What's new

Milestone Two: People don't leave the COS because they are PTS to the middle class

Udarnik

Gold Meritorious Patron
Re: Milestone Two: People don't leave the COS because they are PTS to the middle clas

I looked up Tom's book at Amazom. Cringe. Here's a review.
http://www.amazon.com/Vietnam-Teenage-Wasteland-Hippie-Zone/dp/1478350849

Really?
By XXX January 14, 2013
Format: Kindle Edition Verified Purchase
"Where do I start? This book is supposedly a non fiction memoir. Ok I'll take this guy's word for that and thank him for his service to our country. But there are so many factual error's and a sense of unreality to this book that I was constantly wondering,what in the world is this guy remembering? From the beginning when he asserts that he is trying to answer FAQ's about the war to the battle's he fought in, I never get the feeling that this guy was there. Again,I'm not doubting his service but I have real problem's with his recollections of his time in Vietnam. Even if this book was a novel, the terminology and the glossing over of, first which unit was he in and 2nd, the combat he engaged in is very irritating. I don't see how anybody who is familiar with Vietnam Memoir's could possibly find this book enjoyable and at 7.99, it's way overpriced. Normally I wouldn't criticize a book someone has written of his time in combat but I cannot in good conscience allow someone else to buy this book without getting a more fair review, than is offered in all the 5 star rating's it got. Disappointed to say the least and a feeling of being ripped off. If it ever come's on the market at a cheaper price, say .99, then read it and see what I'm talking about. I had no idea they're were Orangutans in Vietnam."

I thought this was the most damning one:

This book is so bad in so many ways. I knew it was going to be bad when the author could not even get the length of a kilometer correct. I mean this guy had bullets supposedly landing next to his head or between his legs every few minutes. Some other absolutely inane things. An Air Force sortie flown by four generals? A combat infantry captain ostensibly deferring to a Spec 4 RTO to direct the movements of unit using his 'mental map' when there were still effectives (platoon leaders, squad leaders and company NCO' s) alive and in charge? Getting out of situations where the unit was surrounded by walking through the enemy's lines, numerous times? I could go on but why bother? This sure as hell wasn't the same army I was in from June 68 to June 69 in Vietnam.

Bold is mine.

prosecco

Patron Meritorious
Re: Milestone Two: People don't leave the COS because they are PTS to the middle clas

This book is so bad in so many ways. I knew it was going to be bad when the author could not even get the length of a kilometer correct. I mean this guy had bullets supposedly landing next to his head or between his legs every few minutes. Some other absolutely inane things. An Air Force sortie flown by four generals? A combat infantry captain ostensibly deferring to a Spec 4 RTO to direct the movements of unit using his 'mental map' when there were still effectives (platoon leaders, squad leaders and company NCO' s) alive and in charge? Getting out of situations where the unit was surrounded by walking through the enemy's lines, numerous times? I could go on but why bother? This sure as hell wasn't the same army I was in from June 68 to June 69 in Vietnam.

Bold is mine.

Oh I don't know, he's following in the steps of his idol; fictional war record, false memory, embellishment, and attributing his success to his own mental energy.

And shocking grammar.

BunnySkull

Silver Meritorious Patron

Bold is mine.

Yeah, I thought this one was "nail in coffin" type of review because it detailed specifically what type of unbelievable claims were being made and pointed out in some instances why they were totally ridiculous.

FBM found another of the good ones I had read.

Just interesting reading reviews by the few non-Scientologists or individuals that aren't friends/acquaintances of Tom's and comparing those by his indie friends. Almost all of the indie friend reviews use the type of flowery generalities that demonstrate they did not even bother to read the book.

Last edited:

BunnySkull

Silver Meritorious Patron

Forgot this humdinger from Tom's "independence announcement" on Marty's blog. Good lord he's just scary, and still in that mindset after being out of the SO for the past 13 years.

Tom Martinino said:
Remember, we made oaths to LRH and we are still the cream of the crop, the ones who cannot be sold a bill of goods to. We will get Scientology back and we will clear this planet. It’s RJ 67 folks and we are all part of the new game to defeat suppression, get ethics in and then clear this mud ball.