What's new

[Marty]: Tales of the IAS

Kha Khan

Patron Meritorious
Standard disclaimer, see signature below. Also, please understand that the following is unverified hearsay, so it is best that you ignore this post and move along, ok?

Still here? Tales of the IAS.

IAS ~~ TRUE STORY:
War and Peace // May 27, 2010 at 6:23 am | Reply

IAS ~~ TRUE STORY

Sent to me by someone in Southern California.

“PLEASE post on Marty’s Blog.

In recent times visits to AOLA show almost no photos of LRH. The whole of the 1st floor is emptied of LRH Photos in the corridors.
The only videos playing are David Miscavige and his standing ovations at Int Events.

Instead of LRH photos on the walls, the new decor is pictures of Ideal Orgs and Statuses.
Outside the examiner’s office, (no LRH photos) I noticed a brightly colored poster of Barbara Dakin naming her “Gold Meritorius” of the IAS.

Barbara is about 75 years old, a widower and hardly a person of means. I used to volunteer with her in that Los Angeles beautification project.( clean the graffitti, pick up the trash. )

I ran into her in the Silverlake neighborhood of Los Angeles and congratulated her on her celebrity IAS status and mentioned her photo and award as the only photo image on the first floor of AOLA.

I asked her “how much do you give IAS for Gold Meritorius status?”

She replied “One Million dollars”

“Whew ! How did you do it ?” I asked knowing she had no such wealth.

She looked at me with a tired smile.

“My husband died, and he had life insurance, and the IAS got that, plus his 401K, and I owned my house free and clear in Silverlake and took out a mortgage. The combination of my husbands’ 401K, his life insurance and mortgaging my home got it to $1 million.”

“They were with me til 2am on the Reg cycle” she added.

75 year old widower, no job, with a mortgage so IAS could take get the $1 million in one evening.”

The divorcee:
windhorse // May 27, 2010 at 12:43 pm

And there is the divorcee, retired, about 70 at the time who joined the SO and was regged for her 400K nest egg, all for the IAS. She later felt she was unable to make it in the SO, routed out.

With NO money. Try starting over at 70.

Unconscionable is a kind word for this type of reg cycle. Purely evil. It was bad when it was supposed to be going to defend the church. Now that we know the life style of the small and infamous – it’s just horrific.

WH

The Motivator:
Suzanne // May 27, 2010 at 4:03 am | Reply

Yeah, I had a fun one with Bridget, too. I remember one story in particular. She told me how someone they were regging had recently refused to give them a donation and the next day was involved in a near-fatal car accident. “If only he had given us the donation, he wouldn’t have pulled in such a terrible motivator.” Well, I had little kids at the time and, NO WAY, did I want to pull in something bad and leave them motherless. Out came the credit card. This sort of cycle repeated many times. Howard, Mike, Bridget, Marian…over and over. Boy, did I feel hoodwinked every damned time. Still do.

Interesting post on priorities and income:
Mat Pesch // May 27, 2010 at 3:28 am | Reply

As someone who has been the Dissem Sec and the Treas Sec for the FSO I can tell you that the gauntlet of “direct donation” units at Flag is a formitable barrier to public service.

On both the Arrival Routing Form and the Departure Routing Form the public person is made to see (in turn) each “direct donation” unit on the base of which the IAS is just one.

If a rich public is arriving at the airport the IAS would frequently pick up the person themselves, bypassing the Flag airport van.

If a public sits down in Dept 6 and agrees to buy services, but first needs to go to their hotel room to get their check book or credit card – it is standard procedure to walk the public to their room “arm and arm”. Why? Because far too often the person would be hijacked by a “direct donation” reg on the way, who would take the money first, leaving the public with no way to pay for services.

Bonuses are paid to staff for helping or directly getting a public to make a “direct donation” but they are paid nothing if the public pays for an actual service.

Direct Donation regges are KING at Flag and the IAS regges are above it all. They are protected by RTC and no service reg or staff member with a half a brain would complain about them or show any indicator of CI (counter intention).

Ten years ago it was known at Flag that the average New Major Service Arrival would pay $50,000 before they left the base. Second mortgages, retirement funds, extended credit cards (with help from the reg), selling property, borrowing from family and friends……

The reg units competed for that money like vultures on a bloody carcass. God help the poor guy that thought he was going to “the friendliest place in the world” for some actual help to become more sane and able.

Other than the data regarding the amount the average New Major Service Arrival would pay ten years ago, the last post may appear a bit "inside baseball," but I think it is important. It shows how the IAS and other "direct donation" units starve not only the Class V Orgs, but also the AOs and even the Flag delivery units.

I can well understand the anger of Independent Scientologists who believe, not without at least some reason, that they have been prevented from actually delivering Scientology. I can also understand why for that (and many other) reasons they are drawn to Marty.

ADDED:

New tales:

Bankruptcy Rewarded By The Church of Scientology With Excommunication And Disconnection:
Lucy James // May 27, 2010 at 3:10 pm

As the Executive Director of Birmingham Org I had numerous public upset about the continual harassment from IAS registrars.

One public was harassed so hard and for so long she finally gave $10,000 she didn’t have (on top of the $100,000 she’d already donated along the way). She ended up bankrupt. She was upset and tried to get help from the IAS. No communication came forth from them. She finally snapped and got a tough lawyer and refunded all her IAS donations. The IAS told her she would never do Scientology again so she went further and got a full repayment of all monies. I had to meet with her and have her sign all her forms. It was heart breaking — she told me how much she loved LRH, Scientology and all the Birmingham staff but she felt the IAS actions were wrong and she had to take a stand.

Many public including OT’s came to me in tears. They just wanted to come to the org and get their services and not be harassed by the IAS. The main Reg of the org who was loved by all the public started telling public he would ensure they were not hounded by the IAS in the org so they could get their services. This was early June 2005. Guess what? He was ordered down to St Hill by the RTC Rep and put on the meter for hours. His wings were clipped. He routed off staff shortly after and the org went insolvent and couldn’t pay its staff. He had been on staff for 19 years.

The IAS Commissions of Jeff Pomeranz of the The Church of Scientology:

T Paine // May 27, 2010 at 2:52 am | Reply

Totally the correct target and handling Marty!

Around the year 2000, in Birmingham, England, the IAS insisted on us holding an IAS event “in exchange” for the What is Scientology? Cavalcade rolling into town as part of their UK tour.

The Birmingham Org staff did all the work while holding their own posts and put in extra time to call all the public, get an event hall and set it all up. Birmingham org paid for the hall, the food and all the special equipment the IAS demanded as well as the call-in telephone costs (not small amount of money in England).

Jeff Pomeranz showed up on the night to MC the whole thing, speaking long and pleadingly about the need to raise money for all the worthy causes in the world.

Since they didn’t know any better at that time, the Birmingham public turned out in their droves, and bless them gave generously, very generously. Many gave money I know they didn’t have, following the lead of the org staff who did most of the work on the night and even gave money themselves though they had precious little.

$120,000 was raised that night alone, I think even the IAS were surprised by the amount donated by the regular hard working folk of Birmingham, it was like they’d hit the jackpot.

A couple of days later, when I found out Pomeranz had walked away with more than $12,000 of that money as his fee, I puked.

There are 8 orgs in the UK, Pomeranz did them all on that tour, he made a small fortune at the expense of the British orgs and public, pure unadulterated graft.

And London Org was driven over the edge financially as a result. They went insolvent because the IAS insisted they hold the event in a big fancy London Hotel which of course the org had to pay for. All the more opulence for Jeff to work his “magic” in!!

/

WWP Thread: [Marty]: Tales of the IAS

/

Last edited:

Smilla

Ordinary Human
Scientology seems to be morphing into the practice of making sacrifices to, and worshipping, buildings.

Feral

Rogue male
Standard disclaimer, see signature below. Also, please understand that the following is unverified hearsay, so it is best that you ignore this post and move along, ok?

Still here? Tales of the IAS.

IAS ~~ TRUE STORY:

The divorcee:

The Motivator:

Interesting post on priorities and income:

Other than the data regarding the amount the average New Major Service Arrival would pay ten years ago, the last post may appear a bit "inside baseball," but I think it is important. It shows how the IAS and other "direct donation" units starve not only the Class V Orgs, but also the AOs and even the Flag delivery units.

I can well understand the anger of Independent Scientologists who believe, not without at least some reason, that they have been prevented from actually delivering Scientology. I can also understand why for that (and many other) reasons they are drawn to Marty.

WWP Thread: [Marty]: Tales of the IAS

/

You know when someone is denied Scientology the loss of that seems to prevent any subsequent critical analysis of the tech or Hubbard.

They just seem to moon over it and curse the man who denied the world it's one chance at going free. I noticed this with a friend who was declared SP mid solo nots 12 years ago and I believe I see it in some of the independents.

I believe an open and even critical discussion regarding Scientology, challenging several key concepts tends to throw a new light on the subject.

Even if it is painful for an adherent to hear such "natter" it is of considerable benefit in restoring critical mental faculties.

Last edited:

GreyWolf

Gold Meritorious Patron
I have been in enough reg cycles to know that they are all true. I have even heard worse.

Kha Khan

Patron Meritorious
New tales:

Bankruptcy Rewarded By The Church of Scientology With Excommunication And Disconnection:
Lucy James // May 27, 2010 at 3:10 pm

As the Executive Director of Birmingham Org I had numerous public upset about the continual harassment from IAS registrars.

One public was harassed so hard and for so long she finally gave $10,000 she didn’t have (on top of the $100,000 she’d already donated along the way). She ended up bankrupt. She was upset and tried to get help from the IAS. No communication came forth from them. She finally snapped and got a tough lawyer and refunded all her IAS donations. The IAS told her she would never do Scientology again so she went further and got a full repayment of all monies. I had to meet with her and have her sign all her forms. It was heart breaking — she told me how much she loved LRH, Scientology and all the Birmingham staff but she felt the IAS actions were wrong and she had to take a stand.

Many public including OT’s came to me in tears. They just wanted to come to the org and get their services and not be harassed by the IAS. The main Reg of the org who was loved by all the public started telling public he would ensure they were not hounded by the IAS in the org so they could get their services. This was early June 2005. Guess what? He was ordered down to St Hill by the RTC Rep and put on the meter for hours. His wings were clipped. He routed off staff shortly after and the org went insolvent and couldn’t pay its staff. He had been on staff for 19 years.

The IAS Commissions of Jeff Pomeranz of the The Church of Scientology:

T Paine // May 27, 2010 at 2:52 am | Reply

Totally the correct target and handling Marty!

Around the year 2000, in Birmingham, England, the IAS insisted on us holding an IAS event “in exchange” for the What is Scientology? Cavalcade rolling into town as part of their UK tour.

The Birmingham Org staff did all the work while holding their own posts and put in extra time to call all the public, get an event hall and set it all up. Birmingham org paid for the hall, the food and all the special equipment the IAS demanded as well as the call-in telephone costs (not small amount of money in England).

Jeff Pomeranz showed up on the night to MC the whole thing, speaking long and pleadingly about the need to raise money for all the worthy causes in the world.

Since they didn’t know any better at that time, the Birmingham public turned out in their droves, and bless them gave generously, very generously. Many gave money I know they didn’t have, following the lead of the org staff who did most of the work on the night and even gave money themselves though they had precious little.

$120,000 was raised that night alone, I think even the IAS were surprised by the amount donated by the regular hard working folk of Birmingham, it was like they’d hit the jackpot.

A couple of days later, when I found out Pomeranz had walked away with more than $12,000 of that money as his fee, I puked.

There are 8 orgs in the UK, Pomeranz did them all on that tour, he made a small fortune at the expense of the British orgs and public, pure unadulterated graft.

And London Org was driven over the edge financially as a result. They went insolvent because the IAS insisted they hold the event in a big fancy London Hotel which of course the org had to pay for. All the more opulence for Jeff to work his “magic” in!!

Nurse Pinch

Patron with Honors
"Around the year 2000, in Birmingham, England, the IAS insisted on us holding an IAS event “in exchange” for the What is Scientology? Cavalcade rolling into town as part of their UK tour"

This quote is backwards to me. I would have thought that the WIS? cavalcade was the IAS's exchange for the all the money the public had donated. I obviously have MUs (and evil purps) for thinking such a thing.

Pinchy.

freethinker

Sponsor
At one time I was very big on the IAS. I had the goal to become a Patron and achieved it. I got other people to donate and go to events.

After reading these stories I feel shame in having talked others into going and donating.

I want to see the IAS exposed for what it is.

Gutting a 75 year old woman for everything she has so DM can have an underwater deep see expedition boat on call at $1500 a day is beyond sick and heartless.

Slow torture over several years is too good for him but I'd like to see it done.

GoNuclear

Gold Meritorious Patron
how to have fun ...

My involvement with and leaving of Scientology was before the IAS era ... I was out by early 82. Some of the redging I got even back then for services and courses was still fairly intense, but, I am wondering how these redge cycles go at these IAS events, and how far in and how well known you have to be before the serious IAS redging starts.

What I have in mind is this ... have someone on the inside who, in his or her own mind, is pretty much out, strike a parting blow by wearing a wire, and I mean FULLY wired ... for audio AND video. For safety sake, he or she can have a script, some bogus checks or an already maxxed out credit card, etc. The idea would be to capture a full redge cycle for the web.

While the whole IAS redging thing sucks, having read some of the horror stories, I have to admit, I have an admiration for the redges. At an overweight, middle aged looking latter 50's kinda guy, I wish I had the skills of those redges when it comes to meeting really good looking women in their 30's.

Pete

rhill

Patron with Honors
Bankruptcy Rewarded By The Church of Scientology With Excommunication And Disconnection

"It will be found that those who will pay more were the most able to begin with and have the greatest value to others. Their worth as persons is greater."
— L. Ron Hubbard, HCOPL 9 May 1965 "Auditing Fees"

Thus, when she went bankrupt, her worth as a person went down the drain, and thereon the deeply religious Scientologists at the IAS couldn't be bothered to communicate with this worthless person.

Dulloldfart

Squirrel Extraordinaire
In the vein of this famous Monty Python skit:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=anwy2MPT5RE

I see the CofS is now offering a menu of:

Scam
Scam and books
Lower level auditing and scam
Scam, eligibility checks, and scam
Scam, scam, OT levels, and scam
Scam, scam, scam, IAS, and scam
Scam, scam, scam, scam, ideal orgs, and scam
And also pure scam, scam, scam, scam and scam.

Paul

cakemaker

Patron Meritorious
Does anyone know what LRH's involvement in the creation of the IAS was?

Over at Rathbun's blog there is a discussion going on about it.
Not surprisingly, a number of the posters there state that it was Miscavige's invention.
That just doesn't sound right to me.

It's the usual "LRH didn't know about bad stuff (like Snow White or Freakout)" in spite of evidence or witness testimony to the contrary.

Kha Khan

Patron Meritorious

Not surprisingly, a number of the posters there state that it was Miscavige's invention.

It's the usual "LRH didn't know about bad stuff (like Snow White or Freakout)" in spite of evidence or witness testimony to the contrary.
I've been keeping track of the Marty thread. That thread reflects their understanding, which I believe is correct, that LRH created or sanctioned the IAS. Their view is that LRH did it for a limited purpose -- i.e., to create a war chest to defeat the IRS or to fund a new organization if the IRS prevailed -- and that the IAS should have been disbanded once the IRS was defeated. Their view is also that LRH never intended the IAS to become what it became, and do what it has done -- i.e., suck money way from the Orgs, and to change the primary funding model from "pay for services" to "pay for imaginary status." They are not without a point.

/

"...The IAS was formed at Saint Hill Manor in East Grinstead, Sussex, England, in 1984 when delegates from around the world gathered in recognition of the need to unite all Scientologists as one international body..."

this is off the IAS website so could be lies.

Arthur Dent

Silver Meritorious Patron
from Kha Khan:
"Jeff Pomeranz showed up on the night to MC the whole thing, speaking long and pleadingly about the need to raise money for all the worthy causes in the world.

A couple of days later, when I found out Pomeranz had walked away with more than $12,000 of that money as his fee, I puked."

They are ruthless, criminal pigs. They are nothing more than the "Financial Police" for public. Superpower as well. And Jeff Pomerantz is a whiny spoiled robot IMHO. And who really says "scientology" like that anyway?? "SCIIIIIENNNNTOLLLLOGY!!!!!" Always made me gag.

Scientology seems to be morphing into the practice of making sacrifices to, and worshipping, buildings.

True. Ick.

cakemaker

Patron Meritorious
I've been keeping track of the Marty thread. That thread reflects their understanding, which I believe is correct, that LRH created or sanctioned the IAS. Their view is that LRH did it for a limited purpose -- i.e., to create a war chest to defeat the IRS or to fund a new organization if the IRS prevailed -- and that the IAS should have been disbanded once the IRS was defeated. Their view is also that LRH never intended the IAS to become what it became, and do what it has done -- i.e., suck money way from the Orgs, and to change the primary funding model from "pay for services" to "pay for imaginary status." They are not without a point.

/

I found this really interesting post by Larry Brennan (Lovinglife625) about the creation of the IAS and the real reasons behind it.

http://exscn.net/forum/showthread.php?p=81735