Louis Theroux' Scientology documentary to premiere

HelluvaHoax!

Platinum Meritorious Sponsor with bells on

Overall great article but this last sentence bothers me somewhat. :ohmy:

But I also see Scientology as not so different from other religions: a set of beliefs and practices that, at their very heart, are mysterious and have to be taken on faith – and which, for that reason, can be life-giving and offer people hope in ways that reasoning and logic cannot.

Yeah, it bothers me too--a lot, LOL.

Because it is amateurish bullshit, written by someone who doesn't have a clue about Scientology's "set of beliefs and practices" that are, in fact, something quite horribly different than other religions "taken on faith".

For starters, one can take any belief "on faith" from any religion and it does not cost a half-million dollars. That's a business, not a religion. Religions don't charge people a half-million dollars to find out what their beliefs are. Insanity.

I hardly know where to begin on the other utter lack of comprehension about Scientology that would be required to not know that they threaten, intimidate, lie, defame, criminally frame, trick, imprison, beat, terrorize and destroy people simply for disagreeing or exposing the lies/fraud of L. Ron Hubbard and his assigns.

If someone is going to go to the trouble of writing about Scientology or creating a film about it, they should spend the first few hours of their research listening and understanding what EX SCIENTOLOGISTS have to say before they foolishly think they can decipher the cult's black ops, facades, front groups and lofty sounding codes and creeds. If you miss that intimidation, terrorism, crimes, lying, black ops & fair game are the actual and core "beliefs & practices" of the Scientology religion, then you have missed the entire point of the exercise.

That statement (above in blue) is ludicrous and evidences a reckless disregard for first learning about the subject one is touting their scholarship on.

Last edited:

Veda

Sponsor
tellmewhatzapcomics.jpg

From what I can see of this at this time, the documentary misses the religious cloaking (of a predatory racket) aspect and misses the mind control (hidden in a self help/therapy) aspect.

Once the bubbly excitement of "Oh! A documentary on Scientology!" passes, what's left?

Eh.

George Layton

Silver Meritorious Patron
From the link:

Louis is about 1/4 way into the onion.

But still, I gots to see this movie :dancer:

I'm curious to see how many practicing scientologists will believe his comments mean there will be a positive spin to the movie and decide to watch it.

HelluvaHoax!

tellmewhatzapcomics.jpg

From what I can see of this at this time, the documentary misses the religious cloaking (of a predatory racket) aspect and misses the mind control (hidden in a self help/therapy) aspect.

Once the bubbly excitement of "Oh! A documentary on Scientology!" passes, what's left?

Eh.

:hysterical:

Hey, there's a great new documentary expose on ISIS. It really blows the lid off that operation.

The film concludes that ISIS (being an Islamic-valued organization and because Islam is a "religion of peace") is therefore the same as all other religions, humanitarian and spiritually uplifting.

In the closing credits the filmmaker noted that he attempted to interview ex-ISIS members (Apostates) but that none could be located. By this, he concluded that ISIS members are extremely happy and never leave.[SUP]1[/SUP]

[SUP]1[/SUP] Other crank sources claimed that all of the ISIS apostates were beheaded, burned and the ashes dropped at sea. But none of those claimants presented the bodies for autopsy, so such claims were determined to be without merit.

Victoria

Patron Meritorious

Yeah, it bothers me too--a lot, LOL.

Because it is amateurish bullshit, written by someone who doesn't have a clue about Scientology's "set of beliefs and practices" that are, in fact, something quite horribly different than other religions "taken on faith".

For starters, one can take any belief "on faith" from any religion and it does not cost a half-million dollars. That's a business, not a religion. Religions don't charge people a half-million dollars to find out what their beliefs are. Insanity.

I hardly know where to begin on the other utter lack of comprehension about Scientology that would be required to not know that they threaten, intimidate, lie, defame, criminally frame, trick, imprison, beat, terrorize and destroy people simply for disagreeing or exposing the lies/fraud of L. Ron Hubbard and his assigns.

If someone is going to go to the trouble of writing about Scientology or creating a film about it, they should spend the first few hours of their research listening to what EX SCIENTOLOGISTS have to say before they foolishly think they can decipher the cult's black ops, facades, front groups and lofty sounding codes and creeds.

That statement (above in blue) is ludicrous and evidences a reckless disregard for first learning about the subject one is touting their scholarship on.

What has me feeling a bit uneasy today, is thinking back to Thoreauxs other work. I am pretty sure I have seen everything he's done, or pretty close.

His tactic has always been to play the charming, dumb curious guy.
While still struggling to stay original in the context of his peers.
And so far, he has managed this, as he gains the trust of his subjects and watches their guard drop.
This, without fail has left me with a deeper understanding of groups I never knew the slightest thing about before. But also, I can't think of any group I haven't come away feeling was foolish.

Now what if Louis thinks, well the horrors of Scientology has been exposed.
Lets focus on the craziness of the involved parties, whether indies or outies.

Ill be happy to hear more. I realise one thing today though.
I don't trust Louis!

Last edited:

HelluvaHoax!

Terrorist! HellYeah! Perfect!

Have a good day, Dave. LOL.

[snipped section from that Daily Beast article, linked above]

Tom DeVocht, a Scientologist from 1977-2005, claims the church’s inner-workings have evolved into a system of devotion on a par with the fanatical recruiters and brainwashers ofal-Qaeda and the so-called Islamic State widely known as ISIS.

“This is the only thing I can tell you: You’ve got people who wrap bombs around themselves, fly planes into buildings—it’s the same thing,” he said. “You believe so much… they can convince you of anything.”

Marty Rathbun, who was a Scientology executive until 2004, claimed Miscavige had become increasingly malevolent and was now employing “terroristic” techniques in order to silence his critics.

That's what I'm talkin' bout!

I've been positioning Scientology with 'terrorism' for years and, quite frankly, think that's a remarkably efficient & effective 3-second way of explaining what the cult is doing to people behind all those pious pronouncements, dedicated glares and winning smirks.

HelluvaHoax!

Just a mention. . .

Although this documentary might have let Scientology off the hook to some degree (i.e. "Hey, it's just like other religions!") I am still looking forward to seeing it and cheering it on.

Any film that openly ridicules Scientology or (better yet) baits them into zombie-eyed "never defend, always attack!" clownery & dramatizations is wonderfully helpful to creating a world without Scientology's criminality, war and insanity.

Free Being Me

Crusader

Terrorist! HellYeah! Perfect!

Have a good day, Dave. LOL.

[snipped section from that Daily Beast article, linked above]

That's what I'm talkin' bout!

I've been positioning Scientology with 'terrorism' for years and, quite frankly, think that's a remarkably efficient & effective 3-second way of explaining what the cult is doing to people behind all those pious pronouncements, dedicated glares and winning smirks.

On a whim I googled scientology terrorism and the top result is Mike Rinder's blog with the article: Is Scientology A “Terrorist Group”? :biggrin: A good read! :thumbsup:

http://www.mikerindersblog.org/is-scientology-a-terrorist-group/

at3ist

Patron with Honors
This will be fun, cuz louis theorex is the kind of guy who will expose both parties for what they are, I can picture him making look like fools both scientologist and extreme critics. And that will be fun. Cannot wait to see the movie.

I mean we can all agree that extreme critics are wacky too. No offense.

HelluvaHoax!

This will be fun, cuz louis theorex is the kind of guy who will expose both parties for what they are, I can picture him making look like fools both scientologist and extreme critics. And that will be fun. Cannot wait to see the movie.

HellYeah!

Oh, wait a second, which ones are the extreme critics again? LOL

Free Being Me

Crusader

What and who is a "wacky extreme critic?" Specifics?

Last edited:

Victoria

Patron Meritorious

Just a mention. . .

Although this documentary might have let Scientology off the hook to some degree (i.e. "Hey, it's just like other religions!") I am still looking forward to seeing it and cheering it on.

Any film that openly ridicules Scientology or (better yet) baits them into zombie-eyed "never defend, always attack!" clownery & dramatizations is wonderfully helpful to creating a world without Scientology's criminality, war and insanity.

Yeah, I have certainly traversed the range of possibilities in my head today.
I have now concluded that Louis, as usual wants to come across as the good curious boy who gave them the fairest chance of all, to be heard and understood.

That all HE did was stand back and film their response to his requests.
Which, really is, probably true.

I think Marty's little run in at LAX may have made it into the film.
Once again, it's possible the who damn documentary crew was standing right there, just like with John Sweeney.

You know, when I was in, we at least TRIED to act normal when dealing with the public.

HelluvaHoax!

What and who is an "extreme critic?" Specifics?

If Scientology was a car dealership, the "Extreme Critics" would be customers who paid $500,000 cash for a brand new Rolls Royce Phantom Aviator. . .

rolls-royce-phantom-coupe-aviator.jpg

...and then never received any car. Nor a refund.

Who then complained when they had to hitchhike home.

Victoria

Patron Meritorious

The re-enactment sections of the film worried me a little.
I realized I was fretting that he might be disrespectful of some ex or another.
But then I realized I was just doing what I apparently do best.
Worrying about people I don't really even know, for having suffered some imaginary injury that doesn't exist.
I am a pain in my own ass.

Free Being Me

Crusader

If Scientology was a car dealership, the "Extreme Critics" would be customers who paid $500,000 cash for a brand new Rolls Royce Phantom Aviator. . .

rolls-royce-phantom-coupe-aviator.jpg

...and then never received any car. Nor a refund.

Who then complained when they had to hitchhike home.

No doubt! :yes: :thumbsup::clap:

HelluvaHoax!

Yeah, I have certainly traversed the range of possibilities in my head today.
I have now concluded that Louis, as usual wants to come across as the good curious boy who gave them the fairest chance of all, to be heard and understood.

That all HE did was stand back and film their response to his requests.
Which, really is, probably true.

I think Marty's little run in at LAX may have made it into the film.
Once again, it's possible the who damn documentary crew was standing right there, just like with John Sweeney.

You know, when I was in, we at least TRIED to act normal when dealing with the public.

LOLOLOL

Hey! Apparently, it seems quite normal (to an elite 30-year Sea Org member) to stalk people in airports, screaming "NOBODY GIVES A FUCK ABOUT YOU!"

definition

"Scientology Normal": 1. Extremely abnormal, abberated & abhorrent. 2. A condition brought into the world by the same clever folks who invented the universal solvent to critics--by slamming a video-cam in their face and screaming: "WHAT ARE YOUR CRIMES?!"​

Victoria

Patron Meritorious
Quickie off the cuff review by Juicer77.

Here be somewhat spoilers...Great masterful handling of Marty Rathbun. I do not agree with Theroux's sum up at the end - hijacking pope. Scary good guy playing DM. Recreation of Hole. I was reallly scared. Imho as good if not better than GC.