What's new

Mark "Marty" Rathbun: Enemies

CommunicatorIC

@IndieScieNews on Twitter
https://markrathbun.wordpress.com/2014/07/08/enemies/
Once a close-knit ideological group initiate has bought into the proposition that it behooves him to be a member he is indoctrinated into what a member does. He then gets busy doing what a good member does in the pursuit of having the benefits of membership.

It seems that all cults have one vital type of ‘to do’ indoctrination in common. That is, the member learns to a high level of certitude who the perceived or designated enemies of that group are and he accepts a share of responsibility for taking action against those enemies. The less rational the group the greater the importance is given to the enemy and the more overwhelmingly destructive the enemy is portrayed as. The less the group’s principles and objectives stand on their own merit the more emphasis is put on remaining ever vigilant for signs of enemy encroachment and upon destroying perceived enemies. Conquering the enemy can become the group’s raison d’etre. Sometimes the highest level of ‘reason’ you will hear from some cult members is a rant about the evils of this or that nemesis as the answer to virtually any tough question. That is a particular strain of denialism.

Irrespective of the degree of apparent effectiveness of a cult’s teachings in isolation, this enemy indoctrination feature begins a mental reversal that wipes out any potential positive and makes the member a mental prisoner and potentially dangerous. Some groups preach that ultimate enlightenment or salvation cannot be reached absent elimination of the enemy. Some extreme cults even talk in terms of the need to ‘obliterate’ or ‘annihilate’ entire classes of people in order for themselves or humankind to survive. Such groups clearly are of concern to family and friends of members and to society at large for obvious reasons. It is not hard to see the negative social effects that a band of such self-righteous zealots marching to the beat of the same paranoid drum could cause. But, ultimately the adverse effect on the cult soldier individually is more predictably certain.

Inevitably such adopted mindsets lead to the view that the individual is not in fact responsible for his own condition and its worsening or bettering. Compare this to the simple generic principles of awareness and consciousness discussed in the previous two posts (Basics and Identification and Membership) to see how plain that fact is. In order to become motivated to dedicatedly pursue perceived enemies the group member must become convinced that those enemies are worsening conditions that adversely affect him somehow.

Indoctrination of this mindset serves as a convenient deflection or justification for many of a group’s own failures or lack of results. More perniciously, it is the inculcation of a disease that ultimately destroys the individual member’s own determinism. If one buys into the indoctrination that the causes of his problems of consciousness or awareness are ‘over there’ one is in for a long, painful and wheel-spinning haul. Unfortunately, many former cult members simply continue to abide by the enemy-assignment mental machinery. They just change the target of their wrath. They spend years with their wheels in the mud ruminating on how their erstwhile cult and its leaders are responsible for their current travails.

On the positive side, to come to grips with these facts and how they might have poisoned one’s thinking and viewpoints opens one to an infinity of possibilities.
"Some extreme cults even talk in terms of the need to ‘obliterate’ or ‘annihilate’ entire classes of people in order for themselves or humankind to survive." Did someone mention "psychs?"

ILove2Lurk

Lisbeth Salander
. . .
I feel sorry for CIC.
CIC
takes the time to create a post and nobody responds. :bigcry:

I guess the bloom is off the rose about Marty. At least around here. :eyeroll:

So my post here is sort of a sympathy post. :flowers:

I have to say that after reading the most recent Marty article above, I'm reeling, feel squashed and blank. Hmmm?

I think Marty is trying to become the next Ken Wilber, a modern day "theory of everything" philosopher who's
immeasurably wordy and extremely hard to decipher. :confused2:

IMO :coolwink:

WildKat

Gold Meritorious Patron
https://markrathbun.wordpress.com/2014/07/08/enemies/
"Some extreme cults even talk in terms of the need to ‘obliterate’ or ‘annihilate’ entire classes of people in order for themselves or humankind to survive." Did someone mention "psychs?"

Also quoting from Marty:
"Unfortunately, many former cult members simply continue to abide by the enemy-assignment mental machinery. They just change the target of their wrath. They spend years with their wheels in the mud ruminating on how their erstwhile cult and its leaders are responsible for their current travails."

Marty manages to skewer people who are in the cult as well as people who have left the cult and who speak out about any damage done to them. When you're in the cult of Scientology, your enemy is SP's and Psychs. When you're out of the cult of Scientology, your enemy is Scientology and its founder. Well, there's some truth to that, if you were one of the ones who lost family members and gave the best years of their lives to the cult.

While I feel that Marty sometimes writes like a pompous ass who's full of himself, other times I think he's onto some truths here and there. He appears to be trying to fill the shoes of the "old man" himself. Dispensing pearls of wisdom along with utter B.S.

Veda

Sponsor
. . .
I feel sorry for CIC.
CIC

I have to say that after reading the most recent Marty article above, I'm reeling, feel squashed and blank. Hmmm?

I think Marty is trying to become the next Ken Wilber, a modern day "theory of everything" philosopher who's

We should be thankful that Marty is imitating Ken Wilber, and not Ken Wilber's one time guru, Franklin Jones, a.k.a. Bubba Free John, a.k.a. Adi Da:

adi-da-samraj-aka-da-free-john-aka-bubba-free-john-aka-franklin-jones.jpg

Adi Da, formerly a staff member at the New York Org

WildKat

Gold Meritorious Patron
I only wish he would write his tell all book.

And I wish Jesse Prince would do the same.

The comm lag is kill'in me. :laugh:

Alas, these books may never come about. I think these guys have the idea that they will "tell all" one day, but then reality hits them in the face as they start to do so. They realize they were part of the criminology that exists at the top of a corrupt organization. They were there and they have culpability. So maybe it's not so smart to write a tell-all.

Maybe they'd be telling on themselves.

WildKat

Gold Meritorious Patron
We should be thankful that Marty is imitating Ken Wilber, and not Ken Wilber's one time guru, Franklin Jones, a.k.a. Bubba Free John, a.k.a. Adi Da:

Adi Da, formerly a staff member at the New York Org

Wow, did not know that! Interesting....

From Wikipedia:

Back in New York, Adi Da and wife Nina became members and then employees of the Church of Scientology.[44] Following Scientology protocol, he wrote Rudi a letter severing all contact.[45][46] After a little more than a year of involvement, Adi Da left Scientology. He then returned to India for a month-long visit in early 1969, during which Swami Muktananda authorized him to initiate others into Siddha Yoga.[47][48]

In May 1970, Adi Da, Nina, and a friend from Scientology named Pat Morley gave away their belongings and traveled to India for what they believed would be an indefinite period living at Swami Muktananda's ashram. However, Adi Da was disappointed by his experience there, especially by the numbers of other Americans who had arrived since his previous visit.[49] Three weeks after arriving, Adi Da said that visions of the Virgin Mary (that he interpreted as a personification of divine feminine power, or shakti) directed him to make a pilgrimage to Christian holy sites. After two weeks in Europe and the middle east, all three returned to New York before moving to Los Angeles in August.[21][50][51]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adi_Da

Enthetan

Master of Disaster
. . .
I feel sorry for CIC.
CIC

Occupational handicap of bloggers. You have to continually come up with something new and interesting to say, in order to keep your audience, and it gets harder as time goes by.

HelluvaHoax!

Platinum Meritorious Sponsor with bells on

Scientologist with 2 implants in restim

1. "Aleister Crowley meditating creepy fat guy" implant.
2. "Something to do with Truman Capote" implant.​

Veda

Sponsor
During the early 1970s, Franklin Jones wrote some pretty insightful things about his time in Scientology in the late 1960s. Too bad he later went nuts and became an abusive guru.

There is a complete chapter about Scientology in the first edition of the book, 'Knee of Listening', a much shortened version appeared in the next edition, and then it disappeared from the book.

"I saw that Scientology was actually a political entity created along the lines of a fanciful interpretation of history. Its goals were political, not spiritual. Thus, its leading concern was power, not wisdom or realization."

The complete chapter 12, 'The search for release from the mind: Scientology': http://www.beezone.com/AdiDa/KneeofListening/book/chapter12.html

Cat's Squirrel

Gold Meritorious Patron
During the early 1970s, Franklin Jones wrote some pretty insightful things about his time in Scientology in the late 1960s. Too bad he later went nuts and became an abusive guru.

There is a complete chapter about Scientology in the first edition of the book, 'Knee of Listening', a much shortened version appeared in the next edition, and then it disappeared from the book.

"I saw that Scientology was actually a political entity created along the lines of a fanciful interpretation of history. Its goals were political, not spiritual. Thus, its leading concern was power, not wisdom or realization."

The complete chapter 12, 'The search for release from the mind: Scientology': http://www.beezone.com/AdiDa/KneeofListening/book/chapter12.html

Good chapter quote from "Knee of Listening" (there's another chapter of that book linked to on here), but as for his having gone nuts, take a look at his picture here;

http://www.adidam.org/

Does that look to you like someone who's gone nuts? It doesn't to me. He looks like someone with a lot of presence and (for want of a better word) beingness.

As for his being an abusive guru (I know what you're referring to here; the Crazy Wisdom teachings); I think you have to be wary of judging the actions of an awakened being by an everyday standard, especially when they're teaching. Part of what teachers like Da Free John and Robert Adams did is put people in situations where they can see their conditioned self patterns in action and (hopefully) dissolve those patterns.

Last edited:

BunnySkull

Silver Meritorious Patron
Re: I AM GOD SUCK MY TOES

You win, Veda, I withdraw my comments. Sad state of affairs; the guy genuinely was brilliant, especially in the early days.

Yes, his sadism towards women and other followers in the last thirty years of life is stomach churning. He went from an honest seeker to the typical, monsterous ego, power obsessed, sadistic POS cult guru. Very similar to Hubbard, only far sicker in his physical and sexual abuse towards his followers and "wives."

strativarius

Inveterate gnashnab & snoutband

Scientologist with [strike]2[/strike] 5 implants in restim

1. "Aleister Crowley meditating creepy fat guy" implant.
2. "Something to do with Truman Capote" implant.

quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by AngeloV
3. Sort of a pregnant man implant.​
LOL
4. Bogged on 5 gallon enema purification implant

5. Hoping one day to be able to see his nuts over his guts implant.

Last edited:

HelluvaHoax!

Platinum Meritorious Sponsor with bells on

4. Bogged on 5 gallon enema purification implant

Oooops, sorry to everyone for derailing. I had an MU on the thread title.

I thought it was Mark "Marty" Rathbun: Enemas