What's new

LRH as "Source" in 1942 as per US Navy

Deeana

Patron with Honors
"On 18 December, he was posted to the Philippines, but got no further than Brisbane, Australia, where while waiting for a ship to Manila, he so antagonized his senior officers that in February 1942 he was on his way home again on board the USS Chaumont. 'This officer is not satisfactory for independent duty assignment,' the US Naval Attaché in Melbourne reported on 14 February. 'He is garrulous and tries to give impressions of his importance. He also seems to think he has unusual ability in most lines. These characteristics indicate that he will require close supervision for satisfactory performance of any intelligence duty.' It was claimed that Ron assumed authority without bothering to obtain official sanction and attempted to perform duties for which he had no qualifications, thus becoming 'the source of much trouble'."

From "The Barefaced Messiah" free online here:
http://www.xenu.net/archive/books/bfm/bfm06.htm

I just thought this was so funny!

"On 18 December, he was posted to the Philippines, but got no further than Brisbane, Australia, where while waiting for a ship to Manila, he so antagonized his senior officers that in February 1942 he was on his way home again on board the USS Chaumont. 'This officer is not satisfactory for independent duty assignment,' the US Naval Attaché in Melbourne reported on 14 February. 'He is garrulous and tries to give impressions of his importance. He also seems to think he has unusual ability in most lines. These characteristics indicate that he will require close supervision for satisfactory performance of any intelligence duty.' It was claimed that Ron assumed authority without bothering to obtain official sanction and attempted to perform duties for which he had no qualifications, thus becoming 'the source of much trouble'."

He's not mentally stable enough to be an officer,

keep a close eye on him, he's liable to start a batshit crazy cult

Udarnik

Gold Meritorious Patron

I still want to know where that effing Tommy Gun went. :omg:

Dave B.

Maximus Ultimus Mostimus
Lt. j.g. L. Ron Hero, gonna win the war all by himself.

I've met people like that, I think most of us have. Usually after they do enough stupid shit, in Hubbard's case, launch depth charges at magnetic deposits on the ocean floor, shoot at some islands belonging to another country that you're not at war with, do or say whatever you did to have three guys jump you in Hollywood, etc; life will eventually straighten them out and they'll cool their jets. One thing I gotta give to Lafatty he was a persistent mofo. Kept doing stupid shit right up until he shuffled off this mortal coil.

Lt. j.g. L. Ron Hero, gonna win the war all by himself.

I've met people like that, I think most of us have. Usually after they do enough stupid shit, in Hubbard's case, launch depth charges at magnetic deposits on the ocean floor, shoot at some islands belonging to another country that you're not at war with, do or say whatever you did to have three guys jump you in Hollywood, etc; life will eventually straighten them out and they'll cool their jets. One thing I gotta give to Lafatty he was a persistent mofo. Kept doing stupid shit right up until he shuffled off this mortal coil.
He wasn't a slacker by any measure, he was a hardcore asshole through and through, you don't fuck over as many people as he did without working really hard at it.

Last edited:

Deeana

Patron with Honors
July 1943 after being a Commanding Officer for 80 days, during which he was responsible for two major fuckups:

"In a fitness report covering his brief career as a Commanding Officer, Rear-Admiral E.A. Braisted, Commander, Fleet Operational Training Command, Pacific, rated Lieutenant L.R. Hubbard as 'below average' and noted: 'Consider this officer lacking in the essential qualities of judgement, leadership and cooperation. He acts without forethought as to probable results. He is believed to have been sincere in his efforts to make his ship efficient and ready. Not considered qualified for command or promotion at this time. Recommend duty on a large vessel where he can be properly supervised.'"

Unfortunately, he later somehow must have learned leadership qualities.

But wow, what a liar L Ron was! To everyone about just about everything - including his family members. And apparently from quite a young age.

--------

Oh, and I've encountered a big unexplained red flag in L Ron's history. He is in high school in Helena, Montana, living with his grandparents. His father is stationed in Guam and his mother is with the father. The parents had made the decision not to bring their only son with them for this two year assignment. Because of the "loose native women" and "strange venereal diseases" in Guam, supposedly as per other Navy men who said they would never bring a son along to Guam.

Months pass and Ron is not doing well academically in school but is very involved in participating in student activities. A group he led had just won a prize in an annual pioneer days parade. Despite being dressed as swash-buckling pirates. A week later, L Ron abruptly leaves school and leaves town. He went, on his own, to Seattle and stayed with an aunt and her husband until he got permission from his father to come to Guam, some months later.

I would bet that L Ron was running away from SOMETHING........