What's new

Marty on 60 Minutes Australia this coming Sunday

Chris Shelton

Patron with Honors
Just got finished watching it and I thought it was great. Clearly showed how nuts the surveillance and harassment was, gave Monique and Marty a good amount of time to speak and the reporter was chasing up on all kinds of oddities with the Church. The New Mexico site fly-over was almost non-sequiter to Marty's case but served to highlight the weirdness of Scientology so it fit right in to the context of the story. Clearly this woman spent some time putting the report together. And of course, the Church's response is Logical Fallacy Central, totally ignoring the questions that were posed to them and copy-pasting David Miscavige's pat attacks against Marty. Nothing new there. You'd think someone in OSA or IMPR office would be a little more creative. Maybe there is no one on post in External PR anymore. Maybe all those PR footbullets really are direct from Miscavige?

I love it bcs it was not neutral. they shoved SBs as lunatics.:)

Actually it was pretty neutral, the Squirrel Busters are lunatics,

What else would you call someone who makes up t-shirts and hats, and takes a plane to Texas from California just to strap a camera to their head and stalk someone?

MissWog

Silver Meritorious Patron
Maybe my expectations were low after reading some of y'all's thoughts prior to watching but I liked it. I do that with movies too..if someone tells me a movie is meh I often like it more than I expected.

the cult written response was classic square footage growth.. I would hope anyone reading that would notice no mention of actual parishioner accomplishments and find it odd.

TG1

Angelic Poster
I thought it was very effective.

The Squirrelbusters Program will go down as one of cult's most damaging footbullets of all time.

Whenever the Squirrelbusters are on-screen (thank you Marty and Mosey for all that wonderful film you took of them!) they are the best exhibit of what Scientology-think is that anyone could EVER imagine.

TG1

P.S. MissWog, the female SB's name is Joanne Wheaton. Here's a thread about her:
http://www.forum.exscn.net/showthre...ton-How-Scientology-Treats-Widows-and-Orphans

The Squirrelbusters Program will go down as one of cult's most damaging footbullets of all time.

Whenever the Squirrelbusters are on-screen (thank you Marty and Mosey for all that wonderful film you took of them!) they are the best exhibit of what Scientology-think is that anyone could EVER imagine.

TG1

P.S. MissWog, the female SB's name is Joanne Wheaton. Here's a thread about her:
http://www.forum.exscn.net/showthre...ton-How-Scientology-Treats-Widows-and-Orphans

It clearly illustrates to the public just how insane Hubbard's batshit crazy role playing game really is.

It would be one this if this was a spontaneous run-in with a Scientologist on the sidewalk by a protester, that can be explained away as an isolated incident.

The Squirrel Busters was a premeditated operation which was approved, paid for, and executed by the cult's management.

The most damning of this entire operation is during the entire conception, planning, preparation, and execution of this operation, not a single person involved was clear minded enough to see how utterly batshit crazy this ridiculous behavior is.

It can by used as a case study in universities to illustrate how insane group think and mind control influences terrorists to be make very bad decisions and voids them of the ability to objectively see how bad these decisions really are.

bromo

Patron with Honors
Just watched the segment online and my thoughts are pretty good, although I did have a cringe moment when Marty said he thought his karma was paid in full or summat. That is only because I have read so many reports of what the fair game program has actually done to people that the general never in public knows nothing about. But all in all, I think it was well put together and people who see it who just have a basic idea of what cos is will be impacted to think WTF? is this "church" really about. Showing cob mentioning that Marty was with him in DC gives credence to the fact that Marty was indeed in the position he has claimed. Showing the text messages was the icing on the cake for me, especially the CICS one! I literally LOLed with glee seeing that.

As important as the work that the exes are doing, I think that it is important that the general public be made aware of just how evil cob is and hear and see some of the real things that go in the cos. The more aware people are of the negatives of cos the less chance there will be for recruitment from unsuspecting people. All of the things that are happening right now are important to bringing this inhumane, money grubbing cult to an end.

I absolutely believe that anyone has a right to live their lives and believe what they wish. But that comes with a caveat. If what they do brings harm to people in a real way then it should not be allowed. I realize this statement can be challenged with "what ifs and buts" in a legitimate way. I just am a live and let live kind of person, accepting of most all things. But the cos destroys lives and families and I cannot accept that. That is why I speak out about it to people here in the bible belt of the US who just think of it as a somewhat crazy religion and do not understand that it really is a cult that is damaging lives.

Once again my thoughts run amok and the post is long winded and travels many paths that divert from the OP. Bottom line is I think they did a decent job on the segment and I am very happy it aired.

freethinker

Sponsor
When he said it, the first thing that jumped into my mind was.. Exactly what is it that Marty has done that he believes has paid back his negative karma?

It was eveident when he said it that he truly believes he has done that but the thing that struck me most is that he feels it was complete before the current litigation began.

Perhaps what he has done has yet to unfold and become public knowledge quite possibly on a massive scale, or maybe not.

It was typical tabloid but we have to keep in mind that it is put together from what they think is relevent. I agree the little blurb from the event that he (Captain Miscavige) and Marty went down to 1111 Pennsylvania Ave. was good but short.

Overall I give it a solid C+ only because I know the type of story that could be done but it was among the top news reports on the cult in the 20 min range.

Just watched the segment online and my thoughts are pretty good, although I did have a cringe moment when Marty said he thought his karma was paid in full or summat. That is only because I have read so many reports of what the fair game program has actually done to people that the general never in public knows nothing about. But all in all, I think it was well put together and people who see it who just have a basic idea of what cos is will be impacted to think WTF? is this "church" really about. Showing cob mentioning that Marty was with him in DC gives credence to the fact that Marty was indeed in the position he has claimed. Showing the text messages was the icing on the cake for me, especially the CICS one! I literally LOLed with glee seeing that.

As important as the work that the exes are doing, I think that it is important that the general public be made aware of just how evil cob is and hear and see some of the real things that go in the cos. The more aware people are of the negatives of cos the less chance there will be for recruitment from unsuspecting people. All of the things that are happening right now are important to bringing this inhumane, money grubbing cult to an end.

I absolutely believe that anyone has a right to live their lives and believe what they wish. But that comes with a caveat. If what they do brings harm to people in a real way then it should not be allowed. I realize this statement can be challenged with "what ifs and buts" in a legitimate way. I just am a live and let live kind of person, accepting of most all things. But the cos destroys lives and families and I cannot accept that. That is why I speak out about it to people here in the bible belt of the US who just think of it as a somewhat crazy religion and do not understand that it really is a cult that is damaging lives.

Once again my thoughts run amok and the post is long winded and travels many paths that divert from the OP. Bottom line is I think they did a decent job on the segment and I am very happy it aired.

Thrak

Gold Meritorious Patron

TG1

Yes, you would have to be the Mary Lou Retton of mental gymnastics to see that video and come to the conclusion that that was logical or acceptable behavior. DM really exposed himself with that operation. Mind blowing that anyone could think that was a good idea in the age of the internet.

oneonewasaracecar

Gold Meritorious Patron
It clearly illustrates to the public just how insane Hubbard's batshit crazy role playing game really is.

It would be one this if this was a spontaneous run-in with a Scientologist on the sidewalk by a protester, that can be explained away as an isolated incident.

The Squirrel Busters was a premeditated operation which was approved, paid for, and executed by the cult's management.

The most damning of this entire operation is during the entire conception, planning, preparation, and execution of this operation, not a single person involved was clear minded enough to see how utterly batshit crazy this ridiculous behavior is.

It can by used as a case study in universities to illustrate how insane group think and mind control influences terrorists to be make very bad decisions and voids them of the ability to objectively see how bad these decisions really are.

When Scientology collapses and DM is dead/in prison/in Columbia there will be serious study of the phenomenon. You cannot talk about the history of the internet without talking about Anonymous and Scientology. You will not find a better documented totalitarian organization. IMHO the only reason academics have not studied this extensively is because they do not want any harassment.

tetloj

I watched it in real time last night. Yes, nothing new and a few factual errors but I thought Mosey in particular did a great job in front of the camera.

Highlights -
* Joanne Wheaton
* CICS counter-intentioned c*ksucker nicely placed in the middle of the screen - would have looked fabulous on your average suburban plasma TV screen
* Miscavige laughing at Tom Cruise confessional material

60 Minutes is tabloid (I don't watch it much but that is the impression I get) so I wasn't expecting new or outstanding journalism - more the reach and who it gets to

It did feel like it was designed to get up Miscavige and I think it would have done beautifully.

It also gives CO$' legal team another opportunity to see how Mosey's case would present to a jury.

Overall

:clap:

CommunicatorIC

@IndieScieNews on Twitter
[video=youtube;Xv1dM9d22XQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=Xv1dM9d22XQ[/video]

[video=youtube;1zv68KquaEc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=1zv68KquaEc[/video]

[video=youtube;zGDChgYTSCA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=zGDChgYTSCA[/video]

tetloj

Hence the fascination for never-ins as well.

Am reading the new "Bareface Messiah" and am up to the aftermath of the release of Dianetics (1950-51)

It is hard to fathom the combination of historical coincidence, hubris, and sincere gullibility that have fed this beast for so long.

I liked the way the front person took her time and did not seem to try to inject drama/emotion in to it. The story itself and Marty and Mosey just being given the time to say what they wanted is enough IMO.

Gib

Crusader
Just further to this point; the fact that Marty Rathbun defected from the CofS is new news to some scientologists! :hysterical:

agreed.

But I really wish the media and people telling their stories would use the correct term which is "escaped" for Marty & others.

"Just further to this point; the fact that Marty Rathbun [STRIKE]defected[/STRIKE] ESCAPED from the CofS is new news to some scientologists!"

Semantics is important.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Semantics

" It focuses on the relation between signifiers, like words, phrases, signs, and symbols, and what they stand for, their denotation."

When one says Marty left the COS, the Wogs think he just left, walked out the door.

To scientologists, that means he has overts and withholds.

To the media, who knows what it means unless one can supply the significance to the media so that they can forward a more exact meaning.

Words are important to convey the correct image in the mind of the reader.

Isn't that what Hubbard did to us suckers? And Hubbard created his image in our minds, bonze bust comes to mine. Or Only Ron's brand scientology is correct.

CommunicatorIC

Marty has a new post up on the show now that it has aired. The comments may also be of interest.

Australia’s 60 Minutes
http://markrathbun.wordpress.com/2014/03/23/australias-60-minutes/

Welcome to all the folks from Australia who have apparently been visiting this blog (visit counter just went off the charts) in the minutes since the 60 Minutes piece ran there. If you are interested in learning more about Scientology you may want to visit the right hand column of the home page of this blog. There are links to a number of books, sites, and other informative media pieces that have run in the past couple years. There is also a search feature where you can explore the more than 1,100 articles published on this site. For those not in Australia, I am informed that the show will appear at this link momentarily, 60 Minutes Australia. Contrary to scientology’s published response to this show, like virtually all other media that have interviewed us Sixty Minutes approached us to ask for the interviews.

MissWog

When he said it, the first thing that jumped into my mind was.. Exactly what is it that Marty has done that he believes has paid back his negative karma?

It was eveident when he said it that he truly believes he has done that but the thing that struck me most is that he feels it was complete before the current litigation began.
I took him to mean not what he has done as much as what he has endured..and what he has endured with the Squirrel Busters is almost equal to what he put others through.. That is how I heard it and it bugged me..so today while doing house work and mopping the floors I piped in Marty SP times interviews and listened to 1-9 again.. Now another 11 to go.. I needed to hear it for myself and it had been like nearly two years since I listened last.

http://youtu.be/dQQiLcEiXsU

Knows

Gold Meritorious Patron
agreed.

But I really wish the media and people telling their stories would use the correct term which is "escaped" for Marty & others.

Semantics is important.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Semantics

" It focuses on the relation between signifiers, like words, phrases, signs, and symbols, and what they stand for, their denotation."

When one says Marty left the COS, the Wogs think he just left, walked out the door.

To scientologists, that means he has overts and withholds.

To the media, who knows what it means unless one can supply the significance to the media so that they can forward a more exact meaning.

Words are important to convey the correct image in the mind of the reader.

Isn't that what Hubbard did to us suckers? And Hubbard created his image in our minds, bonze bust comes to mine. Or Only Ron's brand scientology is correct.

Good point Gib! How about the blown Sea Org staffer's go on 60 Minutes and tell their story right now! Also - another segment on those that have escaped and the harrowing experience of life outside of the cult and what that is like! I admire those that have done it and put some semblance of life together. Especially those alone - like Marty. How he picked up the shattering of his identity and put together a decent guy now is worth reporting. He really did accomplish an amazing feat of epic survival! That experience of being 2nd in command had to do some serious damage to his mind but he is pulling through and flourishing and prospering. I appreciate what he is doing. I hope he doesn't take a buy out.

Has anyone heard what is happening with the Luis Garcia case. They had a deadline of March 9th but nothing has been reported. Did he get gagged with a butt load of money? Anyone know anything?

CommunicatorIC

South Africa Independent Scientology refers readers to 60 Minutes show on Scientology

South Africa Independent Scientology refers readers to 60 Minutes Australia show on Scientology.

The South African Independent Scientology blog, Scientologists getting back in comm, is referring its readers to the 60 Minutes Australia show on Scientology:

Scientology on 60 Minutes
http://backincomm.wordpress.com/2014/03/23/scientology-on-60-minutes/
The 60 Minutes interview with Marty Rathbun titled “The Defector” has just run in Australia.

You can watch it online here: 60 Minutes

The storm continues.