Zhongjianren

Patron with Honors
Independent: Definition Of

http://markrathbun.wordpress.com/2011/10/06/independent-definition-of/

Independent: Definition Of

Posted on October 6, 2011 by martyrathbun09| 82 Comments

From Merriam Webster’s dictionary:

1 : not dependent: as

a (1) : not subject to control by others : self-governing (2) :not affiliated with a larger controlling unit <an independentbookstore>

b (1) : not requiring or relying on something else : not contingent <an independent conclusion> (2) : not looking to others for one’s opinions or for guidance in conduct (3) : not bound by or committed to a political party

c (1) : not requiring or relying on others (as for care or livelihood) <independent of her parents> (2) : being enough to free one from the necessity of working for a living <a person of independent means>

d : showing a desire for freedom <an independent manner>

I post this as food for thought for anyone clinging to remnants of Scientology cult think. I have observed a lot of noise stemming from what I consider remnant cult, group think perhaps instilled by the Radical Corporate church of Scientology. Noise such as, “hey, I relied on the guy because he’s an Indie, and he screwed me; just what kind of group is this?” Or, “the guy was a total squirrel, evaluated me back to the stone ages, and I thought he was an Indie.” Or, worse still, “he’s your friend on Facebook, so I trusted him with boatloads of incriminating information about myself.” Note: I don’t have a clue who 3/4 of my friends on Facebook are, I’ve accepted them on face value – as do the majority of Facebook users – in order to increase the channels of communication for my own messages.

I find such grousing to be sad. Sad, because it is the same kind of think prevalent in corporate Scientology that makes it a cult. ”Hey, flow power to Richie cause he’s a patron diamontorious with fairy dust wings”; and many did and lost their retirement funds. ”Of course I hired her, she’s on course every night”; and the 1.1 winds up going to bed with her husband. ”COB said an F/N must have three swings and each swing has to have a little flourish at the end in order to qualify”; and the case is overrun below the ground.

I’ve got some heartbreaking news for those who want to leave one cult to join another, this here is the Independent movement. There are only two things you can be mildly sure that you hold in common with anybody calling him or herself an Independent Scientologists upon first encounter: a) the idea that the “church” of Scientology practices reverse Scientology, and b) notwithstanding the recognition of “a” the idea that he or she hasn’t foresaken his or her wins and continues to practice Scientology as he or she sees fit.

Now, those are not insignificant common denominators, but they are the only ones you can be reasonably sure exist upon introduction to someone calling him or herself an Independent Scientologist. Beyond that the friendships you make are your responsibility. The partnerships you develop are based on your own due diligence. The practices you engage in are your own responsibility.

Here is an analogy. You might consider yourself a Republican by political affiliation. Does that mean you unconditionally trust the other 100 million people in America who also consider themselves Republicans? No, it means you know only that you have one thing in common when you meet another person who considers him or herself a Republican; and only one thing. After communicating and socializing you may find that you have a great deal of other interests, opinions, and activities in common. You may go on to create great things together, maybe even something that forwards Republican notions. But if you find you are diametrically opposed on a number of issues, whether it is your views of what it means to be a Republican or how the gay neighbor down the street ought to be treated or how business ought to be conducted in the free enterprise system, you aren’t likely to partner up on anything significant. And if you do partner up in whatever endeavor, and you are disappointed, you aren’t going to go bitching to the Republican National Chairman to “handle” your new friend.

Back to Independent Scientologist reality. The matter is complicated by people who are adept at capitalizing on the group think card. Some people are really good at appealing to one’s own third dynamic sense of responsibility with the “you really strengthen the group by helping me get ahead” play. They have gotten by over the years on the sweat of others by blending into the “group”; they can actually make you feel responsible for their survival for they promote what they do for the “group”, while examination of their products finds few at best. Such people use the “group” as a crutch and a maze with which to mask their own lack of personal responsibility.

It is further complicated by OSA’s ongoing programs to infiltrate the Independent field with trolls and agents provocateur. Their mission orders are to use the alleged cred of agreements “a” and “b” above to embed themselves, then spread as much third party, rumor, and personal scandal as possible, and then ruthlesslessly exploit resultant dramas as “Independent Scientologist” group practice. Their overriding program running for two years calls for creating as much enturbulance as possible in the Independent field so that I, by name, am reduced to labeling who is good, trustworthy, and reliable and declaring who is not. The idea is to position me with their own cult leader Miscavige.

OSA is expert at creating an us vs them mentality in the minds of the not-quite-bright. They actually study Hubbard technical references on how the reactive mind is constructed and drill how to use that knowledge to instill and capitalize on reactive, group think. They understand that pack mentality can lead to mob insanity. Next thing you know you’ve got yourself a reactive, destructive cult. And thus most of OSA’s propaganda takes grains of truth OSA itself has nurtured and constructs elaborate, restimulative labels that characterize its perceived enemies as the type of destructive cult itself has become.

The remedy is simple. Learn and use Scientology to improve your ability to differentiate between people who can be relied upon and those who cannot. Learn and use your Science of Survival and PTS/SP tech. Sans some elected authority who labels people for the good of “everyone” (who can be and historically have been corrupted by motivations other than the good of “everyone”) the technology is nothing less than brilliant. (More on how society’s “experts” on the mind are beginning, fifty years after the fact, to recognize its wisdom in later posts). It is vital technology for optimum survival whether you are engaged in or affiliated with Scientology, Independent or otherwise, or not. Hubbard said of that technology and the ability to differentiate between the social personality and the anti-social personality:

Of all our technical skills, such differentiation ranks the highest since, failing, no other skill can continue, as the base on which it operates – civilization – will not be here to continue it…

Unless we realize and apply the true characteristics of the two types of personality, we will continue to live in a quandary of who our enemies are and, in doing so, victimize our friends

All men have committed acts of violence or omission for which they could be censured. In all mankind there is not one single perfect human being.

But there are those who try to do right and those who specialize in wrong and upon these facts and characteristics you can know them.

– 27 Sept 1966

Zhongjianren

Patron with Honors
http://markrathbun.wordpress.com/2011/10/06/independent-definition-of/#comment-153371

GetTheConcept | October 6, 2011 at 3:28 pm | Reply

In light of what Marty said, which I agree with:

In my opinion there is a potential MU to beware of in the term “Independent Scientologist”.

When I first heard the term it appealed to me because it meant (and still does, to me) that as an Independent Scientologist, I can understand the philosophy on my own, and I can use the tech correctly without answering to anyone else in how, when and with whom I choose to do it.
Then, after becoming involved in some Independent Scientologist blogs, I saw that there is also this GROUP of Independent Scientologists. There’s nothing wrong with grouping together with others of similar interests and obviously it can be very fulfilling.

But I think it’s important to still remember that even though there is a group, or groups, of Independent Scientologists, to not forget what the word “Independent” means.

I think the word “Independent” in the term “Independent Scientologist” can be interpreted by some to mean “independent of the church”. This is fine and is obviously a part of it, but it is an incomplete definition.

I think that a group of Independent Scientologists still is really a group of individuals who not only do not answer to the church anymore but they study and use Scientology in the way they want to (without violating the proven workable methods of course), with whom they want to and to the degree that they want to, without answering to anyone else in any official way, including others in the group of Independent Scientologists.

You are free to use Scientology as you see fit regardless of what anyone else thinks of your individual preferences. And it is not up to anyone else to determine that for you, it is your responsibility to determine that for yourself.

That, to me, is the definition of an Independent Scientologist, rather than just “a member of a group of Scientologists who are independent of the C of S”.

ARC,
Dave Fagen

Veda

Sponsor
Usually, Scientologists can grasp the notion that "Black" or "Reverse" Scientology might be used on "Suppressive Persons," but not the idea that Scientology's founder used "Black" or "Reverse" Scientology on his own loyal followers. This is difficult to explain to Scientologists, since Scientology (Hubbard's teachings and "applied philosophy") is regarded as a "gift" from Hubbard for their benefit. Yet Scientology, as crafted by Hubbard, is a devious mix of "Black" or "Reverse," and also "White" Scientology, and this mixture is what makes Scientology a trap.

Currently, about as far as "Independent" and FreeZone" Scientologists can venture is to assert that corporate Scientology's current leader, David Miscavige, uses "Black" or "Reverse" Scientology. Beyond that, things become foggy for them.

And all Marty has to do is throw a catch phrase into the fog, one that sounds good, and perhaps says that we should all think for ourselves, or words to that effect, and everyone is so :yes: happy!

Psst.... Hubbard the hypnotist also told us to think for ourselves.

Captain Koolaid

Patron Meritorious
I post this as food for thought for anyone clinging to remnants of Scientology cult think.

Thanks for the laugh, Marty. This from the guy who nukes every post that questions Hubbard and KSW.

Off topic: What does "flowing power to someone" mean?

Smilla

Ordinary Human
pyramid.gif

LRH

Cof$ - The Mother Cult

Freezone Cult - The Eldest Daughter

Independent Cult - The Prodigal Son

The Greater Cult of Hubbard Respun

... Currently, about as far as "Independent" and FreeZone" Scientologists can venture is to assert that corporate Scientology's current leader, David Miscavige, uses "Black" or "Reverse" Scientology. Beyond that, things become foggy for them. ...

Not 'foggy' at all, there is simply no universal agreements as to the church, lrh, or the subject of scientology.

Clearly Miscavige is universally recognized as the nasty tool he is seen to be or they wouldn't have left the mother church. What else is worthy of disposal is subject to differences in individual interpretation or perspective. Not all agree on what to keep or what to throw out, hence the lack of a uniform consensus or singular 'group agreement' among independents & freezoners.

Mark A. Baker

Smilla

Ordinary Human
Not 'foggy' at all, there is simply no universal agreements as to the church, lrh, or the subject of scientology.

Clearly Miscavige is universally recognized as the nasty tool he is seen to be or they wouldn't have left the mother church. What else is worthy of disposal is subject to differences in individual interpretation or perspective. Not all agree on what to keep or what to throw out, hence the lack of a uniform consensus or singular 'group agreement' among independents & freezoners.

Mark A. Baker

In the Independent Cult, group agreement is alive and well, and this is it:

1. Belief in the infallibility - or near infallibility of Hubbard.
2. Belief in a Hubbard devised Standard Tech.
3. Belief in KSW.

The belief in those three things makes them as fanatical in belief as those in the Mother Cult.

I won't say much about the Freezone, because as we know it isn't really Scientology; but rather a peculiar kind of boxing in which words take the place of fists.

dianaclass8

Silver Meritorious Patron
In the Independent Cult, group agreement is alive and well, and this is it:
I won't say much about the Freezone, because as we know it isn't really Scientology; but rather a peculiar kind of boxing in which words take the place of fists.

LOL!

BunnySkull

Silver Meritorious Patron
I'd be curious to know what petty dramas or con jobs have broken out in the Marty fan club to spur this post. (I'm guessing many of the same kind that repeat ad nauseam in all the Scientology practicing groups.)

Also funny Marty preaching to a bunch of proven, practicing cult followers - who have jumped from one group think into the next group think - about using "independent" thinking, a skill that they haven't had to use since entering Scientology. (It's a critical thinking faculty that gets very rusty and atrophied after years of no use.)

Captain Koolaid

Patron Meritorious
(It's a critical thinking faculty that gets very rusty and atrophied after years of no use.)

Because of this?

CRITICAL THOUGHT, 1. a symptom of an overt act having been
committed. (SH Spec 37, 6409C01) 2. a critical pc=a withhold
from the auditor. (HCOB 23 Aug 71)

CUNNING ROTTEN BASTARD 1. L. Ron Hubbard. 2. People like L. Ron Hubbard.

Smilla

Ordinary Human
I'd be curious to know what petty dramas or con jobs have broken out in the Marty fan club to spur this post. (I'm guessing many of the same kind that repeat ad nauseam in all the Scientology practicing groups.)

My intuition tells me that crazy is getting crazier in Marty's mini-cult. He's more and more busy telling them what to think and laying down the party line. Splinter movements often splinter. Maybe somebody figured out that Marty is just a confused guy who last worked as the Robotic Enforcer for a Mad Cult Leader.

Also funny Marty preaching to a bunch of proven, practicing cult followers - who have jumped from one group think into the next group think - about using "independent" thinking, a skill that they haven't had to use since entering Scientology. (It's a critical thinking faculty that gets very rusty and atrophied after years of no use.)

Only nice thoughts about Ron and Scientology are allowed, so there's no problem as long as everyone independently thinks those independent independently nice thoughts.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B5yymadwxj8

Veda

Sponsor
Universally recognized as the nasty tool of whom?

No answer? Just as when I asked you "What conspiracies?", in response to an accusation re. "conspiracies," and received no response.

HelluvaHoax is correct, Baker. You are a certified Hubbard Word Clown.

... My intuition tells me that crazy is getting crazier in Marty's mini-cult. He's more and more busy telling them what to think and laying down the party line. Splinter movements often splinter. Maybe somebody figured out that Marty is just a confused guy who last worked as the Robotic Enforcer for a Mad Cult Leader. ...

Once you've convinced a person he doesn't need to conform to the dictates of an oppressive bureacratic oligarchy in order to achieve freedom then you need your own already established bureacratic oligarchy to enforce your own preferred views upon him.

MR hasn't got the enforcement capability to keep people from looking at other sources, ergo ....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b6U74V01dR4

Mark A. Baker

Veda

Sponsor
With every message from Marty he plays head games with his followers, and when that's noted, the Scientologists come out of the bushes to "handle" to "wogs" and "anti-Scientologists" who see what Marty is doing.

T

TheSneakster

Thanks for the laugh, Marty. This from the guy who nukes every post that questions Hubbard and KSW.

That is a false assertion.

Furthermore, you have no way of knowing what comments were disallowed as they are pre-moderated so nobody but the poster and the moderators ever see them.