Mark 'Marty' Rathbun's NEW book: Clear and Beyond. Excerpt: Congruence

Student of Trinity

Silver Meritorious Patron
The snippet of text in the OP is just really poor writing. It contains numerous errors in grammar which make it difficult to read and understand. The idea he is trying to communicate is fairly simple but his writing style is obfuscating. I took a stab at re-writing just the first paragraph ...

This is a good exercise — Rathbun should really read your version and compare. I'd probably try to go even farther down to ordinary language myself:

Orginal
The fundamental two-way communication process that all scientology methodology derives its workability from existed before L. Ron Hubbard ever wrote a word on the subject of the mind. All of its components were developed, far beyond the degree of sophistication that scientology ever treated them, while Hubbard was still engaged in black magik rituals in Pasadena. They were perhaps best explained and demonstrated in Rogerian client-centered therapy. It would behoove scientologists to study of it. The best place to start would be On Becoming a Person by Carl R. Rogers (Houghton Mifflin, 1961).

Re-written
The communication process that makes Scientology work as well as it does is one that existed long before L. Ron Hubbard ever wrote a word about the mind. Other people than Hubbard made it work before Hubbard did, and they made it work better. While Hubbard was still doing black magick rituals, for example, Carl R. Rogers was developing a client-centered approach to therapy that would apply what later became the best parts of Scientology, in a much more sophisticated way than Scientology ever achieved. Anyone who has been impressed by Scientology should read Rogers's book On Becoming a Person (Houghton-Mifflin, 1961).

This is actually slightly longer than what Rathbun wrote, but I've tried to say simple things more simply, and emphasize important things more strongly. I like some of Rathbun's phrases, though. I think he's quite a bad writer now, but he could become quite a good writer by just relaxing a bit, and not trying to stand on so high a soapbox.

Last edited:

tetloj

Silver Meritorious Patron
This is actually slightly longer than what Rathbun wrote, but I've tried to say simple things more simply, and emphasize important things more strongly. I like some of Rathbun's phrases, though. I think he's quite a bad writer now, but he could become quite a good writer by just relaxing a bit, and not trying to stand on so high a soapbox.

Agreed. My job involves writing research reports and assisting others putting their work into plain english. This often involves using more words and breaking up some ideas into several sentences. I also have an inclination to try and explain things in as few words as possible, but have had to amend this to write in comprehensible English.

If you want to communicate with people, write simply, even if your ideas are grand and complicated. :yes:

Lohan2008

Gold Meritorious Patron
Agreed. My job involves writing research reports and assisting others putting their work into plain english. This often involves using more words and breaking up some ideas into several sentences. I also have an inclination to try and explain things in as few words as possible, but have had to amend this to write in comprehensible English.

If you want to communicate with people, write simply, even if your ideas are grand and complicated. :yes:

Write simply, even if your ideas are simple and basic .
I totally agree with the idea that Mark NEEDs a team of editors to bring his ideal down to basics, I seriously doubt that MR can do that, having gained most of his life skills while in the cult.

Infinite

Troublesome Internet Fringe Dweller
This is a good exercise — Rathbun should really read your version and compare. I'd probably try to go even farther down to ordinary language myself:

Orginal
The fundamental two-way communication process that all scientology methodology derives its workability from existed before L. Ron Hubbard ever wrote a word on the subject of the mind. All of its components were developed, far beyond the degree of sophistication that scientology ever treated them, while Hubbard was still engaged in black magik rituals in Pasadena. They were perhaps best explained and demonstrated in Rogerian client-centered therapy. It would behoove scientologists to study of it. The best place to start would be On Becoming a Person by Carl R. Rogers (Houghton Mifflin, 1961).

Re-written
The communication process that makes Scientology work as well as it does is one that existed long before L. Ron Hubbard ever wrote a word about the mind. Other people than Hubbard made it work before Hubbard did, and they made it work better. While Hubbard was still doing black magick rituals, for example, Carl R. Rogers was developing a client-centered approach to therapy that would apply what later became the best parts of Scientology, in a much more sophisticated way than Scientology ever achieved. Anyone who has been impressed by Scientology should read Rogers's book On Becoming a Person (Houghton-Mifflin, 1961).

Regardless of the style of writing, the concept being discussed by Marty is fatally flawed in that it draws a false equivalence between Scientology and counselling. For example, no counselling requires that the client be hooked up to a crude lie detector, be required to respond to commands, and nor is any counsellor trained in how to physically prevent a client from leaving a session without permission. At a fundamental level, the aim of counselling is to make the client well enough to no longer need any counselling, while the aim of Scientology is to sell more Scientology. Also, there is no evidence - as that word is commonly understood in a therapeutic context - to suggest that Scientology works except as a powerful form of mind control.

Scientologys is a [STRIKE]philsophy[/STRIKE], [STRIKE]science[/STRIKE], [STRIKE]religion[/STRIKE], therapy . . . floor wax and dessert topping.

HelluvaHoax!

Platinum Meritorious Sponsor with bells on
Regardless of the style of writing, the concept being discussed by Marty is fatally flawed in that it draws a false equivalence between Scientology and counselling. For example, no counselling requires that the client be hooked up to a crude lie detector, be required to respond to commands, and nor is any counsellor trained in how to physically prevent a client from leaving a session without permission. At a fundamental level, the aim of counselling is to make the client well enough to no longer need any counselling, while the aim of Scientology is to sell more Scientology. Also, there is no evidence - as that word is commonly understood in a therapeutic context - to suggest that Scientology works except as a powerful form of mind control.

Scientologys is a [STRIKE]philsophy[/STRIKE], [STRIKE]science[/STRIKE], [STRIKE]religion[/STRIKE], therapy . . . floor wax and dessert topping.

HellYeah!

Scientology is also the only "counseling" where someone shows up hoping to straighten out theirfamily life which is being torn apart with worry & arguments about overdue bills and financial stress.

But when their spouse voices concern that Scientology counseling is costing a fortune, making things even worse. Additionally, when they mention the fact that the Internet is overflowing with ex-Scientologists shocking allegations about fraud, criminality and human rights abuses--the PC is sent to an "Ethics Officer" who orders them to divorce & disconnect from their "SP" spouse.

Then when the grief struck and bewildered PC doesn't want to disconnect from their children, they are assigned a condition of "TREASON" and the Auditor and Ethics Officer gang up and terrorize them about "losing their eternity" if they don't obey Ron's holy "scripture" (policies).

If the PC still doesn't want to "help Ron achieve his dream" by disconnecting from their own family, the counselor then helps Scientology to gather up the most humiliating secrets from the PC's auditing folders so that Scientology can publish it (along with a lot of "manufactured" lies) to terrorize the PC into silence.

Meanwhile, the auditor and ethics officer feel very good about "helping" the PC in this way because it is "greatest good" and also they'd "rather have (the PC) dead than incapable".

I suspect that the reality described above is why Marty is having such incredible difficulty rendering a simple explanation of Scientology "counseling". He is still cluelessly acting as though Scientology auditing was created to help people (other than Hubbard).

Leland

Crusader

Red highlight.....Boy, Did that strike home. How true. And auditors are trained to do so. And auditors are punished if they don't respond in this way.

I suppose this is against the law. How could it not be. Auditors are trained to physically detain if necessary....and detaining is illegal.