What's new

Meditation, Yoga and other practices

lotus

stubborn rebel sheep!
I think a heck of a lot of Buddhist leaders in traditional Buddhist homelands, Japan, Burma, etc., to think of a few off the top of my head, have frequently advised acolytes with the traditional admonition "If you meet Buddha on the road, kill him." It's hardly obscure. It's a historical teaching point that predates any Amero-Britannic involvement with Buddhism.

Of course you seem to be more Tibetian oriented, it would seem. Perhaps they prefer the admonition to regard Buddha as if dried dung?

:yes::yes::yes::yes::yes::yes::yes:

Being a buddhism practitionner (meditation) , over the years I've ask for explanations from few teachers and it also leaded to long discussions in the shanga with others practitionners.

It's only a figurative way to say : There is not definition or representation of a buddha that holds
The nature of Buddha is whithin us - nothing to search for
so when someone says : to be a buddha is or this is a buddha
Kill this illusion or misconception.

It's almost like saying : If you meet the freedom and the knowledge - Kill them!

(almost what we do , when out of the $cientology paedlar path of illusion)

* LRH didn't apparently study the true nature of a buddha while apparently being immersed in buddhism - he thaught he could fool the buddhist monks with telling them HE was the Buddha! :biggrin:
They must have been laughing IF they read Hymns of Asia.

Only MHO!

Last edited:

Veda

Sponsor
CofS members aren't suppised to talk to exes, skeptics, etc, on the net. But if one keeps identity secret, they can do what they like.

Speakin' from experience and all....:biggrin:

Tom_Booth has repeatedly invited people to call him at the Harlem Org:

"Give me a call. I'd love it. Ask for Tom Booth: (212) 828-1825 (Harlem Church of Scientology)"

Give him a call, Claire, and let us know what happens.

Claire Swazey

Spokeshole, fence sitter
Tom_Booth has repeatedly invited people to call him at the Harlem Org:

"Give me a call. I'd love it. Ask for Tom Booth: (212) 828-1825 (Harlem Church of Scientology)"

Give him a call, Claire, and let us know what happens.

Do they have caller id? I know they're lame and mid 20th centuryish but ya never know. Should I go find a pay phone?

While I'm at it, should I ask 'em if they have Prince Albert in a can?

Veda

Sponsor
Do they have caller id? I know they're lame and mid 20th centuryish but ya never know. Should I go find a pay phone?

You can have the phone company block caller ID. Check your phone bill. It may already be blocked.

But don't worry. You're breaking no laws.

Just call, ask for Tom Booth the maintenance man.

Then, you may wish to mention that you're responding to his many requests that others call him at the Harlem Org.

You might also add that you read this request of Tom's on the Ex Scientologist Message Board. Tom assures us that everyone at the Org knows he posts here and it's not a problem.

Then, let us know what happened. :)

And, Tom, please let us know how the below meeting went:

-snip-

Someone did call me from the org a few minutes ago. Not someone who usually calls me. Was wondering when I was coming in, said we had some things to talk about.

I guess I'll have some explaining to do
if you guys have been calling there asking stupid questions.

If they give you a hard time, Tom, just tell them about the 'Creed of the Church of Scientology."

Intentionally Blank

Scientology Widow

*67 before you dial. Do a test to someone you know first.

I always liked "Is your refrigerator running?" ;)

Blanky

Claire Swazey

Spokeshole, fence sitter
You can have the phone company block caller ID. Check your phone bill. It may already be blocked.

But don't worry. You're breaking no laws.

Just call, ask for Tom Booth the maintenance man.

Then, you may wish to mention that you're responding to his many requests that others call him at the Harlem Org.

You might also add that you read this request of Tom's on the Ex Scientologist Message Board. Tom assures us that everyone at the Org knows he posts here and it's not a problem.

Then, let us know what happened. :)

And, Tom, please let us know how the below meeting went:

If they give you a hard time, Tom, just tell them about the 'Creed of the Church of Scientology."

Like I'd be so stupid as to think calling and asking for someone is illegal. And like I'd even worry about rule bending, even if twere so. Jesus.

(Obviously, one would as lief not be fucked with by the cult.)

Used to be, one had to pay for the *67 thingie. It's free now?

Veda

Sponsor
Like I'd be so stupid as to think calling and asking for someone is illegal. And like I'd even worry about rule bending, even if twere so. Jesus.

-snip-

Great!, then give them a call and congratulate them on the new era of reform and freedom!

VITAL ANNOUNCEMENT BY COB DM
220px-David_Miscavige_-_Portrait.jpg

"It has come to my attention that some Scientologists
have not been abiding by the Creed of the Church of Scientology.
I was shocked to discover this. LRH loved the Creed and lived by it,
as do I, and it is expected that all Scientologists do also."

Demented LRH

Patron Meritorious
After I left SO, I was going through Purification program in Big Blue. Before going to sauna I used to do some yoga exercises in the waiting room. One day I was told that the Church doesn’t allow its members to practice any other religion. I said that I am doing exercises to improve my health, not to pray to Hinduism gods. The issue was resolved. Hubbard may have studied Buddhism, but he totally misunderstood it. For example, Buddhists do not believe in the souls, spirits, thetans., etc., because these fictional entities cannot be detected. The Buddhist doctrine that denies the existence of these entities is called No-atman Doctrine (The word “atman” means “soul” in Sanskrit). As for Hubbard’s shitty poem, where he proclaims that he is Buddha, not a single Buddhist denomination accepts it as a statement from Buddha.

Claire Swazey

Spokeshole, fence sitter
Great!, then give them a call and congratulate them on the new era of reform and freedom!

VITAL ANNOUNCEMENT BY COB DM
220px-David_Miscavige_-_Portrait.jpg

"It has come to my attention that some Scientologists
have not been abiding by the Creed of the Church of Scientology.
I was shocked to discover this. LRH loved the Creed and lived by it,
as do I, and it is expected that all Scientologists do also."

I guess I would if I felt like doing it and if I felt like taking orders or suggestions from you.

Claire Swazey

Spokeshole, fence sitter
After I left SO, I was going through Purification program in Big Blue. Before going to sauna I used to do some yoga exercises in the waiting room. One day I was told that the Church doesn’t allow its members to practice any other religion. I said that I am doing exercises to improve my health, not to pray to Hinduism gods. The issue was resolved. Hubbard may have studied Buddhism, but he totally misunderstood it. For example, Buddhists do not believe in the souls, spirits, thetans., etc., because these fictional entities cannot be detected. The Buddhist doctrine that denies the existence of these entities is called No-atman Doctrine (The word “atman” means “soul” in Sanskrit). As for Hubbard’s shitty poem, where he proclaims that he is Buddha, not a single Buddhist denomination accepts it as a statement from Buddha.

Yah. And the thing about other practices is left to staff to interpret. In a given situation, one staffer may be like, yeah, whatever, doesn't seem like an "other practice" to me, whereas another one will say "Hold up! Squirreling a'comin'!"

For a guy who tried to set forth every little thing, revising, rerevising PL and ED and HCOB after PL and ED and HCOB again and again, he sure left a lot of stuff to be interpreted.

Another way it's a cluster fuck is that Hubbard and the present day cult claimed and claims that they are ok with a person practicing their original religion. But thing is- religions often contain practices. Stations of the Cross? It's a practice. Prayer? It's a practice. Yoga and meditation, we've mentioned. Some religions contain partial or full fasting. Try doing that when you have course the next day and if you have auditing or word clearing scheduled, fahgeddabouddit!

Hubbard did complain about yoga meaning yoke and that it meant the person was to be yoked to his body. That's a pretty silly thing for him to have said, indeed.