ESMB has entered archive mode. All posts and threads that were available to the general public are still readable. The board is still searchable. 

Thank you all for your participation and readership over the last 12 years.

If you want to join in the conversation, please join the new ESMB Redux at www.exscn2.net.

Meditation, Yoga and other practices

Discussion in 'Evaluating and Criticising Scientology' started by Tom_Booth, Apr 19, 2014.

1. Tom_Booth

Tom_Booth Patron with Honors

I recently joined Scientology staff in Harlem NY.

Before signing up, though, I had quite a go round over the issue of meditation.

Over the phone, beforehand, I was asked if I practiced meditation or yoga or anything of that sort and I said yes. I was asked: you know, when you join staff you won't be able to meditate. right ?

I did some searching online of the subject and found a few posts from people who said the same thing, that as a Scientologist they were not allowed to meditate as this was considered "mixing practices".

This was a rather big issue for me. I had practiced dozens of different forms of meditation over the years. In fact, It seemed to me that many Scientology practices could very well be classified as "meditation".

I also had a problem with the commitment form which said that I believe Scientology is the ONLY way to reach these high spiritual states. Even Hubbard stated that there were at least some Buddahs in the past. Some people managed to reach enlightenment before 1950.

I was rather taken back by the whole thing and basically said I wasn't joining under those circumstances and that I could not honestly say that I really believed Scientology was the "ONLY" way.

Well, I had it pointed out to me that the commitment form itself did not say I couldn't meditate. The "only" was crossed off.

The issue came up again though. I also overheard conversations around the Church AFTER I did sign up, regarding how Scientologists are not allowed to meditate.

At Sunday Service, after the reading of the Creed of the Church of Scientology I spoke up.

According to this creed, I said, "We of the Church Believe: ... That all men have inalienable rights to their own religious practices and their performance ... And that no agency less than God has the power to suspend or set aside these rights overtly or covertly" ... I've been hearing this rumor going around that Scientologists are not allowed to meditate. Meditation in one form or another is a part of nearly every religion. I asked for some clarification on the issue.

Later, after the services I was referred to the auditors code which does indeed say: "Never mix the processes of Scientology with those of various other practices." This was not new news.

I pointed out that auditing someone at the Church or wherever and then going home and meditating or practicing yoga or whatever in private is not mixing the processes of Scientology with anything. Further it states explicitly: "The Auditor’s Code governs the activity of the auditor during sessions."

That is, the Auditor during an auditing session should not be trying to get the person to count rosary beads or chant Hare Krishna or any such thing as that, which I can certainly agree with. It doesn't say anything about what anybody can do outside of an auditing session.

There was no response. It did come up in conversation again, and someone again voiced that opinion that meditation was not allowed if you are a staff member. I said: "Define Meditation".

I pointed out that there are thousands of different ways to meditate. The definition of meditation in a standard dictionary include thought or thinking. I also asked everyone and anyone who held this opinion regarding meditation to show me some LRH reference to that effect because I never thought in a million years it would be any kind of a problem since Hubbard himself mentions that he was taught "Asian practices" in Dianetics.

He wrote Hymn of Asia, dedicated to Buddhism. In the lectures he says Scientology history traces back to the Veda, to Buddhism, Taoism, etc. All meditation practices. If I feel like contemplating a red triangle in the privacy of my own mind who's to say I can't ? You can't make a prohibition against something without defining it. What sort of thinking exactly constitutes "meditation".

The most frequent response I got was something like: "I don't know anything about meditation." or "meditation is meditation".

I'm still not sure what if any actual policy exists regarding meditation or other practices, but it seems to me that the Creed, read aloud at every Sunday service is rather definitive. Nobody has a right to tell anybody they can't practice whatever religious exercises they choose.

I'm kind of just wondering how many other people have run into this issue while in Scientology. Did it bother you ? What was the outcome ? Was it ever resolved ?

