensing rights - that would be a big burden to "merchandize" your dead father and try to keep some dignity to the enterprise.

Thank you but it is essentially Lisa Marie in charge I understand. Right?

Type4_PTS

Diamond Invictus SP

Here's some info from the Wikipedia link on Lisa Marie:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lisa_Marie_Presley

Elvis Presley estate

After Elvis' death at Graceland on 16 August 1977, his will appointed his father, Vernon Presley, executor and trustee. His fortune had dwindled to only $5 million.[SUP][60][/SUP] The beneficiaries of the trust were Vernon, Elvis' grandmother Minnie Mae Presley, and his nine-year-old daughter Lisa Marie Presley, whose inheritance was to be held in trust until her twenty-fifth birthday.[SUP][61][/SUP] After Vernon's death in 1979, Elvis' ex-wife Priscilla Presley was named as one of three trustees in his will; the others being the National Bank of Commerce in Memphis, and Joseph Hanks, who had been Elvis and Vernon's accountant.[SUP][61][/SUP] With Minnie Mae's passing in 1980, Lisa Marie became the only surviving beneficiary named in Elvis's will.[SUP][61]
[/SUP]

On her 25th birthday in 1993, Lisa Marie inherited Elvis' estate, which, thanks largely to the stewardship of her mother, Priscilla, had grown to an estimated $100 million.[SUP][62]
[/SUP]

In 1998, Lisa became more closely involved with the management team of The Elvis Presley Trust and its business entity, Elvis Presley Enterprises, Inc.(EPE). She was owner and Chairman of the Board until February 2005, when she sold 85 percent of the estate's business holdings to CKX, Inc., excluding Graceland itself and the property within it.[SUP][61]
[/SUP]

Lisa Marie Presley continues to be involved, as does her mother Priscilla. Lisa Marie Presley retains 100% sole personal ownership of Graceland Mansion itself and its over 13-acre original grounds and her father's personal effects – meaning costumes, wardrobe, awards, furniture, cars, etc. She has made the mansion property and her father's personal effects permanently available for tours of Graceland and for use in all of EPE's operations.[SUP][63]

[/SUP]
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lisa_Marie_Presley

BunnySkull

LMP now only owns the physical estate of Graceland and other personal possessions of her father -- she sold her large interest in the licensing of his image and name to the corporate entity CKX. She has never had any control over his music.

Basically she now is just the steward of Graceland, and keeping the estate/property as a shrine and museum to her father.

Lulu Belle

Moonbat
However, I think she may just be milking this for the attention - it has got her more attention that anything else of late AND she seems to be fond of publicity stunts (Marriage to MJ or Nic Cage anyone?)

I agree. I still don't think she's out.

I know that that Scn Celeb Blog from a few months ago turned out to be a hoax but what they said there about her really sounds true. She had a hissy fit, people at CC got reamed about it, there was much kissing of her ass and she calmed down.

That aligns pretty much with most Scn celebs.

Purple Rain

Crusader
However, I think she may just be milking this for the attention - it has got her more attention that anything else of late AND she seems to be fond of publicity stunts (Marriage to MJ or Nic Cage anyone?)

Yeah, because it's so unlikely that she would really think Scientology was evil or a cult....

BunnySkull

Yeah, because it's so unlikely that she would really think Scientology was evil or a cult....

I think it's even more unlikely that thousands of people will sigh billion year contracts and devote their lives to the teachings of a two bit sci-fi writer and conman, but yet here we are.

However, I didn't say she didn't think Scientology was an evil cult, but regardless of what she thinks, she can still be milking it for PR value. In fact, it has gotten her more positive ink than she's got in the previous decade combined. The unknown keeps the tounges wagging, when they get quiet just drop a few more cryptic hints and they wag all over again.
PR 101.

NxdBSC

Patron
She's out. If this were for publicity she would have milked it. She doesn't want to talk about it. Scientology is banned from her interviews. If it were for publicity she would have done what Leah remini is doing. IMO Leah is doing it more for publicity. Lisa lives a very private life and wants to keep it that way. She doesn't make music for money. She stands by letting her lyrics tell the story. And they do.

This is beating a dead horse but she married Michael Jackson because she loved him. His intentions may not have been the same, but she genuinely loved that man.

Purple Rain

Crusader
I think it's even more unlikely that thousands of people will sigh billion year contracts and devote their lives to the teachings of a two bit sci-fi writer and conman, but yet here we are.

However, I didn't say she didn't think Scientology was an evil cult, but regardless of what she thinks, she can still be milking it for PR value. In fact, it has gotten her more positive ink than she's got in the previous decade combined. The unknown keeps the tounges wagging, when they get quiet just drop a few more cryptic hints and they wag all over again.
PR 101.

I think it's far more likely that other people go after her because she's Elvis' daughter than her going after others for publicity. She's hardly gone after publicity her whole life that I've noticed. It must be hard being an heiress and never knowing for sure if your guy is really in love with you or in love with your money, let alone knowing if they'd be just as into you if you weren't the daughter of The King.

You can never judge a relationship from the outside really, so why not give the person the benefit of the doubt? Only the two people involved can truly know that. And frankly, I'm not at all surprised that she was attracted to Nicolas Cage. He'd be just as hot as a 'nobody'. And Michael Jackson, who knows? A lot of people had a really soft spot for him, like Elizabeth Taylor. Perhaps she saw something in him or thought she could help him? Who knows? I've been divorced twice. It can happen to anyone, especially in celebrity circles.

Also, this is all old news to the point where most people are not even sure that she's left. She's hardly been using it for publicity. Just because you missed it does not make it 'new' news.

From my perspective she was targeted cold-bloodedly by the cult when she was just a kid and powerless to reject it. She's obviously been quite hurt and scarred if you read the lyrics to her songs and the interviews surrounding them. Basically she's been more hurt by it probably than most ordinary Scientologists - finding out that everybody she trusted was spying on her for the cult. Usually you are only fair-gamed like that after you leave, but for a celebrity it happens the whole time only you aren't yet aware of it.

I'm sure she's imperfect. I'm sure she's been a bitch to some people who will never forget it. But on the whole I don't see why she doesn't deserve as much respect and benefit of the doubt as any other ex-Scientologist. It would obviously help her credibility to get rid of the CCHR link from her website, but maybe she still thinks it's a good thing. Maybe she's still decompressing. Who knows?