What's new

Lisa Marie Presley Has Left Scientology!

bluewiggirl

Patron Meritorious
Celebrities have a lot to answer for, but it's hard for me to believe that anyone allowed them to see how badly the other members of the church were suffering while they were in. There's so much emphasis put on getting celebrities in and keeping them in, it would be a huge mess for them if some well-meaning actors and actresses actually saw what was going on.

Also, cut the woman some slack. It takes time to digest leaving the cult (if she has).

Wisened One

Crusader
To me it takes a lot of prior work to get a person conned enough to where he/she accepts the OT levels at face value. And then there are so many others around who have done them the doubts you do have get diminished by continually hearing how amazing the next level will be.

Plus they see everything in absolutely ideal circumstances: the best auditors and auditing rooms, no waiting, no intense regging - but for these guys 100K is pocket change anyway. The whole point is that this select few will have a totally positive experience and see none of the negatives so that when they go on camera and talk about scn, they have genuinely no idea why people would attack it except for the govt/psych conspiracy theories that they are taught is the real reason for all attacks. In reality these people are being played like violins.

Here, here, Well-said! :clap: :yes: It's also more impressive and brave of those celebs/VIP's that wake up and have the courage and fortitude to leave cushy-gold-leafed scn! :thumbsup: Oh the stories THEY can tell here.....

Wisened One

Crusader
Celebrities have a lot to answer for, but it's hard for me to believe that anyone allowed them to see how badly the other members of the church were suffering while they were in. There's so much emphasis put on getting celebrities in and keeping them in, it would be a huge mess for them if some well-meaning actors and actresses actually saw what was going on.

Also, cut the woman some slack. It takes time to digest leaving the cult (if she has).
Of course. I do apologize to you, Lisa, if you are out there and come upon this!

We ARE here for you (and anyone celeb or non)! :yes: Please realize that! :yes:

Alanzo

Bardo Tulpa
To me it takes a lot of prior work to get a person conned enough to where he/she accepts the OT levels at face value. And then there are so many others around who have done them the doubts you do have get diminished by continually hearing how amazing the next level will be.

Plus they see everything in absolutely ideal circumstances: the best auditors and auditing rooms, no waiting, no intense regging - but for these guys 100K is pocket change anyway. The whole point is that this select few will have a totally positive experience and see none of the negatives so that when they go on camera and talk about scn, they have genuinely no idea why people would attack it except for the govt/psych conspiracy theories that they are taught is the real reason for all attacks. In reality these people are being played like violins.

Yeah, but when your own name is being used - don't you think you should look into things a little more closely?

Wouldn't you feel a sense of responsibility that people were not being tricked through the use of you?

Martini

Patron Meritorious
The make-wrong of Lisa or any celebrity for being hood-winked is unnecessary.

They are given a Truman Show far more powerful and intoxicating than the one others receive.

Let's just hope the rumor is true. It would be a major blow to the church.

lionheart

Gold Meritorious Patron
One thing I don't get in this discussion about how Lisa Marie wouldn't know the real scene in scientology.

Many years ago I understood that Lisa Marie was in the Sea Org at the time. Is that not correct?

I remember an article about Elvis' fans being concerned his money was going to the cult and it described how Lisa Marie was a member of the Sea Org. It described her sea org routine.

Was this a false report?

If not, then surely if she was once in the SO, she must have known the real scene when she later took services as a celeb?

Wisened One

Crusader
The make-wrong of Lisa or any celebrity for being hood-winked is unnecessary.

They are given a Truman Show far more powerful and intoxicating than the one others receive.

Let's just hope the rumor is true. It would be a major blow to the church.

I agree!

Wisened One

Crusader
One thing I don't get in this discussion about how Lisa Marie wouldn't know the real scene in scientology.

Many years ago I understood that Lisa Marie was in the Sea Org at the time. Is that not correct?

I remember an article about Elvis' fans being concerned his money was going to the cult and it described how Lisa Marie was a member of the Sea Org. It described her sea org routine.

Was this a false report?

If not, then surely if she was once in the SO, she must have known the real scene when she later took services as a celeb?

Really? Lisa in the SO? :ohmy: Is there a Celeb SO? (Heard that JT also wanted to join and lrh gave him an honorary membership and told him how his hat as an SO Member would be better served as a Celeb than joining full-on 'real' SO. Bet TC's fancying himself in it, too!). Maybe Lisa joined the 'same'.

lionheart

Gold Meritorious Patron
The article didn't describe it as a celeb SO post. It was a long time ago, whe she was a young woman/teenager, but it described her as a chunky SO member in a uniform. I seem to remember it implied that her mother was concerned about her and Elvis fans were worried that as an SO member she was going to give all her inheritance from Elvis to the cult.

Once she was many years later touted as a scn celeb, Mrs L and I just assumed that she had routed out, and had become a scn celeb instead.

But the original press report could have been false. But we've always assumed it was true.

Surely someone on ESMB will know if she is ex-SO?

