Marty on Freedum Magazine and coverage of The New Yorker debacle

Zhongjianren

Patron with Honors
Marty on Freedum Magazine and coverage of The New Yorker debacle

David Miscavige Destroys Freedom
http://markrathbun.wordpress.com/2011/09/02/david-miscavige-destroys-freedom/

David Miscavige Destroys Freedom

Posted on September 2, 2011 by martyrathbun09| 16 Comments

David Miscavige reached another milestone today. He killed another once-wonderful creation of L Ron Hubbard: Freedom Magazine.

While Jim Lynch and a cameraman assaulted Mosey and I at the check in line at Phoenix International Airport this morning, with Lynch attacking Mosey’s father in bargain, in the name of “Freedom” something was going viral on the internet.

The story about Freedom Magazine’s idiotic attack on The New Yorker, first published by Tony Ortega at the Village Voice, was being picked up by the New York Times and a number of other publications.

LRH wrote numerous articles on social issues for Freedom Magazine in the sixties and seventies. He established the policy for the publication to clean up rotten spots in society. That policy was pretty much adhered to for more than twenty years. Hubbard essays were reprinted during those years flanked by real investigations into societal ills by Freedom staff.

Miscavige changed all that. And he started Freedom’s death throes two years ago with 80 pages devoted to attacking Scientologists who had attempted to clean up his own mega rotten spots . Freedom has done nothing but since.

Its latest edition on the New Yorker is no exception. Except now it seems everybody but David Miscavige understands that Freedom, after his hijacking, has become something worse than a laughing stock.

Just take a look at some of the articles below on Miscavige’s latest PR coup. He has managed to take a six month old shellacking of Radical Scientology and just about the time when most people lost interest he managed to have it linked anew, through Freedom Magazine, to numerous credible publications across the US.

In the bargain, I believe he has irreversibly painted Freedom magazine in the public mind as worse than a joke – instead it is now known as an inane, juvenile reflection of Miscavige’s own psyche.

This is not a minor issue. If anyone in the Guardian’s Office or the Office of Special Affairs had managed to pull this stunt during the life time of L Ron Hubbard, I guarantee you that person would have been declared in a New York minute.

David Miscavige killed Freedom.

Scientology Strikes Back at
The New Yorker

New York Times (blog) - Jeremy W. Peters - ‎Aug 31, 2011‎
The Church of Scientology is certainly no shrinking violet when it comes to defending itself. Known for its aggressive litigiousness and scorched-earth public relations approach, the church’s latest target is The New Yorker , which

the New Yorker In Its Own Glossy Magazine

Hollywood Reporter - Sofia M. Fernandez - ‎6 hours ago‎
The Church of Scientology has published a 52-page glossy magazine mocking The New Yorker. The impetus for the parody publication was “The Apostate,” a February New Yorker article detailing Crash director Paul Haggis’ disillusion and exit from the

Scientologists Publish Fake ‘New Yorker‘ After Critical Article

Death and Taxes - Andrew Belonsky - ‎12 hours ago‎
The Church of Scientology distributed a fake ‘New Yorker‘ magazine outside magazine publisher Condé Nast’s office yesterday. Why? Because they wanted editorial revenge. ‘TheNew Yorker‘ shed a bright

Scientologists vs. New Yorker: Parody Hits Out At Lawrence Wright (PHOTO)

Huffington Post - Jerry Barry - ‎Aug 31, 2011‎
The Church of Scientology is hitting back at the New Yorker with their own parody of the magazine, entirely devoted to criticizing Lawrence Wright’s journalism. It’s not the first time that Freedom has been used to attack a member of the media.

Scientologists‘ angry response to New Yorker article–it’s all out war now

God Discussion - Dakota O’Leary - ‎7 hours ago‎
Turning the other cheek does not appear to be something the Church of Scientology is especially well versed at doing. The issue? An article in the New Yorker by Lawrence Wright called Paul Haggis vs. The Church of Scientology. The Church has responded

Scientologists target magazine

Albany Times Union - Jeremy W. Peters - ‎21 hours ago‎
Known for its aggressive litigiousness and scorched-earth public relations approach, the church’s latest target is The New Yorker, which in February published a 25000-word article that painted Scientology as corrupt and cultish.

A Peek Inside the Church of Scientology’s Fake New Yorker

The Atlantic Wire - ‎Aug 31, 2011‎
Members of the Church of Scientology handed out New Yorker-like copies of their in-house magazine Freedom in front of Condé Nast’s midtown Manhattan offices on Wednesday. The new issue consists exclusively of a “special report” on The New Yorker’s

Scientologists Handing Out Anti-New Yorker Pamphlets Outside Conde Nast Building

New York Observer - Kat Stoeffel - ‎Aug 31, 2011‎
“But the real public for those things is [Church of Scientology leader] David Miscavige. He looks at them and chuckles. And he has spent hours and hours talking about the New Yorker and Larry Wright and Paul Haggis and Marty Rathbun and Mike Rinder.

Scientology’s Freedom Magazine Goes After The New Yorker With Gaudy Spoof

Business Insider - ‎Aug 31, 2011‎
This morning, Conde Nasties and passersby on 42nd St. were greeted by Scientologists handing out copies of the new issue of their Freedom magazine—which is a spoof of TheNew Yorker. Stick it to the man, Scientology! The Scientologists are still mad

Church of Scientology registers protest over New Yorker story

National Post (blog) - ‎11 hours ago‎
Anyone who thought the Church of Scientology would take the high road in response to a critical New Yorker story probably didn’t read said story very closely. According to the New York Observer, a trio of church representatives spent Wednesday morning

Scientologists Ape The New Yorker

mediabistro.com - Chris O’Shea - ‎Aug 31, 2011‎
By Chris O’Shea on August 31, 2011 3:12 PM A group of Scientologists staked out the Conde Nast building this morning and handed out an issue of the organization’s magazine Freedom, which was a parody of The New Yorker. Animal New York says that the

Scientologists Made a Mock New Yorker Magazine

New York Magazine - ‎Aug 31, 2011‎
Members of the Church of Scientology spent the morning outside the Condé Nast building handing out free copies of the Eustace Tilley–teasing issue of their new magazine Freedom, which comes complete with a DVD and the headline: “The New Yorker: What a

Free to shine

Shiny & Free
The media like this. :biggrin:

Personally I remember Freedom mag from the sixties being of the same flavour, only aimed at psychiatry.

koki

Silver Meritorious Patron
he does same thing,just don't have money to put it in formate of magazine...:wink2:
big hello from LRHs Bulgravi
ya.

afaceinthecrowd

Gold Meritorious Patron
Once again Marty, The Myth Maker paints the El Ron Portrait his flock is supposed to see.

Freedum has always been a propaganda hatchet for Scn and the Press knows it.

The only time Freedum had even a tiny shred of relevance and credibility with the Press was when Vaughn Young was there…the same Vaughn Young that Marty has vilified to the faithful.:whistling:

Face :)

SpecialFrog

Silver Meritorious Patron
I hope that they get sued for that insane article.

Sued for what? They've just introduced the New Yorker article to a bunch of people who missed it the first time around. No one who actually reads both articles is going to buy the Freedom version of events.

Paul Haggis might have a legit legal grievance but again, no non-Scientologist is going to take what is being said seriously. If anything, it will create more sympathy for him.

Auditor's Toad

Clear as Mud
Once again Marty, The Myth Maker paints the El Ron Portrait his flock is supposed to see.

Freedum has always been a propaganda hatchet for Scn and the Press knows it.

The only time Freedum had even a tiny shred of relevance and credibility with the Press was when Vaughn Young was there…the same Vaughn Young that Marty has vilified to the faithful.:whistling:

Marty is doing his best to try to walk in the shoes of the man he never met.

Marty has that advanced degree from MSU ( Making Stuff Up )

Marty is going to claim whatever he needs to claim in order to revise history to the way he wants it to be. Most of us call that flat out lying.

Oh, sometime after leaving the cult I looked back and realized we all lied to each other....and ourselves. Marty is still there.

Pooks

MERCHANT OF CHAOS
I'm going to post what I posted on WWP

Marty is a lying piece of shit. Freedum Magazine has long been the PR tool of the cult to attack it's critics.

They "exposed" Interpol's connection to Nazis because Interpol was "attacking" or investigating the cult. They "exposed" IRS abuses because the IRS wouldn't give them tax exemption. Freedum exposed or tried to clean up "rotten spots" as part of their PR Plans and Programs written by the GO and OSA. They were used as "PR Flanks" to attack those that Scn wanted attacked.

Marty is a delusional kool aid drinker and should wake up or diaf.

Veda

Sponsor
From Ron's Journal '68:

"...And the general attack line is along the lines of human rights, human rights.

"Now I'll give you a clue now how this is handled, somebody comes up to you, he's a hostile person - he's hostile to Scientology and he says to you, he says <inaudible> and you say 'Why are you against human rights?' and, then, if you know anything about human rights like the Universal Declaration of Human Rights, United Nations - that sort of thing, you know something about this subject, you just follow it right straight up, total attack, in other words you don't defend Scientology, you just simply attack along this line of human rights.

"Somebody else comes along, hostile, he says something to you about this, or he says something in the press or in a group or something like this, and something about treatment, or something in Scientology, and you should come back at him, 'Why are you in favor of psychiatric death camps? Why are you in favor of psychiatric brutality to human beings?', and just let him try to handle that ball.

"And use these two things.

"Now the hostile person and the hostile press line, for instance the newspaper writes an article on the subject of how bad Scientology is. Well, any Scientologist reading this should at once write the newspaper, 'Why are you in favor of psychiatric death camps? Why are you criticizing Scientology? Why are you in favor of psychiatric death camps?' And we will make some progress on this.

"Now actually what will happen, what will happen, really, is each time Scientology is attacked, we will build into society, if all of you do this, we'll build into society an actual stimulus-response mechanism, whereas an attack on Scientology is actually an attack on human rights, and a person making such an attack is in favor of psychiatric death camps. And if this is the way you handle this, and handle it consistently, even though you get bored with it and want something else to shoot them with, this will produce a fantastic effect..."

Shortly after this RJ '68 was released, the Citizens Commission on Human Rights was started, and 'Freedom' magazine was born.

"The objective is to be identified as attackers of popularly considered evils. This declassifies us from former labels. It reclassifies our attackers as evil people."

Confidential 'Black Propaganda' 12 January 1972

It's kind of interesting how Marty Rathbun has identified himself as an attacker of the popularly considered evil of David Miscavige and "the Church of Miscavology," resulting in the "declassifying" of himself "from former [negative] labels"... [Well, in some people's minds.]

Last edited:

Auditor's Toad

Clear as Mud
Attack Paul Haggis? Uh, oh...most of us know his work very well. ...and Freedum attacked him with lies.

Oh, remember they told us PSYCHS were evil....didn'y know many.

Interpol was evil didn't know much about 'em.

See the major footbullet this attack on Haggis is proving to be?

Davie boy, oh Davie boy.... providing so much amusement at your own expense!

If what davie boy does doesn't back fire it is because it didn't fire at all :lol:

Can't wait to see the next idiotic move they make !

afaceinthecrowd

Gold Meritorious Patron
Good stuff, Veda.:thumbsup:

It's kind of interesting how Marty Rathbun has identified himself as an attacker of the popularly considered evil of David Miscavige and "the Church of Miscavology," resulting in the "declassifying" of himself "from former [negative] labels"... [Well, in some people's minds.]

It's also kind of interesting how Marty says that El Ron woulda Declared someone SP for having attacked Right, Haggis et al in such an inept way rendering Freedum a "laughing stock".

So, besides the fact that Freedum has been a laughing stock for decades, Marty also clearly shows that El Ron and the Scn of those days was vengeful, mean and quasi-fascist and he thinks that's real cool and a good thing.

I guess Marty decided that watching Scn yet again shoot itself in the foot was something he had to get in on and put a round or two in his own foot.

IIRC, El Ron didn't write any original articles for Freedum or, if Hisself did, they were very far and few between. As I recall, everything by El Ron in Freedum was regurgitated, rehashed and reprinted stuff and not anything new written specifically for that rag.

Auditor's Toad

Clear as Mud
It's also kind of interesting how Marty says that El Ron woulda Declared someone SP for having attacked Right, Haggis et al in such an inept way rendering Freedum a "laughing stock".

So, besides the fact that Freedum has been a laughing stock for decades, Marty also clearly shows that El Ron and the Scn of those days was vengeful, mean and quasi-fascist and he thinks that's real cool and a good thing.

I guess Marty decided that watching Scn yet again shoot itself in the foot was something he had to get in on and put a round or two in his own foot.

IIRC, El Ron didn't write any original articles for Freedum or, if Hisself did, they were very far and few between. As I recall, everything by El Ron in Freedum was regurgitated, rehashed and reprinted stuff and not anything new written specifically for that rag.

Marty is an idiot.

Aww, I'm in too good a mood to post about that one.

I think I'll take myself to lunch with my very pretty girl friend and enjoy a beautiful afternoon.

And whatever Marty is doing is wrong.

........................................lunch!

Last edited:

Smilla

Ordinary Human
I'm going to post what I posted on WWP

Marty is a lying piece of shit. Freedum Magazine has long been the PR tool of the cult to attack it's critics.

They "exposed" Interpol's connection to Nazis because Interpol was "attacking" or investigating the cult. They "exposed" IRS abuses because the IRS wouldn't give them tax exemption. Freedum exposed or tried to clean up "rotten spots" as part of their PR Plans and Programs written by the GO and OSA. They were used as "PR Flanks" to attack those that Scn wanted attacked.

Marty is a delusional kool aid drinker and should wake up or diaf.

'KSW' + 'Standard Tech' = Fundamentalist/Fanatic Scientologist

alien-abduction-lamp.jpg

Smilla

Ordinary Human
From Ron's Journal '68:

"And the general attack line is along the lines of human rights, human rights.

"Now I'll give you a clue now how this is handled, somebody comes up to you, he's a hostile person - he's hostile to Scientology and he says to you, he says <inaudible> and you say 'Why are you against human rights?' and, then, if you know anything about human rights like the Universal Declaration of Human Rights, United Nations - that sort of thing, you know something about this subject, you just follow it right straight up, total attack, in other words you don't defend Scientology, you just simply attack along this line of human rights...

"Somebody else comes along, hostile, he says something to you about this, or he says something in the press or in a group or something like this, and something about treatment, or something in Scientology, and you should come back at him, 'Why are you in favor of psychiatric death camps? Why are you in favor of psychiatric brutality to human beings?', and just let him try to handle that ball.

"And use these two things.

"Now the hostile person and the hostel press line, for instance the newspaper writes an article on the subject of how bad Scientology is. Well, any Scientologist reading this should at once write the newspaper, 'Why are you in favor of psychiatric death camps? Why are you criticizing Scientology? Why are you in favor of psychiatric death camps?' And we will make some progress on this.

"Now actually what will happen, what will happen, really, is each time Scientology is attacked, we will build into society, if all of you do this, we'll build into society an actual stimulus-response mechanism, whereas an attack on Scientology is actually an attack on human rights, and a person making such an attack is in favor of psychiatric death camps. And if this is the way you handle this, and handle it consistently, even though you get bored with it and want something else to shoot them with, this will produce a fantastic effect."

Shortly after this RJ '68 was released, the Citizens Commission on Human Rights was started, and 'Freedom' magazine was born.

"The objective is to be identified as attackers of popularly considered evils. This declassifies us from former labels. It reclassifies our attackers as evil people."

Confidential 'Black Propaganda' 12 January 1972

Dear Terril plays those cards quite often when under pressure.

"Are you against people having wins?"

Etc, Blah.

shell_game.jpg

KissMyStats

Patron with Honors
Does anyone know how to get a copy of this Freedom Mag issue ?
I doubt it goes to anyone but the staff themselves and the upper echelon
super special $$$$ people who are public.

I think it would be a great dissem tool for getting people out. If I sent
the New Yorker article on Paul Haggis out to people (current Scios) they would just trash it without reading it. But if I sent them this magazine they would definitely read it and maybe, just maybe then decide to read the New Yorker article. And then maybe, just maybe, they would bail.

Just thinking these naughty thoughts while enjoying my pre-Labor Day cocktail.:happydance:

lotus

stubborn rebel sheep!

This is the way I too remember the Freedom Magazine long time ago

Anti-psych
Anti-interpol
Anti-IRS

Anti-anything that doesn't align with Scamology.

To me, Marty is eighter loosing memory
or not saying the truth ...

It's like how DM perverted and denied the human rights with the RPF as
opposition of LRH working so hard to free people..................................
...................................................................................................

afaceinthecrowd

Gold Meritorious Patron
This is the way I too remember the Freedom Magazine long time ago

Anti-psych
Anti-interpol
Anti-IRS

Anti-anything that doesn't align with Scamology.

To me, Marty is eighter loosing memory
or not saying the truth ...

It's like how DM perverted and denied the human rights with the RPF as
opposition of LRH working so hard to free people..................................
...................................................................................................

Must be Marty's is having trouble with his memory...we all know that Marty would never lie about anything.:whistling: