What's new

Martina Cole books

Voltaire's Child

Fool on the Hill
Well, I dunno that these are great books, but they sure are fun and I'm enjoying them.

I live in the US and while there are authors who are popular on both sides of the pond, there do seem to be a lot of them who one can only find in England or the US.

Soooo... I was at my all time favorite used book store the other day and found this cool thriller by a lady named Martina Cole. I really like gritty thrillers. So I read it and thought it was great. British writer, British publishers. Found that the library out here doesn't have any of her books. I think you can only get her stuff in the British Isles or Australia,maybe. I did find some, though, on used book sites. Amazon.com, Powells books, etc. Got some more. Really absorbing!

My one complaint is that I think she should provide a glossary. I'm finding it tough sledding with this English underworld slang...

But then again, I've often thought Mike Leigh movies (which I really like) should have subtitles. Really hard to understand the -- what is it- Cockney/EastEnd accents? Whatever it is, hard to understand. Plus all the MUs I'm getting...

I'm getting sleeeepy...:wink2:

Snuffy

Patron Meritorious
Well, I dunno that these are great books, but they sure are fun and I'm enjoying them.

I live in the US and while there are authors who are popular on both sides of the pond, there do seem to be a lot of them who one can only find in England or the US.

Soooo... I was at my all time favorite used book store the other day and found this cool thriller by a lady named Martina Cole. I really like gritty thrillers. So I read it and thought it was great. British writer, British publishers. Found that the library out here doesn't have any of her books. I think you can only get her stuff in the British Isles or Australia,maybe. I did find some, though, on used book sites. Amazon.com, Powells books, etc. Got some more. Really absorbing!

My one complaint is that I think she should provide a glossary. I'm finding it tough sledding with this English underworld slang...

But then again, I've often thought Mike Leigh movies (which I really like) should have subtitles. Really hard to understand the -- what is it- Cockney/EastEnd accents? Whatever it is, hard to understand. Plus all the MUs I'm getting...

I'm getting sleeeepy...:wink2:

Try watching a beautiful but impossible-to-understand-the-dialect film by Ken Loach called Kes. It's set in England's northern mining communities in the 60's. I first tried to watch it years ago on video tape and couldn't do it. Recently, I got the dvd, which (oh glory!) had subtitles. Although I didn't get all the slang, just seeing what English words were being said allowed me to enjoy the film.

RK

Voltaire's Child

Fool on the Hill
Try watching a beautiful but impossible-to-understand-the-dialect film by Ken Loach called Kes. It's set in England's northern mining communities in the 60's. I first tried to watch it years ago on video tape and couldn't do it. Recently, I got the dvd, which (oh glory!) had subtitles. Although I didn't get all the slang, just seeing what English words were being said allowed me to enjoy the film.

RK

I'll check it out...with subtitles yet...hope they're yellow subtitles. (easier to read)

GreyLensman

Silver Meritorious Patron

RK

What about "Snatch"? With an amazing inside joke of having Brad Pitt completely unintelligible speaking "pikey", a gypsy dialect. By the second time through you can get much of it. There are pikey subtitles, as well. These only show up when Brad speaks.

And since they are subtitles, it qualifies as reading. Essentially.