What's new

Media now that the HBO documentary has aired

Free to shine

Shiny & Free
The segment I posted about before just aired. "The Project" is a prime time Australian tv, an hour long sort of quick commentary thing on daily events and the segments are short.

The Going Clear segment did a nice little intro with the Cruise connection, blackmail threats and so on with clips from the film. Then they interviewed an entertainment personality from LA and asked if this was all a 'one sided documentary' as has been inferred by scientology. He said, "well you have to look at the producer Alex Gibney" and went on to show his past credentials, which of course are very impressive. It left you with a feeling of "Ohhh... this guy is the best of the best, so he should be telling the truth." Or at the least it can't ALL be totally false.

I think they were trying to be 'balanced' but one of the aspects of this program is they like to make fun of everything. I was waiting for it ... and it turned out to be a story from one of the presenters, Fitzy, who apparently ran into Jenna Elfman while he was in LA. He had recently had a knee reconstruction (he'd been a footballer) and while talking to her she asked him about his sore knee - and then told him she could fix that!

Well he was delighted, expecting some wonderful doctor or physio. He went to the address (back in Australia) he was sent to, still expecting that, and it turned out to be an org! There was a group of people there who said they had been waiting for him, obviously Jenna had let them know a VIP was coming, which made him rather nervous. Then they got him to watch some movie down in a deep basement, about a kid having his leg healed and when the movie finished it all went pitch black. He was totally freaked out and left as soon as the light came on. He gave a false name and address , but as another presenter said "They know who you are now....!" It was really good and the consensus was "they are creepy."

I'm not sure it will be possible to link to one of their numerous segments, but if so I will.

Last edited:

JustSheila

Crusader
The Daily Mail has also reported on the Leah Remini and Lisa Marie Presley tweets.

'Thank you for being brave': Scientology dissenters Lisa Marie Presley and Leah Remini lead celebrity applause for documentary that reveals shocking details about the secretive religion

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...eals-shocking-details-secretive-religion.html

* * * * * BEGIN EXCERPT * * * * *

Leah Remini and Lisa Marie Presley were Scientologists, they have tweeted commending the documentary and its shocking claims

Going Clear documentary claims to reveal secrets of Scientology religion

It alleges the church has a 'blackmail file' on John Travolta from auditing sessions and members are thrown into 'The Hole' to confess their crimes and vie for places by playing musical chairs to Bohemian Rhapsody

Sylvia 'Spanky' Taylor, who once acted as the intermediary between the church and John Travolta, said people were punished with 30 hours labour

* * * * * END EXCERPT * * * * *

Lol! The article is definite, Lisa's statement was not. It leaves it open for her to deny if she chooses, but she won't. We know how she feels. Clever. :thumbsup:

Ah, c'mon Priscilla... you're no spring chicken. Time to do something noble like other aging celebs have done. I still think Priscilla Presley will come through for us this year, and Lisa will be more outspoken.

CommunicatorIC

@IndieScieNews on Twitter
The Diamondback - The University of Maryland Independent Student Newspaper:

'Going Clear' hits hard against Scientology

http://www.diamondbackonline.com/diversions/movies/article_7855a4c8-d734-11e4-93f8-ab30ae553345.html

* * * * * BEGIN EXCERPT * * * * *

he Church of Scientology has been hit. Hard.

On Sunday night, HBO premiered Going Clear: Scientology and the Prison of Belief, documentarian Alex Gibney’s film on the highly secretive, controversial cult that had already opened to much buzz at film festivals and in a limited theatrical release. The Church, which is notorious for aggressive harassment of its critics, will surely have a lot of work to do responding to Gibney’s jaw-dropping work, a piece that can only be described as a devastating blow for Scientology.

# # # # # END EXCERPT # # # # #

Lone Star

Crusader
TMZ is still silent, btw.

I think DM and TC could get caught naked together and TMZ would be the only outlet in the world not reporting it.

It's ok TMZ....it's not the 90s anymore. You can report Scn news. :eyeroll:

Ah never mind....just tell us when the Kardashians are ovulating instead. Did Bieber copulate last night?

JustSheila

Crusader
<snip>
I think they were trying to be 'balanced' but one of the aspects of this program is they like to make fun of everything. I was waiting for it ... and it turned out to be a story from one of the presenters, Fitzy, who apparently ran into Jenna Elfman while he was in LA. He had recently had a knee reconstruction (he'd been a footballer) and while talking to her she asked him about his sore knee - and then told him she could fix that!

Well he was delighted, expecting some wonderful doctor or physio. He went to the address (back in Australia) he was sent to, still expecting that, and it turned out to be an org! There was a group of people there who said they had been waiting for him, obviously Jenna had let them know a VIP was coming. Then they got him to watch some movie down in a deep basement, about a kid having his leg healed and when the movie finished it all went pitch black. He was totally freaked out and left as soon as the light came on. He gave a false name and address , but as another presenter said "They know who you are now....!" It was really good and the consensus was "they are creepy."

I'm not sure it will be possible to link to one of their numerous segments, but if so I will.

:spitcoffee:

:hysterical: :hysterical: :footbullet:

OMG, FTS, that is SO funny! Does the comedy show ever end?! Nothing like proving to Fitzy without a shadow of a doubt that this is one sneaky, creepy cult! Trying to pull a bait & switch on one of the television media presenters? Crikey, it's like they've all forgotten the entire concept of honesty.

Desperate. Cult is desperate. :hysterical:

Free to shine

Shiny & Free
:spitcoffee:

:hysterical: :hysterical: :footbullet:

OMG, FTS, that is SO funny! Does the comedy show ever end?! Nothing like proving to Fitzy without a shadow of a doubt that this is one sneaky, creepy cult! Trying to pull a bait & switch on one of the television media presenters? Crikey, it's like they've all forgotten the entire concept of honesty.

Desperate. Cult is desperate. :hysterical:

Fitzy played it to the hilt for laughs as well. I've checked the site and it looks like it's not a segment from today that they have chosen to upload. Shame.

Free to shine

Shiny & Free
I'm glad this is getting some publicity

The Shelly Miscavige Story Is One Of The More Confusing Things About Scientology For Outsiders Looking In
But it’s the seven-year “absence” of Scientology-queen Shelly Miscavige that has prompted questions. After all, financial conundrums and rumors of church compounds aren’t exactly surprising in the world of religion — nor are they as difficult to dig up. For an organization that prides itself on transparency (see the “Meet a Scientologist” segment on the Church’s official website — similar to the Mormon Church’s “I’m a Mormon” campaign), Shelly’s story is baffling to outsiders.

The perpetually poised and graceful Shelly had been trotting through official appearances on husband David’s arm for years — until she suddenly vanished from the public eye in 2007. “They’d say, ‘Oh, she’s on a special project,’ or ‘Oh, she’s visiting a sick relative,’” one former member claimed in an interview with Vanity Fair in March 2014, upon asking for Shelly’s whereabouts.
http://www.bustle.com/articles/7305...hings-about-scientology-for-outsiders-looking

Free to shine

Shiny & Free
More Scientology Secrets Revealed In Bombshell IRS Documents — Church Spent $1.2M On Lobbying Alone

According to the CCHR 2013 tax return, during a four-year period the organization spent $1,283,052 on lobbying costs. Specifically, they shelled out $32,382 to influence public opinion, and $97,147 in direct lobbying to a legislative body.

At the beginning of the year, CCHR had $223,797 in cash, non-interest bearing, and $115,687 at the end of 2013.

Total revenue was $2,343,777, and the organization spent $889,205 on advertising and promotion.

http://radaronline.com/exclusives/2015/03/church-scientology-irs-tax-returns-lobbying/

Free to shine

Shiny & Free
More!

HBO’s ‘Going Clear’ Triggers New Scrutiny of Scientology’s Tax-Exempt Status

In fact, actress Mia Farrow tweeted damning words about the organization and shared a petition to revoke its tax-exempt status to her more than 640,000 followers on Monday.

“#Scientology is a thuggish, dangerous, cruel cult. Sign petition to revoke their tax exempt status https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/petition/revoke-scientologys-tax-exempt-status … #GoingClear,” she wrote.

“This issue is not about whether Scientology is a religion,” Gibney told TheWrap. “The issue is whether or not Scientology is pursuing policies that are not in the public interest.”

The government simply needs to determine whether there’s a “fundamental overriding interest” in declassifying an organization involved in the above activities as exempt from taxation.

http://www.thewrap.com/hbos-going-clear-reignites-scrutiny-of-scientologys-tax-exempt-status/

Lol! The article is definite, Lisa's statement was not. It leaves it open for her to deny if she chooses, but she won't. We know how she feels. Clever. :thumbsup:

Ah, c'mon Priscilla... you're no spring chicken. Time to do something noble like other aging celebs have done. I still think Priscilla Presley will come through for us this year, and Lisa will be more outspoken.

Looks like she has been threatened about what will happen if she mentions scientology in a bad way - so she mentions the bad way, but not "scientology".

MissWog

Silver Meritorious Patron
The segment I posted about before just aired. "The Project" is a prime time Australian tv, an hour long sort of quick commentary thing on daily events and the segments are short.

The Going Clear segment did a nice little intro with the Cruise connection, blackmail threats and so on with clips from the film. Then they interviewed an entertainment personality from LA and asked if this was all a 'one sided documentary' as has been inferred by scientology. He said, "well you have to look at the producer Alex Gibney" and went on to show his past credentials, which of course are very impressive. It left you with a feeling of "Ohhh... this guy is the best of the best, so he should be telling the truth." Or at the least it can't ALL be totally false.

Well he was delighted, expecting some wonderful doctor or physio. He went to the address (back in Australia) he was sent to, still expecting that, and it turned out to be an org! There was a group of people there who said they had been waiting for him, obviously Jenna had let them know a VIP was coming, which made him rather nervous. Then they got him to watch some movie down in a deep basement, about a kid having his leg healed and when the movie finished it all went pitch black. He was totally freaked out and left as soon as the light came on. He gave a false name and address , but as another presenter said "They know who you are now....!" It was really good and the consensus was "they are creepy."

I'm searching google news for Scientology and this just came up within the hour...havnt watched it myself, we have Curious George on and I can't play anything that might disturb wee man LOL

http://www.news.com.au/entertainmen...tology-encounter/story-fnndfy6b-1227286867702

JBWriter

Happy Sapien
Pretty awkward for Kirstie Alley. Is she going to badmouth Lisa Marie now? I thought they were besties.

Well, Kirstie Alley 'disconnected' from her former Dancing With The Stars partner, Maksim Chmerkovsky, when he was photographed hanging out with notorious SP, Leah Remini.

KA immediately unfollowed him on Twitter. Link here for details: http://www.people.com/article/maksim-chmerkovskiy-kirstie-alley-dwts-feud

So let's see if Kirstie Alley unfollows Lisa Marie Presley on Twitter.

JB

MissWog

Silver Meritorious Patron
Twitter search trick..

You can enter any search term on Twitter and add “filter:verified” and your results will only show verified users and tweets from verified

goingclear filter:verified
scientology filter:verified
disconnection filter:verified

JBWriter

Happy Sapien
"Hot Slut of the Day" is...David Miscavige in We Stand Tall!

Link here: http://dlisted.com/2015/03/31/hot-slut-of-the-day-603/

Excerpt:

Because I was busy scooting my sloppy ass across the East Coast this weekend, I didn’t get to see HBO’s crazy and creepy Scientology documentary Going Clear until last night. What’s crazy to me is that a multi-million dollar cult was born from some sci-fi pulp fiction books. I mean, if a multi-million dollar cult was born from Jackie Collins’ Lucky Santangelo series, that would make sense to me, because those books are actually hot. Shit, I’d probably be in that cult. I’d probably be the Spanky Taylor of Santangelology. What’s also crazy to me is that Radio Shack declared bankruptcy. Scientology probably spends millions upon millions on buying wires to make their stupid E-Meter cans with and to tap people’s phones, so you’d think that as long as they lived, Radio Shack would live.

:lol:

JB

Intentionally Blank

Scientology Widow
"Hot Slut of the Day" is...David Miscavige in We Stand Tall!

Link here: http://dlisted.com/2015/03/31/hot-slut-of-the-day-603/

Excerpt:

:lol:

JB

Wow.

Media, you've come a long way, baby. From being afraid to even hint at criticizing scientology to the above listed MUST READ (but, fair warning, don't drink and read, trust me)

Excerpt:
"To celebrate making the IRS their bottom bitch, Scientology shat up a music videoin 1990 that was like a “We Are The World” from the deep depths of Hell. The videoshows some of the high-ranking bridge queens singing some shitty song in between shots of their brainwashed members smiling. Hmmmm, I wonder why they didn’t include footage of some their members getting beaten while doing hard labor?"

http://dlisted.com/2015/03/31/hot-slut-of-the-day-603/

TG1

Angelic Poster
I dunno..that article pissed me off.. Saying Tony mocks Scientology? She needs to read his blog sometime! I don't see him mocking them?? She correct about the rest of it but judgy comments like that make me feel irked!

I thought that article was poor. The author (Alyssa Rosenberg) basically says the film mocks Scientology and Scientologists and that if people were really serious about helping Scientologists leave the cult they would be more respectful of them and their beliefs and that our empathy would help them leave.

I LOLed. Ms. Rosenberg apparently has never met any actual Scientologists.

:roflmao: