What's new

Me, Patty, OSA, Gavino & those logs

Colleen K. Peltomaa

Silver Meritorious Patron
I do back up the database regularlyand I have someone trusted who has set up a backup site should something go wrong.

Would I be wrong in thinking that if there was any legal way to shut dowwn ESMB it would already have been attempted? Or am I being naive?

I seem to enjoy this melodrama! If CofS/OSA is a dying dragon, then watch out for that tail whip!

alex

Gold Meritorious Patron
I do back up the database regularlyand I have someone trusted who has set up a backup site should something go wrong.

Would I be wrong in thinking that if there was any legal way to shut dowwn ESMB it would already have been attempted? Or am I being naive?

My feeling is that the church is no longer in the mood to directly confront people and thus you would seem safe.

But professionally, I generate intellectual property and license it for my income. I can shut down a web site with a letter to the hosting company, if any of my intellectual property shows up there unauthorized.

Only done it once. And its temporary if the material is removed.

In the US this is one aspect of the DMCA. Digital Millenium copyright act.

You would be wise to point out the paypal link at the bottom of every page to folks, (bottom right folks) and spend a few hundred of the result, in a consult with a lawyer who specializes in intellectual property issues in your country. Find out what your rights are, and how much it would cost to defend them, and find what the potential liabilities are. Just for peace of mind and planning purposes.

imo

alex

Veda

Sponsor
You're probably correct, Emma.

Multiple backups would tend to make the Cult bullies and snakes back off.

All I can recommend is that, without becoming overly cautious, be mindful of the "Church's" history of behavior, and its tactics, of which trickery is the favorite, and continue to do what you have been doing.

The Scientology Cult never expected the Internet, and things like Newsgroups and Message Boards. The world is communicating to the world, while Scientology paces in a circle, muttering about others "yapping."

Freedom is winning.

Zinjifar

Silver Meritorious Sponsor

All I can recommend is that, without becoming overly cautious, be mindful of the "Church's" history of behavior, and its tactics, of which trickery is the favorite, and continue to do what you have been doing.

The Scientology Cult never expected the Internet, and things like Newsgroups and Message Boards. The world is communicating to the world, while Scientology paces in a circle, muttering about others "yapping."

Freedom is winning.

I would suggest one thing. It's a given that the 'Church' is following things here, and, if there's a worry about a subpoena of records; not the actual posts, but the IP logs etc. it's probably a good idea to routinely delete them. There's little reason to keep them, and, they would be available from the hosting service, if it got down to it, but, it's a standard journalist practice to destroy notes, since they can be subpoenaed and to destroy them to avoid handing them over can very well be illegal. However, there's nothing illegal about deleting them regularly and, it's good practice.

Zinj

Dulloldfart

Squirrel Extraordinaire
I would suggest one thing. It's a given that the 'Church' is following things here, and, <snip>

I find it amusing that we are essentially forcing someone considered trustworthy by the top-of-the-heap guys in the CofS to read all this seditious stuff for hours every day. :)

Paul

alex

Gold Meritorious Patron

Freedom is winning.

The danger is not that some chicanery would befall the forum and its archive wiped out. A simple backup tape solves that.

The danger would be if the church could put Emma in a position where it was no longer financially viable to continue.

1. find a copyright or trademark violation, or an instance of libel.

2. Compel Emma to legally defend herself. Whoops, there goes the life savings and the board.

The defense against this is understanding the legal ramifications of her moderation and having friends who would be willing to use the link at the lower right corner of each page.

alex

Zinjifar

Zinjifar,

I wasn't aware that you had been admitted to the Queen's Bar in Australia.

What makes you think you are qualified to dispense legal advice?

The Sneakster

I Am Not A Lawyer and not even pretending otherwise.

Smart journalists routinely destroy their notes. I've never heard of any law that required anyone to maintain logs or notes, whether in the US or Australia (or anywhere in the civilized world.) Shield Laws tend to differ, and the application of them can be pretty arbitrary even where they exist. Which is why one *routinely* destroys logs, unless there's some reason to keep them.

Naturally, I'd suggest asking a lawyer about *keeping* them, and how 'secure' that could be considered, but, I would delete things on a regular basis as a sensible precaution.

Zinj

Zinjifar

Alex, the "helpful" rattlesnake.

Don'tcha think the Cult Awareness Network wishes it'd had a policy of deleting its records?

Not the current one, of course. That bought the records of years of desperate families trying save their children from Cults. Especially the 'Church' of Scientology...

Zinj

Veda

Sponsor
Don'tcha think the Cult Awareness Network wishes it'd had a policy of deleting its records?

Not the current one, of course. That bought the records of years of desperate families trying save their children from Cults. Especially the 'Church' of Scientology...

Zinj

I agree with you.

alex

Gold Meritorious Patron
Hi

kiss kiss kiss :smooch:

my ass

:coolwink:

I feel so powerful being so dangerous!:happydance: :happydance:

(at least to you)

alex (sorry Emma I couldnt resist)

Last edited by a moderator:

alex

Gold Meritorious Patron

Quite frankly I think my advice is better protection of this forum, as it empowers the creator, as opposed to yours which suggests ways to deal with what happens after she would have been destroyed.

If you look at the tactics available to the church and their past behavior, an attack on legal lines would be the most likely and possibly most fruitful.

I am not a lawyer, but I deal with several regularly, and once was a student of law.

Spending a few hundred dollars getting "hatted" on how to stay clear of legal issues is good advice.

Not that I predict any problems. Nor do I want to create a sense of worry.

Nor do I want to "play" with you.

I would honestly enjoy it if you could loosen up with me a bit.

You know things I dont. Even though I disagree with much of what I have heard from you.

alex

Last edited:

Veda

Sponsor
Hi

kiss kiss kiss :smooch:

my ass

:coolwink:

I feel so powerful being so dangerous!:happydance: :happydance:

(at least to you)

alex (sorry Emma I couldnt resist)
You're not dangerous to me. I feel sorry for you.

Last edited by a moderator:

Terril park

Sponsor

Andreas has had plenty of attacks on his website. Have their been any on the message boards specifically? If so that may give a clue as to any
future action re ESMB.

The Oracle

Gold Meritorious Patron
I posted this to ars and now I'm posting it here for those who don't read ars and want to read it.

Dear Emma,

Thank you for sharing this very private and hurtful time in your life with us.

You were under a lot of stress and abuse and emotional blackmail while constantly being threatened with enormous losses.

Everything I read reminded me of why I jumped ship when I did.

I am so glad it is all behind you now. You have been faced with very difficult decisions while being hit with a lot of force that amounts to extortion, blackmail, and sadism.

I am glad we are here to be your friends and support you now.

I trust you. You are a whale rider!

T.I.

Last edited: