What's new

Louis Theroux' Scientology documentary to premiere

Free Being Me

Crusader
Each time it happened that I engaged in a chatting about $cientology, with people not knowing I had been a member,

each time they told me they don't consider it as a religion, they considered it as a scam..a fraud...it doesn't fit their conceptual thought of a traditional religion. They all know it's a money scam.

I guess medias too know as they use ''religion'' only in countries where it is given the ''religious'' status.
I often heard TV and radio media reports saying either ''$cientology cult'' or '' $cientology sect'' even if they use ''church of $cientology'' to identify the corporation or premises.

The perception may vary depending of countries.

I agree that some people have a negative perception about people involved within $cn in the past - It proved to be true when I disclosed my past involvement to a few people. :confused2:

I've talked with friends and neighbors about $cientology. Not one believes $cientology is religious, a religion, or a benevolent church, especially after watching Going Clear. As you mention, the words cult, scam, fraud, and bat shit crazy were said by the folks I talked with.

I think Ex's/Critics have come a long way informing the public $cientology is a cult and more importantly why $cientology is cult. :hifive:

HelluvaHoax!

Platinum Meritorious Sponsor with bells on

Each time it happened that I engaged in a chatting about $cientology, with people not knowing I had been a member,

each time they told me they don't consider it as a religion, they considered it as a scam..a fraud...it doesn't fit their conceptual thought of a traditional religion. They all know it's a money scam.

Yeah, exactly!

In my experience. . .

EVERYBODY knows "Scientology is a religion" is a lie, hoax and scam.

WOGS know it.

SENIOR SCIENTOLOGY MANAGEMENT knows it.

SCIENTOLOGY LAWYERS know it.

EX-SCIENTOLOGISTS know it.​

The only people who don't know it are true-believing, unbelievably dumb SCIENTOLOGISTS[SUP]*[/SUP].

[SUP]*[/SUP] MEA CULTA: I was once a Scientologist. Therefore I was unbelievably dumb. However, even when I was inside, I was never dumb enough to not think that "Scientology is a religion" was anything other than a tax scam and joke. So, be sure to remember me when they give out medals for "Un-f*cking-believably but Not Fatally Dumb". LOL

Gib

Crusader
I've talked with friends and neighbors about $cientology. Not one believes $cientology is religious, a religion, or a benevolent church, especially after watching Going Clear. As you mention, the words cult, scam, fraud, and bat shit crazy were said by the folks I talked with.

I think Ex's/Critics have come a long way informing the public $cientology is a cult and more importantly why $cientology is cult. :hifive:

cool, I'm gonna do my own survey and ask those questions, just like I asked neighbors if they knew what Rhetoric meant. :thumbsup:

HelluvaHoax!

I'm gonna do my own survey and ask those questions...

Cool!

If anyone you survey gives an answer that includes both the terms "Scientology" and "my religion" in the same sentence--you should immediately disconnect from that person.

:giggle:

Gib

Crusader

Cool!

If anyone you survey gives an answer that includes both the terms "Scientology" and "my religion" in the same sentence--you should immediately disconnect from that person.

:giggle:

seriously, I'm gonna do it, and be nonjudgemental about it.

I'm gonna ask,

have you heard of scientology?

answer yes or no.

If no, that's it.

If yes, I'll ask what do you think of it?

whatever the answer, I'll write down.

That's it, totally non judgemental. And I'll just record the results. I'll keep tallies of no or yes answers.

I'll be back.

HelluvaHoax!

I'm gonna ask,

answer yes or no.

If no, that's it.

That's it, totally non judgemental. And I'll just record the results. I'll keep tallies of no or yes answers.

I'll be back.

Nice!

If you slightly change the wording of your question to: "What do you know about it?" I will bet you that the #1 most common answer is something to do with Tom Cruise. That's what you hear all day and night if you have ever stood near the front entrance of an "Ideal" org and listened to the wog pedestrians as they walked by.

I have (for decades) done informal 'surveys' when talking to people all over the world to see what they know/think of Scientology. Remarkably, Hubbard's anti-social calculations (2.5%) were uncannily correct! But he kinda goofed-the-floof because the 2.5% were people who were clueless, illiterate or unable to access the internet--thus they didn't know anything about the 20th Century's greatest religious hoax.

The other 97.5% offered an opinion laced with contempt or ridicule about Hubbard's "modern science of mental health".

Scientology Paradox #823: Scientology preaches about the "human condition" and "ARC", but then goes right out and "ARC Breaks" as many people as "humanly" possible.

Last edited:

Karen#1

Gold Meritorious Patron
I wanted to share a few thoughts on this Louis Theroux documentary.
I loved it. Every moment of it and I did not look at my watch even once to see how far through.
If anything, it ended too soon, could have watched another hour effortlessly.

Louis Theroux made Marty Rathbun the film director for the re-enactment scenes. He directed the electrifying sequence of SP hole
with the brilliant Actor who played David Miscavige. Immediately before it is hysterically funny with Louis Theroux screaming at an Ashtray to Stand up ! Sit down ! and doing hard TRs with Marty. The audience is shaking with laughter and bam, the SP hole sequence is suddenly there with full violence slamming against walls, getting inmates to crawl on hands and knees and lick the floor. It is stunning. Marty tells Louis Theroux that the actor is *channeling* David Miscavige, he was that good.

I cannot give away all the priceless moments. I can state that from beginning to end you feel how the cult is continuing by the day to become more and more mentally unhinged. You do not feel for one second that it is a *Church* or *Religion*. You continue to connect the dots for yourself and Louis cleverly lets you deduce from his footage how a cult can descend into its own brand of Cuckoo's nest.

Please know that there were internal restrictions by the BBC and BBC lawyers so it is utterly amazing and fabulous that they did air what they did. There was one upset between Marty and Louis Theroux but it was a minor clip and in Question and Answer time after the movie, Louis did state that Marty saw the final version and really liked it with full approval.

Louis also stated that Marty was still some sort of believer when the film started and by the end of the movie told Louis how he was Done with all of it.

Tony Ortega and myself are thanked at the end of the film for our help back channels. Here's a picture of Tony, myself and Keith Poole Senior Editor at the Daily Mail (that posts on Scientology breaking news relentlessly.) We were attending the special cocktail party for the invitees prior to the screening.

keithpoole.jpg

JustSheila

Crusader
Thanks so much for telling us all the background information and all the things that appealed to you in Theroux's documentary, Karen. :thankyou:

And thanks especially to Louis Theroux, you, Marty and everyone else who helped to make it happen. :clap: :clap: :clap: I really look forward to seeing it!

HelluvaHoax!

--snipped for brevity---
I wanted to share a few thoughts on this Louis Theroux documentary. I loved it.
Every moment of it and I did not look at my watch even once to see how far through.
If anything, it ended too soon, could have watched another hour effortlessly.

Louis Theroux made Marty Rathbun the film director for the re-enactment scenes.
He directed the electrifying sequence of SP hole
with the brilliant Actor who played David Miscavige. Immediately before it is hysterically funny with Louis Theroux screaming at an Ashtray to Stand up ! Sit down ! and doing hard TRs with Marty. The audience is shaking with laughter and........

Sounds wonderful! Really looking forward to seeing it! Thanks!

I told you I was trouble

Suspended animation

I'm gonna ask,

answer yes or no.

If no, that's it.

I'll be back.

You whip your clipboard out and go for it Gib but be aware that if these people know you are an ex scio (and if they're being polite) ... they'll probably word their responses extra carefully.

:whistling:

I told you I was trouble

Suspended animation

I guess medias too know as they use ''religion'' only in countries where it is given the ''religious'' status.
I often heard TV and radio media reports saying either ''$cientology cult'' or '' $cientology sect'' even if they use ''church of $cientology'' to identify the corporation or premises.

The perception may vary depending of countries.

I agree that some people have a negative perception about people involved within $cn in the past - It proved to be true when I disclosed my past involvement to a few people. :confused2:

I see no reason to tell anyone that I was once a complete cultic fruitcake ... and (for the same reason) I told hardly a soul when I was in (and sincerely wish I'd told nobody at all).

:biggrin:

Free Being Me

Crusader
I wanted to share a few thoughts on this Louis Theroux documentary.
I loved it. Every moment of it and I did not look at my watch even once to see how far through.
If anything, it ended too soon, could have watched another hour effortlessly. >snip<

From the bits you've shared this sounds like a must see! :thumbsup:

lotus

stubborn rebel sheep!

I see no reason to tell anyone that I was once a complete cultic fruitcake ... and (for the same reason) I told hardly a soul when I was in (and sincerely wish I'd told nobody at all).

Same here! And I remained quite shamed to have been such a fruitcake,
wich is fine, as will ensure to avoid the same mistake twice.

HelluvaHoax!

:hysterical::hysterical::hysterical:

I was always embarrassed with the idea of telling someone that I was a "Scientologist". I explained it to myself all that time that I was "using" the "tools" of Scientology.

But the concept that I was a Scientologist was humiliating to me even when I was in.

Scientology wasn't as mortifying the first few years I got in because everyone seemed to be focused on trying to get to Clear and OT and reach those spiritual plateaus of awareness and "powers".

But then in the 70's Scientology started to morph into a corporate weird-ass cringey religion. When i first saw those ministers collars being worn (with f*cking crosses!) I think I threw up in the theta universe. LOL

When I heard Scientologists use the expression "my religion" I wanted to shed my encumbrance. LOL

Bascially, Scientology turned out to be everything I hated and wanted to avoid in my life---pretentious status, braggarts, stupid people with power, et al.

I just remembered once when I was at Flag (getting auditing) and happened to read a local newspaper about a Scientologist who was held captive by Flag crew when they tried to leave the base in a taxi before their "leaving routing form" was done. The SO actually BLOCKED the taxi driver and person from leaving. The police were called.

I remember that moment, reading it. I actually (in my mind) found myself CHEERING for the police being called against the Flag OTs. It was one of many moments that I realized I was, in fact, an SP.

Cogniting that one is an SP is not a fun thing. You sort of hope, somehow, that you can be "fixed". But years later you come to discover that the part you thought needed to be "fixed" and "erased" was the very best and most wonderful part of you.

Last edited:

Karen#1

Gold Meritorious Patron
So I am returning at LAX and a young Immigration Officer who looks more like a preppy Ivy league graduate asks me what my trip was about as he looks at my passport

Oh, I just went to a movie Premiere in London I explained.

"What movie?" he pressed.

I covered my face as if in a cringe. "a Scientology movie by Louis Theroux...BBC production ~~ I was in the cult 35 years I added...But gone for 5 years now" "Absolute great movie" I added.

"I saw GOING CLEAR" said the Immigration Officer and I'll be sure to see this one" He added how much he loved Louis Theroux and we chatted on Louis Theroux style. Wow.

I warmed up to this guy. <<<<<<<<<<sheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeesh>>>>>>>>>>>> You run into an Immigration Officer for a quick 3 minutes, and he tells you he has seen GOING CLEAR

I am going to take this as a Good Omen.

JustSheila

Crusader
You whip your clipboard out and go for it Gib but be aware that if these people know you are an ex scio (and if they're being polite) ... they'll probably word their responses extra carefully.

:whistling:

lol!

IDK, Tru, responses have been a lot different in the last few months. Like what just happened with Karen. Lately, if I bring it up at all, the response is something like, 'Oh yeh, Scientology! That's the worst of the cults! I was in... or, my mother/brother/friend/sister was in a cult, too ....' and then they move onto other things, not thinking about it again. After all, I moved on and so did others they knew.

Seriously! I'm not kidding! It's so cool to have it viewed as just another idiotic stupid thing that people do that hurts themselves that they get over when they grow up. lol! :biggrin:

I told you I was trouble

Suspended animation
lol!

IDK, Tru, responses have been a lot different in the last few months. Like what just happened with Karen. Lately, if I bring it up at all, the response is something like, 'Oh yeh, Scientology! That's the worst of the cults! I was in... or, my mother/brother/friend/sister was in a cult, too ....' and then they move onto other things, not thinking about it again. After all, I moved on and so did others they knew.

Seriously! I'm not kidding! It's so cool to have it viewed as just another idiotic stupid thing that people do that hurts themselves that they get over when they grow up. lol! :biggrin:

Yeah, I know what you mean (I may have been being a tiny bit naughty, I am sometimes ... it's not my fault though, it's someone elses).

Yeah, I know what you mean (I may have been being a tiny bit naughty, I am sometimes ... it's not my fault though, it's someone elses).

I need someone to blame for a few things that somehow fall out of my mouth.
Shall we become co-blamers? Need strict rules I suppose, but anyway, if we break them, that can hardly be blamed on us can it?

Jayzuz, my mind is in a flippy state right now.

I told you I was trouble

Suspended animation
I need someone to blame for a few things that somehow fall out of my mouth.
Shall we become co-blamers? Need strict rules I suppose, but anyway, if we break them, that can hardly be blamed on us can it?

Jayzuz, my mind is in a flippy state right now.

Yes! Lets do that (I've been quietly blaming you and a couple of other people most days anyway, so lets formalize it).

Terril park

Sponsor
Saw this movie today. It was hilarious! "Going clear" is a factual
well researched documentary. " My Scientology Movie" is more of
a piss take and showing how idiotic members can behave. They
complement each other. It included the infamous footage of "squirrel busters" "busting" Marty in LAX.

The cinema for the second showing in 4 days was completely
full. And its a large cinema. Looked to me more than the approx 500
anons who showed up on the first protest in London in 2008.

Towards the end OSA BOTS bullbaited Marty re his son. Marty
vowed payback for this. Could be more skeletons will come out of
the closet. [ no disrespect to TC :)]