What's new

LRH and the Kodiac Bear

renegade

Silver Meritorious Patron
Do you remember the story about LRH wrestling the Kodiack bear? Any old timers out there that can verify that that story is true?

I was watching the movie the Revenant and it reminded me about that story in the LRH mags.

Do you remember the story about LRH wrestling the Kodiack bear? Any old timers out there that can verify that that story is true?

I was watching the movie the Revenant and it reminded me about that story in the LRH mags.
The only things I recall him saying about animals - he had some sort of husky or malamute and he would come home after being away and the beast would attack him - he would grab it by the jowls and toss the dog - is would then come up, panting, tongue out, tail wagging all happy to see him.

Another was that he was solo auditing and some sheep were making a bunch of noise ( this was at saint Hill) and he put an intention in them and they ran away. (possibly one got hurt - I can't recall)

I really liked that story - because ( go ahead and laugh) I was solo auditing on OT 7, and there was a dog barking and barking and it was distracting me, so I put an intention in it's head to shut up, and surprisingly, it did.

Mimsey

PS - he broke broncos when he was like 3 or 4

htm-maria-and-baby-on-horse.jpg

Dulloldfart

Squirrel Extraordinaire

I recall it. Flag Order, I think, about competence or something. I would guess it's lying bullshit through and through, but have no proof.

Paul

DagwoodGum

Squirreling Dervish
I recall it. Flag Order, I think, about competence or something. I would guess it's lying bullshit through and through, but have no proof.

Paul

The worst karmic trait of a liar would be that they start to believe their own lies due to the number of times they tell them as they have to remember them well enough or they can't sell them.
What did he always say?
Number of times through equals certainty?
Well there you go.

DagwoodGum

Squirreling Dervish

Or is he trying to claim wife #2 was really a Kodiak bear?
Nice try Flubbergasturd!

lotus

stubborn rebel sheep!
Okay, I knew I'd seen a couple of versions of Hubbard's tall tale, and low-and-behold there is this~ http://legacyimgs.lronhubbard.org/yachtsmn/bear2.htm

And as fare as Hisself 'wrasslin' a barr', LOLOLOL, um, no unless in was his teddy bear after a few shots and some 'pinks & greys' :hysterical:

Cheers All!

:yes::biggrin:

I'm not sure quite why, but every time I'm going back into another one of Hisself lying lies about Hisself amazing accomplishments in such stunning wild adventures and journeys ,

its like jabbing knitting needles into my scrotum, this last venture was no different, iya

Cheers to all

:giggle:

Ogsonofgroo

Crusader

I'm not sure quite why, but every time I'm going back into another one of Hisself lying lies about Hisself amazing accomplishments in such stunning wild adventures and journeys ,

its like jabbing knitting needles into my scrotum, this last venture was no different, iya

Cheers to all

Aw shucks Lotus, so glad ya like the knitting-needle analogy, I do has my moments (usually late-night pissed ramblings lol), now I'm back home from my numerous chores I'll see if I can dig up some of the other versions of this old bear story confabulation :biggrin:

DagwoodGum

Squirreling Dervish

Cheers to all

Might be you got needled a little by DM , better check for clues..:unsure:
It's all the little pin pricks that become one big pain when they git ya where they sit ya, I wouldn't shit ya..

Last edited:

lotus

stubborn rebel sheep!
Aw shucks Lotus, so glad ya like the knitting-needle analogy, I do has my moments (usually late-night pissed ramblings lol), now I'm back home from my numerous chores I'll see if I can dig up some of the other versions of this old bear story confabulation :biggrin:

:lol:

I love Aussies colorfull language :biggrin:

looking forward to get the other old bear story! New inspiration to shoop LRH into the wild :biggrin:

:wink2:

Ogsonofgroo

Crusader
Erm... not an Auzzie, me am born and bred Canuckle-head :biggrin:

Being born in bear country I really have to laugh at ol' Tubs' and this story, frankly Scarlet, being that close to any bear is no fun, and the last fucking thing you'd do is try and rope it, good lordy to the folks who believed such hocky-pucks *facepalm#0987tnx*

Oh yes, almost forgot the Wiki link~ "Scientology accounts of the expedition describe "Hubbard's recharting of an especially treacherous Inside Passage, and his ethnological study of indigenous Aleuts and Haidas" and tell of how "along the way, he not only roped a Kodiak Bear, but braved seventy-mile-an-hour winds and commensurate seas off the Aleutian Islands."[107] They are divided about how far Hubbard's expedition actually traveled, whether 700 miles (1,100 km)[57] or 2,000 miles (3,200 km).[107]" ~ From HERE. :yes:

This bit from his vaunted Explorers Club should, if yer morbidly curious sort such as I, should get you started on looking up one of the many of Hubbard's silliness ~ http://legacyimgs.lronhubbard.org/yachtsmn/bear1.htm

I know there is more on this particular gem-oh-duh, I still rue the day my last PC quit with all my years of collected article links, doh! What I was looking for is on an obscure page/blog from years ago, I am not sure, but may to do with his time in Alaska bull-shitting people on their local radio station? I think, if one were to look fer a bit, there's a couple of audio repositories that have archived some of the old programs~ well worth seeking imho, if not for anything in particular, the pesounding lutz :p

:)

Moar! :) http://legacyimgs.lronhubbard.org/yachtsmn/bear1.htm

Last edited:

pkatz

Patron with Honors
This is the story as I remember it, as i read 40+ years ago.

The old man was motoring across an inlet in the Far North. He spied a bear swimming in the same direction. Being the jolly tar that he was, he decided to pass a rope round the bear's neck and see if it could tow him. Ha-ha.

Instead, the animal climbed aboard the little boat and laid waste to whatever caught his eye while our hero cowered in the cabin.

When the bear got bored he left the boat, almost capsizing it as he climbed back into the water. (I might be making this part up, but the idea of Ron being thrown from one side of the cabin to the other and back again as plates, books, sextants, etc, crashed to the deck around him is somewhat satisfying.)

I don't recall if there was a moral to the story, but these days this kind of hi-jinx would get you a visit from the authorities, and probably a fine and/or time in the calaboose.

renegade

Silver Meritorious Patron
It does seem like it was one of the Explorer articles that was included in a Ron mag. It painted this image of him being a strong, brave, macho man.

Now I wonder about all the flying acrobatics stories too.

Leon-2

Patron Meritorious
I remember a tape lecture in which he refers to what he said something like the following "up north in Alaska area there was a rumour going around that there was once a red haired fellow who wrestled with a Kodiak bear and lived to tell the tale. And some folks were saying that that guy was me. Well, I'm not saying it. I'm staying right out of it. But you go up there and you'll hear this story going around about this guy . . . "

So he was quite happy for guys to keep on believing it was him.

I don't for a moment believe it was anything other than a "rumour" that he started up himself.

DagwoodGum

Squirreling Dervish
I remember a tape lecture in which he refers to what he said something like the following "up north in Alaska area there was a rumour going around that there was once a red haired fellow who wrestled with a Kodiak bear and lived to tell the tale. And some folks were saying that that guy was me. Well, I'm not saying it. I'm staying right out of it. But you go up there and you'll hear this story going around about this guy . . . "

So he was quite happy for guys to keep on believing it was him.

I don't for a moment believe it was anything other than a "rumour" that he started up himself.

Yeah, he was a story teller after all. He lived and breathed it.
He was far more interested in effect than staying true to the truth and if the truth had to suffer for effect, he was by no means above that.

lotus

stubborn rebel sheep!
Didn't found the story but an LRH biography picture though!

attachment.php

Attachments

• LRH bears.jpg
    LRH bears.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 107

I told you I was trouble

Suspended animation

Cheers to all

:hysterical:

Have you ever looked up the definition of the word "scrotum" sweetness ... I only ask because I'm pretty sure you haven't got one (with or without knitting needles)?

lotus

stubborn rebel sheep!
:hysterical:

Have you ever looked up the definition of the word "scrotum" sweetness ... I only ask because I'm pretty sure you haven't got one (with or without knitting needles)?

Sweetness

How can you be pretty sure I havent got one ???? :grouch:
Don't invalidate my beingness intimacy puhleaseeeeeeeeeeee :bigcry:

scrotum english = scrotum french :biggrin:

(your attempt to save me from shame is cute and appreciated though)

Last edited:

lotus

stubborn rebel sheep!
To make it simple,

If LRH wrestled a Kodiak Bear then I have a scrotum and Ogsonofgroo is an Auzzie :confused2: