What's new

Marty gives account of Debbie Cook donations, and says you can get your money back

rhansrider

Patron with Honors
Marty's latest says that:

"I cannot account for any funds that were sent directly to Debbie Cook. I was never given access to the total figures received by the Baumgartens, let alone the details of the donations.

I do know that when they demanded that donations be made straight to them, they posted in writing the guarantee that any funds received would be returned upon conclusion of the case. The case is concluded. I understand from at least one donor that there is indication the guarantee will be honored provided donors send their addresses to Wayne and Debbie with a request.

I was asked by a donor to Debbie’s page whether receiving such money would be to receive blood money. My answer was that I do not think that at all given the representations under which it was collected, other public representations on this blog by Debbie, and given my well educated estimation of what the defendants received. I think not to get it back would be to saddle Debbie and Wayne with an overt that would plague them further on down the road.

I think that the energy of independents should be returned to them."

Reading between the lines, I think Marty is a little miffed with Debbie.

Free to shine

Shiny & Free
Re: Marty gives account of Debbie Cook donations, and says you can get your money bac

And a little more http://markrathbun.wordpress.com/
-------

I never made any refund representation prior to soliciting donations for the defense. I did two nights ago when more than one person expressed in blog comments disappointment with how the funds were utilized.

Since last night more than one person has offered to help me cover refunds (as you can see from the accounting virtually all funds received were spent on the Baumgartens’ defense) since I don’t have the money to do so.

I have a record of every person who made donations to the Indies defense fund through my paypal account and by check mailed to me. I do not have addresses for you. For purposes of my record keeping I need to issue checks for refunds. If you want your money back from the Indies Defense Fund I collected the initial monies from please send your name and address to me at [email protected] along with the amount you donated and I will issue and mail you a check from the defense fund account. Please have patience since as you can see the account is nearly empty.

Accounting

14 Checks and cash payments received: 3,400.00

72 Paypal donations: 9,665.00

less 3.2% Paypal handling fee: (309.28)

Total received 12,755.72

Disbursements:

Check R Jeffrey retainer 13 Feb 5,000.00

Check R Jeffrey retainer 27 Feb 5,000.00

Rinder Tampa/S.A. round trip airfare Jan 996.85

Rinder Tampa/S.A. round trip airfare Feb 996.85

Check to R Jeffrey 12 March 600.00

Total disbursements 12,593.70

balance Indie Defense Fund 162.02

A final note on Debbie Cook and the impact of her having stood up. My final reckoning is prompted by my need to move on. There are ripple effects created by Debbie’s email and court testimony that are being cultivated into waves that will make the first four months of 2012 look like child’s play.

BunnySkull

Silver Meritorious Patron
Re: Marty gives account of Debbie Cook donations, and says you can get your money bac

I just can't believe anyone thinks this is "accounting" or "transparency."

Marty offers no proof behind the numbers he types - no canceled checks, no invoices, no bank statements, no accountant statements, no pay pal balance, nothing, nada.

As I said in the other Debbie thread about this, Marty's accounting is as reliable and verifiable as CoS stats and accounting.

He is super pissed at Debbie but can't say too much because he has to keep up his pretense of "knew it all along," Its also killing him that DM might derive any satisfaction from this so he has to keep going on about how pissed and angry DM is about the whole affair (don't ask, he's got "sources" that assure him it's true) - because that's what's most important to Marty.

Jquepublic

Marty offers no proof behind the numbers he types - no canceled checks, no invoices, no bank statements, no accountant statements, no pay pal balance, nothing, nada.

As I said in the other Debbie thread about this, Marty's accounting is as reliable and verifiable as CoS stats and accounting.

He is super pissed at Debbie but can't say too much because he has to keep up his pretense of "knew it all along," Its also killing him that DM might derive any satisfaction from this so he has to keep going on about how pissed and angry DM is about the whole affair (don't ask, he's got "sources" that assure him it's true) - because that's what's most important to Marty.

Meh, he can't really publish a list of donors on his blog - a lot of the Indies are still posting anonymously and he'd paint a target on their backs by doing that. So I don't care so much about that. What irks me is that IF he really does have sources on the inside, he is placing that person or persons in constant jeopardy by saying so. How many people are close enough to DM to observe him being all moody and morose, after all? How big a stretch is it to imagine DM believing he's got a mole and throwing absolutely everyone in the Hole or it's new and improved replacement?!

And that's why I'm not giving Marty any more love. He's out for blood, fair enough, but he honestly doesn't seem to give a flying fuck who gets hurt in the process, as long as his goal is accomplished. Debbie stopped serving as his new instrument of destruction and not only does he write her off, he encourages all his "friends" to do the same, and bitchslap her bank account while they're at it.

anondelmundial

Patron with Honors

My only observation is the Rathbun and Rinder are flying first class. I think that in this case, using someone else's money, both should have flown coach.

SpecialFrog

My only observation is the Rathbun and Rinder are flying first class. I think that in this case, using someone else's money, both should have flown coach.

I find it improbable that Mike Rinder's airfare would be exactly the same on two different occasions. When does that actually happen?

BunnySkull

Meh, he can't really publish a list of donors on his blog - a lot of the Indies are still posting anonymously and he'd paint a target on their backs by doing that. So I don't care so much about that. What irks me is that IF he really does have sources on the inside, he is placing that person or persons in constant jeopardy by saying so. How many people are close enough to DM to observe him being all moody and morose, after all? How big a stretch is it to imagine DM believing he's got a mole and throwing absolutely everyone in the Hole or it's new and improved replacement?!

And that's why I'm not giving Marty any more love. He's out for blood, fair enough, but he honestly doesn't seem to give a flying fuck who gets hurt in the process, as long as his goal is accomplished. Debbie stopped serving as his new instrument of destruction and not only does he write her off, he encourages all his "friends" to do the same, and bitchslap her bank account while they're at it.

No, nothing I mentioned he should post would compromise donors one iota. Canceled checks made out to the attorney? Receipts for airfare, used tickets? Invoices or receipts for expenses? Bank statements showing balances? Paypal statements showing income and debits? None of that would effect any of the donors anonymity, it's the very least one should offer if they are supposedly offering "accounting."

I'm just saying don't make some empty token gesture at accounting that doesn't mean jack shit. Either do it or don't - I just despise the PR pretending at it. I hate that he just pulled some numbers out of his ass and his fanboys are fallling all over themselves to praise his openess and transparency when what's he's done is the exact opposite. He's doing exactly what the CoS does - here are some numbers or stats with no proof or basis in fact offered and now everyone cheer and hip hip hooray for this meaningless display.

Marty has no idea how DM is taking all of this. He just said that shit to get under his skin. It's killing Marty that DM may be chuckling at all of this so he's doing his best huff and puff to his fanbase. Hell, there's about 40 comments saying how its money well spent if DM is so upset. Yet, again, something Marty says with no actual proof or basis in reality - just like his accounting. He seemed to think he had to keep his little cult motivated after this big loss. Marty tried to spin it as a "win" at first but then quickly gave up the effort and started to get pissed. It's funny if you read his first post on it all his fanboys parrot his party line and wish Debbie the best, and it's a win for us, and good for her, etc... Then as Marty changes his tone, so do they. By the 3rd post on the matter they are out for blood and refunds. Marty really does cue them on how to think and react to all things Scientology and CoS. I guess they were already pre-programed for it so it was a pretty easy job for Marty to just fill the shoes the CoS had filled for decades for them.

It is sad that probably a handful of sadsacks at INT might get put through the ringer this month on the off chance DM decides they must be the SP talking to Marty. I don't believe for second anybody at INT would be in contact with Marty, or almost anyone else for that matter. Those poor souls can barely talk to their family once a year with a monitor on the phone and in the room with them, but I'm expected to believe they are getting updates to Marty and friends?

Make no mistake, Marty is quite pissed about this whole ordeal. The change in his language is quite dramatic from the first post, along with the comments he has responded too. In his latest post he said Debbie "DEMANDED" donation be given directly to them. He has called their settlement blood money. He has said people should demand their donations back so not to saddle Debbie and Wayne with "overts." Compare that to his first post on the matter.... it just took a while for it all to sink in and for Marty to realize there was no way to put a happy face on it for his cause.

Marty can't tolerate being wrong, and even worse the thought of DM laughing at his efforts and triumphing over him. That chaps Marty's ass more than anything else in this universe.

Jquepublic

Bunny: gotcha, thought you meant an accounting of the money received, not so much how it was spent.

You may be right that he has no contact. I wouldn't be surprised if that's just one more bluff. But DM could have a knee jerk reaction to it - I remember a friend of mine being put on MEST work, lowers and sec checking for weeks because she failed to meet his gaze when they passed each other in the garage of the Fort Harrison, and so "clearly had out-ethics".

Just saying, he over-reacts a teensy bit.

Terril park

Sponsor

I'm sure that everyone who donated money to Debbie via Marty would be very happy to have their names and bank account details put on the net.

Freeminds

Bitter defrocked apostate

Marty would like you to think that he is one of the most significant people in the Independent Scientology movement. He may actually be a significant figure, but that says bad things about the movement, rather than good things about Rathbun.

Whatever he is, and whatever his game is... it's small-time. We've been talking about Debbie Cook's spat with Scientology because it was said to be one of unusual significance...

...and yet, in a community that has been conditioned to reach for their billfold every time somebody sneezes, just $13,065 was raised. 86 Cheapzoners (or admirers of cheapzoners) gave thirteen grand... in four months.

This is chickenfeed. It's a joke. I'm sure that most individuals, once free of the yoke of Scientology, can earn that kind of money for themselves in four months. I could make that driving a taxi. Most people don't need to convince eighty-six people to give them donations (incidentally, it works out at a hundred and fifty bucks each) -- and remember that this was the Big Story, when things were happening and there was a cause to rally the Cheapzoners. In an ordinary period with no Debbie Cook, how many donations does Marty's operation attract?

Quite simply, it's laughable.

Yes; none of those people will be getting any money back, and Marty may well have misappropriated it (he's a Scientologist; you can't expect honesty from him...) but I have to point out how incredibly poxy and small-time this branch of Scientology is. LRH has been dead and gone for a quarter of a century, but even he would have been unimpressed by $13,065. The Cheapzone doesn't offer any kind of future for Scientology if that paltry sum is the best their front-man can rake in, when there's a big story running.

Marty is a nebbish; a nobody. (And Miscavige is a mamzer... but he's a rich mamzer.)

BunnySkull

I'm sure that everyone who donated money to Debbie via Marty would be very happy to have their names and bank account details put on the net.

Try reading my original post and follow up - nothing I suggested would divulge one iota of any donors info. Receipts, canceled checks to lawyers, airline tickets, balance statements, etc.. that has nothing to do with donors ID and everything to do with actual accounting and transparency.

Bunny: gotcha, thought you meant an accounting of the money received, not so much how it was spent.

You may be right that he has no contact. I wouldn't be surprised if that's just one more bluff. But DM could have a knee jerk reaction to it - I remember a friend of mine being put on MEST work, lowers and sec checking for weeks because she failed to meet his gaze when they passed each other in the garage of the Fort Harrison, and so "clearly had out-ethics".

Just saying, he over-reacts a teensy bit.

Just my opinion:
Is it worth firing any brain thingies worrying about whether the paranoid midgets' everyday random attacks on his minions might be affected by the fact that he might have read and might have taken to heart (if he had one), some BS and hot air from Marty's pathetic attempts at face saving? In the ungrand scheme of things, it is most likely busine$$ as unusual inside the bubble.

GoNuclear

Gold Meritorious Patron

Marty had to have known ahead of time that settlement was a possible option. He had to have known ahead of time of the propensity of the Cof$ to litigate, litigate, litigate and litigate some more, to drag a case on forever. It is HubTurd stated policy to use the legal system to fatigue opponents into submission. Knowing all of that, he had to think it logical that Debbie, with her medical condition, would want to get a resolution to the case quickly. Furthermore, the folks who donated did so with no expectation of gaining a refund. If Marty is pissed, that is really his problem.

Now there are those who would judge Debbie for what she did as the honcho of the FLB, the redging, commissions, a car, etc. On the other hand, she made nowhere near as much as someone working for even a non profit with the same cash flows as the FLB and probably twice the hours and 10 times the stress. What Debbie did she did as a true believer. When she wakes up, and most likely she will at some point, she will have to deal with her past/guilt/etc. It's really OK by me that she be allowed to get on with her life.

Pete

GoNuclear

Gold Meritorious Patron

Marty would like you to think that he is one of the most significant people in the Independent Scientology movement. He may actually be a significant figure, but that says bad things about the movement, rather than good things about Rathbun.

Whatever he is, and whatever his game is... it's small-time. We've been talking about Debbie Cook's spat with Scientology because it was said to be one of unusual significance...

...and yet, in a community that has been conditioned to reach for their billfold every time somebody sneezes, just $13,065 was raised. 86 Cheapzoners (or admirers of cheapzoners) gave thirteen grand... in four months.

This is chickenfeed. It's a joke. I'm sure that most individuals, once free of the yoke of Scientology, can earn that kind of money for themselves in four months. I could make that driving a taxi. Most people don't need to convince eighty-six people to give them donations (incidentally, it works out at a hundred and fifty bucks each) -- and remember that this was the Big Story, when things were happening and there was a cause to rally the Cheapzoners. In an ordinary period with no Debbie Cook, how many donations does Marty's operation attract?

Quite simply, it's laughable.

Yes; none of those people will be getting any money back, and Marty may well have misappropriated it (he's a Scientologist; you can't expect honesty from him...) but I have to point out how incredibly poxy and small-time this branch of Scientology is. LRH has been dead and gone for a quarter of a century, but even he would have been unimpressed by $13,065. The Cheapzone doesn't offer any kind of future for Scientology if that paltry sum is the best their front-man can rake in, when there's a big story running.

Marty is a nebbish; a nobody. (And Miscavige is a mamzer... but he's a rich mamzer.)

Great Yidspeak! But wtf is a mamzer? Personally, I would have said that DM is a schmuck.

Pete

Mick Wenlock

Admin Emeritus (retired)

Marty had to have known ahead of time that settlement was a possible option. He had to have known ahead of time of the propensity of the Cof$ to litigate, litigate, litigate and litigate some more, to drag a case on forever. It is HubTurd stated policy to use the legal system to fatigue opponents into submission. Knowing all of that, he had to think it logical that Debbie, with her medical condition, would want to get a resolution to the case quickly. Furthermore, the folks who donated did so with no expectation of gaining a refund. If Marty is pissed, that is really his problem.

Now there are those who would judge Debbie for what she did as the honcho of the FLB, the redging, commissions, a car, etc. On the other hand, she made nowhere near as much as someone working for even a non profit with the same cash flows as the FLB and probably twice the hours and 10 times the stress. What Debbie did she did as a true believer. When she wakes up, and most likely she will at some point, she will have to deal with her past/guilt/etc. It's really OK by me that she be allowed to get on with her life.

Pete

Well I disagree with a lot of what you write here Pete (nothing new there eh?) but I certainly concur with your opening paragraph and, I would go further. Rathbun and Rinder have to have known from the outset that settlement was the ONLY way this was going to end. Both of them have been steeped in this crap and know the advices.

As for Cook/Baumgartner - I do not give a shit about her. Apparently she does not give a shit for anyone else. whatever hell she currently inhabits she built, brick by brick all by herself.

Terril park

Sponsor

Try reading my original post and follow up - nothing I suggested would divulge one iota of any donors info. Receipts, canceled checks to lawyers, airline tickets, balance statements, etc.. that has nothing to do with donors ID and everything to do with actual accounting and transparency.

Marty made his post and position on his blog. He is talking to those who contributed via himself.

He is not an accountant.

He has volunteered to pay back people who want payback.

IMO whats going on on all this is not yet clear.

That Marty is culpable of financial shenegans has not been established.

Terril park

Sponsor

Pete

David Mayo spent 10 years in litgation with COS. He was funded by a family worth hundreds of Millions, Sarge Gerbode. After 10 years Sarge wanted a life and with Mayo created the offshoot of Scn Metapsychology.

Debbie didn't have such financial support.

Was probably told if she didn't agree with the draconion injunction she could be spending the rest of her life in litigation.

So we all wished for a better outcome.

However her public and televised comments re DMs savagry made world wide media including at least 3 major papers in the UK.

And stopped DMs legal strategy immediately.

Anyone else ever did such to COS?

Whatever else, Debbie fucked the dwarf!

BunnySkull

David Mayo spent 10 years in litgation with COS. He was funded by a family worth hundreds of Millions, Sarge Gerbode. After 10 years Sarge wanted a life and with Mayo created the offshoot of Scn Metapsychology.

Debbie didn't have such financial support.

Was probably told if she didn't agree with the draconion injunction she could be spending the rest of her life in litigation.

So we all wished for a better outcome.

However her public and televised comments re DMs savagry made world wide media including at least 3 major papers in the UK.

And stopped DMs legal strategy immediately.

Anyone else ever did such to COS?

Whatever else, Debbie fucked the dwarf!

Then why is Marty so royally pissed off if this is all so hunky-dory and a big win? Offering refunds, calling it "blood money', referring to it as trechery, saying it will be used by DM to shutter the still in, allowing comments calling her a bitch, traitor, etc... The last few posts by Marty were not written by someone who thinks this was a win for the team.

Dave B.

Maximus Ultimus Mostimus

MAMZER (Heb. מַמְזֵר), usually translated as "bastard."

Terril park

Sponsor

Then why is Marty so royally pissed off if this is all so hunky-dory and a big win? Offering refunds, calling it "blood money', referring to it as trechery, saying it will be used by DM to shutter the still in, allowing comments calling her a bitch, traitor, etc... The last few posts by Marty were not written by someone who thinks this was a win for the team.

Fluid sitiuation.

Not even sure if Marty's pissed off.

We shall see.