It seems quite plain that Hubbard himself meditated. What else could he have meant by "Asian practices" that he states that he was taught. That he studied. Basically he offered that as part of his credentials. It's at least, in part what made him something of an authority on the subject of the mind. He studied meditation in Asia !

2. AnonKat

AnonKat Crusader

Do you know why ? Those activities can make you think clearly

Oh and Hubbard always meditated over how to get more money

Image and Appereance ore key to the conman, actual practice of what you preach not so much.

advance0026000.jpg

This made me smile

krishna-christ.jpg

Last edited: Apr 19, 2014
  3. billyd

billyd Patron with Honors

I believe that not only did he study the buddist tech but incorporated it into his creation of Scientology. He introduced the eight fold path to enlightenment as praticed by the buddist and even started us off on TRo which is a form of buddist meditation,To (be here now. ) The only reason that the mixed practises was introduced was to make sure that you only spent your time and money on Scientology.
    There are many creeds and rules in the church of SCI that contradict.I wonder if the staff really know what they are talking about. Scientology is a rip off religion.The tech is nothing newIts principals go back thousands of years. LRH just modified it to suit his own ends. CONTROL and MONEY.

4. Veda

Veda Sponsor

Under 'High Crimes (Suppressive Acts)' in Scientology's "Ethics" system is the prohibition on:

8. "Dependency on other mental or philosophical procedures than Scientology..."

There would also likely be other "technical reasons" why meditation would be frowned upon. It would be regarded as "self auditing," and something that would "stir up the case," causing you to need auditing repairs, etc.

It comes down to the idea that, since Scientology is THE answer, why mess it up with other practices?

As for "The Creed of the Church of Scientology," that's meant for you to repeat to others when they say that Scientology is bad or is authoritarian, or that it's not a religion. It's PR.

As a new Scientologist, you're not being told many things (Scientology is secretive), so some of this may seem confusing at first.

It might help to consider that Hubbard was teller of tall tales. He was a prevaricator and a fabricator. That tendency profoundly influenced, not only his personal life, but the subject of Scientology, including its tech.

For example, here's Hubbard explaining that, during World War II, he was repeatedly asked to work on the Manhattan Project (the secret project building the atomic bomb), and each time refused, and each time was sent into a combat theater as punishment:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U1-6I-d4jK0

Total fabrication.

It will take a while if wish to decipher the puzzle of Scientology, but it is decipherable.

Sorting out the good stuff from the bad, the kooky, and the manipulative, takes time.

5. koki

koki Silver Meritorious Patron

hahahha, but beside Yoga, there is a forbidden use of "right-hand yoga" ,also... if you get what I mean.... liars that lie....

:whistling:

6. Free Being Me

Free Being Me Crusader

No, Elcon's tr's are hypnotic induction through repetitive operant conditioning having nothing to do with Buddhism. Elcon's shore story that he gleaned through 50,000 years of mankind's knowledge is just that, a shore story to market himself as a learned and acceptable authority figure to the unwary. Such is the way of many a cult leader claiming to have esoteric knowledge who's main point is doing his/her followers thinking for them hoping assumptive conclusions will cover any contradictions that glaringly crop up.

That's the prime lie Elcon sold, that his con was a summation of actual principles and precepts from Buddhism, psychology, science, to name only a few. If anything, Elcon took labels from disciplines redefining then with a cultist loaded language for a locus of control over his followers. For a man that laughingly claimed he started Buddhism and was the reincarnation of Buddha, his cult is notoriously devoid of any Buddhist core values.

The sum of Elcon's cult is pure manipulation, part of the deception is clinging to some imaginary "good" that keeps one psychologically susceptible to cultist thinking.

7. xianu

xianu Patron

Maybe you can find out more by signing up for the Sea Org. Seriously we are here because crowd wisedom works. You can always salvage something good from LRH tech, and also from the trash dump too. But it would only be sensible to learn from well published authors who don't sue every critic. If you are doing it on your own, you are like reading some random health formula on the internet one day, saw that it make sense because of some of the ingredients you heard good things of, and follow the formula for the rest of your life.

8. phenomanon

phenomanon Canyon

He lied.
    I was ordered by Ethics to cease and desist any Meditation and/or Yoga practices ( such as the Asanas < postures> ).
    I was going "exterior" on the practices, and that supposedly would interfere with the practice of Scientology.
    What has to happen is that you have to recognize that the majority of what Hubbard tells about himself and his travels and his accomplishments are figments of his amazing imagination.

9. betskand

betskand Patron with Honors

Thanks so much for this post. When people only have some slight concept of karma or meditation in mind, trying to make real Buddhist practice clear is not quick and easy...but it is important to remind people that it has a specific experience and view (the 4 Noble Truths) as its core, and all real Buddhism takes off from there.

I would actually be very surprised if Elron did any meditation, other than whatever approximation you can get with drugs. Real meditation takes time and discipline and Elron had almost no discipline. His understanding of even the subjects he knew a tiny bit about (which does NOT include physics of any kind) was superficial. We have the word of his second wife and others to tell us that his reading was extremely spotty, and that he liked to have people summarize and explain things quickly. The material for a lot of what he wrote, according to his own admission, was taken from quick skimmings of items in the Encyclopedia Britannica. With a tiny bit of information he would then allow his imagination, admittedly a HIGHLY developed aspect of his personality, to take off.

And of course his supposed Asian experiences, other than the quick trips with his mother that WERE documented in his teen diary, were bullshit.

To summarize: trying to link Elron or his "philosophy" up with genuine Buddhist practice is a waste of time. Just to start with, Buddhist practice is not proselytizing, nor does it posit itself as the ONLY way. At that early point the Chorch takes permanent leave of any connection with Buddhism. Auditing is much more completely linked with hypnotism than any form of genuine meditation or religious contemplation.

10. F.Bullbait

F.Bullbait Oh, a wise guy,eh?

Doesn't sound like a good idea but you never know...

[​IMG]

11. HelluvaHoax!

HelluvaHoax! Platinum Meritorious Sponsor with bells on

Anyone trying to use logic or common sense to understand Scientology's rules and policies is guaranteed one of two results:

1) Leaving or being brutally attacked and kicked out of Scientology.

2) Being a willing slave within Scientology. ​

Any time you think you "understand" Scientology, it is guaranteed that whatever you think Scientology is telling you will be changed to the opposite of what Scientology is telling you.

EXAMPLE: Other Practices are "illegal" and harmful. As a degraded downstat, you will be routed to Ethics and threatened or kicked out if you don't stop this suppressive practice.

BUT: If you are the Dalai Lama leading millions of followers in an "Other Practice" you will be invited to Flag, given celebrity VIP treatment and celebrated at major events as a super-upstat.

The trick of understanding Scientology is to NOT try to understand it, because Scientologists will (with equal ease) look you square in the eye with a grin and tell you a win--or lie to your face.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2014
  12. HelluvaHoax!

HelluvaHoax! Platinum Meritorious Sponsor with bells on

double post--delete

DOUBLE POST (delete)

13. jea-su

jea-su Patron

Hi there,

1)You did not mention time, form and event when LRH was doing meditation.

2) What is it the definition of meditation?

3) To handle a case you need an Auditor.

If you do not have an Auditor and you are not Clear yet you can do meditation (no one will stop you )

But in Scientology we call it self Auditing. It is different from solo Auditing as in Solo the 1D case is Clear and can handle the 3D case on solo.

The most important datum which no many people seams to mention is that No East Religions nor Any Other Religion or meditation has EVER Got stable Results.

For the records you have the right to do whatever you like with your case. But do not manipulate others to do what you want them to do. I hope this answer your question.

14. Orglodyte

Orglodyte Patron with Honors

Beautifully logical. I remember well trying to use reason, logic, and perfectly clear LRH references, within the culture. It was like trying to light wet wood. There is indeed a hidden data line, the tech you are arguing from is all cover and PR.

But I'm burning with curiosity: are you on staff now? And posting here? What's it like inside right now?

15. Veda

Veda Sponsor

IMO, it's not likely that Hubbard practiced meditation. His preferred "tech" was hypnosis, of others and also self-hypnosis.

In 1954, Hubbard had spoken publicly, respectfully, of Buddhism, and even of Taoism, and also of the Vedas.

He wanted to show that Scientology followed in the long tradition of these subjects, and even briefly spoke positively of Christianity. The 1954 'Creation of Human Ability' book opens with a quote from St. Luke of the Bible.

However, during the 1954 Phoenix Lectures, Hubbard couldn't resist depicting himself as being responsible (by implication) for the arrival of the Vedas on Earth, and at a much earlier date than usually recognized:

"It does happen that there are a set of [Vedic] hymns which as I recall were introduced into the societies of earth in about 8212 BC."

The next year, Hubbard wrote The 'Hymn of Asia', where he depicted himself as the re-incarnated Buddha. Seems as though not only did Hubbard originally bring this knowledge to Earth "in about 8212 BC," he also, as Gautama Buddha, continued to develop it and popularize it. However, such gloating and boasting was not meant for the "homo saps," as Hubbard called them, but for the "homo novis," the Scientologists, who were to regard it as special, whispered, inside information, meant only for the "elite of the elite" of Earth - namely themselves. In other words, while gratefully beholding the wonderfulness of Hubbard, Scientologists were allowed to respectfully participate in Hubbard's ego-bloat.

During 1955, Hubbard not only wrote his (meant for Scientologists' eyes only) "ruin utterly" and "always attack" 'Manual on Dissemination of Material'; he also wrote the fraudulent 'Russian Textbook on Psycho-politics' where he depicted Scientology as a target of the Russian Communists; and, also wrote the 'Hymn of Asia', where he depicted himself as the reincarnated Buddha.

It was quite a productive year.

By 1961, however, in a lecture (23 June 1961), Hubbard denounced Buddhism as a control mechanism devoted to keeping people quiet.

"And of course, how quiet can you get? Dead. And you just might say, it's a covert effort to kill everybody off," Hubbard told the Scientologists.

Yet, there was a back and forth on this, as Hubbard, when emphasizing his "religion angle," would abruptly mellow on ("wog") religions and become appropriately tolerant of them - when it suited his purposes.

Meanwhile, the 'Hymn of Asia' collected dust in a file cabinet or in a box somewhere, until, in the mid 1970s, it was revived and published.

An 'Advance!' magazine cover from 1974:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I can be addressed
    But in our temples best
    Address me and you address
    Lord Buddha.
    Address Lord Buddha
    And you then address
    Metteyya.

[​IMG]

L. Ron Hubbard, from 'Hymn of Asia'

As with his predecessor Crowley, Hubbard had expressed some critical views of Buddhism. The last was during the Dianetic Clear frenzy of the late 1970s/early 1980s, when some Scientologists, certain that they had "gone Clear" as disciples of the Buddha (of course, believing Hubbard to have been Buddha, thus making it OK), were rebuffed by Hubbard when he told them, in no uncertain terms, that one "does not go Clear by garbage eating," i.e. by being Buddhist monks (with begging bowls.)

The poor Scientologists. It's not easy being a Scientologist and being at the mercy of the whims of "Source."

Looking beneath Hubbard's various expressions of the religious cloaking PR, prior to his activation of the "religion angle," one finds Hubbard speaking to nascent Scientologists during the 1952 Philadelphia Doctorate Course:

"Our whole activity tends to make an individual completely independent of any limitation... Old Aleister Crowley had some interesting things to say about this. He wrote 'The Book of the Law'."

[​IMG]
    All editions of 'The Book of the Law' are blood red,
    which is, oddly, also the color of the 'Tech Volumes'.​

From Crowley's 'Magick in Theory and Practice':

"The whole and sole object of all true Magickal training is to become free from every kind of limitation."

More from the 'PDC':

"The old magical cults of the 8th, 9th, 10th, 11th, and 12th centuries in the Middle East were fascinating. The only modern work that has anything to do with them is a trifle wild in spots, but a fascinating work by itself, and that's the work of Aleister Crowley... He signs himself 'the Beast', mark of the Beast 666..."

[​IMG]

Possibly the most honest moment, during the Philadelphia Lectures of late 1952, was at the very beginning of the first lecture, when Hubbard made an odd, non-sequitur, joke about being "the Prince of Darkness."

The audience of "thay-tans," listening attentively as they were promised God-like abilities and powers, chucked unsuspectingly.

It would be over thirty years before Hubbard's 'Affirmations' - written six years before the 1952 PDC lectures - and Hubbard's taste for "slaves," as expressed in those 'Affirmations', along with the truth behind his many bogus biographical accounts, was revealed in a Southern California courtroom.

A small sampling:

L. Ron Hubbard saved the Australians from the Japanese! ​

From a Hubbard 'Executive Letter' of 6 October 1965:

In 1942, as a senior US Naval officer in Northern Australia by fluke of fate, I helped save them from the Japanese.

And from Hubbard's 17 February 1969 'Information Letter':

Remember I know Anzo. I once had a big share in saving its bacon from Japan. Note please that a small Jap force could have taken the lot and didn't. A handful of us, months before the coming of US troops, worked like mad to balk the Japs and change their minds.

[​IMG]

From the court transcript of Armstrong vs Church of Scientology

The Church of Scientology called one Captain Moulton as a witness.

Q. [by Michael Flynn, Armstrong's attorney]. He told you he was injured by a Japanese machine gun?

A. [by Captain Moulton] Yes, in some detail...

Q. What did he tell you?

A. That he had been in [Java] at the time the Japanese came in...

Q. So you believed Captain Hubbard at the time?

A. Certainly, I had no reason not to.

Q. Did he tell you exactly where he had been hit by machine gun fire?

A. In the back, in the area of the kidneys...

From witness, Kima Douglass (Hubbard's medical officer, 1976 - 1980):

Q. Did he [Hubbard] have any bullet wounds in his back?

A. No sir.

__________​

In the 1950s, Hubbard told Scientologists:

By 1948, through my own processing, and the use of principles I had isolated up to that time, was able to pass 100% combat physical...

From Hubbard's 1946 self-hypnosis writings, as read into the court record by Gerry Armstrong at Armstrong vs Church of Scientology:

You stomach trouble you used as an excuse to keep the Navy from punishing you. You are free of the Navy. You have no further reason for a weak stomach...

Your ulcers are well and never bother you. You can eat anything. Your hip is a pose. You have a sound hip and it never hurts.

Your foot was an alibi. The injury is no longer needed. It is well. You have perfect and lovely feet...

When you tell people you are ill, it has no effect on your health. And in Veterans Administration examinations you will tell them how sick you are. You'll look sick when you take it. You'll return to health one hour after the examination and laugh at them.

No matter what lies you tell others, they have no physical effect on you. You never injure your health by saying it is bad. You cannot lie to yourself...

Mr. Flynn: I'd be happy to have the whole document [all the 'Affirmations'] go into evidence

Mr. Litt [Scientology attorney]: No. No. No.

__________​

More from L. Ron Hubbard's 'Affirmations':

Your writing has a deep hypnotic effect on people and they are always pleased with what you write.

Your psychology is true and wonderful. It hypnotizes people. It predicts their emotions, for you are their ruler.

16. Woggin' out

Woggin' out Patron with Honors

One is not allowed to do Yoga or meditation. I had a Knowledge report written on me for going to Yoga at a gym!! I of course was sent to Ethics and had to stop the "squirrel practice" or risk not getting on the Oatee levels. The higher you go up the Bridge to Total failure (oops, Freedom), the more controls are put in on you! I am now happy to say that I became a Yoga teacher a few years ago and partake in Meditation quite a bit. I could have saved myself a fortune if only I would've taken up Yoga first! I certainly got a lot more out of it than making it up to OTV!! :duh:
    My dear friend, run!!!!!!!

17. clamicide

clamicide Gold Meritorious Patron

It's completely whacked out. I remember actually getting an hour for dinner and turning on the TV and Kelly Preston was talking about her yoga class and I was WTF????!!!! If I did that, I knew I'd be in ethics forever for mixing practices.

That being said, I'm kind of bummed that yoga and meditation are things that I can't do currently. They trigger me back into TRs and that type of BS that I end up dissociating beyond belief. I had to walk out when a yoga teacher took over my Pilates class in school.... just could NOT do it.

I'm sure a lot of that is good, but my brain is still wired weirdly from the cult that that sort of thing just goes...uh... beyond bad. Being invited to work with a certain acting teacher was awesome, because the physical warm-ups mixed with mental relaxation along with then going into character study was the FIRST thing of this ilk that didn't trigger the fuck out of me. My son (also in the cult), is able to do yoga and find relaxation in it... I just can't. Tai Chi and Qi Gong seem to be something I'm able to work into....

18. betskand

betskand Patron with Honors

Oh, PLEASE take it easy with yourself. You've been through a terrible trauma, and anything that feels threatening is probably not a good idea right now. The main thing is to get yourself back.

Just living in the moment...bringing yourself back to the present by listening to sounds or making contact with some other physical thing...might be enough to help past rocky moments. But they will undoubtedly keep occurring for a long time. Good luck...

19. clamicide

clamicide Gold Meritorious Patron

bwahahahahaha!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Has ANYONE here ever met a STABLE Scientologist.... Fuck... I couldn't resist...

And the bar against self-auditing is basically saying YOU have no idea about yourself... you can't have ANY realizations on your own and ALL COGS AND WINS MUST COME FROM HUBBARD~~~

OH, and if ya want to look at stable results... go reference the 'stats' on OT VIIIs; hell, one of the reasons that I started to go WTF was how many OTs were incredible assholes whose lives were in utter 'ruin'....

Trolldom, boredom... no idea, but seriously :wtf:

signed by "A Clear"

20. Innominate Dude

Innominate Dude No Longer Around

It depends on what you mean by "issue".

As I see it the real issue you are running into is the Scientology idea of what ultimate truth is. As in Bolshevism, where truth is "what advances the revolution" as that is premised on an all encompassing "science" shown by dialectical processes, in Scientology it turns out that in any and every circumstance the "truth" consist of whatever lures a person into Scientology, retains them within the Scientology camp, and helps the Scientology agenda prosper. This is because of a general premise that Hubbard grasped the underlying nature of all reality just as thoroughly as Bolshevists adhere to the religious faith that dialectical materialism is an underlying science encompassing all possible experience. Therefore whatever other character traits a person may have, to remain in Scientology for a long time they must eventually become agreeable to the Scientological world view of "ultimate truth" and realize that apparent contradictions or lies consist merely of erroneous ideas that don't reconcile with ultimate truth but instead seek some other and improper guidance for sorting out the true and false. This belief structure grants immense permission to lie as one pleases.

Examples abound in the experience of people coming before you of this principle of deceit in the service of ultimate truth.
    - You were told that you could safely ignore something that bothered you, but you were told that deceitfully. It was proper to lie to you because it would help retain you in Scientology until your nonconformist beliefs can be eradicated, therefore it serves the ultimate truth in Scientology, not to be found anywhere else. Thus by lying to you you were steered towards an ultimate truth which makes the lies not really lies at all and acceptable. You will encounter this endlessly in the Scientology world. The point today is "meditation", but that is mere happenstance that your initial nonconformist belief to be eradicated, and you to be lied to until that can happen, is that particular point.
    - You were told that the creed is something of fundamental importance, rather than nice sounding window dressing, but you were told that deceitfully. The creed exists to lure you in by making Scientology resemble noble and valuable endeavors that humans have pursued elsewhere. If affirming a point in the creed helps lure you in, keep you in, and advance the agenda, it is true to that extent. If at any point the creed serves as a barrier to luring people in, keeping them in and advancing the Scientology agenda, that point of the creed is fully dispensible or will be reconciled by complex and feeble rationalizations. It is proper to deceive you about the creed being perhaps some genuinely fundamental guide to a belief structure because it would help retain you in Scientology until what you believe that is nonconformist can be eradicated, therefore it serves the ultimate truth in Scientology, not to be found anywhere else, thus by lying to you you were steered towards an ultimate truth which makes the lies not really lies at all and acceptable. You will encounter this endlessly in the Scientology world.
    - Furthermore, information was withheld from you, by people who should and probably do know the information and its extreme relevance: that you will eventually be savagely attacked for continuing to be nonconformist and openly discussing your nonconformity. Eventually you will wind up in a conflict with Scientology officials and loyalists who will define you as someone any tactic may be used against, "sued, lied to, injured, destroyed" because you are an SP as proven by rejection of ultimate truth in favor of lesser issues. There are no lies in what serves the purpose of ultimate truth, only "handling" people with misconceptions, in the world of the orthodox Church of Scientology. Under this principle you will find people endlessly lying to you in the Scientology world.

This habit, by the way, of finding it acceptable to state plainly contradictory things because they ultimately align with a "higher truth" is not thing unique to Scientology, so called "cults", or any other social group. All humans living and breathing possess a value structure and belief structure which guides them in sorting out contending claims and accepting apparent contradictions on subsidiary points because that preserves some "higher truth" to accept the contradictions as involving misconceptions about reality. It is the extent and ethicalness of how one goes about doing this that matters. The world revolving about the orthodox Church of Scientology ultimately proceeds as if whatever Hubbard said is always true, in all circumstances, as its ultimate truth. Apparent lies or contradictions that involve a lesser truth are really about mere misconceptions, so they shouldn't bother anyone in handling them in any way that serves a higher truth. That's the value structure and belief structure you are encountering. That structure makes it inherently pugnacious and insular, incapable of meaningful reform that would make it an acceptable part of society, and ultimately a worthless endeavor or group to belong to. Because the higher truth that a profoundly narcissistic blowhard managed to always be true about the underlying nature of reality in all forms, and he was named Hubbard, is a worthless ultimate truth.

It bothered me immensely, the outcome was that I ditched Scientology after being raised in it, and it was resolved by declaring that anything may be done to me because I am an enemy. That's the dreary tale of an immense number of people raised in or joining Scientology. time after time.

I don't know if Hubbard did or didn't meditate. He didn't discuss it or even mention it much if he did, but he did consistently over the years discuss and hold forth at length on another "Asian practice", which you might assume has a lot to do with his belief structure.

By Asian practices Hubbard could have simply meant a belief that the meddling of unseen spirits govern human existence, as is extensively believed in Asia. Take native Taosim or Daoist religious thought as followed by the ordinary Chinese follower, not as a high minded philosophical pursuit alone as Westerners think Taoism is. Spirit-meddling based belief systems permeate Asia and constantly pop up in Hubbard's writings and lectures. His thinking is immensely concerned with man interacting with the spirit world.

Hubbard's novel "Fear" shows his underlying belief system. It is about a man's total experience revolving around at times undetected acts of spirits assaulting that man and that man's ability to combat those spirits and experience life without their interference as the resolution to his problems. That is Hubbard's world view stripped to its basics. Life consists of victory or defeat in handling the "demons", the spirit world's "players and broken players, pawns and broken pawns". And anyone who doesn't realize his ultimate truth of perpetual spiritual battle as the underlying basis of reality is simply mistaken and misguided, so why not lie to them about it all to keep them on the right team? This is what you are truly up against, but people are trying to conceal it from you at this time. To deceive you is to keep you in service of the ultimate truth, and how can that not be completely justified?