What's new

Louis Theroux' Scientology documentary to premiere

strativarius

Inveterate gnashnab & snoutband
What happened in 2011? Did I miss something again?

In 2011, Michael Duggan, a young black man, died 'at the hands of the Metropolitan Police', an event that sparked rioting in North London at the time. That is what the film 'The Hard Stop' is about.

Leland

Crusader
In 2011, Michael Duggan, a young black man, died 'at the hands of the Metropolitan Police', an event that sparked rioting in North London at the time. That is what the film 'The Hard Stop' is about.

Oh, thanks Strat.

So nothing to do with his current new film...."my scientology story"

Any idea what aspect of the cult of hubbard, his current film addresses?

CommunicatorIC

@IndieScieNews on Twitter
From Tony Ortega.

Louis Theroux film — ‘My Scientology Movie’ — to premiere October 14 at the London Film Festival

http://tonyortega.org/2015/09/01/lo...er-14-at-the-london-film-festival/#more-25214

attachment.php

Attachments

• LouisTherouxMovie2.jpg
    LouisTherouxMovie2.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 306

CommunicatorIC

Broadcast: Louis Theroux Scientology doc lands theatrical release

http://www.broadcastnow.co.uk/news/...-doc-lands-theatrical-release/5092324.article

* * * * * BEGIN EXCERPT * * * * *

Louis Theroux’s first theatrical feature documentary, My Scientology Movie, is to launch at this year’s London Film Festival.

The documentary is backed by BBC Films and BBC Worldwide and will premiere on 14 October.

The film is produced by Oscar-winner Simon Chinn through his indie Red Box Films, which is a sister company to Channel 4-backed indie Lightbox. Chinn previously produced Man on Wire and Searching for Sugar Man. It is directed by John Dower.

The film will follow Theroux as he explores the Church of Scientology and attempt to enter the Church’s headquarters in Los Angeles. Inspired by the Church’s use of filming techniques, and aided by ex-members of the organisation, it will dramatise incidents experienced by those who have left the religion.

* * * * * END EXCERPT * * * * *

CommunicatorIC

East Grinstead Online: Louis Theroux’s “My Scientology Movie” to premier on 14 October

http://bluebelldigital.co.uk/eastgr...y-scientology-movie-to-premier-on-14-october/

* * * * * BEGIN EXCERPT * * * * *

But in the making of the movie Theroux found himself targeted by Scientologists keen to make their own film about him.

In one incident Theroux and former high-ranking Scientologist Mark “Marty” Rathbun were ambushed by two older Scientologists carrying handheld cameras as they left a Hollywood studio.

The BBC brochure about the documentary says “Louis Theroux is making a movie about the Church of Scientology and, it turns out, the Church of Scientology is also making a movie about Louis Theroux.”

* * * * * END EXCERPT * * * * *

Free to shine

Shiny & Free
First look at Louis Theroux’s BBC film on Scientology: ‘Stairway to Heaven’
Filming was still going on just a few weeks ago on the Louis Theroux BBC feature about Scientology, so we don’t expect it to be in theaters for some time yet. But now we do have a glimpse, at least, of what BBC Films says its movie is going to be about.

In an online catalog, a complete two-page spread is devoted to Theroux and his documentary, which now has a title: Stairway to Heaven: Louis Theroux and the Church of Scientology.

http://tonyortega.org/2015/01/02/fi...s-bbc-film-on-scientology-stairway-to-heaven/

Jump

Operating teatime
Tony Ortega and myself were invited to London for the premiere of the movie.
We are both in London and having a wonderful time.
You will have observed that there had been no trailer, no teasers,
Today, Louis Theroux spoke.
http://www.theguardian.com/world/20...scientology-movie-i-felt-like-id-been-blooded

From the link:

As filming went on, we held further auditions: we cast an actor to play Tom Cruise, then took a small band of young players through a Scientology boot camp, with Rathbun as drill sergeant, before ambitiously recreating the scenes of abuse that Rathbun and others have said took place behind closed doors in the upper echelons of Scientology. (The church denies abuse took place and refutes most of the other negative characterisations of the ex-members.)

The Scientologists’ strikeback started about two months into filming. I had begun worrying that the church might have given up counter-investigating. I’ve never been so relieved to have an unidentified pair of people show up and start filming me in a random creepy way from across the road. After studying the subject for years, watching countless YouTube videos of Scientology handlers filming critics and journalists, it felt amazing to be on the receiving end myself: I felt like I’d been blooded.

A torrent of letters from Scientology lawyers also began pouring in.

Without access, though, it’s trickier. I tended only to meet the Scientologists in charged settings – when they were filming me, or ambushing one of my contributors, or accusing me of trespassing. It’s surprisingly hard to be nice to someone when you feel they aren’t being nice to you. But we strove to be fair to Scientology. I tried to see the world from their side. And there is much to admire in Scientology: the dedication of its devotees and the world-changing character of its vision. We also questioned the motivations and credibility of our ex-Scientologists, who, it is always worth remembering, were signed up to the Scientology programme for years, and sometimes decades, before deciding to leave.

But I also see Scientology as not so different from other religions: a set of beliefs and practices that, at their very heart, are mysterious and have to be taken on faith – and which, for that reason, can be life-giving and offer people hope in ways that reasoning and logic cannot.

Louis is about 1/4 way into the onion.

But still, I gots to see this movie :dancer:

Boson Wog Stark

Patron Meritorious

Whereas Theroux says that in many cases critics of Scientology have become as Manichean -- reducing a group or set of ideas to good or evil -- as Scientologists themselves, I don't see that as much and what I do see of it, it's often needed.

The general public has a problem grasping "what is Scientology?" So if critics always adopt a very open attitude or one like journalists usually do, then people will not even notice what is bad about Scientology. Instead, they will just buy into Scientology's line: that you have to become one yourself to understand it and otherwise it is beyond criticism or scrutiny. Never mind that if you become one and criticize anything, you become an SP.

I look forward to the good-quality reenactments of incidents with Miscavige. The Master had some fictionalized reenactments, but Phoenix's character was much different from Miscavige. If they are well done, they could go a long way in stimulating and informing the public as to what is wrong with Scientology.

Scientology will be useless in making their plaintive cries that they were not invited to control the content of the movie and everyone who participated in it, because Theroux's film will expose just exactly what their reaction was.

He also points out in his article the absence of any Scientology who will likely speak about it to the media or public, after Tommy "Xenu" Davis ditched his billion-year contract as spokeshole and Sea Org member.

Free to shine

Shiny & Free
Overall great article but this last sentence bothers me somewhat. :ohmy:

But I also see Scientology as not so different from other religions: a set of beliefs and practices that, at their very heart, are mysterious and have to be taken on faith – and which, for that reason, can be life-giving and offer people hope in ways that reasoning and logic cannot.

strativarius

Inveterate gnashnab & snoutband

Yes, me too. Having read the Grauniad (sorry, 'in-joke', the Guardian is famous - or was, in it's pre-spellcheck typesetting days, for it's typo's) article, let's not get too excited at the prospect of watching the corruscating attack on an evil cult most of us would probably like to see.

And let's not forget that Theroux is a never-in and will therefore never quite grock what being a fully-paid-up scientologist actually means.

I hope I'm wrong, I really do, but I think some of us might feel a little let down once we've seen this film.

Churchill

Gold Meritorious Patron
Theroux's otherwise excellent essay ends on a discordant note. After describing several key aspects which clearly argue that Scientology is uniquely different from a Judeo-Christian ethos,
he seems to, at the last moment, upend his entire argument by concluding that "Scientology (is) not so different from other religions." How disappointing that he came so far, only to reach
an incorrect conclusion.

Sorry, but this is the problem I have with with those "Orthodox Secularists" like Theroux who view all religions with disdain and pronounce a pox upon all houses.

I want to see his movie, hoping that I'm wrong.

But that last paragraph of his, I'm sorry to say, gives the wrong take-away.

Boson Wog Stark

Patron Meritorious

"But I also see Scientology as not so different from other religions: a set of beliefs and practices that, at their very heart, are mysterious and have to be taken on faith – and which, for that reason, can be life-giving and offer people hope in ways that reasoning and logic cannot."

Yeah, unfortunately it leans on the misconception that reason and logic can't offer people hope and be life-giving and used with compassion.

Reading the article and the approach taken, with acting out scenes, sounds like it could be a fabulous documentary.

But I agree with this comment at the bottom of the article:

"johnny5eyes 5m ago

While some people may have found some solace in some of Scientology's more fluffy 'self help' aspects. I'm afraid Louis is being far too fair here. There is nothing admirable about it, it turns people into brainwashed morons, whilst fleecing them left right and centre . It is nothing but sinister."

If Louis is being quoted correctly in that article his fluffiness makes me ill.
Does he really believe that crap? It seems not, because he uses that approach to set other groups up for public inspection. It's a kind of entrapment. Is he really saying he is The Touchy Feely Whistleblower, or is he trying to blow smoke up somebody's arse?

"Dear scientology/OSA
I am going to kick you in the head.
I am a SNAG, and in a my own engaging, slightly eccentric way, I like you. I am sure that makes you happy. I am going to piss on your parishioners too. Wish they had of spoken to me. Y' know I kinda like them.

ARC Louis.

I hope the doco works for the misguided anti-scientologists.