What's new

LRH's motorcycle on Craigslist for $600K

Leland

Crusader
Husky's were Real Beasts.:yes:

Edit: I could never figure out just WTF was up with all the goofy colors and color schemes Japanese cars and especially bikes had back then. Many moons later I made my first of 11 trips to Japan and I Grok'd it.:hysterical:

Why so many trips to Japan Face? Business or pleasure?

Leland

Crusader
Mostly B with many "memories for life" P sprinkled in. :coolwink:

I have a few photos of me in Japan .....around 1956 to about 1958.

But don't want to post em on this thread.....

I've got about 3000 feet of 16mm film....my Dad took in Asia....but I haven't ever looked at it. I need to get it all transferred to DVD asap.

afaceinthecrowd

Gold Meritorious Patron

I've got about 3000 feet of 16mm film....my Dad took in Asia....but I haven't ever looked at it. I need to get it all transferred to DVD asap.

Cool. :yes:

No worries...This is not the place. :no:

3,000 feet of 16mm is a whole bunch. A tip...Don't try and look at it and take it to a Bona Fide Pro to get it transferred. It's probably brittle and delicate by now and the handling and processing of the first transfer of stuff that age (especially depending on how it has been stored) is critical. :coolwink:

So, you were in Spain and Japan in your youth. Was your Dad in the Military and, if so, which Branch?:)

Gib

Crusader

transfer to dvd, then sell your photos and film on Ebay,

could be worth more bucks than you think, do your research on Ebay. :thumbsup:

some collector or restorer or movie company or museum will pay good money for those artifacts of history. You never know, and it's worth a shot. :yes:

LA SCN

NOT drinking the kool-aid
IMO the Miata was a superb Japanese copy/emulation of the Lotus Elan.....

LOL - a ringer except better! :yes:

The mention of the name Lotus got me going...I remember drooling over a brand new Lotus Europa in the showroom of Precision Imports in Tucson AZ, 1967. A tiny, low slung beauty.

lotus_europe_s1_feb2013.jpg

images.jpg

Leland

Crusader
LOL - a ringer except better! :yes:

The mention of the name Lotus got me going...I remember drooling over a brand new Lotus Europa in the showroom of Precision Imports in Tucson AZ, 1967. A tiny, low slung beauty.

View attachment 12370

View attachment 12371

Yes! What a car. Still a wonderful car today....

I worked for an Engineer that had a small Garage that worked on Lotus....as his hobby. Once in awhile, I got to drive an Elan +2 home for lunch....:)

There was an old Elite there....and some Elans...

My main job was changing the "donuts" in the drive shafts and half axles....

Edited: My boss owned a Lotus race car...that was stored at the garage. It had a mid engine Ford V-8..... ( Cosworth ) and was an incredible car. I've never been able to find the model .....on the web.

Last edited:

Leland

Crusader
Cool. :yes:

No worries...This is not the place. :no:

3,000 feet of 16mm is a whole bunch. A tip...Don't try and look at it and take it to a Bona Fide Pro to get it transferred. It's probably brittle and delicate by now and the handling and processing of the first transfer of stuff that age (especially depending on how it has been stored) is critical. :coolwink:

So, you were in Spain and Japan in your youth. Was your Dad in the Military and, if so, which Branch?:)

Hi Face,

I answered your question here:

http://www.forum.exscn.net/showthread.php?39818-Lee-s-odds-and-ends&p=1094033#post1094033

F.Bullbait

Oh, a wise guy,eh?
:thumbsup:

My dear departed older brother was a brilliant Automobile Master Mechanic, very talented overall mechanical technician and one Helluva sports car driver, motorcycle rider and airplane pilot. He owned a thriving precision tune shop in a very affluent urban area that worked on everything from Ferrari's, Lamborghini's, Mazerati's, Jag's, Aston Martin's, BMW's, Mercedes', etc. to the various Japanese high performance models to Classic Vintage Marques. His Hobby on-the-side was helping with the engine/transmission work for folks who were restoring Vintage airplanes and motorcycles...Anytime our elder brother was having trouble with one of the tractors, pickups or hay cutting/bailing machines on his ranch he'd go out and fix it for him.

He owned a favorite personal toy in each of his three passions...sports cars, motorcycles and airplanes. His choice for his personal sports Car was a Mazda Miata. :yes:

Face:)

EDIT PS: At the risk of sounding too "forward"...Your Mrs. sounds like my kinda gal.:blush:

EDIT PPS: When my brother was 14 years old he rebuilt a '47 Flathead V8--including hand grinding the valves--all on his own.:ohmy:

IMO the Miata was a superb Japanese copy/emulation of the Lotus Elan.....

Thanks for the nice talk about the Miata and the wife. Both are still full of piss and vinegar. The wife was just in the hospital for an overnight observation. When I came into the ward in the morning, the nursing station was abuzz and tittering about how she kicked one of the night doctors out of her room because he didn't have much of a bedside manner. Just gotta love her rough side. :biggrin:

Ah, grinding the valves of a flathead brings back memories! :)

When I was a kid....racing bikes in Spain on a track made by some US Navy Sea Bees in Rota.......a friend once gave me some advice:

Don't ever piss into the wind.....and don't ever ride a BSA.....

:p

But I have to admit....I've always wanted a BSA 441 Victor Special! WoW....what a bike. A Thumper.

Oh.. you had to bring up the Victor Special. I got one from a guy in trade back in the early 70's. It was a monster single cylinder job. You had to use a compression release to kick it over. It shook like mad and gave me a case of numb nuts. Too fast for this sissy. It collected dust until I sold it to a guy who collected English bikes. I stuck with a tame Honda 350 twin for many years.

BTW, nice pics motocrossing. Reminds me of the neighborhood kids in the '60s who couldn't seem to find enough humps to jump.

strativarius

Inveterate gnashnab & snoutband
Yes! What a car. Still a wonderful car today....

I worked for an Engineer that had a small Garage that worked on Lotus....as his hobby. Once in awhile, I got to drive an Elan +2 home for lunch....<snip>

Well Lee, that really is a remakable coincidence. I too worked for an engineer who also happened to own a Lotus Elan +2, and sometimes I got to drive it home for lunch along the motorway between Plymouth and Ivybridge where we lived. The rest of the time I had to settle for his moss-green Peugeot 504 estate. Ugh!

That was the only time I've ever driven any kind of sports car. I always lusted after a Porsche Carrera, but alas I never got to own one.

F.Bullbait

Oh, a wise guy,eh?
Well Lee, that really is a remakable coincidence. I too worked for an engineer who also happened to own a Lotus Elan +2, and sometimes I got to drive it home for lunch along the motorway between Plymouth and Ivybridge where we lived. The rest of the time I had to settle for his moss-green Peugeot 504 estate. Ugh!

That was the only time I've ever driven any kind of sports car. I always lusted after a Porsche Carrera, but alas I never got to own one.

I used to work on a '69 moss green Peugeot 504. One day I noticed a hole in the middle of the bumper. Looking through the hole, I saw the end of the engine crankshaft. I had previously observed that on one side of the engine compartment was a rod that looked like a jack handle. Turned out to be a crank handle to manually crank the engine. Possibly one of the last of its kind.

strativarius

Inveterate gnashnab & snoutband
I used to work on a '69 moss green Peugeot 504. One day I noticed a hole in the middle of the bumper. Looking through the hole, I saw the end of the engine crankshaft. I had previously observed that on one side of the engine compartment was a rod that looked like a jack handle. Turned out to be a crank handle to manually crank the engine. Possibly one of the last of its kind.

Lol. When I saw the first few words of your post in the side-bar on the main-page my heart skipped a beat. I thought that you were going to say you noticed a hole in the diff. That would have been a coincidence to end all coincidences.

I took this Peugeot on a business trip to France, and on the way back it completely seized up. When I looked under the car the diff was glowing red-hot and there was not a drop of oil in it. What caused the hole I'll never know.

F.Bullbait

Oh, a wise guy,eh?
Lol. When I saw the first few words of your post in the side-bar on the main-page my heart skipped a beat. I thought that you were going to say you noticed a hole in the diff. That would have been a coincidence to end all coincidences.

I took this Peugeot on a business trip to France, and on the way back it completely seized up. When I looked under the car the diff was glowing red-hot and there was not a drop of oil in it. What caused the hole I'll never know.

Happily no hole in the differential. In retrospect, I think the car was a 404, not 504. Still had the ugh factor in spades.

Breaking down in France reminds me of a time when a car I rented had a depannage. The shifter linkage broke but I managed to jiggle the tranny into 1st. I slowly drove to a 2 cow town. There was a typical vieillard there with the beret and a Gaulois dangling from his lips. He welded the linkage back together for 5nf ($1).

LA SCN

NOT drinking the kool-aid
Happily no hole in the differential. In retrospect, I think the car was a 404, not 504. Still had the ugh factor in spades.

Breaking down in France reminds me of a time when a car I rented had a depannage. The shifter linkage broke but I managed to jiggle the tranny into 1st. I slowly drove to a 2 cow town. There was a typical vieillard there with the beret and a Gaulois dangling from his lips. He welded the linkage back together for 5nf ($1).

Great memory of simpler times! :yes: