What's new

Media now that the HBO documentary has aired

Karen#1

Gold Meritorious Patron
He says about the $25,000,000.00 spent on surveilling him during his court case "That's real money."

What he leaves unsaid is "That's real tax-free money subsidised by you and me in the community."

Tick tock.

To be fair, at that time the Cult was not Tax exempt. Tax Exemption was 1993

Jump

Operating teatime

Thanks for the clarification.

Can somebody explain again why an organisation like this was given the exemption?

( Yeah - rhetorical question :eyeroll: )

imSPecial

Patron with Honors

Karen#1,

Although the exemption didn't happen till 1993 the $1 billion taxes on pre-exemption income was never paid and the bill was forgiven so it may as well be said the way Jump says it!

Jump

Operating teatime
Karen#1,

Although the exemption didn't happen till 1993 the $1 billion taxes on pre-exemption income was never paid and the bill was forgiven so it may as well be said the way Jump says it!

Good point - and over a billion $ in unpaid taxes was owed at the time.

Karen or JSwift might have the figures handy?

Jump

Operating teatime

For the Aussies:

I got this of Sydney Morning Herald entertainment pages:

Lid lifted on Scientology
The controversial HBO documentary Going Clear: Scientology and the Prison of Belief has set a ratings record in the US, drawing 1.7 million viewers to its debut screening,
a figure expected to double once subsequent broadcasts, DVR playback and plays on the HBO streaming service HBO Go are factored in.

The documentary will screen at the Sydney Film Festival and then go into cinemas in June.

It will air on Foxtel's Showcase channel later this year, as part of Foxtel's overall deal with HBO.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/entertainment...ton-finale-20150402-1mdc0n.html#ixzz3WUmQdXH1

From Sydney Film Festival Website: ( Festival is 3-14 June 2015 )

SFFGoingClear_zps43alllxt.jpg

Venues

Sydney Film Festival spans across the city, with venues screening films and hosting talks. The Sydney Film Festival 2014 venues are:

State Theatre
Sydney Film Festival Hub @ Town Hall
Event Cinemas George Street
Dendy Opera Quays
Hayden Orpheum Picture Palace, Cremorne
Art Gallery of NSW
SFFTV @ Martin Place Amphitheatre
Apple Store

Free to shine

Shiny & Free
Tony O has posted this, another great article.

Mike Rowe uses Facebook to rip Scientology over the treatment of his friend Spanky Taylor

On Sunday night Mike Rowe, the former Dirty Jobs host and current star of CNN’s Somebody’s Gotta Do It, used his Facebook page to vent over the treatment of Spanky Taylor that’s described in Alex Gibney’s documentary about Scientology, Going Clear. Spanky was one of eight former Church of Scientology members who appeared in the film to talk about how they got into the church but later broke away, and Spanky’s story about being assigned to the Sea Org’s prison detail and having to save her young child from a filthy group nursery is one of the most shocking parts of the movie.

“Going Clear made me angry,” Rowe wrote after explaining that he employed Spanky and knew her story, but was still stunned by what he saw in the movie. “And if you’re offended by bullies and opportunists who take advantage of people at their most vulnerable, and an IRS that seems both craven and manipulable, it’ll make you angry too.”
http://tonyortega.org/2015/04/06/mi...er-the-treatment-of-his-friend-spanky-taylor/

scooter

Gold Meritorious Patron

For the Aussies:

I got this of Sydney Morning Herald entertainment pages:

From Sydney Film Festival Website: ( Festival is 3-14 June 2015 )

SFFGoingClear_zps43alllxt.jpg

Venues

Sydney Film Festival spans across the city, with venues screening films and hosting talks. The Sydney Film Festival 2014 venues are:

State Theatre
Sydney Film Festival Hub @ Town Hall
Event Cinemas George Street
Dendy Opera Quays
Hayden Orpheum Picture Palace, Cremorne
Art Gallery of NSW
SFFTV @ Martin Place Amphitheatre
Apple Store

Hmmmm .... :hmm:

Begs the question - how do "we" get to the premiere of this bonanza of humungous enthetaness at the Sydney Fill Festival? SPs like me need to know !!! :omg:

The Sloth

Patron with Honors
Hmmmm .... :hmm:

Begs the question - how do "we" get to the premiere of this bonanza of humungous enthetaness at the Sydney Fill Festival? SPs like me need to know !!! :omg:

http://www.sff.org.au/public/tickets/book-tickets/

[h=2]SUBSCRIPTIONS[/h] 2015 Subscriptions are now on sale. Click here for more information. Subscriptions close Friday 17 April.
KEY 2015 SALE DATES
- Opening and Closing Night films will be on sale in mid-April.
- All films will be on sale Wednesday 6 May.
SINGLE TICKET PRICES
Adult $19.50
Concession$16.50
Group of 10+$15.50
Child 17 and under (classified films only)
$10
Opening Night Gala (film and afterparty)
$125
Opening Night Gala (film only)/ concession
$28/$25
Closing Night/ concession$28/ $25

Lulu Belle

Moonbat
http://www.laineygossip.com/Tom-Cru...ther-and-will-Going-Clear-affect-Cruise/38108

Hey La Luh La, it’s Tom Cruise

Tom Cruise and son Connor were in Tampa, Florida last night watching the NCAA Women’s Final Four Semi featuring Maryland and Connecticut. Tom’s been in London for several months working onMission: Impossible Rogue Nation. The movie opens July 31st. So I hope they’re done shooting. Because that doesn’t leave a lot of time in post.

In other Tom news…

It’s been a week since Going Clear aired on HBO in the US. As mentioned last week, the doc is getting a theatrical release here in Canada on May 8th which is also when it’ll be available On Demand. That SNL Neurotology sketch that I posted about in today’s open? It’s based on real Scientology video – see below – from 1990 that features a young David Miscavige, Tom’s Xenu brother, who, in his youth, looks remarkably like his celebrity best friend. Hilariously the song is called We Stand Tall. Which neither Cruise or Miscavige do, naturally, but there are ways around that.

So how does Going Clear affect Cruise? Does it?

People saw it. People talked about it. Will they keep talking about it? Or, by July, will they all have forgotten in the summer heat?

I just realized "Hey Lah Lu Lah" is the refrain from "We Stand Tall".

And I wonder why Cruise is in Tampa? Think he's doing something at Flag?

Last edited:

Northern Shewolf

Patron Meritorious
I believe that the acclimatisation is not perfect and it favours short bursts of exercise and not prolonged exercise. So escape would still be a problem after a few months.

I was at a high altitude a few days ago. One of the women I met said that the pace of the town was slower and that she always felt tired.
I read this and a fleeting thought about the Japanese soldier alone on a tiny China sea island, out comm, and unaware that WWII has been over for 20some years.....This mountain base where it is suspected Shelley is ensconsed may face a similar fate...would Devil Mishisbitch be paying attention to his far away exiles when the entire shit-ship is going down? hum....
Eventually someone media-linked will brave this wilderness outpost just for the sake of squeasing this lemon to the last drop.:yes:

CommunicatorIC

@IndieScieNews on Twitter
Junkee: Everyone Is Making Fun Of Scientology Again After HBO’s Controversial ‘Going Clear’ Doco

http://junkee.com/everyone-is-makin...ter-hbos-controversial-going-clear-doco/54538

The article has a nice compilation of Scientology and Going Clear videos to date.

* * * * * BEGIN EXCERPT * * * * *

Scientology has been lurking on the fringes of pop culture for some time now — from the first scriptures put forth from a sci-fi turned self-help writer in the early 1950s, to that time Tom Cruise tried to kill Oprah with lasers from his mind.

And, as those are pretty much the main distinguishing features of this Very Serious Religion About An Alien Called Xenu, it’s understandably been an easy target for mockery. Seinfeld had a cheeky dig at it in the ’90s. South Park based a whole episode around it. Cracked and Funny or Die have entire sections of their sites devoted to it.

After a while, this all petered out; it was probably a combination of the jokes being too easy and the stakes being too high. South Park creators Matt Stone and Trey Parker were reportedly investigated by Scientologists for years after their controversial 2005 episode. And really: reaffirming the fact that Tom Cruise and John Travolta are a bit creepy, just ain’t worth that kind of fuss.

But now, following the recent release of Going Clear: Scientology and the Prison of Belief, it’s all cranking back into gear. Filmmaker Alex Gibney and HBO hired 160 lawyers to back up their claims, and the methodical takedown of the church has been critically-acclaimed as a “jaw dropping expose”. Despite their appeals otherwise, it seems like Scientology is fair game again, and the US has come out all galactic laser guns blazing.

* * * * * END EXCERPT * * * * *

Jump

Operating teatime

Attention Aussies !

Tom Devocht interviewed with Bryan Seymour on the HBO documentary "Going Clear"

Hurray for Bryan and Tom.

Tom just posted on Facebook :

Probably TODAY TONIGHT - I think it's after the news ?

I will haunt 7 tonight :)