Malignant Narcissism, L Ron Hubbard, and Scientology's Policies of Narcissistic Rage

CommunicatorIC

@IndieScieNews on Twitter
Scientology Books and Media: Malignant Narcissism, L Ron Hubbard, and Scientology's Policies of Narcissistic Rage
https://scicrit.wordpress.com/2014/...and-scientologys-policies-of-narcisstic-rage/

2008 | Malignant Narcissim , L Ron Hubbard, and Scientology’s Policies of Narcisstic Rage
Jodi M Lane MA and Stephen A Kent Ph D
Read Online | Download as .pdf

The social environment within Scientology is toxic. At the very least ‘ordinary’ part-time members are subject to manipulative social pressure, and at worst (for example in the full-time ‘Sea Org’) good people are manipulated into treating each other in an extraordinarily abusive way.

This toxic social environment is created by the rules and practices of Scientology itself. The doctrines of Scientology, set down by L Ron Hubbard, create an authoritarian, bureaucratic organisational structure with internal secrecy and a requirement to report ‘thoughtcrime‘.

The question is, why does the Church of Scientology, as an organisation, posses this character? Lane and Kent suggest that it is a direct consequence of the personality of its founder, L Ron Hubbard.

They propose that Hubbard suffered from the psychiatric condition “Malignant Narcissism”, which gave him an obsessive need to control others and revenge himself on those who he perceived to have wronged him.

When Hubbard created Dianetics, he acquired a devoted following. His possession of money and power removed many of the normal social restraints on his behaviour. When he moved on to Scientology, his need for control and vengeful nature were freely expressed in Church doctrine (notably the ‘fair game’ policy). Since the rules and practices of the Church of Scientology are based on these doctrines, the ‘behaviour’ of the organisation itself reproduces Hubbard’s malignant narcissism.

sos-cv1 Lane and Kent illustrate this thesis by examining the extraordinary persecution of Journalist Paulette Cooper, author of the early critical book “The Scandal of Scientology” (1971).

Scientology under Hubbard, undertook a massive, organised campaign to suppress her book and utterly destroy the author – personally. Cooper discusses this in an article “Looking over my shoulder, The Inside Account of the Story That Almost Killed Me.”

Lane and Kent also describe other instances of Hubbard exploiting his position of ‘authority’ in the Church, to give full rein to the ‘spoiling behaviour’ that is characteristic of narcissistic personality disorder, by persecuting perceived rival for attention.

After Hubbard’s death, the organisation seems to have assumed a life of its own. Unfortunately, it retains Hubbard’s malignant personality, and continues to persecute its critics and defectors with a ferocity that seems, at the very least, calculated to do them serious psychological harm.

For example, the intrusive surveillance that defector Mark “Marty” Rathburn and his wife have been subjected to (which can be seen in the documentary film “Scientologists at War“) which is the subject of ongoing legal action.

Under Hubbard, Scientology’s abusive behaviour was a direct of his orders and policies. Today, the organisation reproduces that behaviour in its members because it still considers those orders and policies to be holy writ, to be followed and applied without question. The dead hand of Hubbard is still directing the persecution of the enemies of his brainchild.

PTS

Elliott
Re: Malignant Narcissism, L Ron Hubbard, and Scientology's Policies of Narcissistic R

I'll leave it to the more learned amongst us to debate this.

I have a good deal of mirth thinking about how batty it must make the cult spies who monitor ESMB
when we use psychiatry to dissect Hubbard's personality.:laugh: :clap:
:party:

Miss Ellie

Miss Ellie
Re: Malignant Narcissism, L Ron Hubbard, and Scientology's Policies of Narcissistic R

For those lurkers...

LRH, DM and all the true blue sciobots HAVE to believe that they are sane and rational.

If LRH was not sane and rational then "this" thing he created would not be sane and rational. If LRH was not sane and rational then having DM step in to control the strings would not be sane and rational. If LRH was not sane and rational and you are now following DM then....

IF LRH DM and all the true blue sciobots ARE NOT sane and rational..... then it is all a lie.... if it is all a lie.... then people have been wasting time, money & their lives.

SO.... close your eyes, turn counter clockwise three time.... click the ruby red slippers.... repeat.... LRH & DM are sane and rational... everything they said/say is true... no matter how CRAZY it sounds.

If it is true for them then it is true for you....

Now.... go report how crazy we are in talking about how crazy LRH & DM are - you have no choice - or do you?!?!

:duh:

Knows

Gold Meritorious Patron

Narcissist's have a "seared consciousness" - their ability to have compassion, use reason, put themselves in other shoes, empathy are GONE. They have done so many crimes against humanity and people that they are too far gone. There is no help for a true Narcissist. Scientology creates Narcissist's - that is your OT.

afaceinthecrowd

Gold Meritorious Patron

This is an excellent academic paper, IMHO...and I've read reams of them on a number of subjects besides Scn.

A few years ago on ESMB I posted my thoughts re: El Ron, IMO, having been most likely...amongst a few other things...severe NPD. This was based upon several books I read on the subject and concluding not only was my father NPD, so was El Ron, acutely.

I'm not the only one by a long stretch that has Posted about this and there have been some very good discussions on several Threads about all this in the past.

"Malignant NPD"...Wow! Makes complete sense to me.

Thanks a whole bunch for Posting this, C IC. :yes:

Face:)

scooter

Gold Meritorious Patron

That is an amazing read.:omg:

Toxic cult's structure, motives and goals are much clearer to me after reading that - ta muchly, C I/C:yes:

scooter

Gold Meritorious Patron

Sorry but I just have to say it - if El Con was malignant narcissist el supremo for the cult, would that mean DM stands for Deputy Malignant narcissist?:biggrin:

afaceinthecrowd

Gold Meritorious Patron

Sorry but I just have to say it - if El Con was malignant narcissist el supremo for the cult, would that mean DM stands for Deputy Malignant narcissist?:biggrin:

:thumbsup:

Ergo the moniker "DM". :coolwink:

:)

Last edited:

lotus

stubborn rebel sheep!

Very much enlightening!

It helps to to fill some blanks about LRH!
More understanding !

Thank you very much for this posting.
:eyeroll:

From: https://scicrit.wordpress.com/2014/...and-scientologys-policies-of-narcisstic-rage/

(Fair Use Quote!:))

"The social environment within Scientology is toxic. At the very least ‘ordinary’ part-time members are subject to manipulative social pressure, and at worst (for example in the full-time ‘Sea Org’) good people are manipulated into treating each other in an extraordinarily abusive way.

This toxic social environment is created by the rules and practices of Scientology itself. The doctrines of Scientology, set down by L Ron Hubbard, create an authoritarian, bureaucratic organisational structure with internal secrecy and a requirement to report ‘thoughtcrime‘.

The question is, why does the Church of Scientology, as an organisation, posses this character? Lane and Kent suggest that it is a direct consequence of the personality of its founder, L Ron Hubbard.

They propose that Hubbard suffered from the psychiatric condition “Malignant Narcissism”, which gave him an obsessive need to control others and revenge himself on those who he perceived to have wronged him.

When Hubbard created Dianetics, he acquired a devoted following. His possession of money and power removed many of the normal social restraints on his behaviour. When he moved on to Scientology, his need for control and vengeful nature were freely expressed in Church doctrine (notably the ‘fair game’ policy). Since the rules and practices of the Church of Scientology are based on these doctrines, the ‘behaviour’ of the organisation itself reproduces Hubbard’s malignant narcissism."

BINGO!!! :biggrin: (Well, DUH!!!) :biggrin:

Anyway...good to see some Academics chiming in on this...Read it!!! :happydance: :thumbsup:

lotus

stubborn rebel sheep!

I just review 3 sites
explaining the difference between narcissist and malignant narcissist

The description of a malignant narcissist
in details of each personnality trait
is the exact replication of any and each trait and behavior of LRH

Mind-blowing! :duh:

We knew he was a narcissist
But this ''malignant'' characteristic added, explains about the ''evil'' he was
and does explain how and why he developped his cult the way it is.
What he did to people, especially enslave them, and such their spirit...

It's amazing!

Here is a link of a blog
This person is the child of a malignant narcissist
and wrote a good complete description of traits as I've read on other sites, written by psychs.

http://narcissists-suck.blogspot.com/2009/03/malignant-narcissism-brief-overview.html

* I've read a psych article and he said it worsen with aging.:yes:

Last edited:

afaceinthecrowd

Gold Meritorious Patron

From: https://scicrit.wordpress.com/2014/...and-scientologys-policies-of-narcisstic-rage/

(Fair Use Quote!:))

"The social environment within Scientology is toxic. At the very least ‘ordinary’ part-time members are subject to manipulative social pressure, and at worst (for example in the full-time ‘Sea Org’) good people are manipulated into treating each other in an extraordinarily abusive way.

When Hubbard created Dianetics, he acquired a devoted following. His possession of money and power removed many of the normal social restraints on his behaviour. When he moved on to Scientology, his need for control and vengeful nature were freely expressed in Church doctrine (notably the ‘fair game’ policy). Since the rules and practices of the Church of Scientology are based on these doctrines, the ‘behaviour’ of the organisation itself reproduces Hubbard’s malignant narcissism."

BINGO!!! :biggrin: (Well, DUH!!!) :biggrin:

Anyway...good to see some Academics chiming in on this...Read it!!! :happydance: :thumbsup:

There's an ancient proverb that I quoted somewhere in my early Posts on ESMB re: my life and times with El Ron and Scn. I'm sure that others have quoted it over the years here on ESMB.

In light of this excellent, accurate and well researched academic paper, it is most apropos to quote that proverb yet again:

"A fish rots from the head down."

HelluvaHoax!

Platinum Meritorious Sponsor with bells on

There's an ancient proverb that I quoted somewhere in my early Posts on ESMB re: my life and times with El Ron and Scn. I'm sure that others have quoted it over the years here on ESMB.

In light of this excellent, accurate and well researched academic paper, it is most apropos to quote that proverb yet again:

"A fish rots from the head down."

Agreed!

But, I have long wondered about that proverb in terms of biology and how that could be so. Seriously. Over all the years I never took a moment to look it up--but i just did.

OMG, first Hubbard lied to me and now even ancient proverbs are not true. LOL

http://www.brainstormwarning.org/2008/10/30/the-fish-rots-from-the-head

The phrase, “The fish rots from the head,” is sometimes used to express the idea that all problems in a company or country can be traced back to its leadership. The phrase suggests that corruption enters a country through its leaders, filters down to its citizens and, in some classic tragedies, even affects the environment. The example that immediately comes to mind is Agamemnon.

But does the phrase “The fish rots from the head” hold true in a republic like the United States, where all citizens have the right to vote?

Consider the following:
Not according to David Groman, a fish pathologist at Atlantic Veterinary College, which is part of the University of Prince Edward Island, in Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island. Groman may not be the Quincy of fish (he’s not a forensic fish pathologist), but he does make it his business to know how and why fish die. Which means that he knows how and why fish rot.

Groman found time between his fish autopsies to comment on the rotting-fish metaphor. “I don’t know where that proverb comes from,” says Gromon. “But it’s a poor metaphor. And, I must say, it’s biologically incorrect. When a fish rots, the organs in the gut go first. If you can’t tell that a fish is rotting by the smell of it, you’ll sure know when you cut it open and everything pours out — when all the internal tissue loses its integrity and turns into liquid.”

Having learned about dead fish, the CDU next went looking for information about fresh fish: The call went to Richard Yokoyama, manager of Seattle’s famous Pike Place Fish Market, which has been in operation since 1930. “Before I buy a fish from one of our dealers, I always look at the belly,” says Yokoyama. “On a fish, that’s the first thing to go. That’s where all the action is — in the gut. If the belly is brown and the bones are breaking through the skin, I toss the fish out. It’s rotten.”

scooter

Gold Meritorious Patron

I just review 3 sites

It's amazing!

Here is a link of a blog
and wrote a good complete description of traits as I've read on other sites, written by psychs.

http://narcissists-suck.blogspot.com/2009/03/malignant-narcissism-brief-overview.html

Great link - thanx Lotus:thumbsup:

These references have resolved a conundrum I've been battling for several years. That is - did Hubbard have ANY altruistic goals for His creation? I've posited this question in several ways on this board and elsewhere but never had a definitive answer for myself:confused2:

The answer I have now is a resounding NO - it was all about Him from before the beginning.:yes:

That brings more than a little relief - knowing that ANY benefit obtained by time spent under the cult's influence was accidental at best.:omg:

Pity the poor victims still suffering under Deputy Malignant - they're unknowingly feeding the Monster that's sucking their Lifeblood AND they're providing It with its needed meal of praise.:omg:

No wonder DM hates chat-boards like this.

We laugh at Him - pathetic emotional cripple that He is:hysterical:

scooter

Gold Meritorious Patron

I just review 3 sites

It's amazing!

Here is a link of a blog

This is to bump the excellent blog that Lotus found - if you wanna know the hows and whys of the Fat Fraud and Deputy Malignant, then read the "best of" posts in this blog.

I have a Malignant Narcissist in my family that I've been "dealing with" for years. I now see that my Grandma and one of my aunties (both deceased) also fitted into this category. Not to mention the cult of Hubbard that tried to turn us all into His Mini-Mes.

Forewarned is forearmed. "We" missed both, but reading this blog with the benefit of hindsight might just save you a lot of future heartache.

And it'll certainly explain a lot of the heartache you've already experienced.

Knows

Gold Meritorious Patron

I just review 3 sites

It's amazing!

Here is a link of a blog

:yes:* I've read a psych article and he said it worsen with aging.....and Scotch will excellerate it, not to mention unlimited funds to BE RIGHT and hide it from it's members.

George Layton

Silver Meritorious Patron

Agreed!

But, I have long wondered about that proverb in terms of biology and how that could be so. Seriously. Over all the years I never took a moment to look it up--but i just did.

OMG, first Hubbard lied to me and now even ancient proverbs are not true. LOL

Would it be true if the fish had it's head up it's ass?

mockingbird

Silver Meritorious Patron

I completely agree with this post and the first time I heard the description for malignant narcissist on a tv show I knew it was spot on for lrh.
I think it also agrees with Eric Hoffer's descriptions of a cult leader in his book True Believer. He goes deeply into motivations and attitudes of leaders and followers of mass movements and how they are harmful or beneficial.