What's new

Memphis Org - update on Central property

The CoS used to have its Org on Central Ave... when it was opened, a whole slew of local Memphis Scilons made an appearance, namely Isaac Hayes and Lisa Marie Presley (or was it Priscilla?)

Anyway, the CoS moved out east to Collierville. However the building on Central was still in the same hands.

Well, the property has now been put up for sale.

http://elite9.tennessee.remax.com/PropertySearch/ListingDetail.aspx?lid=79907986

You can check out he interior and look at the floor plan. Current asking price, a little under $1.5 million. Funnily enough, on the Google Map on the page, the lot is clearly labelled "Church of Scientology."

Checking on the local assessor's website to see who owns it and it is still in the name of the Slaughters... I think one, or both, were involved somehow in the Lisa McPherson tragedy when they were in Clearwater. In fact, the address they have on record is in Clearwater.

In Care Of:
Owner Address: 830 ISLAND WAY
Owner City/State/Zip: CLEARWATER BEACH, FL 33767

I don't know where Island Way is - could be an official CoS drop or their residence.

If one checks the 2009 values, they are as follows.

Class: RESIDENTIAL
Land Appraisal: $ 336,600
Building Appraisal: $ 937,600
Total Appraisal: $ 1,274,200

Total Assessment: $ 318,550

But if one checks 2008 (you can click on the page), the values are

Class: EXEMPT
Land Appraisal: $ 0
Building Appraisal: $ 440,500
Total Appraisal: $ 440,500

Total Assessment: $ 0

IANAL, but I think that the some figures are $0 correspond to the building, at that time, being used as a Church.

I have some questions though... I need to investigate further

1. When did the CoS/Slaughters buy the building, and for how much.
  2. How was the building bought... donations, gifts, etc.
  3. When did they sell or transfer the building to the Slaughters (as the building was reassigned between 2008 and 2009, it is safe to say that the transfer happened some time then).
  4. Since the Slaughters have had it, have they pumped a lot of cash into it? Or is it more a case of the CoS sliding the property across to the Slaughters. They then hold on to it, and "renovate," i.e. change not much at all. Then the building is sold by the Slaughters, who funnel the cash back to the CoS and presumably keep a small service fee for themselves.

If 4 is the case (for sure not), then the entire process looks like an elaborate ruse to launder cash. Things are probably completely legitimate. But still I wonder who has profited from this building, if anyone. I'm also quite surprised that they still have the building.

FoTi

Crusader
If you google Mapquest, and put in 830 Island Way, Clearwater Beach, Fl 33767, there is a 360 degree view of that area and you can see what the street and the houses look like there. The view is taken from a car driving on Island Way.

http://www.mapquest.com/

Wisened One

Crusader
The CoS used to have its Org on Central Ave... when it was opened, a whole slew of local Memphis Scilons made an appearance, namely Isaac Hayes and Lisa Marie Presley (or was it Priscilla?)

Both Lisa and her mother were there..along with Jenna Elfman, Juliette Lewis (and Isaac, as you said).

JT, TC (and I think KA) were also scheduled, but didn't show.

Oh, DM and Tommy Davis were there too! :yes:

JT, TC (and I think KA) were also scheduled, but didn't show.

When Isaac Hayes passed away, I went to his Memorial Service. TC and JT were supposed to show there also. Instead, we got a terribly wooden speech from Anne Archer, who I consider to be a top PR person for the CoS.

Re: Isaac Hayes, it was satisfying to learn than the CoS received $0 in his will.