MARTY'S AUDIENCE IS "WOGS"

HelluvaHoax!

Platinum Meritorious Sponsor with bells on
Marty has the same problem that LRH and COB had to face.

How to keep a faithful audience of cult members faithfully in their seats & well-entertained so they don't get up and leave.

The #3 thing that cult leaders most fear (after #1 going to prison and #2 having their money taken away) is being abandoned by their adoring & faithful army of true-believing, order-taking, money-donating, standing-ovation-giving, grinning marks. But, how is a messianic leader to stop them from starting to narrow their eyes in troubled disbelief and eventually walking out?

Lying.

That has been the most successful action of L. Ron Hubbard, Captain Bill Robertson and David Miscavich.

It's a power-hat-turnover, to be quite frank, where you "duplicate" the same things your predecessor did and nothing works quite as good as a Big Lie in order to keep cult members winning. It is actually a brilliantly simple way to fix any situation because you don't need to do anything except make up a surrounding story that explains why white is black or black is white.

You can buy your way out of any awful problem with just words. This is a highly profitable equation compared to actually fixing real problems. For example, if the cult members feel slightly uncomfortable that you have committed a series of heinous felonies against an innocent Paulette Cooper, you can solve it by simply saying "That was done by SP infiltrators into our church, but we have now gotten rid of them!" or "The merchants of chaos are lying because we are having so many wins with our technology!". Better yet, you can tell them some lies to prevent them from looking at news stories or the internet about their own religion because it will harm their case and eternity. Cult members are quite fond of doing whatever it takes to save their eternities.

Marty knows how the game is played because that is virtually all he has done his entire life. Fix problems by lying, intimidating, tricking or terrorizing people.

This isn't to say that Marty doesn't have a good side that is trying to make it all work somehow and not have to keep lying. But right now this is greatest good and there is no other way to manage his indie cult.

Lying probably produces the same vague feeling of discomfort Marty had when he was physically beating fellow Sea Org staff members at the behest of David Miscavige.

Marty finally cognited that it might not be super-theta to pound Scientologists with his fists in order to help them. Hopefully one day he will have a similar cognition about lying to them.

But, for now, Marty knows only one way to keep the audience in their seats which is to keep spinning, spinning, spinning a web of ever expanding lies about the insanity and crimes of L. Ron Hubbard. He's doing it on a gradient, beginning with talking about the insanity and crimes of David Miscavich.

Maybe eventually he will realize that Ron was no different that COB.

And maybe then he will realize that he is no different than Ron when he is making up crazy stories every day to keep his little kingdom working and to seal off all the doors and windows from the awful truth about Scientology and Ron from filtering in.

Student of Trinity

Silver Meritorious Patron
That last point seems to me to have a ring of truth. If things don't work out quite swimmingly for Rathbun, and he gets to racking his brain a bit for ways to bring in the money, then I think the feeling that, "Hey, maybe Ron used to feel just like this!" might suddenly force itself on him. That might make everything finally crack for him — assuming that all his respect for Hubbard isn't already just put on for the audience, which as far as I can tell is also a possibility.

Smilla

Ordinary Human
Lying is such a casual act in Scientology, that I'm sure that some scientologists can lie without it registering in their awareness that they've even told a lie. They would be outraged if you pointed it out to them. They are in denial - or more correctly, in

Aggressive Denial.

This is the Scientologist's standard, reflexive response to any suggestion that Scientology itself is a lie, or liberally laced with lies. Aggressive Denial is a form of hatred reserved for non-Scientologists who tell them the truth.

ClearEyed

Patron with Honors
When I worked full-time at a high pressure job I used to listen to ABC Radio National on the way to/from work -- reporting on politics, national affairs, the economy, etc. My workplace and job were high-stress and depressing enough and I didn't need to hear more depressing and crazy news. So I switched to Classic FM. My blood pressure was at least normal when I arrived to work every day.

My point is, why even bother reading what M&M say? Why bother parsing it? Why try to make sense of it? Why get outraged? It's unparseable nonsense. To make sense of it implies one is still au fait with the ideas of Scientology and the lingo it's expressed in -- not a good look if one is trying to break free. Don't waste your outrage on this piddling stuff, save it for the big stuff. I think Student of Trinity has it right when he suggests Marty could be trying to work his way out of a pretty thick web of deceit. He may not be doing it exactly as others would like. Down the track a few years, he might be consumed with embarrassment when he rereads the things he's been wanking on about.

My advice is, stop reading his blog. Your blood pressure will come down and you won't spend as much time being outraged. Believe me, the world continues to turn and has no concern about what Marty thinks. What he thinks makes not a whit of difference to most people.

I'm not directing this to the OP -- just anyone who has the time to be reading crap and getting PO'd about it. It's just easier not to read it.

I agree there's no sense in trying to make sense of his rants. IMO he's just another wanna be cult-leader, but not bright or charismatic enough to make it happen. If DM hadn't turned on him, he'd still be DM's biggest fan, as long as he could remain his right hand man and continue to bask in the sunshine of his reflected glory.

IMO, Marty's blog is one big sour grape.

Sorry to say though, there are still those who crave that kind of watered down kool aid, and are still looking for a flag to rally round. This, I believe, is why many ex'es continue to concern themselves with his blog and it's effects.

Since Marty censors the comments on his blog, responding to it here is a good way to neutralize his poison. Comments here show up on a google search. And I say that's a good thing.

ClearEyed

Patron with Honors
I'm not sure you can ever really tell with somebody like Rathbun, whose whole life was so heavily invested in the cause of Scientology. Everybody who leaves after a long time has to have tremendous courage to accept that they've lost a lot of time that won't come back. I think it must be much harder for someone like Rathbun, who had risen high in the cult, because what he has to accept is a that much greater loss of status and achievement.

Rathbun may not be simply a fraudster trying to stake out his own spin-off cult. Part of him may be an intelligent seeker slowly working his way out from a thick web of deception. But even if that's so, part of him will still be a dedicated con artist, trying to con the rest of himself. Everybody has survival instincts, and even the different parts of a person's character have their own individual survival instincts. Part of Rathbun was RTC Inspector General for many years — a proud top member of a noble elite and a tough son of a bitch, to boot — at least in self-image. That part won't go down without a long, hard fight.

Being an honest seeker is exhausting and confusing, and a determined and ingenious con artist can easily wear the seeker down to the point where they accept some quite transparent excuses — for a while. So progress can be slow, with a lot of pauses during which the seeker's sincerity can seem quite doubtful, because the holes in the story they are accepting during those exhausted pauses can seem obvious.

It might be that Rathbun's inconsistent wobbles between defending Hubbard and admitting criticism are simply the hyena tactics of a shrewd manipulator; but maybe they represent his own slow struggle with himself.

Then again, he might simply be just another egotistical jerk who thrives on crowd adoration. His tool is Scientology. It could have beens something else. Like acting. Or saving souls for a donation. Or (shudder) politics.

anonomog

Gold Meritorious Patron
In Detention

(Christopher Van Wyk, 1979)

He fell from the ninth floor
He hanged himself
He slipped on a piece of soap while washing
He hanged himself
He slipped on a piece of soap while washing
He fell from the ninth floor
He hanged himself while washing
He slipped from the ninth floor
He hung from the ninth floor
He slipped on the ninth floor while washing
He fell from a piece of soap while slipping
He hung from the ninth floor
He washed from the ninth floor while slipping
He hung from a piece of soap while washing.​

Smilla

Ordinary Human
Marty's recruiting ground is very small and I'm sure he knows it. It's restricted to long time Scientologists in their twilight years who like to fantasise about the good old days that never were. That group will get smaller rather than larger, as time passes. Selah.

Veda

Sponsor
The signs are that Marty Rathbun will be attempting to make L. Ron Hubbard, and L. Ron Hubbard's Scientology, appealing to non-Scientologists,
LRH_legacy.jpg

while not alienating his already loyal blog audience.

Rathbun has to have an explanation for almost anything involving Hubbard, which somehow takes Hubbard off the hook.

On the matter of psychiatry, Rathbun seems to have hit a wall when confronted with Hubbard's 1980s-era HCOBs about psychiatrists being the cause of evil in the universe, and also the inventors of pain and sex.

It may be a temporary speed bump, since Rathbun has found a way to lie or spin his way around everything else. We'll see.

Morning talk show interviewer: "So, Mr. Rathbun, Mr. Hubbard, the man you regard as your spiritual leader and the preeminent teacher on mental health, let his wife go to prison in his place for crimes he masterminded, while he hid out and wrote science fiction novels that his organization bought in stacks, retail, so as to make them bestsellers, and then he wrote this about psychiatry, while collecting millions in cash without paying taxes..."

Mr. Rathbun: "Ah, well, not exactly, ah... he was in seclusion, and his comm lines, ah..."

Of course, if Marty Rathbun selects his interviewers carefully, and inundates them with "I like what you like," and "human rights," and "my religion," and "understanding," and "helping others," and "I'm fighting a popularly considered evil," etc., he might go from powder puff interview to powder puff interview, but it's going to be risky.

That's assuming that he's going to want to promote his book, and perhaps test the waters for the next book.

ILove2Lurk

Lisbeth Salander
This thread has some really brilliant conclusions by "getting-more-brilliant-by-the-day" posters I really enjoy. Thanks all for writing.

A point earlier in the thread about analyzing M&M's pronouncements brings to mind a quote I hold close to my heart and one that has given me much solace and clarity over the years:
Whenever a poet or preacher, chief or wizard spouts gibberish,
the human race spends centuries deciphering the message.

-
Umberto Eco

mind_control.gif

And that's so, so true. :duh:

And I fear we will. But it's a lotta fun for now. :yes:

ILove2Lurk

ILove2Lurk

Lisbeth Salander
First atomic bomb "Big Boy" being hoisted in place by Marty
and his team as we speak.

4954457612_c2db14d028_z.jpg

Careful now guys, take it nice and slow.

first_atomic_bomb.jpg

While many observers across the country pull
down their shielded eyeglasses,
ready to watch
what's gonna happen next.

An assembled group of curious ESMB members:

atomic_bomb_vip_observers.jpg

Marty's new book just might create an out-of-control firestorm
this summer
and evolve a new sub-sect of Indies . . . the Indies
who have fled from the Indies because of
squirreling by the Indies.

I don't what to call them actually.

Nowhere to run, nowhere to hide
They can't go back to the COS. They can't stay with the Indies
because of the real or perceived alterations and changes
by Marty
and company. And Marty's gonna do more than displace a
few
commas and colons, I have a feeling.

Could be the launch of The Golden Age of Internecine Conflict. :omg:

Petey C

Silver Meritorious Patron
What's wrong with outrage?

Well directed passion is a noble and fulfilling endeavor.

There is much work to be done in order to Clear earth (of its MU on the word Scientology). :biggrin:

Nothing at all wrong with outrage, it's a very fine emotion and one I dip into all the time. All I'm saying is don't waste it on M&M. They're a distraction IMO.

Ogsonofgroo

Crusader
IMHO Maty's audience is anyone who does "Oooooo Marteh you so smert!"

Frankly my gerbil makes much more sense, and its cheap, and fuzzy, and cute. None of this ressembles anything Hubbard.

:p

HelluvaHoax!

Lying is such a casual act in Scientology, that I'm sure that some scientologists can lie without it registering in their awareness that they've even told a lie. They would be outraged if you pointed it out to them. They are in denial - or more correctly, in

Aggressive Denial.

This is the Scientologist's standard, reflexive response to any suggestion that Scientology itself is a lie, or liberally laced with lies. Aggressive Denial is a form of hatred reserved for non-Scientologists who tell them the truth.

A Scientologist would be happy to pay for security checking which asked the question: "Did you fail to lie when it was greatest good for Clearing the planet?"

And if the question read, they would think it perfectly normal to start running their O/W's back earlier similar until they found the basic time they first went out-ethics.

Then they would feel VGIs and have their F/N indicated.

This is a win in Scientology.

That's why the Valuable Final Product of an org is: "The Wins of PC's and Pre-OT's".

Scientologists think they are "going up a bridge". It is a lot easier to think that way than realizing they are enlisted in a paramilitary mind control cult that us using them to gain money and power for its leaders.

HelluvaHoax!

Nothing at all wrong with outrage, it's a very fine emotion and one I dip into all the time. All I'm saying is don't waste it on M&M. They're a distraction IMO.

I'd like to agree with you, but. . .

I haven't yet found anything else other than distractions in Scientology. :biggrin:

HelluvaHoax!

The signs are that Marty Rathbun will be attempting to make L. Ron Hubbard, and L. Ron Hubbard's Scientology, appealing to non-Scientologists,
LRH_legacy.jpg

while not alienating his already loyal blog audience.

Rathbun has to have an explanation for almost anything involving Hubbard, which somehow takes Hubbard off the hook.

On the matter of psychiatry, Rathbun seems to have hit a wall when confronted with Hubbard's 1980s-era HCOBs about psychiatrists being the cause of evil in the universe, and also the inventors of pain and sex.

It may be a temporary speed bump, since Rathbun has found a way to lie or spin his way around everything else. We'll see.

Morning talk show interviewer: "So, Mr. Rathbun, Mr. Hubbard, the man you regard as your spiritual leader and the preeminent teacher on mental health, let his wife go to prison in his place for crimes he masterminded, while he hid out and wrote science fiction novels that his organization bought in stacks, retail, so as to make them bestsellers, and then he wrote this about psychiatry, while collecting millions in cash without paying taxes..."

Mr. Rathbun: "Ah, well, not exactly, ah... he was in seclusion, and his comm lines, ah..."

Of course, if Marty Rathbun selects his interviewers carefully, and inundates them with "I like what you like," and "human rights," and "my religion," and "understanding," and "helping others," and "I'm fighting a popularly considered evil," etc., he might go from powder puff interview to powder puff interview, but it's going to be risky.

That's assuming that he's going to want to promote his book, and perhaps test the waters for the next book.

Outstanding!

Risky indeed! Journalists and interviewers hungry for ratings will quickly learn Scientology's (and Marty's) achilles heel from screening previous interviews. That's why Hubbard stopped giving interviews. That's why Miscavige stopped giving interviews.

Right now Marty thinks he can do better. But he was an utter disaster on that 2012 radio talk show where the host annihilated him on the ludicrous "Xenu is an allegory" desperation answers Rathbun frantically threw out.

Unless he is overtly breaks away from Hubbard's Scientology, Marty too will soon retreat back into his allegorical Bluebird Motorhome like Ron.

Vittorio

Patron Meritorious
Outstanding!

Risky indeed! Journalists and interviewers hungry for ratings will quickly learn Scientology's (and Marty's) achilles heel from screening previous interviews. That's why Hubbard stopped giving interviews. That's why Miscavige stopped giving interviews.

Right now Marty thinks he can do better. But he was an utter disaster on that 2012 radio talk show where the host annihilated him on the ludicrous "Xenu is an allegory" desperation answers Rathbun frantically threw out.

Unless he is overtly breaks away from Hubbard's Scientology, Marty too will soon retreat back into his allegorical Bluebird Motorhome like Ron.

Rathbun was absolutely slaughtered on that radio show and was exposed for the evil f*** that he is...

I think even Terril does a better job of winning over wogs when he's out picketing.

HelluvaHoax!

Rathbun was absolutely slaughtered on that radio show and was exposed for the evil f*** that he is...

I think even Terril does a better job of winning over wogs when he's out picketing.

One of the intriguing parts of that radio show meltdown was Marty's unshakeable certainty that:

MARTY PLUS LIE TECH IS GREATER THAN WOGS

Unfortunately, Scientology only works with spooked beings called Scientologists.

Figuratively and literally spooked.

Ergo, BT tech.

Freeminds

Bitter defrocked apostate

I think that the only way to win over 'wogs' nowadays is... not to mention Scientology.

The corporate Cult agrees with me. Hence all the front groups. Hence the efforts to get people to have a "free stress test" or "free movie showing"... with no mention of L Ron Hubbard, Scientology and so forth. Because the simple fact is that if you mention Hubbardism, people run a mile. The simple fact is that three decades of PR disasters have left Scientology reeking of scandal, failure, loony fringe beliefs and extortion.

And of course, that's exactly the way L Ron Hubbard made Scientology. Like all of his scams, Scientology wasn't robust - it was only meant to last long enough for him to stay ahead of the law. Hence all the countries the 'Commodore' had to sail away from...

David Miscavige is weak, and is actually accelerating the decline... but the fundamental things that are wrong in Scientology are all Ron's work. Nobody will ever be able to Get Scientology Working while it has to remain Scientology. Marty never had a chance. He's obviously a stronger and more charismatic man than David Miscavige, and arguably closer to being rational... but both of them seem to have sworn to ride Hubbardism all the way down, in flames.

'Wogs' have no idea who Marty is. To a 'wog' the story doesn't progress much beyond "Scientology = wacky 1950s UFO cult", and they don't care whether the UFO beliefs are doled out by the Corporate Scientology Cult or the Cheapzone -- which they've never heard of, incidentally.

Good luck changing that, Marty. If you're serious about Getting Scientology Working, a good start would be to produce a 'Clear' for all the world to see.

(Of course, LRH tried that once, and died on his arse... Can you do better, Marty? No? Didn't think so. Scientology will continue melting away, then, like the Wicked Witch of the West. Ah well... who needs all that Cold War paranoia schtick, nowadays?)

HelluvaHoax!

I think that the only way to win over 'wogs' nowadays is... not to mention Scientology.

The corporate Cult agrees with me. Hence all the front groups. Hence the efforts to get people to have a "free stress test" or "free movie showing"... with no mention of L Ron Hubbard, Scientology and so forth. Because the simple fact is that if you mention Hubbardism, people run a mile. The simple fact is that three decades of PR disasters have left Scientology reeking of scandal, failure, loony fringe beliefs and extortion.

And of course, that's exactly the way L Ron Hubbard made Scientology. Like all of his scams, Scientology wasn't robust - it was only meant to last long enough for him to stay ahead of the law. Hence all the countries the 'Commodore' had to sail away from...

David Miscavige is weak, and is actually accelerating the decline... but the fundamental things that are wrong in Scientology are all Ron's work. Nobody will ever be able to Get Scientology Working while it has to remain Scientology. Marty never had a chance. He's obviously a stronger and more charismatic man than David Miscavige, and arguably closer to being rational... but both of them seem to have sworn to ride Hubbardism all the way down, in flames.

'Wogs' have no idea who Marty is. To a 'wog' the story doesn't progress much beyond "Scientology = wacky 1950s UFO cult", and they don't care whether the UFO beliefs are doled out by the Corporate Scientology Cult or the Cheapzone -- which they've never heard of, incidentally.

Good luck changing that, Marty. If you're serious about Getting Scientology Working, a good start would be to produce a 'Clear' for all the world to see.

(Of course, LRH tried that once, and died on his arse... Can you do better, Marty? No? Didn't think so. Scientology will continue melting away, then, like the Wicked Witch of the West. Ah well... who needs all that Cold War paranoia schtick, nowadays?)

If I was running Scientology, I would cut the chase with a single marketing campaign:

FREE MONEY & IMMORTALITY!
ASK ME HOW

Then when people came in the org, no matter what they asked me, I would TR III "Do you want to be rich and live forever or not?"

People who answered yes would be asked to fill out a comprehensive personal financial statement listing income, all assets & credit cards.

People who could not make up their mind would be routed onto the intro course called: PTS To The Lower Class & How To Shatter Being Degraded.

Last edited:

Smilla

Ordinary Human
To the general public Scientology is seen as being about as desirable as a case of rabies. The 'good name' of Scientology never existed, so it won't be returning. Lol. Anybody who thinks that Scientology of any flavour is salvageable is kidding themselves.

When Scientology was in comparatively better shape, and there were only a few critics it looked quite powerful, but now with the truth out in the open it looks pathetic.