Thrak

Gold Meritorious Patron
Yeah, but when your own name is being used - don't you think you should look into things a little more closely?

Wouldn't you feel a sense of responsibility that people were not being tricked through the use of you?

Amazingly they got a lot of us to not look.

Bea Kiddo

Crusader
The problem is this:

Lisa Marie Presley has used her name to recruit people into an abusive cult, and has done nothing to fix that.

In my opinion, as a public figure she deserves what she gets until she makes it right.

Sorry, but that's how I see it with all Scientology celebrities now.

It was never OK to hold your privileged position in the Church, and then look the other way from the abuses which were being waged like an onslaught all around you against the rights of Scientologists.

You are not Marie Antoinette.

Or are you?

Who did she bring in?

Alanzo, who did you bring in, and how did you make it right?

Thrak

Gold Meritorious Patron
Who did she bring in?

Alanzo, who did you bring in, and how did you make it right?

Well I saw her bring in Marilyn Manson with my own eyes but that never went anywhere. But regardless of who they actually walk in the door, the fact that they are there and stand behind scn is a big reason many get in. L Con knew what he was doing when he thought up this celebrity thing if he was the one to think it up. The fact that JT and Chick Corea were in had a big impact on me.

Type4_PTS

Diamond Invictus SP
I had a brief encounter with her around 1986 when she was 17 or 18 at the time. After leaving Boston staff in 1986 I worked very briefly for the Manor Hotel (where celebrity center was located). I served her a coffee and hamburg while working on the canteen out in the courtyard. She asked how much it was and when I told her I said something like "isn't that a good deal?" or something like that. She looked at me funny for a second and we laughed.

Anyways, I agree with Blue and some of you others.........I think we should cut her some slack. For most all of us who were IN and got out it wasn't an easy process, and won't be any easier for her with the tabloid media and all that. Celebrities in Scn ARE treated differently, and we don't know exactly what she was aware of. Even though I've been out myself for 20+ years now I didn't (until very recently) believe some of the crazy stuff I heard (beatings, musical chairs, etc) about what was going on at the Int Base as I never witnessed anything remotely approaching that type of thing on staff. I was briefly in the sea org in clearwater and on the RPF, and saw some insanity as far as how some personnel were treated at Flag, but never saw any physical abuse during my 10 years in scn and didn't believe it when I first saw stories about it. (I do now after watching the video of Marty and Amy in the St Pete Times videos, and reading other stories here!)
None of us would have ever gotten in nor stayed in had we known back then what we know now, and I'm sure it is the same for her (or will be).

I hope the rumor is true and she really IS out!

Lisa Marie..............if you're out there somewhere reading this........
:welcome:

Ladybird

Silver Meritorious Patron
Lisa Marie was in the HCI in the early 80's. All the staff were gaga over her. I don't remember her ever joining the Sea Org. I am sorry for everyone I ever recruited, even though at the time I was a true believer (deluded adherent) and had the best of intentions. But that is not the same as being a worldwide celebrity like Lisa Marie. Look at the millions of people who throng around every thing celebrities say. Maybe she was just born in to her celebrity, but she does have a responsibity to know how her words affect others.

I hope she speaks out.

Here is one of many things Hubbard said about how to use celebrities to recruit:

From a post by the late Robert Vaugh Young
from his "For -Ever-Lines
Posted SEpt 27, l997
Hubbard names celebrities as "quarry" to be "hunted"

I made reference in another post to an early L. Ron Hubbard issue about
his view of celebrities. I found it. Because of the interest in
Scientology's use of celebrities to front for the organization, and
because of the importance of this directive he wrote in forming the basis
of Scientology's search for celebriteis, I want to pass this on. It also
shows how Hubbard viewed them, meaning how they are viewed today.

"Project Celebrity" appeared in the "Ability" newsletter (Minor II - a
complicated designation LRH gave to his in-house magazines) that was
issued in early 1955. (There is promotion for an upcoming "Congress" on
June 3-5 to be held in Phoenix, Arizona.)

In it, LRH announces "Project Celebrity" to find celebrities. "It is
obvious what would happen to Scientology if prime communicators benefiting
from it would mention it now and then," LRH says. So he offers a list of
celebrities and says to write and say which one the reader wants. "We will
then allocate this person to you as your game," Hubbard says.

Hubbard goes on to say, "Having been awarded one of these celebrities, it
will be up to you to learn what you can about your quarry and then put
yourself at every hand across his or her path, and not permitting
discouragements or 'no's' or clerks or secretaries to intervene, in days
or weeks or months," to get them into an auditing session.

Hubbard says all costs for the hunt are to be borne by the hunter assigned
the celebrity. But he will "Award the celebrity to you as your quarry" and
give you exclusive hunting rights. "If you want one of these celebrities
as your game, write us at once so the notable will be yours to hunt
without interference." He also offers two weeks of "special coaching" in
Phoenix, if you pay for the trip there and your own living expenses.

Hubbard warns, "These celebrities are well guarded, well barricaded,
over-worked, aloof quarry." But, if you are successful, "If you bring one
of them home you will get a small plaque as your reward."

In reading Hubbard's list of celebrity "quarry," remember, this is 1955 so
many names will be unfamiliar to many but it is an impressive list. Had
Hubbard gained even a small percentage from the list, he would have made
headway. However, there is no record that even one of these "quarry" were
turned or captured.

Here are Hubbrd's celebrity "quarry" for 1955:

Walter Winchell
Edward R. Murrow
Ed Sullivan
Marlene Dietrich
Robert Q. Lewis
Orson Welles
Ernest Hemmingway
Danny Kaye
Joseph Alsop
Stewart Alsop
Sid Caesar
Louella Parsons
Liberace
Walt Kelly
Charles Laughton
Gaylord Hauser
Eric Johnson
Fred Allen
Harry Seeger
John Ford
Elliott White Springs [sic]
Gabriel Heatter
Arthur Godfrey
George Gobel
Fulton J. Sheen
James Stewart
Howard Hughes
Philip Wylie
Billy Graham
Hedda Hopper
Bob Hope
Artie Shaw
Pablo Picasso
Al Capp
Walt Disney
Milton Berle
Duncan Hines
Dorothy Kilgallen
Gene Fowler
Jimmy Hatlo
Gordon MacRae
Jackie Gleason
Lowell Thomas
Frank Edwards
Joe Lewis
Vincent Price
Red Skelton
Joshua Logan
Henry Luce
Walter Lippman
Groucho Marx
Darryl Zanuck
Cecil B. DeMille
Leopold Stokowski
Arturo Toscanini
Bing Crosby
Edward G. Robinson
Greta Garbo
Robert C. Ruark
Earle Stanley Gardner
Charles Addams
Robert Montgomery
Donald O'Conner
-end of list-

After four decades, one can look back with some amusement (e.g., at the
idea that someone was going to convert Bishop Fulton Sheen or Evangelist
Billy Graham) or see the ironies of history, e.g., Hubbard came to hate
Henry Luce, the head of Time/Life. Merely note that if you know who these
people were/are and categorize them into their areas of influence
(entertainment, arts, media, finance, religion, etc.), it gives insight
into what Hubbard was trying to do and what Miscavige is now doing with
John Travolta, Chick Corea, etc. (Also note that political figures were
absent. Hubbard was not ignorant of their importance but the plan was
clearly to get the celebs first, just as they are doing today.)

In the next issue of "Ability," Hubbard added a note about "Project
Celebrity" in which he "assures all hunters that reports, names, progress,
and all other material" will not be published. To the "hunters," he wishes
"excellent hunting." And then, with Hubbard's typical sense of
self-importance, he adds, "To the celebrities who have been chosen we
extend our congratulations."

Hubbard closes by saying these people have tried various forms of therapy
and not only need Scientology auditing but "THEY ARE KEENLY AWARE of the
need for auditing." (Hubbard's caps.) Thus, "You might as well be informed
of this fact - that your quarry is looking for you, a lot harder than you
are looking for him. Might as well give the guy a hand."

Makes one wonder if Celebrity Center should be renamed, "Quarry Center."

Robert Vaughn Young

dontscamme

Patron Meritorious
Here is a brief article from Rick Ross 7 years ago about Elvis' disdain for Scn.

http://www.cultnews.com/archives/000341.html

:: September 30, 2002 ::
Elvis didn't like Scientology

According to two books Elvis Presley apparently couldn't stand Scientology.

However, his ex-wife Priscilla and daughter/heir Lisa Marie are both now Scientologists and relentlessly promote the group.

Priscilla Presley seemed to disregard history when she recently discussed her ex-husband, insinuating that he had no experience with Scientology, reports MSNBC.

But Elvis did have extensive exposure to the organization and concluded, "These [Scientologists] want to control your mind, I think, so I'd never be interested in anything like that," according to the book "Child Bride: The Untold Story of Priscilla Beaulieu Presley" by Suzanne Finstad. The King is also quoted to have said, "They're just after my money and my name."

In a strange twist it seems that Scientology eventually got both the Presley name and at least some of Elvis' money, well that is posthumously.

And what would Elvis say if he could see what is happening now? One old friend quoted within the book "Elvis Aaron Presley: Revelations From the Memphis Mafia" says that he would "shit a brick."

[Posted by Rick Ross at 09:54 AM]

Just because the cult sucks up to them as celebs doesn't mean we have to. I am not saying they are be treated unfairly or unreasonably.
They might not see all the "outnesses" that "normal people do, but they can see BS if they are in for an extended time. Jason B saw the BS. JT saw it (ref; "Rolling Stone article 1983/4?).

If celebs did OT 3 and above, they really would get a lot of respect if they came out and said;
"Very sorry, but it is about exorcising space cooties and I apologise for allowing my celebrity status to be used to get the general public into that"

They could apologise for more if they bothered to ask more questions about their "religion". They stay silent to protect their reputation. Saying something would get them more respect.