What's new

Mike Rinder: Scientology Plays The Religious Persecution Card

CommunicatorIC

@IndieScieNews on Twitter

http://www.mikerindersblog.org/scientology-plays-the-religious-persecution-card/

Read the entire post.

* * * * * BEGIN EXCERPT * * * * *

In the face of the enormous interest and critical acclaim for Alex Gibney’s Going Clear documentary, Scientology is in panic mode. So, they do what they have always done in times of disaster: fall back on trying to gain sympathy by claiming to be the object of bigotry and religious persecution.

In typical arrogant Miscavige style, he refused to cooperate in making the film, not agreeing to an interview and making sure nobody else under his spell did either. It was a strategy he has used plenty of times in the past. And once the reporting is done, the whining begins: “they only looked at one side of the story,” “they ignored all our information.” It’s the “victim of the media” card. But that tactic seems to be losing traction. People have caught on to the game and realize scientology tries to manipulate the media far more than it manipulates them. Not many fall into that category, but scientology has managed to scratch and claw its way into such an unenviable position.

Neither do people find the scientology “dead agent” smears convincing. In fact, they are more often than not seen today as proof that the central contentions of the “critics” and media (and this new movie will be the ultimate in this regard) are born out by the the church responses.

So, what do they do next? What they ALWAYS do when things spiraled into true catastrophe mode.

Pull out the “religious persecution card.”

So, it’s no surprise to see a new edition of Freedom magazine exclusively devoted to “Religion: Why You Should Care.”

Screenshot-154.png

* * * * END EXCERPT * * * * *

anonomog

Gold Meritorious Patron
If it wasn't Scientology I would be shocked by the bare faced cheek of it.

Freedom Mag digs deep to find the good works of all religions and implies scientology has something to do with them, while not giving any detail on how scientology is contributing to the good works.

Here are the main points listed - To align scientology with the truth, the following needs to be added to the copy:

In a world with Scientology as a major religion-

Very Young Children Would Be a Lot Less Secure and Cared For:
We Would Be Less Likely to Take Adequate Care of Ourselves:
We Would Experience a serious Economic Impact:
Indeed, We Would Probably Be a Lot Less Well:
We Would Encounter Diminished Hospital Access:
We Would Exercise Considerably Less Compassion:
We Would Lack the Comfort Tools to Soothe Those in Spiritual Need:
We Would Be a Lot Lonelier and More Melancholy:
We Would Feel a Lot Worse About Ourselves Personally—and More Anxious, Too:
We Would Find Millions of People Going Hungry:
Community Volunteering Would be Cut in Half:
We Would Have No clergy to Conduct Services or to Consult on Personal Matters or Issues of Faith:

Leland

Crusader
Its kinda funny. AOLA's "Advance" magazine liked to look at other "older" religions also.

Many issues were devoted to some long lost cult or religion.

At the end of every article....there was some little ending that always said the same thing.....(paraphrased)

"Where they failed.....we have succeeded....you CAN come to AOLA and ....bla bla bla....."

Churchill

Gold Meritorious Patron

http://www.mikerindersblog.org/scientology-plays-the-religious-persecution-card/

Read the entire post.

* * * * * BEGIN EXCERPT * * * * *

In the face of the enormous interest and critical acclaim for Alex Gibney’s Going Clear documentary, Scientology is in panic mode. So, they do what they have always done in times of disaster: fall back on trying to gain sympathy by claiming to be the object of bigotry and religious persecution.

In typical arrogant Miscavige style, he refused to cooperate in making the film, not agreeing to an interview and making sure nobody else under his spell did either. It was a strategy he has used plenty of times in the past. And once the reporting is done, the whining begins: “they only looked at one side of the story,” “they ignored all our information.” It’s the “victim of the media” card. But that tactic seems to be losing traction. People have caught on to the game and realize scientology tries to manipulate the media far more than it manipulates them. Not many fall into that category, but scientology has managed to scratch and claw its way into such an unenviable position.

Neither do people find the scientology “dead agent” smears convincing. In fact, they are more often than not seen today as proof that the central contentions of the “critics” and media (and this new movie will be the ultimate in this regard) are born out by the the church responses.

So, what do they do next? What they ALWAYS do when things spiraled into true catastrophe mode.

Pull out the “religious persecution card.”

So, it’s no surprise to see a new edition of Freedom magazine exclusively devoted to “Religion: Why You Should Care.”

Screenshot-154.png

* * * * END EXCERPT * * * * *

The bitter irony is that Scientology is joined at the hip with the rabidly intolerant, anti-American, Jew-bashing Nation of Islam.
Scientology seeks tolerance, but offers none.
It has spied on and infiltrated Christian and Jewish organizations, both communal and religious in nature. It has partnered with some of the most vile anti-Semites; including the infamous Liberty Lobby, headed by Willis Carto, a notorious bigot and proven Holocaust Denier.
This hypocritical and self-serving attitude has earned Scientology the contempt and well deserved repudiation from a variety of Interfaith organizations who recognize it for what it is, and not what it pretends to be.

Peter Soderqvist

Patron with Honors
How can they believe that Flag, and Sea Org are OT organization, or grade 2 release; " Relief from the hostilities and sufferings of life" when they are suffering from Religious Persecution?
No doubts?

HelluvaHoax!

Platinum Meritorious Sponsor with bells on

Great essay by Mike Rinder.

It captures Scientologists practicing Scientology.

And it showcases the extreme paranoid schizophrenia that defines the personality of Scientology as a cult:

* Boasting with megalomaniacal certainty about how it effortlessly mows down all feeble human counter intention, because it is supernaturally powered and TOTAL CAUSE OVER LIFE.

* And, alternately, whining, complaining and moaning how it is a VICTIM of cruel SP religious haters & bigots.​

It's hard to be a Scientologist because you have to know exactly when you're supposed to be an infallible, miracle-wielding super-hero and when you're supposed to be caved by SPs so that you can appeal to people's sympathy.

Veda

Sponsor
heldt.gif

Sleazy Scientology "minister" circa 1970s.

It's elementary tactics.

The Scientology Dictionary defines "Victim" as "1. a destroyed or threatened with destruction receipt point. 2. a victim is an unwilling and unknowing effect of life, matter, energy, space and time."

Also, in Scientology, the word "victim" is sometimes associated with the "dramatizing of a service facsimile," where someone becomes a "victim" to get sympathy and to gain other perceived advantages.

"Victims" in Scientology are frowned upon if they are being victims of Scientology.

BUT THERE'S A TWIST, a SWITCH, a FAST ONE, A TURN AROUND, a GIMMICK, A PLOY, A TRICK - after all this IS Scientology.

Per Hubbard's instructions one is to USE ENEMY TACTICS, and "aberrative" behaviors, on enemies, and on those under the influence of those enemies.

Scientologists, when interacting with "Wogs" (humanoids who, of course, are aberrated) and "SPs" and "DBs," if it is regarded as forwarding Scientology, will USE ENEMY TACTICS.

One of the traits of lower (non Scientology) beings is that they "become victims," and use "being a victim" to their advantage.

So, following L. Ron Hubbard's instructions in his "Scientology Philosophy," when dealing with the ENEMY or with the "wogs" who are "PTS" to the enemy, one plays at being a VICTIM.

Scientologists are continually being victimized by the SPs, ANTI-SCIENTOLOGISTS, BIGOTS, the HATERS, the BASHERS, the NATTERERS, the ANTI-RELIGIOUS HATERS AND BIGOTS who attack their "Scientology religion."

The religious persecution card is a natural extension of the religion card.

The bottom line for Miscavige is that people, when referring to Scientology, call it, certainly not "the cult," and not even "Scientology" but, rather, call it "the Church."

While it may be necessary to use the words "Church of Scientology," initially, when communicating to a wide audience - since that's what the signs on the buildings say - it's not necessary to repeatedly use the words "the Church" when referring to Scientology.

Miscavige wants people to say the words "the Church" rather than to simply say "Scientology."

From there, the leap to playing the religious persecution card is a short one.

WildKat

Gold Meritorious Patron
Veda, is that picture of Henning Heldt? I think I remember him, after some fall from grace in the SO, going to work in the lowly wog world, affiliated somehow with Singer Consultants. If that's the same guy.

Veda

Sponsor
Veda, is that picture of Henning Heldt? I think I remember him, after some fall from grace in the SO, going to work in the lowly wog world, affiliated somehow with Singer Consultants. If that's the same guy.

Yes it is. Last I heard, he was on OT 8.

Peoplescientology01low.jpg

Cat's Squirrel

Gold Meritorious Patron
Good article. As I've said before here, few people in the "wog world" would give a damn about the CofS and what they believed if they didn't routinely abuse people and rip them off.

BTW, I'm using Firefox (for Linux) and Mike Rinder's page doesn't load well in that. I had to save it and then open it in LibreOffice.

Last edited:

Churchill

Gold Meritorious Patron
As I've said before here, few people would give a damn about the CofS and what they believed if they didn't routinely abuse people and rip them off.

Excellent point.

The problem is that the abuse is not an outlier of non-sanctioned behavior.

The actions and methods of Fair Gaming, Disconnection, Dead Agenting ; the harassment, intimidation, and unconscionable ultra high pressure tactics; the way in which criticism is stifled and put down are mandated and operate at the level of "Scripture" within the organization.

The utterly insane reaction to Alex Gibney's film, first by the unintelligible, expletive laden Hollywood moron, Danny Masterson, followed by the "church's" criticism of Alex Gibney's father, is so non-sequitur and wacky that it is serving as additional proof that the critics of this often criminal and always abusive organization have been correct all along.

And finally, by wrapping themselves in the Burqa of religion and begging for tolerance of their own intolerant behavior is nothing less than the height of chutzpah!

purple haze

Patron with Honors
The church's actions speak louder than all their pr. Thanks to the Internet, there is now little fear in getting the truth out. Thanks to Mike, Churchill, and all who speak out! Aloha! :hattip:

Excellent point.

The problem is that the abuse is not an outlier of non-sanctioned behavior.

The actions and methods of Fair Gaming, Disconnection, Dead Agenting ; the harassment, intimidation, and unconscionable ultra high pressure tactics; the way in which criticism is stifled and put down are mandated and operate at the level of "Scripture" within the organization.

The utterly insane reaction to Alex Gibney's film, first by the unintelligible, expletive laden Hollywood moron, Danny Masterson, followed by the "church's" criticism of Alex Gibney's father, is so non-sequitur and wacky that it is serving as additional proof that the critics of this often criminal and always abusive organization have been correct all along.

And finally, by wrapping themselves in the Burqa of religion and begging for tolerance of their own intolerant behavior is nothing less than the height of chutzpah!

Churchill

Gold Meritorious Patron

Lots of GO/OSA staff made their way to Singer Associates in the 80's.

It was a safe haven for them, like Argentina and Bolivia were to the Nazis.

When I was on lines, he was over at the FSC OT Committee in LA off and on, and doing OT 7. He once told me, or perhaps I overheard it, that he was so very proud - He got a "VWD Henning" from Mary Sue. I like him, Mary, and their daughter, who's name I can't recall. Once upon a time there was a People magazine spread on them - they came across as so safe and normal. Their daughter, a real cutie pie, I would see frequently at Flag - she was running reception, or one of the hotels or something. I wonder what ever happened to her?

Mimsey

Yes it is. Last I heard, he was on OT 8.

Peoplescientology01low.jpg