What's new

Melbourne Org sold to Chanel

Emma

Con te partirò
Administrator
http://www.theage.com.au/business/p...former-scientology-centre-20110819-1j2dn.html

FRENCH fashion house Chanel is speculated to be paying about $9 million for a Paris-end CBD property owned and occupied for 30 years by the Church of Scientology.
Chanel, which currently leases a shop at 209 Collins Street at the City Square complex nearby, is expected to relocate to the historic four-level, 1377-square-metre building at 42 Russell Street on the north-east corner of Flinders Lane and abutting the recently refurbished Grand Hyatt Hotel.

The church paid $720,000 for the building in 1980, but sold it for $7.4 million last May to a consortium including local property developer David Marriner, who coincidentally redeveloped the City Square mixed-use complex where Chanel is a tenant.

The church twice famously abandoned plans to sell 42 Russell Street, leaving prospective bidders waiting at scheduled auctions in 2005, and then in 2008 - when the asset was expected to sell for about $8 million. It was at about this time that the church paid $7 million for the former Sisters of Mercy College in Ascot Vale, which it renovated and relocated to eight months ago.

Last December, Mr Marriner proposed to demolish the church's former Russell Street building and replace it with a 25-level hotel with 100 guest suites above lower-level retail. A redevelopment application has been lodged with the City of Melbourne council and is being assessed.

A representative from Chanel Australia was unavailable to comment.
Any deal would be another show of confidence for Melbourne's retail sector. In recent months, Spanish brand Zara and British giants Topshop and Topman have committed to retail premises here.

http://www.theage.com.au/business/p...former-scientology-centre-20110819-1j2dn.html

FRENCH fashion house Chanel is speculated to be paying about $9 million for a Paris-end CBD property owned and occupied for 30 years by the Church of Scientology.
Chanel, which currently leases a shop at 209 Collins Street at the City Square complex nearby, is expected to relocate to the historic four-level, 1377-square-metre building at 42 Russell Street on the north-east corner of Flinders Lane and abutting the recently refurbished Grand Hyatt Hotel.

The church paid $720,000 for the building in 1980, but sold it for $7.4 million last May to a consortium including local property developer David Marriner, who coincidentally redeveloped the City Square mixed-use complex where Chanel is a tenant.

The church twice famously abandoned plans to sell 42 Russell Street, leaving prospective bidders waiting at scheduled auctions in 2005, and then in 2008 - when the asset was expected to sell for about $8 million. It was at about this time that the church paid $7 million for the former Sisters of Mercy College in Ascot Vale, which it renovated and relocated to eight months ago.

Last December, Mr Marriner proposed to demolish the church's former Russell Street building and replace it with a 25-level hotel with 100 guest suites above lower-level retail. A redevelopment application has been lodged with the City of Melbourne council and is being assessed.

A representative from Chanel Australia was unavailable to comment.
Any deal would be another show of confidence for Melbourne's retail sector. In recent months, Spanish brand Zara and British giants Topshop and Topman have committed to retail premises here.

Well that stinks!

(the profit, I mean)

The Anabaptist Jacques

Feral

Rogue male
Does this mean I can finally relax about that Promissory Note I signed for WDC?

There was no upside in it for you though, was there?

The way this seems to me is that INT wracked the field to buy the Idle org under the promise that Russel st. would remain a test center. Then sold it to pocketed the proceeds, a masssive profit from Mebourne.

We'll now see the cult buy a test center and get it up and running for a mill or two if I got this scam right.

This Ideal Morgue program is the CofS's "Heyday"

Div6

Crusader

The way this seems to me is that INT wracked the field to buy the Idle org under the promise that Russel st. would remain a test center. Then sold it to pocketed the proceeds, a masssive profit from Mebourne.

We'll now see the cult buy a test center and get it up and running for a mill or two if I got this scam right.

Or......

Mebbe they are pulling assets out of Oz in front of the Charity Commission.....reducing the attack surface\exposure, as it were.

Panda Termint

Cabal Of One

Maybe I'm due a Commission on the profit?

Forget about the Cult paying for a new Test Center, some hapless Public will be saddled with the cost of doing that.

Scientology: Scams_R_Us.

J. Swift

Patron with Honors
The Cult may need the cash in Australia. It's not like ANZO is booming. Indeed, it is well known that Emma of ESMB, an SP, hails from down under. The Cult may finally be surrendering Australia to Emma. It sure looks like they are cashing in their chips on this deal.

Panda Termint

Cabal Of One
Nah, selling Russel Street has been part of the Ideal Org strategy from Day One, Swiftie. The only people who didn't know that were the contributors to the Ideal Org.

Emma

Con te partirò
Administrator
The Cult may need the cash in Australia. It's not like ANZO is booming. Indeed, it is well known that Emma of ESMB, an SP, hails from down under. The Cult may finally be surrendering Australia to Emma. It sure looks like they are cashing in their chips on this deal.

Ummm..."All your country are belong to me!" ??? :confused2:

Swifty, Melbourne Day was the Org I was on staff on. I left just before all the regging began for the new Org THANK GOD.

scooter

Gold Meritorious Patron
Maybe now that DM has sold Russel St., the marks will expect some of that cash from the sale to come back to them.:omg:

I know that was the "rumour" in 2007/8 - that once the "new" org was up and running and Russel St. sold, those who'd contributed would get their money back - dunno where it came from but I had several melbourne scilons say that to me.:yes:

Signs for next melbanon raid maybe?:coolwink:

oneonewasaracecar

Gold Meritorious Patron
They raise funds for a new ideal org and promise money back when the old building is sold. So they build an ideal org with money from the public Scientologists. Then they transfer the title of the new ideal org to a Scientology international entity. They then sell the old valuable property for enormous profits.

They are then supposed to give money back to the people who donated.

Is that right.

scooter

Gold Meritorious Patron
They raise funds for a new ideal org and promise money back when the old building is sold. So they build an ideal org with money from the public Scientologists. Then they transfer the title of the new ideal org to a Scientology international entity. They then sell the old valuable property for enormous profits.

They are then supposed to give money back to the people who donated.

Is that right.
:yes:

P.T. Barnum said it best - "There's (a sucker) born very minute."

This scam of DM's is totally based on that.

I'm just glad He is running out of "marks" for His scams.

Petey C

Silver Meritorious Patron
:yes:

P.T. Barnum said it best - "There's (a sucker) born very minute."

This scam of DM's is totally based on that.

I'm just glad He is running out of "marks" for His scams.

And Einstein said "There are only two things that are infinite. One is the Universe. The other is the stupidity of people. And I'm not even sure about the Universe."
:coolwink:

secretiveoldfag

My understanding is that money from sale of real estate or money collected for renovations etc goes up to some high-up point whose name I forget, but it could be the International Center for Scamming Scientologists (ICSS), and can then be used quite legally for anything DM wants but is never used for local expenses.

But I have lost the reference (somewhere in Kristi Wachter's site).

Last edited:

Opter

What about giving some money back to the Scientology school who "donated" one million(?) dollars for the Ideal org?:confused2:

Opter

Feral

Rogue male

That would be nice if it were so Swifty. Sadly though it would seem that for all the trouble Scientology in Australia is in it is still breaking all records for cash received despite delivery being at an all time low.

The ideal org scam has been their pot of gold, the only consolation is that it will ultimately show even their most heavily indocced public the depth of DM''s scam. When that day comes, and it will be soon the whole mess will come tumbling down into a sea of discovery.

Last edited: